ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS KANSAS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD**

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Hoop season is here!!!! I'm really excited about tonight's matchup but it's certainly concerning that three impact freshman are out. All I've read is that they're now going to be extra cautious. Any chance they don't play until after Christmas?

Tonight's game features a hungry Kansas squad that will be ready to play after a season-opening loss. The Jayhawks feature a stud, senior point-guard in Frank Mason who can simply take over a game over when he wants. Compliment that with the ESPN #1 player in the country last year, Josh Jackson, you're going to win a lot of games.

Unfortunately one of those wins will not be tonight against Duke. Our experience and depth will give us the edge which I think pushes us to the win.

Tonight's game is slated for a 9:30pm est tip and will air on ESPNHD.

Duke 73

Kansas 69

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Garden will be buzzing tonight, can't wait to get in there! KU guards are dynamite but hope our experience wins out. Big stage for Kennard to show what he's made of.

Duke - 83
Kansas - 81

Trying to figure out which watering hole to hit beforehand.

Grayson takes over if we're in trouble..
Duke-88
KU-83

My heart wants this win so badly, but my head simply tells me it's not happening. Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum and Bolden all sitting out is a little more than this team can take in a huge matchup like this. Foul trouble will lead to wishing those 3 were here. If they WERE healthy, I'd think we win this game by 10-12 points.

Think this will be a tough one for us to win. KU coming all the way back from Hawaii in a few days could hurt them a bit but I'll still take them.

KU- 81
DU- 72

Duke- 88
Kansass- 74

I look for Amile to play great D and get a double double. Great leadership and too much fire power from behind the three. After tonight people are going to realize how scary Duke will be when we get healthy.

I'd love to be wrong, but Duke is out three eventual NBA players. I think KU might be the second best team in the country, after a healthy Duke. It is going to be tough to pull out a win against a team that good with all that talent in street clothes, but the good news is that if anyone can figure out how to get that done it is K.

One of the interesting things about tonight's game is with UK playing in the first game and KU in the second (do I have my initials right?) this may be the first time since Duke played St. John's that the MSG crowd won't be solidly behind Duke.

I expect Matt Jones to have a big game simply because no one here thinks he will. Hey why not?

84-81 Duke. Just no overtime please. I'll get home after 1 a.m. as it is.

I hate to say it, Kansas 76 Duke 72.
Hope I'm wrong. I want to see how Frank reacts to this big stage.

I'll take Duke in a tight one. The key will be two things;

Will our guards trust Amile to put up points?

Will Jeter play well?

Hope Javin gets REAL action

Amile with strong leadership and 18 rebounds, 8 offensive. Matt shushes those who question him and goes 5 for 7 from 3. Grayson is Grayson (without the tripping nonsense). Jeter pushes bigs around underneath and dominates the paint alongside Amile. Frank is Stones-like in his first big game. Luke hits a game winner at the buzzer.

Duke 81
Kansas 79

Reactions: LTDukeFan and dbav
I absolutely hate to do this, but for the first time I'm predicting a Duke defeat. PLEASE let me be wrong.
OFC

We're short a ton of talent, but just looking at the KU/Indiana box score (albeit a very, very small sample size :), they have a few problems also). First, the KU defense gave up 103 points...even if it was OT, that's a bunch of points. Indiana spanked them on the boards 50-39, and shot lights out against them from 3. Mason also played 40 of 45 minutes...I'm not sure if he's used to playing heavy minutes, but it may be a necessity for them.

Anyway, we've got Grayson, Luke, and Frank that can fill it up. If we're able to hit a decent percentage of 3's, and don't get in foul trouble, I think we're going to be just fine. K and Duke will be ready, and the Blue Devils will pull out a win.

Duke 80
KU 77

OFC

Reactions: DoUKnwEny1
Since the season is just now getting started and we really don't have much to go by, I'm turning to KenPom.
Duke has the number 1 offense and the number 14 defense.
Kansas has the number 5 offense and the number 7 defense.

I'll say..
Kansas 79
Duke 75

images

Reactions: nickris
Freshmen out will be too much to overcome tonight. I think we lose by around or so. But..it will be a great experience for our guys moving forward. Interested to see how Jackson and Kennard look tonight. Hoping maybe Grayson can get one of the two stud guards in some foul trouble.

At this point in the season, Kansas isn't that deep of a team, either. Looks like Self is going primarily with a 7-man rotation, with occasional minutes for Azubuike. They have nice players and they're more than capable of beating us, I just think we have better players. I'll take our players any day.

Duke 83
Kansas 72

Duke 77
Kansas 81

I think the guards slug it out and make it entertaining as hell. I think we slip once fouls start adding up and we're forced to sit a big. Rebounding will be huge down the stretch. I'm hoping we can get 30+ points from behind the arc.

Amile with strong leadership and 18 rebounds, 8 offensive. Matt shushes those who question him and goes 5 for 7 from 3. Grayson is Grayson (without the tripping nonsense). Jeter pushes bigs around underneath and dominates the paint alongside Amile. Frank is Stones-like in his first big game. Luke hits a game winner at the buzzer.

Duke 81
Kansas 79
All that and we only win by 2, LOL.

If KU had a single post player that scared me, I'd pick Kansas but Carlton Bragg is no Perry Ellis.. The trio of Kennard, Jackson, and Allen, 2 of them need to have a big game, and solid production from Amile and Jones. Duke wins.........

It's going to be a tough one, but I think our guys pull it out

Duke: 79
Kansas: 73

Let's go Duke!!

I think we win proving that we are truly the best team in the nation even without Giles, Tatum and Bolden. And when we get them back.....:cool:

Duke 84
KU-78

Reactions: dbav
Think Jeter determines tonight's outcome. If he plays well, I think we could pull the win. Really think we miss Tatum the most out of the three freshman tonight. I would love to see a lineup with him sliding to the 4 next to Amile against this Kansas team.

I hope it is Duke.

Feel good about location - home away from home for us.
Feel good about Grayson and Amile (and general leadership on the floor)

Worry about depth without frosh
Worry about Frank and Javin - first big game for frosh and we definitely need a solid Jackson and at least a few minutes from Javin,

My biggest concern is keeping their guards out of the lane. Right now Frank is the only one that has shown he can guard the ball consistently.

Either

Duke - 83
KU - 70

Or

KU - 80
Duke - 60

I feel like we'll either win this going away, or expend so much energy trying to play with KU that our shots just won't fall. They are a load of a team to have to face this early on a team that's learning to win without 1/3 of the normal rotation. I just really hope Grayson doesn't get hurt trying to be a hero.

Kansas clips us by 6 and then we beat them by 25 in the Elite Eight with a healthy roster.

Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT