ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

K said in his postgame presser that he stopped calling plays at halftime. Told the kids to go out there, move the ball and to keep themselves moving. He thought they were pretty fortunate only being down 10. I would agree with that.

The K haters will say that it's indicative of his coaching and that makes him overrated. Basketball people will understand he stopped overthinking. I'm neither and just want him to coach forever.

K said in his postgame presser that he stopped calling plays at halftime. Told the kids to go out there, move the ball and to keep themselves moving. He thought they were pretty fortunate only being down 10. I would agree with that.
Duval said the same thing. Said at halftime that K didn’t talk x’s and o’s. Just told them to go out there and play ball. He also pretty much confirmed the entire starting five isn’t returning, not that is shocking news.

Am I tripping or do we play the zone better than Syracuse does? UNC put up 91 on Syracuse I believe. This zone made a believer out of me. I hope we don’t play it next year but this year it’s magic

Duval said the same thing. Said at halftime that K didn’t talk x’s and o’s. Just told them to go out there and play ball. He also pretty much confirmed the entire starting five isn’t returning, not that is shocking news.

No offense to Coach K but that isnt coaching...its advising at best. He's better than that. Even with a talented starting 5 you have to maximize the talent of each to make it the best team possible. Just saying go play is the easy way out.

No offense to Coach K but that isnt coaching...its advising at best. He's better than that. Even with a talented starting 5 you have to maximize the talent of each to make it the best team possible. Just saying go play is the easy way out.

Or it's a coach saying exactly what the team needs to hear. It's certainly possible that he saw the impact micro managing the play calls was having and wanted them to loosen up.

So while it may have been the easy way out, it worked. Seems like pretty good coaching to me.

Or it's a coach saying exactly what the team needs to hear. It's certainly possible that he saw the impact micro managing the play calls was having and wanted them to loosen up.

So while it may have been the easy way out, it worked. Seems like pretty good coaching to me.
I see that POV but as I stated, with a talented team the easy thing to do is just say go play. It may seem like geniusbut to me its the least path of resistence or coaching in this case.

I saw that as well. Both he and Allen mentioned basically playing an organized pickup game in the second half. Hopefully that is what we will do the rest of the season. To be fair... he did say something like “I won’t be playing with any of the guys in the starting 5 again” so that could mean that he or Trent could return and that statement would still hold true.

We need to read situations better. It is not easy to play with tempo while also playing zone. Our offense isn’t solid in a pure half court sense. We need to find ways to speed it up on offense while slowing it down on defense. Tough but that is our strength

I saw that as well. Both he and Allen mentioned basically playing an organized pickup game in the second half. Hopefully that is what we will do the rest of the season. To be fair... he did say something like “I won’t be playing with any of the guys in the starting 5 again” so that could mean that he or Trent could return and that statement would still hold true.
No problem with them chasing their dreams but I just hope we hang on to our key role players...

As far as adjustments a good coach is not going to tell you everything he did. It was plain to see Bagley was moving more and coming out to the top of the key to get the ball.

Actually, letting go/giving up control is extremely hard to do. Especially for a coach who really can coach. Also was a very risky move. Could have resulted in a real embarrassing blowout. It was more than taking the easy way out. It recognized that the over thinking and structure slowed them down which they could not afford against a more experienced team that was playing great as a team. Less thinking led to a better offensive flow and allowed the better talent to overcome the better teamwork.

Reactions: dbav
or

Coaching is more than just calling plays. So I’m not sure what you are getting at here.

Micro managing a team that either knows how to play with each other via experience or has a lot of talent that you don’t want to hold them back with too much coaching or system isn’t a good idea. Sometimes maximizing the talent of each is letting them make plays and play instinctively. Especially when you have worked on those instincts all year long.

Am I tripping or do we play the zone better than Syracuse does? UNC put up 91 on Syracuse I believe. This zone made a believer out of me. I hope we don’t play it next year but this year it’s magic
I'm not sure we play it better than they do. We're much more talented than they are.

Fun day. When they want to be, they're unstoppable. I've been critical over Grayson over the years but he's proven himself this year. No matter what happens going forward, I love seeing him leave Cameron like that.

I see that POV but as I stated, with a talented team the easy thing to do is just say go play. It may seem like geniusbut to me its the least path of resistence or coaching in this case.
Coaching is understanding your team and what it takes to get them to play at their best.

I have a 9:20 tee time and it's gonna be 38*....I'm gonna go to the bathroom and take an ipsycosis and go to bed....Talk to you guys tomorrow......Don't Underestimate Krzyzewski's Empire......see what I did there????!!!!

Reactions: Dad2ze
I also wanna give a shout to Javin. Thought he gave some good minutes last night.

Reactions: Mpm277
The last 7-8 minutes you guys really shut us down. No two ways about it.

That was brutal to watch. And it’s a trend that has become all too familiar throughout the decade. We take a lead in Cameron, we falter down the stretch.

The last 7-8 minutes you guys really shut us down. No two ways about it.

That was brutal to watch. And it’s a trend that has become all too familiar throughout the decade. We take a lead in Cameron, we falter down the stretch.
It’s a familiar trend for us too, especially this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT