ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs MSU

As a team, but more so coaching, there are times you need Young for his fouls. Then there are times you need him for his offensive/defensive production. AZ as a perfect game for Stewart and Reeves. Young just needed to make the post players uncomfortable near the basket. Flip played too much time along as the 5. We all saw what happened. Our players were helping him off the floor every other play.
Great analysis!

OFC

We have 3 options as a big to help Flip, but all 3 of them have shortcomings. Stewart is the most athletic, and if he keeps improving as we move along, then Duke becomes really dangerous. Young and him are our best options, even if Reeves is healthy. Yes, Young wasn't good against Arizona, but it's not like he was the only one that didn't play well. But this board needs a punching bag, and looks like he is it.

I see Reeves being a long term project. Yes, he has the size and length to be a factor, but he is a little lost out there. If he becomes a decent contributor this season, and replaces one of the other 2, then I'll admit I'm wrong on him.

Yes, Young wasn't good against Arizona, but it's not like he was the only one that didn't play well. But this board needs a punching bag, and looks like he is it.
True others didn't play well. Young's poor play just seemed magnified in the loss. Don't mean to make Ryan "a punching bag." I really like him, and appreciate what he brings to the table. OFC

We have 3 options as a big to help Flip, but all 3 of them have shortcomings. Stewart is the most athletic, and if he keeps improving as we move along, then Duke becomes really dangerous. Young and him are our best options, even if Reeves is healthy. Yes, Young wasn't good against Arizona, but it's not like he was the only one that didn't play well. But this board needs a punching bag, and looks like he is it.

I see Reeves being a long term project. Yes, he has the size and length to be a factor, but he is a little lost out there. If he becomes a decent contributor this season, and replaces one of the other 2, then I'll admit I'm wrong on him.
I don't know if Reeves is lost or his role is being defined. He's Lively all day, just not polished. He needs the reps and opportunity to make mistakes. I will be honest, I could not appreciate Lively until late in the season. Big Mark had me spoiled. I might've expected too much.

Young is a great player and can do many great and smart things on the court, he just doesn’t fit with Flip..at all. The best version of what Reeves projects to be is what we need paired with Flip.

There is certainly a role for Young though when Flip is resting or in foul trouble. I just think/hope that role will diminish as the season goes on and the game slows down for Stewart.

Reactions: christophero
Reeves may turn out to be a good player but I don't get the Lively comparisons. They are both 7-1 and suited up for Duke. Lively was the #1 high school player and is putting up double doubles in the NBA. Stewart is our best hope for defense and rebounding. Young is a good role player as long as he is not out there too long. He does absorb a lot of physical beating for Flip, who tends to get knocked around when he plays the 5. Reeves could give minutes as a big body but can't seem to stay healthy.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
Reeves may turn out to be a good player but I don't get the Lively comparisons. They are both 7-1 and suited up for Duke. Lively was the #1 high school player and is putting up double doubles in the NBA. Stewart is our best hope for defense and rebounding. Young is a good role player as long as he is not out there too long. He does absorb a lot of physical beating for Flip, who tends to get knocked around when he plays the 5. Reeves could give minutes as a big body but can't seem to stay healthy.
Lively was #1, but did not play as a high ranking player until late January/February. Like Reeves and Flip, slim and trying to figure it out. I will not dare look at what he is doing in Dallas and say we saw the the same thing in November, December and January. He got healthy, made mistakes, played D and GOT PT.

Stewart has demonstrated the athleticism.

Reactions: christophero
Reeves could have a Zoubek like career if he sticks it out. I remember early on Z playing well for a few minutes, then he would get tired, start fouling, etc. Once he got healthy and well conditioned he could sustain it. As a former track guy in college I needed to be healthy for a long time to compete. at a high level in the Big East. I was good, but not elite talent. I knew more talented guys who could get in great shape in a few months.

Reactions: jamsession2
Reeves isn't nearly as athletic as Lively. They are pretty different outside of size. Lively could even guard guards. But Reeves development from now to February might be more important than any other player on the team.

Reeves isn't nearly as athletic as Lively. They are pretty different outside of size. Lively could even guard guards. But Reeves development from now to February might be more important than any other player on the team.
That last sentence may determine the success of the Season. Unless Stewart can surprise the world.

Reeves could have a Zoubek like career if he sticks it out. I remember early on Z playing well for a few minutes, then he would get tired, start fouling, etc. Once he got healthy and well conditioned he could sustain it. As a former track guy in college I needed to be healthy for a long time to compete. at a high level in the Big East. I was good, but not elite talent. I knew more talented guys who could get in great shape in a few months.
How long did you have to put down the hot dogs and Coors Light for you to be at peak Christoph?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT