ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS SYRACUSE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Who thinks Battle would still be playing college ball if he went to Duke? Would he have declared already? Would he have declared because he would have been showcased more (Duke effect) or would he have declared because he would lose playing time due to talented OAD freshman players taking his minutes each year.

I think the OAD recruiting has somewhat caused Duke to miss out on good multi year players like Battle. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. I’d rather have Reddish, Tatum, Trent Jr., et al for one year than Battle for four. I think if the NBA changes it to 18 then we’re going to see more Duke players like Battle, Cook, Seth, et al be the stars at Duke and college basketball. I’m happy either way as long as Duke keeps winning.

Reactions: skysdad
Who thinks Battle would still be playing college ball if he went to Duke? Would he have declared already? Would he have declared because he would have been showcased more (Duke effect) or would he have declared because he would lose playing time due to talented OAD freshman players taking his minutes each year.

I think the OAD recruiting has somewhat caused Duke to miss out on good multi year players like Battle. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. I’d rather have Reddish, Tatum, Trent Jr., et al for one year than Battle for four. I think if the NBA changes it to 18 then we’re going to see more Duke players like Battle, Cook, Seth, et al be the stars at Duke and college basketball. I’m happy either way as long as Duke keeps winning.

We recruited him hard, he picked Michigan then flipped to cuse. Yeah we’ve had a ton leave early that I thought would stay( Jackson, kennard for example) but somehow Roy will keep nas and coby for 3 years. With that being said we need some 3-4 year guys, hopefully boggie, joey etc stay around.

Good news - In our last game against ‘Cuse we were lit up by Battle - That would be Tre’s defensive assignment. Noting that, we raise our chances tremendously.
Bad News - They out-rebounded us in that last game. They aren’t even a top rebounding team but given that fact and the fact that Zion isn’t playing... I’m a little worried.

If we fire 3’s at our normal rate we have to shoot well to win without Zion. If we (hopefully) take a smart approach and try to keep our scoring attempts inside the arc, I think we pull out the win.

Not saying that it’s a good thing Zion is out for this one..... But I’m kind of glad he is. These guys need to prove they can win without him. Of course we all know they can, but the media buzz of that accusation from the UNC game has to be weighing on their minds. “That we can’t play without Zion” — These guys need to pull out a win tonight for the sake of their own confidence.

Both teams will be wired for this one, and I like a "K" team with time to prepare. RJ & Cam must come up big (again), and they must have help from Bolden, Alex, and or Jack. Tre could surprise & be 3rd scorer?!
"D" will be a key for us, and if we are talking and helping, and can stay out of foul trouble, Duke will get a huuuuge win tonight.
Go Duke!
OFC

I had us picked to win this, but that was before the Boheim incident. I think his team rallies around him today and pulls out a win. Without Zion to break that zone, we got trouble.

I can't wait until OAD is over. Don't get me wrong, I love having our star frosh come to Duke but I miss watching players like Nolan Smith grow and mature and transform into great players by their senior years.

I can't wait until OAD is over. Don't get me wrong, I love having our star frosh come to Duke but I miss watching players like Nolan Smith grow and mature and transform into great players by their senior years.

I couldn’t agree more. It’s been a fun era but I’m ready for the glory days to come back.

Since we are not playing at home, I think we will take this one by 10.

Last edited:
If we play RJ at foul line and either Alex or Jack can hit some threes I think we win...if not..and RJ hovers around the perimeter and we don’t have someone at free throw line than can shoot I think we lose....

Best chance in the history of basketball to get blown out.

Surprised that Syracuse isn’t ripping a page out of the Louisville playbook and going with a blackout. (Or maybe they are?) — I don’t want them to mentally sabotage us or use the black jerseys to their advantage but after RJ ran his mouth, I certainly wouldn’t blame the marketing department if they chose to do it.

Jersey colors are nothing more than just that, a color. But mentally, it raises our play.

I think RJ has a big game for his buddy(you know the one he is jealous of) lol

Time to kick the crap out of the Orange arse

This game is the biggest one of RJ’s career. Not even in terms of carrying this team to the win, but this is the game NBA scouts will be putting an emphasis on... They know the raw talent and upside is astronomically high, but is it JUST raw talent, or is he as polished as advertised?

Can he lead a team to victory?
How does he perform without Zion?
Is he efficient?
Does he make the right shot selections?

This game is the biggest one of RJ’s career. Not even in terms of carrying this team to the win, but this is the game NBA scouts will be putting an emphasis on... They know the raw talent and upside is astronomically high, but is it JUST raw talent, or is he as polished as advertised?

Can he lead a team to victory?
How does he perform without Zion?
Is he efficient?
Does he make the right shot selections?

Not really...even a bad game tonight he still gets drafted #2

Reactions: gottagonow
Not really...even a bad game tonight he still gets drafted #2

Eh, I think most boards have him 3rd. Ja Morant is really looking like a resurrection of Derrick Rose coming out of college. If the Wizards would be lucky enough to select 2nd, they’d probably snag RJ.

I’m not vetting that he wins / loses all his marbles on this game but I think a lot of scouts are interested in seeing him perform without the Zion show interferring.

Morant is a complete mystery to me. I've read his story, so I know how all this played out, but I still don't get how he was so under the radar in recruiting. Unless he really just wasn't that good and has somehow blown up, it just makes no sense to me

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Wizards went with Cam at 3. They already have Beal as the starting sg (AllStar) unless they want to play RJ at the SF (possible). But skipping on RJ could get you fired in the future

Eh, I think most boards have him 3rd. Ja Morant is really looking like a resurrection of Derrick Rose coming out of college. If the Wizards would be lucky enough to select 2nd, they’d probably snag RJ.

I’m not vetting that he wins / loses all his marbles on this game but I think a lot of scouts are interested in seeing him perform without the Zion show interferring.

It's just about game time. Not much to say . No doubt Coach K has a great game plan. We are capable talented team and get on board with the game plan and we will win.See you guys at halftime. OFC

Not sure what to think of Jav getting the start over Bolden. I get it with Alex for Shooting hopefully.

It's taken 10 minutes to play the last minute of the VT/ND game. Ridiculas. OFC

Reactions: crazyduke3
Another College basketball game that just will not end despite being under 30 seconds. Drives me nuts.

down 7 points with 5 seconds left and Mike Brey calling a time out. JUST DIE ALREADY

Jack up a three then turnover, give up offensive rebound for a 3 .Good start .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT