ADVERTISEMENT

NBA draft

ConorONeill

Cameron Crazy
Staff
Aug 13, 2021
I wasn't going to do much with the draft but since it's been discussed ad nauseam over the last 14-16 hours ...

Those personal problems with Kyle Filipowski that were mentioned during the season (can't remember which thread) are out there, now. His fiancé is significantly older -- I think 27 -- and is the main factor behind Filipowski having zero relationship with his family, including his twin brother. Just a strange situation. I'm not here to judge the kid for his relationship with his family and/or the company that he keeps, just trying to shed light on the situation I alluded to during the season.

Tend to think it's a stretch to latch onto that as the biggest reason he fell out of the first round. He's a 6-11 tweener, as we've discussed here before. The NBA isn't sold enough on him as a stretch-4 because he can't defend the perimeter, and he's not tough or strong enough inside to play the 5.

When you have those things working against you *and* add in whatever character concerns exist, the reasons for teams to stay away from spending a first-round pick start to add up.

Anyway ... Jared McCain drafted 16th overall last night, here was the quick story I did. Flip is sure to be drafted early when the draft resumes and I'll have a story on that, too.

Elsewhere with former Blue Devils: Wendell Moore Jr. was traded to Detroit (from Minnesota) and A.J. Griffin was traded to Houston (from Atlanta) today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News