ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs MSU

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
📍 United Center- Chicago
📺 ESPN
⏰ 7:00

For the 7,000th time in the past 20 seasons we get to play Michigan State and one of the most overrated coaches of all time Tom Izzo. Both teams come into tonight’s games at 1-1 after preseason expectations were sky high, an early L for both teams makes this game a little more important as neither team should happy about the prospect of starting 1-2.

MSU is coached by Tom Izzo in his 29th year at the helm. A member of the Naismith hall of fame, winner of the 2000 national champion, 10 big ten regular season championships and 6 big ten tourney ships. Izzo also has 8 final fours with 8 national coach of the year awards. I call him overrated (maybe not fair) for just one ring with all those final fours.

This has the potential to be a fun game and another nice test for us on the young year. I think we get it done and walk away with the W. I’m hoping Jon has preached EFFORT to this team and we see much more from them tonight!

Duke-93
MSU-79

Reactions: Mac9192
Duke - 85
MSU - 77

Jon continues with the 3 guard offense but Mitchell and Proctor rebound, both literally and figuratively.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Duke by five .

Mitchell has a good game and the guards rebound .

Stewart sees about eight minutes and Reeves five !

Reactions: Duke Blu
Definitely a better post match up for Duke, but need to contain Walker and Hoggard. They can go off some nights.

Duke 80
Msu 77

Reactions: sheyduke
Duke 81
MSU 74

Gotta have this one. There aren’t going to be a ton of big win opportunities in the ACC, it is what it is. It’s not “too early,” these games matter come selection Sunday. Had we not screwed around early last season, we would have got a better seed and avoided Tennessee.

Just win baby. This is a chance for us to show toughness and improvement. Lose to MSU, who is now ranked around 21st, and our guys might want to avoid the internet, because it won't be pretty. I think either way we will be okay. But better not to have to dig yourself out of an early hole. Play our game and rebound and we should win. My guess is Stewart and Blakes get some time. Would like to see Young play better in limited minutes, he really got criticized on social media this weekend. We need to get Stewart up to speed quick for rebounding and interior toughness.
Duke 81
MSU 67
Something tells me our offense clicks and we win easily. At least I hope so.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I think we win and play with a little more toughness. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. Duke by 6.

Young goes for 12 pts, 8 rebounds, 2 assists and gives a shout out to DI in his postgame interview.

The 3 ball will be falling for Duke tonight at the United Center. Hoggard and Walker are held to a combined 40 points or less.

Duke by 10+ points tonight.

I'm gonna miss the game live, but I get the feeling that we find a way to take this one. I expect a big game from Proctor. I think Jon has them fired up to play, and we pull away a bit at the end after a tight 30 minutes.

Duke 81
MSU 68

Reactions: christophero
In the coach K days this was almost always the type of game we would bounce back and win. We shall see how Jon does tonight.
Wow just saw Nova lost to Penn last night.

Tight game but I expect Proctor to play better and be more assertive. This is our freshman's first "road game" so I think our main guys will play up to their expectations. X factor will be Mitchell. If he can make a couple shots, it'll draw the defense away from Flip then Flip will be able to do his thing. We win

They are not good luck for my waistline. But I guess I could put them near the TV, Not sure I have that kind of will power.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I’m not sure I’d label Izzo “overrated”. You don’t get to 8 Final Fours with luck. His trademark has always been finishing the season strong. I’ve always loved the guy, and when he was much younger, I thought he’d be a great choice to succeed K. And a classy guy to boot. All that said, i hope we clean their clocks tonight. Duke 85 MSU 71

Other than Cal and Self, Izzo is probably the most associated with MSU. They may drop off the map when he retires.

I am strangely not nervous about this game. I think we win, but if not, we will have glaring issues to address. Everyone will call us overrated and then we can slowly begin our rise back up the polls. If we lose do we get bounced from the top 25? Maybe because we have experience that raises our floor. Proctor is our MVP.

Last edited:
We need to put points on the board. An ugly low scoring game favors MSU. Ugh down 3.

What is Dukes offensive identity and who in the world is our pg ? We got almost the same amount of turnovers as shots taken .

Don’t look like anything hit them after Arizona .

Reactions: pisgah101
What is Dukes offensive identity and who in the world is our pg ? We got almost the same amount of turnovers as shots taken .

Don’t look like anything hit them after Arizona .

Strange thing is I feel like the post has been a lot better overall but the guards holy cow

Reactions: sheyduke
Not all turnovers are the same. At least were committing turnovers that lead to out of bounds

Forks > Spartans @ the 1/2.
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT