ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Charlotte

Not necessarily - to get a truly speedy recovery you go non-weight hearing as long as you can while doing anti-gravity training. I won’t be shocked if he’s back for Baylor. Def not Tuesday though.
Back for Baylor would be awesome. I was watching him during time outs and he is still not putting weight on it. Hopefully those 19 year old ankles heal quick.

We are still a big guy away from being a serious contender. Looks like Stewart had 0 points and 1 rebound in 6 minutes. Reeves is injured. If McCain becomes a OAD stud that really helps us. 21 points today.

He was All-Windex on the glass. Thankfully, we didn’t need his O today.
I should've said he was terrible on offense. But his D and rebounding was solid. He missed bunnies; he makes a few more of those open threes that didn't go down today.

Reactions: GAAP
A lot to be optimistic about. The defense looked better in stretches, as did the rebounding. Our guards played better. And I love Mark being aggressive with his shot. Flip didn't allow his defense and rebounding to be affected by his poor offensive showing. Roach has been so good for us. We're so lucky to have a senior Roach. Let's build on this!

Tale of two halves:

1st Half: Fast start for the Blue Devils. They played solid team defense, moved the ball well, pushed the ball up the court off of defensive rebounds, they were all crashing the boards. Flip was doing a very good job of passing out of double teams.

2nd Half: Lackadaisical start to open up the half, the guys reverted back to some of their bad habits throughout stretches of not being engaged defensively, not looking for one another, playing iso ball. They finally cleaned it
up with about 8 minutes left in the ball game. Duke still needs to practice it’s free throws!!!

Duke needs to play similar to the 1st half of today’s game from here on out. Blakes won’t give us those numbers offensively very often, but he is too good defensively to not be a regular part of the rotation.

A win is a win. Outlier of a game for Blake's. Hopefully no one jumps on his bandwagon after this one game
I never jumped off. I always thought he deserved more minutes than what he gets. I would point out his effort to the other players and give him some of Foster and McCain’s minutes just to light a fire. Foster was MIA most of the game today.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I never jumped off. I always thought he deserved more minutes than what he gets. I would point out his effort to the other players and give him some of Foster and McCain’s minutes just to light a fire. Foster was MIA most of the game today.
Foster has been solid last two games and I would disagree about giving his minutes away. Blakes has shown flashes like this from time to time, bit Foster has a higher ceiling. In this last two games, he's played 66 minutes with 2 total turnovers.

He's earned his minutes.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Foster has been solid last two games and I would disagree about giving his minutes away. Blakes has shown flashes like this from time to time, bit Foster has a higher ceiling. In this last two games, he's played 66 minutes with 2 total turnovers.

He's earned his minutes.
Blakes played better today. Foster didn’t have the ball in his hands as much as you would think. I think he and McCain should still be able to reach their ceiling with a few less minutes a game.

Blakes played better today. Foster didn’t have the ball in his hands as much as you would think. I think he and McCain should still be able to reach their ceiling with a few less minutes a game.
Foster absolutely had the ball in his hands often today, as he did at GT.

Blakes played well and if he can keep it up, all the better for us. Come February, Foster is the bigger piece to this puzzle than Blakes.

In the 1st half it seemed like Foster had the ball in his hands more in contrast to the 2nd half.

When Proctor returns I think Duke’s PG depth chart is best in this order:

Proctor
Foster
Roach

Roach is most valuable having sets ran for him as is McCain.

Reactions: DBM0828
It's weird to me because Power played good against GT and gets very little clock. Stewart gets very little clock. These two alone will improve this team with their contributions but you can't get anything sitting on the bench. It's hard to be confident and ready to perform when you get no chance to learn and try on the court... as big of a potential fan of Reeves as I am, I think he's gone. I don't think he will ever get a chance. He's shown potential in CTC scrimmages both years. To me max potential is a 75% Derek Lively. Same build, would be looked to do similar things (rebound, be big, and catch an oop) but idk if it's an "injury" or a he's moving on thing at this point.

Reactions: hart2chesson
We should get year 3 out of Mitchell. Doesn't mean we will; but we should. He would really help a young team next year. Work on your shot all summer.
I can’t imagine him going pro, unless he’s fluent in another language or content to play in the G League. I could, however, see him transfer if he senses our incoming class is going to leapfrog him.

I believe it’s too late?
If it’s a medical redshirt, here are the rules:

1. The athlete’s injury had to happen within the first half of the season, and they couldn’t have participated in more than 30% of the team’s games that season.
  2. The injury must be verified with documentation and must be deemed “season-ending.”
Otherwise, the redshirt falls within the “must play your 4 years in 5 years” rule, in which case any season you have played even once counts as a complete year. Obviously the COVID exemption doesn’t apply in Reeves’ case.

If it’s a medical redshirt, here are the rules:

1. The athlete’s injury had to happen within the first half of the season, and they couldn’t have participated in more than 30% of the team’s games that season.
  2. The injury must be verified with documentation and must be deemed “season-ending.”
Otherwise, the redshirt falls within the “must play your 4 years in 5 years” rule, in which case any season you have played even once counts as a complete year. Obviously the COVID exemption doesn’t apply in Reeves’ case.
Thank you.

I would think the 30% rule would allow him to redshirt…..

I didn’t take much from the game outside the fact Duke played Charlotte . My take is ,

Flip can not play through double teams and they will continue to double him . It wasn’t that he was not trying on offense they just contained him on defense.

I will continue not to hop on the McCain band wagon until he plays to his potential in big games . More interested if he can have the same outcome against Baylor.

Foster is still learning his role and it shows . Is he the point when he’s on the floor with Roach or is he the combo guard ?

Stewart needs to adapt quicker he has moments but he’s not ready yet and Powers is improving in the defensive end but no one still looks for him when Duke goes iso .

Mitchell for some reason can’t see his strength is simply attacking the basket on offense and plays timid . Don’t know if he’s worried about getting injured or what .

This team will make the tourney but won’t contend . There are too many holes that simply can’t be answered. Teams will continue to double Flip and sag off Duke shooters. When Charlotte got with in 11 it looked like the team simply regressed when Charlotte went on their 11-0 run . You simply can’t let many teams do that and Charlotte’s main big went out the game .

I didn’t take much from the game outside the fact Duke played Charlotte . My take is ,

Flip can not play through double teams and they will continue to double him . It wasn’t that he was not trying on offense they just contained him on defense.

I will continue not to hop on the McCain band wagon until he plays to his potential in big games . More interested if he can have the same outcome against Baylor.

Foster is still learning his role and it shows . Is he the point when he’s on the floor with Roach or is he the combo guard ?

Stewart needs to adapt quicker he has moments but he’s not ready yet and Powers is improving in the defensive end but no one still looks for him when Duke goes iso .

Mitchell for some reason can’t see his strength is simply attacking the basket on offense and plays timid . Don’t know if he’s worried about getting injured or what .

This team will make the tourney but won’t contend . There are too many holes that simply can’t be answered. Teams will continue to double Flip and sag off Duke shooters. When Charlotte got with in 11 it looked like the team simply regressed when Charlotte went on their 11-0 run . You simply can’t let many teams do that and Charlotte’s main big went out the game .
It's definitely the personality of our players. Roach, Proctor and our Freshmen are aggressive, but that's pretty much it. We need others to step it up.

Reactions: sheyduke
Redshirt young man. Whether you stay at Duke or not.
I would red shirt and save the year .

It was an interesting topic brought up by Chris about Mitchell. He’s really a wf and Duke has ample SF’s coming in . He would be Dukes starting PF next season but if he doesn’t go pro does he return to Duke ?

Reactions: christophero
In the first half to me it seemed like Duke was attempting to set the pace of the game. The pace being small ball and pushing the ball up and running. I liked it, then for some reason it seemed like Duke regressed in the 2nd half.

Been waiting for Duke to set the tone at the start of games and get out to fast starts. If Duke is not going to go with a more traditional lineup of 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center; then, the strategy from the 1st half is the way to go, make the opposition play your style!!!

And that is the point. We were playing Charlotte, not Kansas. So we should have had gaudy numbers. The 11-0 run was inexcusable and evidenced many of the same weaknesses that resulted in losses to powerhouse GT and Ark. Baylor's quickness is going to be a huge problem for us in getting our shooters open. With the problems we have in the paint, I agree that we will have a tough time competing in the tourney. OFC

A win over Baylor is exactly what we need; but I just don't see that happening. The schedule is relatively easy after that before February gets hard. Hard to see this team with less than 8-9 losses, which would not be a good seed. Still; always hope for a late run. This team does look a lot like last year's team pre Lively breakout. Our ceiling is dependent on how good the freshman are by year's end. Stewart, Power and Foster look like multi year guys which is great; but I'm not sure how much Stewart and Power can help us this year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT