ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs MSU

Credit to Jon for staying the course. Even the Brotherhood was saying Young should sit. You can't play a guy big minutes against MSU who doesn't even know where to go. Stewart will get there. We have time.

I'm not worried about McCain and Stewart. Their time will increase as the year goes on.

Stewart yes but McCain at this point has disappeared against stronger competition. It’s a learning curve I get it it but there was alot of praise for him on here as being a strong player and have yet to see it . Especially showing where he earned a starting spot over a junior Blake’s .

Still not sure how Reeves is riding the bench maybe he’s still getting healthy but Stewart getting some time was a plus .

Foster was something else. He looks like he’s Ralph Sampson’s kid. Flip was not great, but was solid.
And how about the DI punching bag, Young? He’s just a role player, but gives it all he’s got. He may not help against smaller and quicker teams, but again, he does bring a value to this team. If you can’t see that, I question your knowledge on the game. Not a bad stat line either: 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists. But it was his effort on D that should be noticed. He helped make life a little tougher on their guards with his hedging.

I hope Stewart and Reeves progress, but if I had to bet on it, my $$ is on Stewart.

Foster was something else. He looks like he’s Ralph Sampson’s kid. Flip was not great, but was solid.
And how about the DI punching bag, Young? He’s just a role player, but gives it all he’s got. He may not help against smaller and quicker teams, but again, he does bring a value to this team. If you can’t see that, I question your knowledge on the game. Not a bad stat line either: 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists. But it was his effort on D that should be noticed. He helped make life a little tougher on their guards with his hedging.

I hope Stewart and Reeves progress, but if I had to bet on it, my $$ is on Stewart.
I chuckled when I read Ralph Sampson’s son.

It looks to me like they are bringing Stewart along slowly. I am ok with that. Props to Young. I will take that production. With that said, I will just take it when it comes. Reeves? Who knows.

Still trying to figure what we have in this team. My guess right now is there will be some frustrating nights.

Great Analysis. Young makes Flip comfortable. We need Young.

On another note, Southern Indiana trailed at half and only won by 3 against a .500 d2. That game could be ugly...
This game give everyone an opportunity to play. We can also see how the offense works with Flip out of the game. Is TJ going to redshirt?

As I said I had to miss the game live. I just watched the highlights. A little sloppy in the first half but I was pleased to see Duke hold things together and pull out the win.

Of course now I’m questioning if I should watch any other games live this season?!?!

This game give everyone an opportunity to play. We can also see how the offense works with Flip out of the game. Is TJ going to redshirt?
My money says Reeves and TJ bolt if things stay the same over the long haul of the season.

Great Analysis. Young makes Flip comfortable. We need Young.
Massive flaw here: this WAS against a smaller, quicker team. It’s the bigger teams where Young struggles. And calling a kid for what they are (mediocre at best) isn’t making them a punching bag.

Also MSU likely isn’t a legit top 25 team. They’re really down so far.

Massive flaw here: this WAS against a smaller, quicker team. It’s the bigger teams where Young struggles. And calling a kid for what they are (mediocre at best) isn’t making them a punching bag.

Yup. 100% this. I want to be proven wrong but Young is not the long term solution in my humble opinion. Not trying to be negative but posters have to be able to feel comfortable calling it how we see it.

Last edited:
Flip needs a lob threat / rim protector on the court with him . Hard to double team if you’re worried about another big getting a simple lob and basket. Also keeps Flip out of foul trouble .

MSU is a well coached team. Also, the game was more half - court, not transition.

Reactions: ioliva
Young was great for us last night, I don’t think it was a coincidence that he was great against a slower Big10 team. I haven’t seen Arkansas but if they are what they have been the past few years: super fast and athletic, than that should be a Stewart and not a Young game.

Young has a role on this team in regards to leadership, he’s still an amazing offensive rebounder and seems to draw 1-2 fouls on opposing bigs trying to box him out. But we MUST have Stewart and/or Reeves in the rotation and playing real minutes come March.

MSU is a well coached team. Also, the game was more half - court, not transition.
Of course they’re a well coached team, but they’re a weaker squad than Izzy has had in a long time. Arizona was somewhat of a grinder game as well, but they’re bigger and better than MSU hence they beat Duke on the boards and in the paint.

Reactions: jamsession2
Young was great for us last night, I don’t think it was a coincidence that he was great against a slower Big10 team. I haven’t seen Arkansas but if they are what they have been the past few years: super fast and athletic, than that should be a Stewart and not a Young game.

Young has a role on this team in regards to leadership, he’s still an amazing offensive rebounder and seems to draw 1-2 fouls on opposing bigs trying to box him out. But we MUST have Stewart and/or Reeves in the rotation and playing real minutes come March.
With how well he handled being in the PnR last night, Young can teach a masterclass on hedging...must have learned it from his time in the Fuqua School of Business.

Of course they’re a well coached team, but they’re a weaker squad than Izzy has had in a long time. Arizona was somewhat of a grinder game as well, but they’re bigger and better than MSU hence they beat Duke on the boards and in the paint.
I won't make that assessment until February.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT