ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS ARKANSAS ELITE 8 OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Here we go. This a different Duke team than we saw just a couple weeks ago. This team has grown up before our eyes and picked the right time to play some truly inspired basketball.

And how about Jeremy Roach? Wow. This kid has been special during the tournament. Paolo has been fantastic, Williams has been fantastic, but we expected that. Roach has been the X factor this team needed.

On to today's game. I love that we're not playing Gonzaga in the Elite Eight, I won't lie. But we all know anything can happen once you come to March. Arkansas will be no push over. Led by Jacksonville transfer J.D. Notae, the Razorbacks are athletic, long and can score in bunches.

On the other hand, Duke just needs to continue playing inspired, discipline and smart basketball. Paolo's shot selection has been better, defensively Duke has guarded SO much better when in man (although the 2-3 looked good too) and we've shot the ball outstanding. With the talent we've got, we will be cutting down the next weekend if we shoot 71% from the field the rest of the way (not crossing my fingers lol).

Duke was a -4 favorite as soon as the line opened Thursday night and they've remained it since. Even though I truly believe this game will come down to the wire, I think Duke wins and covers.

Today's game is slated to tip at 8:39pm est (but will likely be a little later) and will air on CBS.

Duke 83

Arkansas 74

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your promptness is impeccable!

Just win baby!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
Duke 77
Piggies 70

Arkansas is 320th in 3 pt %, and 279 in 3 pointers made per game. Let’s see if that continues or if they go lights out from deep because they’re playing Duke.

Duke needs to shut down Williams and Notae. Do that and they win comfortably.

Watch the back door cuts and limit their attacking the basket at will. Watch their Williams pulling Mark out yo the perimeter . He hit a couple three’s but the perimeter is Marks weakness on defense.

JD Noltae can get hot . Have to defend him and rebound .

Duke -80
Arkansas -70

As long as we play with the same intensity as in the second half against TT I think we should win.

The players have to focus on playing basketball and not what each game means for K. They have to mentally ignore and block out everything else but to focus on beating the team in front of them. That’s all that matters. If they do I think Duke will win.

Duke 73-66

I would say we probably win 2 out of 3 against this team. My first thought was enormous relief we didn't have to play Gonzaga but this team is capable of beating us. But I still think we win. Roach has provided us leadership and a true point guard we've all been clamoring for. Position less basketball is nice if you have Grant Hill, but not a bunch of freshmen. It's been wonderful to see this group grow up and gel before our eyes; does the magical run continue?
Duke 82
Arkansas 75

Reactions: jeffrey236
Duke fans: Whatever routine you’ve been doing throughout the tournament, KEEP THAT SAME ROUTINE! Don’t change a thing

Absolutely!

(Sometimes during games when they are going well, my son will text me and say, "Whatever you are doing right now, do not move.")

Reactions: Liftee
Jay Bilas on ESPN talking about what Arkansas needs to do to beat Duke.

Is there any worse Duke hater on earth than Jay Bilas? How this guy gets away with that is beyond me.

Give me Len Elmore every day of the week. He's far more fair minded with Duke games than Bilas is.

I'm just glad CBS is calling the games and Nance, Hill and Raftery are on all the Duke games so that I can just not hear anything from Bilas. He is utterly unbearable when it comes to Duke.

The two most unbearable basketball alumni for me are,
1. Jay Bilas
2. (A rather distant 2nd) Kyrie Irving (not b/c of any of his views, he has just become annoying and is too self-oriented).

Reactions: geddoughton23
Jay Bilas on ESPN talking about what Arkansas needs to do to beat Duke.

Is there any worse Duke hater on earth than Jay Bilas? How this guy gets away with that is beyond me.

Give me Len Elmore every day of the week. He's far more fair minded with Duke games than Bilas is.

I'm just glad CBS is calling the games and Nance, Hill and Raftery are on all the Duke games so that I can just not hear anything from Bilas. He is utterly unbearable when it comes to Duke.

The two most unbearable basketball alumni for me are,
1. Jay Bilas
2. (A rather distant 2nd) Kyrie Irving (not b/c of any of his views, he has just become annoying and is too self-oriented).
So you dislike Jay because he’s fair-minded? Do you prefer a Duke version of Kenny Smith that sits there and plays cheerleader?

Jay is the least fair-minded person on earth. He is always a lean toward a Duke opponent. Anyone who has watched Duke the past 20 years and Bilas commentary would see this. In the games he calls he regularly goes out of his way to favor the opponent. It's now so ingrained in his commentary that he's ostensibly worse than Len Elmore (about whom many complain is bias b/c of his Maryland ties; but actually speaks more favorably of Duke than Bilas does).

He's not unbiased. lol. That's absurd.

Grant Hill is unbiased. Jay Bilas goes overboard in bias toward Duke opponents.

(On most things related to NCAA Basketball, I think Bilas is fine; I like his work there. But not when it comes to Duke Basketball. And I would not want him to be biased toward Duke. Just fair minded).

I'd rather have Kenny Smith call Duke games than Bilas.

I think Bilas is afraid of being labeled a Duke homer so he went too far the other way. He is very complimentary of coach K; but rarely of our teams. Maybe he's not a fan of the one and done.

Let's get this back to Arkansas instead of the usual Bilas referendum. Notae has been fun to watch during the season (when Duke isn't playing him) because you never know what will happen next, a wild pass into the bench or a beautiful drive and finish at the basket. I think Duke has to focus on him and make him uncomfortable. I suspect he's like Westbrook and will look to get his shots no matter how much he has to force it. That to me will spell success for Duke.

Like every Duke fan, I worry about the guy who made 3 three pointers the whole season and makes 5 in a row against Duke. Short of that, if Duke gets at least some loose balls, and works hard on the defensive boards, I think we'll be OK.

I’m superstitious…

So I will say the storybook comes to an end tonight. To much dribble penetration and we are unable to contain it.

Arkansas 80
Duke 72

Be the hero we need but not the one we deserve.
Gotcha. Hey I always wear my Duke socks for every game same hat and same jersey . I’m going to be more positive until the hero ball starts . Seriously if Duke can defend the pick and roll and back door cuts they should have this .

Duke 81-77. This will be a really tough game for us. I think we find a way to win. Hope Keels bounces back!

I hate that I was more nervous for both MSU and Tech. I’m sleeping on Arkansas, know that I’m sleeping on Arkansas, and THAT makes me nervous. It’s a weird thing, haha.
I’m the exact same way. I don’t like this feeling.

Reactions: Duke_Fan_1338
You'd always rather play a 4 seed than a one seed. But we're getting a hot team, which is a little scary. But there are no easy elite eight games.

This team is streaky. Seems like we either get up big and then give it up, or get down big and have to come back. Can we have a comfortable 20 point win? Not likely but would be nice. But Ark. is not Pitt or Syracuse so doubtful. Win one more and we're in the final four. That would be a nice end to coach K's career.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT