ADVERTISEMENT

Official gameday thread- Game 2 Duke vs USC Upstate

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
Duke rolls into game two facing The Spartans! No not the MSU ones who we seem to play way too much, but the ones from Spartanburg SC. Both teams are coming in at 1-0 with Upstate’s win coming against the mighty Tornados from D-3 Brevard College. Upstate finished last season with a record of 15-17 but managed to finish third in the big south conference. The Spartans are coached by Dave Dickerson, who displays an impressive resume

- associate head coach at Ohio St with Thad Matta for 6 years including the 2012 Final Four season

-5 years as head coach of Tulane

-assistant coach to Gary Williams at Maryland then later moved up to associate head coach. His time at Maryland featuring their 2 final four trips as well as the 2002 National Championship

Prediction-

I feel way more confident this game than the last..
duke- 89
USC-57

Last edited:
Duke 75
USC upstate 50

hopefully the beginning of Lively’s season and defense continues to be key .

Duke 83 Them 62
Would like to see Lively get 10 minutes tonight and stay healthy. Would like to see Flip be assertive. Mitchell and Young will get theirs. Would like to see Roach cut down on his fouls, Blakes continue to play well, and would like to see Proctor make some shots. Grandison should continue his steady all around game.

Duke should throttle them. The thing I'm most impressed with so far has been @pisgah101. His attention to detail is almost inspiring. Kville is somewhere muttering that no one can ever do the job he did, and that Pisgah is an amateur.

On a side note, I've met Pisgah. Young looks like him.

Last edited:
We need to keep getting Young 10-15 mpg even when Lively's back imo. He's become my favorite player. He's the kind of guy I'm been waiting for; an upperclassman big man with power and skill. It's been ages since we had a skilled upperclassman big man. (no a soph. is not an upperclassman) I know he's a bit slow but he seems to know his limitations. Very smart player.

We need to keep getting Young 10-15 mpg even when Lively's back imo. He's become my favorite player. He's the kind of guy I'm been waiting for; an upperclassman big man with power and skill. It's been ages since we had a skilled upperclassman big man. (no a soph. is not an upperclassman) I know he's a bit slow but he seems to know his limitations. Very smart player.
But atleast it was a Duke sophomore and not a transfer .
Young is the type of player you put in the frontcourt of the bench and say just body them up frustrate them and make them play your game .

Reactions: christophero
I like Williams a lot I was just clarifying my statement. I like old school games. Young keeps proving people wrong. He's more than just a bruiser. If he is effective against Kansas I think you have to play him.

Last edited:
Him Flip and Reeves next year makes me smile. I don't think Mitchell comes back. Flip is still a coin flip, pun intended. Even two of those guys back, with Schutt and Blakes, would be nice.

Last edited:
Lively is rumored to be playing, but nothing official yet. Whitehead is a few weeks away I believe, but possibly sooner.

Last edited:
Him Flip and Reeves next year makes me smile. I don't think Mitchell comes back. Flip is still a coin flip, pun intended. Even two of those guys back, with Schutt and Blakes, would be nice.
Don’t forget about Stewart. I think there is a 50/50 chance Mitchell comes back same as flip .

You sir are quite the optimist.
Not really but at the moment if I was a scout I’d want to see Mitchell’s shooting improve and Flips defense and both of their offensive rebounding . I still say their gone the fifty fifty was for the board lol. Long season to go

Turnovers killing Duke. USC playing hard nose defense.

43-16 Duke. Roach with 8 points, Flip 7 points, Lively 4, Grandison 8, Mitchell 6, Young 5, and Blakes 6 points. Welcome back Lively! Young and Mitchell leading rebounders with 4. Mitchell now 6 rebounds. I like that we are putting teams away early so far this year. We didn't do that the last 2 years. Of course they aren't Kansas, but so far, so good.

Last edited:
Blake’s gets hit hard no foul

flip gets slightly bumped foul

I like the way the team looks offensively.

If Grandison shoots like this we are going to be good. Blakes playing well again. Flip with 7 points and 4 rebounds so far. Roach 8 points 6 assists. 43-18 at the half.

I like the way the team looks defensively.

pretty sure Jon is going to bring up the minutes when the team gets stagnant on offense . When the ball moves good things happen.

Blakes playing well is big. Gives us 4 upperclassmen in the rotation. Well non freshman anyway. So glad Lively is back.

Anyone else see Lively come up limping and taking himself out at the end of the half?
He’s also messaging his calf when he comes out . It’s still going to take some time .

Proctor 6 minutes no points. He's behind Blakes right now. If Lively doesn't play in the second half he's probably out for Kansas.
Edit: Lively jogged back onto the court. Fingers crossed.
Mitchell, Young and Flip working on double doubles. Esp. Mitchell.

Last edited:
Reactions: ioliva and Duke Blu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT