ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS KENTUCKY - CHAMPIONS CLASSIC - OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
There are so many "can't believes" associated with tonight's game. I can't believe another year is upon us, last year was, well, forgettable in SO many ways. I can't believe how many years I've been a part of DI (I believe this is year 19 and year 14 as "the guy that makes the gameday threads" lol). That's a really long time. But most of all, I can't believe every game that goes by this year, we're a game closer to the event no true Duke fan has ever wanted to happen - Coach K's retirement.

I've followed Duke closely since the 1985-86 season and have thought about when his retirement will come so many times. But I'm not sure we can every truly prepare for it. He has built this program from the ground up and done it with class. He's the best that's ever done it, and he's adapted to the game year after year after year instead of doing what most veteran coaches would do at the end, try and force the game to adapt to them.

With that said, beginning tonight, I'm going to put a fact about Coach K in every gameday thread I make the remainder of the year. Some might be no brainers, some might surprise you, and some you may not have had a clue is true, but I'd like to honor what he's meant to me personally, and all of us as Duke fans.

#1: Coach K is the all time leader in both ACC tournament wins (67) and ACC tournament championships (15). That basically means that Coach K's Duke teams have won every third ACC tourney championship since he began coaching in 1980. That is truly remarkable.

Alright, onto tonight. I'm not really sure what to expect except for likely a sloppy game. That said, I love the Champions Classic and kicking off college hoops every year with it.

Tonight's game is slated to tip at 9:30pm est and will air on ESPN.

Duke - 80

Kentucky - 76

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let’s gooooooooo! Hype for this year. Been waiting for this day since half way through last season.

Duke by 10+. I think we dominate the paint because we will make enough shots to keep them honest. I’m almost certain we will run them off the 3 point line and funnel them right to Mark and Theo. I will be watching Moore closely and hoping he actually turned the corner this year. Paolo should have a huge game.

So happy CBB season is here!

Duke only -1 is a bit unnerving but I hope the boys play well together and start to build something special.

Go Duke!

So happy CBB season is here!

Duke only -1 is a bit unnerving but I hope the boys play well together and start to build something special.

Go Duke!
Meh, UK was the fav in 118-84, lines mean jack ultimately.

Duke will struggle a bit early but we will have the best player tonight in Banchero, and possibly the country and we’ll lean on him to lead us to a 81-73 W.

Reactions: Liftee
Duke by ten .

I think a lot of people are sleeping on this Duke team and the players. Especially the ones not named Paolo.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
A dogfight. Us 79, them 76, We need to expect a fight and hit free throws. I'll gladly eat crow if we win easily. Cal doesn't like to play zone, but it would make sense. That's why I think they will press us as they are deep in the backcourt. We will find out how the freshman do under the big lights.

Last edited:
Thanks K-Ville!! Really appreciate your game posts all these years. Coach K has won 1 out of every 3 ACC Tournaments. Wow.

I have to admit to sleepwalking through Duke basketball ever since the ACCT was cancelled in March 2020. We were only a couple days removed from a shellacking of UNC at the hands of Vern's 25 and 10 and Tre's 21 and 11. We were putting it together at the right time and there were no sky high expectations from the media--very similar to 2010. A legit chance to hit #6 for Coach.

Well, shit it didn't happen. The last two seasons we have won the final game we played--yet no trophies to show for it. This is the year we get to see it through to the end, for better or worse. I would love nothing more than a win tonight. But more importantly, want to see this team grow together throughout the year. Because of K's retirement, I think we will have an easier time galvanizing and rallying around each other. A lot of reasons to be optimistic this season.

Reactions: GillJET
It will be the first time to watch many of these players in a Duke shirt so for that I am excited....don't know any of the UK players so it will be interesting viewing

Thanks K-Ville!! Really appreciate your game posts all these years. Coach K has won 1 out of every 3 ACC Tournaments. Wow.

I have to admit to sleepwalking through Duke basketball ever since the ACCT was cancelled in March 2020. We were only a couple days removed from a shellacking of UNC at the hands of Vern's 25 and 10 and Tre's 21 and 11. We were putting it together at the right time and there were no sky high expectations from the media--very similar to 2010. A legit chance to hit #6 for Coach.

Well, shit it didn't happen. The last two seasons we have won the final game we played--yet no trophies to show for it. This is the year we get to see it through to the end, for better or worse. I would love nothing more than a win tonight. But more importantly, want to see this team grow together throughout the year. Because of K's retirement, I think we will have an easier time galvanizing and rallying around each other. A lot of reasons to be optimistic this season.
i hate it for that team...things were clicking and gelling at the right time...and I so wanted to see tourney Justin Robinson

Reactions: AlanInNJ
The only thing that concerns me is the sky high, POY type expectations for Banchero. He will be very good, but even Tatum took a while to get going. There will be some growing pains with our freshman. I just want a win tonight.

Reactions: Liftee
UK very unsure after only beating Miles College by 8. They might be easy pickings like last time. Too many guys hunting their shot, trying to get playing time.

I feel a lot better about Duke’s trip to Columbus later this month

I watched both scrimmages. The team Kentucky played had some better talent. But Duke looked much more cohesive on both ends. Usually Coach K has the team ready and confident in November, and Kentucky is known for slow starts under Cal. I think we can win this by 10+ points if they defend the perimeter well. We have arguably the most talent in the nation once again. And oh yea, it's K's last season, hard not to be PUMPED to start it.

Duke - 87
Kentucky - 74

I’m so excited but I doubt if I make it to halftime! Why couldn’t we play at 7:00?!
It feels so good to see the arena full of fans! Let’s go DUKE!

Kentucky got back with team work while we chucked up unnecessary 3s.
Nice alley keels and mark!

Oscar really shouldn’t be killing us on the boards as much as he is. Gotta get better positioning

Wow. Regardless of the outcome here … We have some serious physicality out there. Really love it!

Love that Moore is in better shape.

We just need to find some 3 point shooting and set up some players for that.

Otherwise, I LOVE the potential I am seeing.

How does ware run into John and it’s a foul on John? Lmao

Ware legit elbowed John immediately after too and nothing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT