ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs Ferris State

What I like about this game is we scored 132 points. We should have scored 132 points. I know it is a division 2 school but it is a good division 2 school. Last year's and some previous years teams may have won this game 105 to 78. The point I 'm trying to make is this team may have that take no prisoners attitude and I hope Coach K will let them go. No I don't think this team will go undefeated. We will have some off nights but I do think this is a full throttle,pedal to the medal team and because of that we will see plenty of it for the bench. I'm not on meds right now so I posting with a clear mind. Now if only this team has a little slap the floor defense in them .OFC

Yes!!!! We seem to have that no stop

Reactions: skysdad
What I am liking so far is like others have said....we share the ball! I was anxious to see if Zion and RJ would be looking to score everytime they touch it, but so far, I think they look for what is the best option....if we share it like that all season, we are tough to beat

What I am liking so far is like others have said....we share the ball! I was anxious to see if Zion and RJ would be looking to score everytime they touch it, but so far, I think they look for what is the best option....if we share it like that all season, we are tough to beat

Yep and those two conference loses might be accurate

Exactly how I look at the games Duke and UK play when they have played these teams. Seeing which have a good chance of translating and which need to be fixed. Many fans from each base don’t want to hear that though, just positive things and then get shocked when their team lose because of those same things

I’m just watching the game imagining us playing say UK and them getting some of the same opportunities these guys have.. Small things throughout the game ..looking closely... I seen 2 guys getting beat off the dibble multiple times....against these guys? Other then that my jaw stays dropped.

Kentucky is next. You won't get that opportunity. Who starts?

I say Bolden, for continuety.
I won't get the opportunity to consider him a true starter? Damn, that sucks.

To answer your query, I think Bolden starts too, but I think it's very unlikely he gets more minutes than Jav or Jack.

Some really great takeaways from today. Tre has been fantastic in nearly all respects except maybe his shooting, nearly a triple double today. If I recall correctly it took Tyus until a bit later in the season for his offensive game to really click and we certainly aren’t hurting for offense. He seems to always be making the right decisions and playing excellent pressure D which is a nice change of pace from last year.

Zion and RJ’s relentless hustle and effort might be the other bright spot for me. Zion diving to the floor in a 50 point game to get the ball bodes well for how much these kids want to win and how unselfish they seem to be.

Was also surprised to see Cam had 20 points in the box score. He has been somewhat quietly efficient so far and K mentioned in the post game comments he had some tightness in his leg or they would have used him even more.

Reactions: DukeNation12
Yea, lots of looks at pg tonight. I think K is worried about Tres hip personally.

Also, today REALLY is the era of "positionless basketball." Sure, Tre is a PG. But, in the NBA players like Cam and RJ need to show that they are more than just scorers/shooters. That they can facilitate. Ditto, albeit to a lesser extent, for Zion. AOC will be expected to help with the team running as well when he gets to the NBA, 1-2 years later than this year's frosh.
Our big 3 frosh wings all have that facilitating ability. They'd like that to be showcased. It will help them wrt to draft positioning and early career endorsements. It will help us in March as well.

First off, the rebounding and defense are problems, as we knew they would be. We are a young, and inexperienced team, without great height/size in the low post. So, the problems with D and the boards is to be expected.
The perimeter shooting isn't a weakness. I'm not sure it is a strength, but the fact that it isn't a weakness, especially not a GLARING weakness, is fantastic.
We have to be guarded on the perimeter. Cam and RJ are bordering on being good enough that they have to be guarded from out there, which will open up the court for everybody.
Even though D is a problem, it might not be a fatal problem. If K will truly embrace the principals taking root in the NBA, we'll be fine this year. If you have been watching the NBA, even if only in passing, you'll note that scoring and possessions per game have skyrocketed.
Defense, given the rules in place, combined with the increasing skill and shooting ability amongst players, is hard. Defense that is. You need long athletes willing to do their best in one on one situations, and ideally a big or 2 that are at least capable rim protectors. Shutting someone down in hard, but it would be nice to slow them down a little.
Loathe though we are to admit it, UNC's (fraudulent) title run in the late oughts was something of a precursor to this, though they achieved it in a style at odds with current styles. UNC's D was never that good. But their O was so efficient that it propped up their porous D. UNC's low post O, with just enough outside shooting, isn't similar to how offenses operate today, but combined with UNC's good rebounding in those years, the effect was the same. Their offense was so good that the opposing team's offense eventually collapsed trying to keep up with UNC. As UNC would steadily score points and build leads, opposing teams were forced to rush their own offense, or take greater and increasing risks, in order to try to maintain contact with UNC. UNC wasn't great defending 3s, but odds were that opposing teams couldn't hit enough vs UNC to consistently beat them. Eventually, the opposing teams was reduced to rushing shots, frequently taking the first quasi available three point shot, which resulted in misses 60-65 percent of the time. UNC rebounded those misses, hurried down the court, scored more points, and the cycle continued. Today, this won't work because many teams can hit enough 3s to stay in contact, and UNC doesn't have the low post rebounders now that they did then.
Duke can score on anybody. Or everybody. That will put pressure on opposing O's to keep pace, and they'll devolve into poor shot attempts, which will play to Duke's strengths.

Reactions: youngman42
I'm a little worried how Duke will handle success in games. Over both exhibitions, I've noticed long stretches where Duke played great, sharing the ball, attacking, and generating great looks at the rim. This run of great play can be followed by 4+ consecutive plays wherein the guys get lazy. There will be few passes, either out of selfish play, or players not moving to get open. We've been able to get back on rhythm so far, but this lackadaisical play could hurt Duke vs talented and disciplined teams. With such a young team, maintaining focus is something they will need to work on all season.

Omg it’s an exhibition and the team played well but why do we have to post full length articles?

UK will really show where this team is at going forward. The down fall to postionless basketball. When the three’s aren’t dropping it makes for a long night because driving lanes get cut off. I do like how Zion, even when Duke was up by fifty still dived on the floor after the ball. Build defense because there is no doubt the offense will be there.

Omg it’s an exhibition and the team played well but why do we have to post full length articles?

UK will really show where this team is at going forward. The down fall to postionless basketball. When the three’s aren’t dropping it makes for a long night because driving lanes get cut off. I do like how Zion, even when Duke was up by fifty still dived on the floor after the ball. Build defense because there is no doubt the offense will be there.
Agreed. I don’t waste my time reading that garbage.

Did anyone else feel extremely awkward when Vrank stared at Besser for what seemed like an eternity? After Besser's assist on Vrank's and-one.

IDK why that made me so uncomfortable. No one in the room with me even seemed to notice it.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I'm a little worried how Duke will handle success in games. Over both exhibitions, I've noticed long stretches where Duke played great, sharing the ball, attacking, and generating great looks at the rim. This run of great play can be followed by 4+ consecutive plays wherein the guys get lazy. There will be few passes, either out of selfish play, or players not moving to get open. We've been able to get back on rhythm so far, but this lackadaisical play could hurt Duke vs talented and disciplined teams. With such a young team, maintaining focus is something they will need to work on all season.
Their consistency is kinda like yours:p I actually saw some of that too...but some don’t want to hear nothing but positives Patrick ...simmer down now don’t don’t don’t stir up the brothers now.

I want to see Bolden have a game like tonight against a real frontcourt before considering him a real starter.
Bolden having a career game kinda makes me think who the hell did we play? Lmao but maybe this will give him that jumpstart he needed! Happy for him!

Bolden having a career game kinda makes me think who the hell did we play? Lmao but maybe this will give him that jumpstart he needed! Happy for him!

Not many great bigs in college basketball this year or great front courts. UK for instance, has two undersized unathletic power forwards that will play the center position. UNC a collection of three star big man but no game changer.

Bolden is 6’11 250 with 7-6 wingspan. He can score in the low post, set screens and block and alter shots. On this team he doesn’t have to score much or dominate in the low post.

I think it has to do with who is on the court at what time. In the regular season we see the core guys (Tre Jones, Zion Williamson, Cam Reddish and RJ Barrett) getting 30 plus minutes each along with Bolden and Javin getting 20 to 25 minutes a game each. AOC will get around 20 minutes a game. There is a fairly significant drop off in talent after those seven.

Jack White seems a little stiff and doesn’t seem to have much lateral quickness or great explosiveness.

Joey Baker is a year away from contributing Unless you desperately need three point shooting.

Vrank and Robinson can give some minutes if need be.

I think Baker is at least a year away. He will benefit a ton from Duke's strength program. I see him at at Duke for 3 or 4 years. I'm pulling for him and will be curious to see if he red shirts.

I think Baker is at least a year away. He will benefit a ton from Duke's strength program. I see him at at Duke for 3 or 4 years. I'm pulling for him and will be curious to see if he red shirts.

Initially, I thought he'd play this year. I'm starting to think that we won't need his three point shooting as much as he'd benefit from a full year of strength and conditioning. A serious strength program, geared towards adding muscle and weight, is all but impossible for a person playing in games. The key to such a program is consistency and rest, which is too hard to achieve with the irregular, albeit known, schedule of game play.
He plays the same position as Cam, Zion, and RJ. AOC and Jack white are sufficient off the bench. I think Baker could give us a 3-5 solid, if unspectacular, MPG. I think he'd benefit more from a S&C program, and we'd benefit more from that going forward.

I thought the D was pretty good. Lots of those O rebounds Ferris State got were long rebounds or off bricked shots where you can't predict where the ball is going to go.

This year’s team should be far beyond the recent teams in terms of chemistry building. I know similar events/games have been planned in recent years but it seems moreso this year than any other that I can remember that a concerted effort is being made to build chemistry as quick as possible. The pool party, the Canada tour, the exhibition games. I’m sure K realizes that in today’s college game with our roster turning over so rapidly we must squeeze every bit out of the preseason. I haven’t seen a close knit group like this since 2015. I won’t say that we won’t experience similar issues along the way, but it does feel early on that this group seems to care a whole heck of a lot about one another.

This year’s team should be far beyond the recent teams in terms of chemistry building. I know similar events/games have been planned in recent years but it seems moreso this year than any other that I can remember that a concerted effort is being made to build chemistry as quick as possible. The pool party, the Canada tour, the exhibition games. I’m sure K realizes that in today’s college game with our roster turning over so rapidly we must squeeze every bit out of the preseason. I haven’t seen a close knit group like this since 2015. I won’t say that we won’t experience similar issues along the way, but it does feel early on that this group seems to care a whole heck of a lot about one another.

Agree 100%.....I was curious how well Zion and RJ would share the ball with each other. So far, I think they look for the best shot, not their shot.

Reactions: sgrooms
Rebounding - we out rebounded them 61-36. We got 17 offensive rebounds on only 30 missed shots. They got 12 on 55 missed shots.

Defense - our help d and switching are already ahead of where we ended last year. We are already playing D as a team and will get much better as the season progresses.

I’m disappointed. Only two sentences.

I'm not sure everyone here has the reading comprehension skills to understand any more than that.

Twitter is for idiots. It is limited to 240 characters. Ergo, short statements are probably not for people with above average intelligence.
I try to dumb it down for folks, but I can only do so much. Sorry.

[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure everyone here has the reading comprehension skills to understand any more than that.

Twitter is for idiots. It is limited to 240 characters. Ergo, short statements are probably not for people with above average intelligence.

Take it easy man; some here don't like drawn out posts but hey they can ignore you if they want to. Maybe I'm missing something here but I haven't seen you attacking other Duke fans.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
On TV I didn’t notice Ferris State’s head coach in the handshake line afterwards. Can anyone confirm that he actually shook Coach K’s hand?

On TV I didn’t notice Ferris State’s head coach in the handshake line afterwards. Can anyone confirm that he actually shook Coach K’s hand?

Idk about that but the dude was going crazy most of the game and looked pissed at the refs. (Like they caused it)

You're gonna have to dumb it down some more for me. I'm one of those uneducated old mental midgets that highly intelligent people talk about. I do however understand that you can only dumb it down so far so it may need to go down in steps. Sooner or later maybe one of our posters can get it down to my level .OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT