ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs MSU

Young was great for us last night, I don’t think it was a coincidence that he was great against a slower Big10 team. I haven’t seen Arkansas but if they are what they have been the past few years: super fast and athletic, than that should be a Stewart and not a Young game.

Young has a role on this team in regards to leadership, he’s still an amazing offensive rebounder and seems to draw 1-2 fouls on opposing bigs trying to box him out. But we MUST have Stewart and/or Reeves in the rotation and playing real minutes come March.
Young and Reeves are needed for any SEC school.

Ranked 17th by T-Rank and 33rd by Pomeroy.
1-2, with a really bad loss at home. The only win was against the 344th (out of 362 teams) ranked team, a game where MSU was outplayed in the second half.

Last edited:
Was at the classic last night. The first half was ugly basketball between Duke’s turnovers and Michigan State’s horrible shooting. The 2nd half was much better. Foster played really well in the 2nd half. I think he moves McCain out of the starting line up. Roach putting the MSU player on skates towards the end of the game and making the basket was a good way to end the game. A lot of Duke fans were there to cheer on the guys.

The Kansas and Kentucky game was fun to watch. Dickinson, Harris, and McCullar were fantastic for Kansas. I enjoyed witnessing the Kansas and Kentucky fans quabble back and forth throughout their game haha.

Always a great night when Duke wins and Kentucky loses.

Was at the classic last night. The first half was ugly basketball between Duke’s turnovers and Michigan State’s horrible shooting. The 2nd half was much better. Foster played really well in the 2nd half. I think he moves McCain out of the starting line up. Roach putting the MSU player on skates towards the end of the game and making the basket was a good way to end the game. A lot of Duke fans were there to cheer on the guys.

The Kansas and Kentucky game was fun to watch. Dickinson, Harris, and McCullar were fantastic for Kansas. I enjoyed witnessing the Kansas and Kentucky fans quabble back and forth throughout their game haha.

Always a great night when Duke wins and Kentucky loses.

How much did you pay for tickets I’d love to go next year

How much did you pay for tickets I’d love to go next year
I’ve gone to this event many times, didn’t go this year. When Duke is playing Kentucky: tickets are usually around 200 for uppers 400 for lowers. When Duke is playing Kansas or MSU, I’ve gotten in the door for around 100 and then 250-300 for good seats.

You get 2 games out of it too. The Zion Kentucky game may have been my favorite sporting event I’ve ever attended.

I doubt that Foster takes McCain’s starting position. It’s nice to know you can have points coming off the bench and I think benching McCain will hurt his confidence. Foster May get more of McCain’s minutes though.

Reactions: Fourteen44
I bought my tickets during the pre sale on Ticketmaster. I purchased them at face value. The tickets were $266 each, good for both games. Our seats were in the Lower Level, Section 107, Row 19.

The cost of tickets in general have gotten ridiculous. I was interested in taking my wife to see Chris Stapleton, until I found out that decent seats costs about $300. EACH.

I've been looking at Switches so my 300 would probably go to that. Or a bigger TV mine is only 27 inches.

Last edited:
I doubt that Foster takes McCain’s starting position. It’s nice to know you can have points coming off the bench and I think benching McCain will hurt his confidence. Foster May get more of McCain’s minutes though.
Everyone raves about McCain but everything I have seen suggests Foster is much better right now. Long season of course. I also like Foster's ball handling and that he is 6-5. I'm sure McCain is good as well I just go by what I see. Both guys will play plenty.
@Liftee haha I've got the money I'm just cheap.

Last edited:
Everyone raves about McCain but everything I have seen suggests Foster is much better right now. Long season of course. I also like Foster's ball handling and that he is 6-5. I'm sure McCain is good as well I just go by what I see.
@Liftee haha I've got the money I'm just cheap.
Can’t take the money with you Chris

I rent DVDs from the library like an 80 year old. But my library has a ton of movies and shows. I do like to eat out, so I spend a lot on that. But I've been eyeing bigger TV's maybe Black Friday.

Reactions: Liftee
Great win for the good guys! Ryan Young made me eat my words (although MSU didn’t offer any elite BIGS) I was so proud of him for competing against a likely NCAA Tournament team!
What you get from Young every game is all he's got. We all know he's just a role player, but I don't think he deserves some of the criticism that's been thrown his way.

@christophero i get it, I’m generally the same way with the exception of a good in-person game OR toys for my vehicles. Other than that I save, invest, give, and buy rentals. I’m down though if some want to meet next year for the Classic.

Valid points or the caveat could be McCain now knows he has to work that much harder and play much better if he wants to remain a starter because Foster is showing he is capable of taking that starting spot. There are 11 guys on the roster capable of playing, they have to know if they have some lackadaisical performances then one of their teammates is going to take their minutes.

Reactions: christophero
The cost of tickets in general have gotten ridiculous. I was interested in taking my wife to see Chris Stapleton, until I found out that decent seats costs about $300. EACH.

You guys don’t even want to know what the United Center was charging for a beer on draft. They were charging $20 per a draft beer!!! Personally, I don’t care for the United Center, it’s always more expensive compared to a lot of other venues. I live equal distance to Chicago and Indianapolis, when attending an NBA game, I 100% of the time would rather watch an NBA game at the Pacers stadium as opposed to the United Center. 1) it’s much cheaper, 2) there is not one bad seat in the pacers stadium, it only has 2 levels!!! I love it when the ncaa tournament hosts the 1st and 2nd round games inside the pacers stadium, it really gives the stadium a college gym feel to it!!!!

You guys don’t even want to know what the United Center was charging for a beer on draft. They were charging $20 per a draft beer!!! Personally, I don’t care for the United Center, it’s always more expensive compared to a lot of other venues. I live equal distance to Chicago and Indianapolis, when attending an NBA game, I 100% of the time would rather watch an NBA game at the Pacers stadium as opposed to the United Center. 1) it’s much cheaper, 2) there is not one bad seat in the pacers stadium, it only has 2 levels!!! I love it when the ncaa tournament hosts the 1st and 2nd round games inside the pacers stadium, it really gives the stadium a college gym feel to it!!!!
Indianapolis has also been very good to Duke! Lucas oil stadium, but that city treats Duke well.

Spot on Jimbo. Indianapolis to me is the perfect sports city. Stadiums, lodging, restaurants, and bars all within walking distance of each other and it’s a clean big city.

Reactions: christophero
Coor's Light 12 pack 17.00
Hebrew national hot dogs 8.00
Hot dog buns 2.00
Lays potato chips 5.00
Duke game in my living room 33.00
Regarding Foster/McCain they are both 5 star guards so I think the best guy should start. And the best guy so far has been Foster. If it's McCain later on then McCain.

Last edited:
What you get from Young every game is all he's got. We all know he's just a role player, but I don't think he deserves some of the criticism that's been thrown his way.
You’re right he is a role player and he doesn’t deserve some of the criticism that’s been thrown his way, but coach relies on him much more than a typical role player and the mismatch be so obvious. In tight games, that could be the difference between winning and losing. The post players on Arizona and MSU are certainly not similar, but if I’m man enough to issue complaints, I can also issue praise as well.

You’re right he is a role player and he doesn’t deserve some of the criticism that’s been thrown his way, but coach relies on him much more than a typical role player and the mismatch be so obvious. In tight games, that could be the difference between winning and losing. The post players on Arizona and MSU are certainly not similar, but if I’m man enough to issue complaints, I can also issue praise as well.
Perfectly said.

I agree, but it's not Young's fault the guys behind him aren't ready for big minutes yet. Reeves and Stewart are getting there, but they need time. Stewart will definitely play more as the season goes on. Reeves just needs to get healthy and get game experience. Young is best as a 10-12 minute guy.

I agree, but it's not Young's fault the guys behind him aren't ready for big minutes yet. Reeves and Stewart are getting there, but they need time. Stewart will definitely play more as the season goes on. Reeves just needs to get healthy and get game experience. Young is best as a 10-12 minute guy.
Matchups predetermines his usage. I'm more concerned about these small ball lineups.

If Young was to play AZ again, we would see a different player. Lack of preparation.

If Young was to play AZ again, we would see a different player. Lack of preparation.
Jam I would hope, but not real sure if it would apply vs Arizona. Young's lack of athleticism really is a liability vs the Wildcats.

Perhaps the other side of the coin is true if you are referring ("lack of preparation"), to a COACHING issue. Do you think staff did all it could to prepare him for the physicality of the Wildcats?? I love the young man, and certainly cannot ever fault his efforts.

OFC

Jam I would hope, but not real sure if it would apply vs Arizona. Young's lack of athleticism really is a liability vs the Wildcats.

Perhaps the other side of the coin is true if you are referring ("lack of preparation"), to a COACHING issue. Do you think staff did all it could to prepare him for the physicality of the Wildcats?? I love the young man, and certainly cannot ever fault his efforts.

OFC
Agreed here - I don’t see Young having much impact against larger, athletic bigs.

OFC
As a team, but more so coaching, there are times you need Young for his fouls. Then there are times you need him for his offensive/defensive production. AZ was a perfect game for Stewart and Reeves. Young just needed to make the post players uncomfortable near the basket. Flip played too much time alone as the 5. We all saw what happened. Our players were helping him off the floor every other play.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT