ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS KANSAS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD**

Frank, only one that was even challenging his shots or keeping him in front. Probably would have fouled him though with the way game was called

Mason blew by Frank twice in the last five minutes. I think the best hope was that Matt keeps Mason in front of him, makes him shoot off-balance and then Mason misses. Two out of three happened.

Always sucks to lose but a lot of great signs from this game.

Chase silenced critics ( except that awful failed dunk) and show some great stuff.

Amile was outstanding with 4 fouls, great D.

Frank and Luke awesome.

Turnovers will be cleaned up.

Oh and they needed a last second shot to beat us while 3 stars await their turn. We'll be fine.

From a coaching standpoint I can't argue with you about making right handed shooters go right (see: Gordon Hayward 2010), but gimpy Grayson, apparently horrid defender Luke, and scared Frank weren't going to do much better (those were the superlatives that our players had to face from their fans tonight).
Don't disagree but take the ball out of his hands

With 8 seconds duke could have drawn something to get it out of his hands
Better be careful

As for some rooting for Matt to fail give me a break. Why would anyone want a player on their team that plays major minutes to do bad??

Chase silenced critics ( except that awful failed dunk) and show some great stuff.

Frank and Luke awesome.

Oh and they needed a last second shot to beat us while 3 stars await their turn. We'll be fine.
Seriously...enjoy the win as a Kansas fan, but this Duke Team could be significantly different IF these teams even see each other again

Frank, only one that was even challenging his shots or keeping him in front. Probably would have fouled him though with the way game was called

Not to kill Frank, but Mason and Graham had him on a strong tonight because he still plays face front D. He won't show a shoulder yet.

Matt or the last shot aren't why we lost. It's just not. How about we hit 3 more free throws. We had a lot of chances? How about 2 or 3 less turnovers? Bottom line it was a great fight under difficult circumstances. That was a team fight that they'll be able to learn from.

With 8 seconds duke could have drawn something to get it out of his hands

They spread the floor like they should have, a double team in open court would not have helped, he is too quick. So you are really saying Coach K lost this one in the timeout?

Just asking who you are blaming?

Reactions: Dukesince90

Just for arguments sake you wanted the guy who committed 4 identical fouls tonight by using his hands every time someone tried to go by him. Would you rather frank make a shot from the top of the key or get 2 chances to make 1 free throw?

Just because Frank is the most athletic of the bunch doesn't mean he should be thrown on an island against a player playing out of his mind

Better be careful

As for some rooting for Matt to fail give me a break. Why would anyone want a player on their team that plays major minutes to do bad??

No, you better be careful.

I don't think you root for him to fail, but when he does bad you're sure to point it out.

Not to kill Frank, but Mason and Graham had him on a strong tonight because he still plays face front D. He won't show a shoulder yet.

Matt or the last shot aren't why we lost. It's just not. How about we hit 3 more free throws. We had a lot of chances? How about 2 or 3 less turnovers? Bottom line it was a great fight under difficult circumstances. That was a team fight that they'll be able to learn from.
oh I agree. Turnovers, rebounding, and Grayson shooting were main reasons we lost.

Seriously...enjoy the win as a Kansas fan, but this Duke Team could be significantly different IF these teams even see each other again
Yeah. No shade to KU. They're a solid team and they played through some crap calls to get the W. But our B team - and I hesitate to say that; maybe A- team? - took them to the wire. They did better than I thought they were going to do! I'm really proud of them and feel great about this team's potential.

Reactions: Mpm277
Don't disagree but take the ball out of his hands

I see that. You risk a foul if you play too hard off ball and no coach is doubling 35 feet from the basket.

This was almost the same situation we got to kill Zeller for when Austin popped one in his face. A disadvantaged situation where the offense was better than the defense.

Yeah. No shade to KU. They're a solid team and they played through some crap calls to get the W. But our B team - and I hesitate to say that; maybe A- team? - took them to the wire. They did better than I thought they were going to do! I'm really proud of them and feel great about this team's potential.
Thought Kansas could have reasonably won by 5-10 given the circumstances but they didn't. Moreover Duke's ceiling is tremendously high given of course that we see the full roster at some point, knock on wood

Reactions: Neners
Disappointed that we didn't pull out the win but very happy with the way our guys kept playing hard at the end and fought hard and never gave up. With the way we played tonight it has me really excited and looking forward to seeing how good we're going to be once we have Giles, Tatum and Bolden healthy and ready to play. It's going to be a REALLY fun and exciting season for us as Duke fans.

No, you better be careful.

I don't think you root for him to fail, but when he does bad you're sure to point it out.

What exactly have I done to make you be such a jerk? I quit talking about Matt after you came down authoritarian and I didn't say anything else. If you got a problem tell me. As for when he does bad pointing it out dang right I will. I said how awful Grayson was tonight too. Does that upset you? Why not berate me for that as well? When someone else sucks I'll say so too. And what do I need to be careful of? Please tell me because I haven't done one thing for you to act like this over. Also don't pull your little "stop playing the victim" or "grow up" cards because I want a real answer

Get your licks in now haters. Kansas is a real contender and one of the best teams in the country, and they needed a bucket on their last possession to put away a Duke team with a star who couldn't throw it in the ocean, and three 1st round draft picks watching the game in Reservoir Dogs ties. Be on watch:
aea3b3c95be16b368691732609d4b6cdcc53759dd386880dd1251b926ce48b08.jpg

Thought Kansas could have reasonably won by 5-10 given the circumstances but they didn't. Moreover Duke's ceiling is tremendously high given of course that we see the full roster at some point, knock on wood
Our biggest advantage over them ideally would be our frontcourt, but we're so thin down low right now. I really thought they'd clip us by about 10.

Jackson fouling out was crucial as well. I think we see both of these teams in the Final Four if we can get and then stay healthy. And I bet it will be just as close the next time too.

Pisgah I always love your post and stand by you brother. Your just frustrated by the loss like a lot of us. Nothing wrong with pointing out what Matt could have done better at all but also make sure to be vocal about the good he brought us tonight he deserves that also. Our mods are a lil tough on you but they can't help but stick up for our Duke players. I'd say not bad fault to have. Hang in their bud and keep your head up, Duke will be better and Matt will be also and in the end, we'll all be high fiving each other!!

Reactions: pisgah101
Pisgah I always love your post and stand by you brother. Your just frustrated by the loss like a lot of us. Nothing wrong with pointing out what Matt could have done better at all but also make sure to be vocal about the good he brought us tonight he deserves that also. Our mods are a lil tough on you but they can't help but stick up for our Duke players. I'd say not bad fault to have. Hang in their bud and keep your head up, Duke will be better and Matt will be also and in the end, we'll all be high fiving each other!!

Thank crazyduke3. I agree

I don't think any of us mods have an issue with pointing out a player's fault. I haven't had any real arguments with pigsah or nasty or anyone else. For me it's been civilized debate.

The problem I see and the way it rubs us wrong is the way it comes out and comes across. It just feels a little more aggressive towards Matt than it does other guys and my problem with it is that Matt is the one painted in a corner. He's in a role that we've all agreed he probably won't be in for long and probably shouldn't have to be in. Due to circumstances though he is. In my personal opinion, I'd rather appreciate his plight rather than bury him and that's just how it feels. Feels like he gets buried and all he's doing is what's asked of him.

No arguments, just sensitive to his situation. That's how I view it.

I don't think any of us mods have an issue with pointing out a player's fault. I haven't had any real arguments with pigsah or nasty or anyone else. For me it's been civilized debate.

The problem I see and the way it rubs us wrong is the way it comes out and comes across. It just feels a little more aggressive towards Matt than it does other guys and my problem with it is that Matt is the one painted in a corner. He's in a role that we've all agreed he probably won't be in for long and probably shouldn't have to be in. Due to circumstances though he is. In my personal opinion, I'd rather appreciate his plight rather than bury him and that's just how it feels. Feels like he gets buried and all he's doing is what's asked of him.

No arguments, just sensitive to his situation. That's how I view it.

Thank you for responding. I can see and understand that viewpoint.

We're ultimately all fans of this program and team and want to see them succeed. Sometimes our frustrations come out but in the end we want to see the same thing: beat down UNC and make a run for a ship

I agree wholeheartedly. You do a good job Hokie

Thanks pigsah.

Back to the squad, I still hope, regardless of getting our three guys back, I really hope in practice Javin can give K a reason to trust him. Amile had to do way too much tonight with foul trouble. And he was getting severely outmuscled. Sometimes that brute strength can be countered with athleticism which Javin has in spades.

Disappointed in the loss, but in the end this is just a bump in the road on the way to achieving what is our ultimate goal( ACC regular season champs, and tournament champions and of course a sixth natty!) To only lose by two not being in full strength speaks volumes on how good this team can be full strength. As the ol saying goes "I ain't worried bout nothing":p

Let's Go Duke!!

Last edited:
I just

Frank and Luke awesome.

I think we'll be fine when we get the rest of the team back if they learn to play all aspects of the game like K wants but I am really concerned about when that will be. We had too many stretches of awful basketball tonight when our leaders couldn't get anything to go in and we looked at times like we struggled to score or play D but the refs wouldn't let either team play . We had some bright spots like Chase but we shouldn't ever need to depend on him for our strength instead of our best players. There will be better days for Duke basketball this year than this game.

Last edited:
Thanks pigsah.

Back to the squad, I still hope, regardless of getting our three guys back, I really hope in practice Javin can give K a reason to trust him. Amile had to do way too much tonight with foul trouble. And he was getting severely outmuscled. Sometimes that brute strength can be countered with athleticism which Javin has in spades.

That's my negative take-away from tonight. I'm pretty ok with everything else. Grayson played like azz ( it happens ) and give credit to KU. Made it tough for Duke to score in stretches and killed 'em on the glass. Jeter is way better than last season. Jackson didn't play well but was clutch at the end. Fearless too. Guys were gassed there at the end. Just don't know why Javin wouldn't have played. Energy , athletic...what's the problem? K knows better than me but woulda been nice to see the kid in there. Jus' sayin.' Not gonna fall back on "what coulda been" but others said so...

Overall I thought the game was very un-enjoyable to watch..and one point I actually almost fell asleep...

The officiating was absolutely terrible both ways and really sucked the excitement out of the game for me..I'm really glad I didn't spend any money to go to the game...

If college basketball is going to be played like that it's going to go downhill fast..just not fun or exciting to watch..and that's coming from an absolute die hard Duke fan..

Moving forward I'm most anxious to get guys back..I'm really tired of watching us play a six man rotation and foul trouble and fatigue doing us in...

They played hard..hope guys return soon...

The officials took an extremely letter of the law approach to the game. I agree with the above. Touch fouls and travel calls every 27 seconds. The last 5-10 minutes of the game finally picked up at a viewer friendly pace.

Fell asleep at 10pm. I was happy with what I saw before that. I wish Javin and Jack had seen 5 minutes each, but that's not K's MO.

All those kids hit some big shots in the end....wish the bench would have seen some action especially in the first half foul a thon....gritty come back...well be alright

It's one game. Not even a significant one really. Yes the officiating was horrible both ways. So many fouls were called and so many turnovers it was painful to watch (holy cow, did I just agree with something K-oach posted?? :) ) I thought we looked out of sorts a lot on offense, but with so many injuries that is inevitable.

As noted, when down, our guys fought back and had a chance. Chase showed some great potential tonight on a big stage. Matt made some threes. Grayson will be back with a fury. Frank is going to be just fine. We'll all be fine.

Settle in for a long season ahead with a LOT more W's than L's, I guarantee it.

We're among the top 6-7 teams in the country and will be adding two more starters at some point. I'd say we're looking great. I love this time of year! Football on Sat/Sun. NBA gearing up. And K shaking his head at bad calls. Enjoy the week everyone!

Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT