ADVERTISEMENT

Official gameday thread- Game 2 Duke vs USC Upstate

Grandison now in double figures. Blakes has become the guy we thought he would be last year. Nice to see growth like that. We're up 40. I know this team is not good but we're still up 40. Schutt with a 3!!! Young in double figures now. YMCA! Flip with another double double.

Last edited:
And the best part of tonight is while we look fantastic college of Charleston may get it done… AGAIN 😈

Reactions: christophero
Flip with 15 and 10. I'm starting to really like this team. we play defense. 5 guys in double figures. Kansas will be a big test though. And Lively saw some action today. Catchings with his first basket at Duke.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession3
Based on what I have seen so far I would start Roach, Grandison, Mitchell, Flip and Young vs Kansas. Maybe Blakes if we need to go small. Proctor does not look ready.

Reactions: Duke Blu
He's played in the Big 10 for 2 years. You could say that about any of our guys other than Roach.

It's early, but any doubts about Flip should be minimal. Team looks really deep this year which is awesome.

Still think Proctor should and will start. He just needs minutes with the squad since he missed so much time in the off-season.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Watched the condensed game and a few things stood out.
1. Flip is playing through contact and looks comfortable out there. He is very long and a good rebounder.
2. Ryan Young may not be quick, but he does have a quick spin move and great basket awareness.
3. Grandison scored in a variety of ways. 3 pointer, pull up jumper, driving lay up, dunk.
4. Kale Catchings may not play much, but he could play some if needed. He showed surprising athleticism on his 2 baskets.
5. Our backcourt needs to cut down on the turnovers.
6. Teams are going to keep a close eye on Mitchell, which should free up others for easy looks.
Overall not a lot to complain about, and Lively can give us some minutes Tuesday. On to Kansas. Kansas is not a superteam, but they are a LOT better than our last 3 opponents. The Houston scrimmage should have us prepared. I think it will be a close game. If we limit the turnovers we should win. If Mitchell can effectively drive like he has teams might start zoning us.

Last edited:
I think the turnovers yesterday were as I call forced fed. The very first two turnovers were from dribbling into double teams . Some slow passing into the lane . All can be corrected. Still need to teach offensive rebounding.
not sure anyone in Dukes backcourt , even if it’s early . Not named Roach should be starting over Blakes at this point . We will see how Grandison does against Kansas before I stop nit picking him. He does some things good but what else should you expect from a fifth year senior?

Man I love Young. He is going to get a lot of teams into foul trouble, yes, even the power five teams. He really has throwback post moves that are no longer common and will give folks problems

He's student of the game at the post level. Soon teams will send a double team his way, and at that point we must knock down shots. Or, he will get the old fashioned 3 points.

I’d play Roach , Blakes , Mitchell ,Flip and Young vs Kansas. I’m not sold on Grandison as he shows up against lower ACC opponents.
Blakes has really matured. The kid is aggressive on every play. Give Proctor one more opportunity and this time against high level competition.

Reactions: sheyduke
Flip with 15 and 10. I'm starting to really like this team. we play defense. 5 guys in double figures. Kansas will be a big test though. And Lively saw some action today. Catchings with his first basket at Duke.
Flip has no pressure, and the return of Lively makes it even better. Just let the kid have fun.

Flip wasn’t exactly finishing through contact but he was playing into it. He’s going to have to because teams don’t have the size Duke does so getting the ball down low is always going to be there.

Reactions: jamsession3
Other teams update. Gonzaga squeaks past Michigan State. Eastern Michigan loses a close one to Michigan. Emoni Bates had 30. Baker had one point.
I'm excited about Kansas. I think we have a great shot at winning.

Last edited:
Other teams update. Gonzaga squeaks past Michigan State. Eastern Michigan loses a close one to Michigan. Emoni Bates had 30. Baker had one point.
I'm excited about Kansas. I think we have a great shot at winning.
Meanwhile ACC ooc troubles continue. FSU loses to Stetson by 9 I believe and UCF by 14. Wright St beats Ville. Ga Tech beats Ga State by two. Pitt loses to WV by 25. On a more positive note, can’t wait for Tuesday. Love watching this team so far

Even though Duke will still not be at full strength Tuesday, I think that they have a good shot at winning. They look both deep and talented and unless I am fooling myself, the overplay on defense looks like it has been dialed back. I truly hated what seemed to be layup lines by the opposition the last few years. Get Whitehead back healthy and in game shape and who knows what might happen in March.

I’d play Roach , Blakes , Mitchell ,Flip and Young vs Kansas. I’m not sold on Grandison as he shows up against lower ACC opponents.
Grandison has proved it against Big Ten competition. Blakes is the one who hasn't proved it yet. Yes, he has played well in these warm up games, and I do believe he can play some minutes off the bench, but I am no where near letting him start. I'm still starting Proctor, personally. But I have Grandison above Blakes too. That said, I love the kid's effort.

Grandison has proved it against Big Ten competition. Blakes is the one who hasn't proved it yet. Yes, he has played well in these warm up games, and I do believe he can play some minutes off the bench, but I am no where near letting him start. I'm still starting Proctor, personally. But I have Grandison above Blakes too. That said, I love the kid's effort.
And we will see how Grandison does against Kansas. I’m just not sold on him yet or jumping on the Grandison bandwagon. I have nothing against the kid . He’s a fifth year senior so you expect him to play tough and smart . I want to see him against better competition. Proctor should start but I think he needs to find his confidence at this level . My reason for starting Blakes is for defense .

Kansas is small and quick. Sounds like the game plan will be to contain Roach. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. They may press us.

Reactions: Liftee
It's hard to see us winning without Proctor giving us more. Roach needs some help. Blakes is solid, but not sure he is ready for a starring role yet. I'm excited to see. Having Lively back helps.
Edit: DJ Wagner committed to Kentucky over Louisville. Tough break for Nolan and the Cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke Blu
It's hard to see us winning without Proctor giving us more. Roach needs some help. Blakes is solid, but not sure he is ready for a starring role yet. I'm excited to see. Having Lively back helps.
Edit: DJ Wagner committed to Kentucky over Louisville. Tough break for Nolan and the Cards.
Dukes front court depth (Flip, Lively, Young and Mitchell ) it’s stronger then Kansas. We need more then proctor because Wilson isn’t no slouch and Grady Dick is averaging 17 points per game . You’ll need Grandison as well . It’s his time to show off his skill .

The general vibe on the Kansas board was that they have a better backcourt and we have a better frontcourt. We will see. A guy like Whitehead would be very valuable in this game. Kansas has some quick wings. They did have some comments about Duke paying players, which I thought was rich coming from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
The general vibe on the Kansas board was that they have a better backcourt and we have a better frontcourt. We will see. A guy like Whitehead would be very valuable in this game. Kansas has some quick wings. They did have some comments about Duke paying players, which I thought was rich coming from them.
We are , well actually Duke isn’t but it’s not the schools fault players getting NIL deals lol. I actually do think their back court is good but this team is playing defense so I don’t expect Dick to get his 17 points.

I read the same thing concerning recruiting. It is classic cognitive dissonance as they struggle to explain why Duke's recruiting didn't fall off a cliff after K retired. RR does the same by either postulating that K is still running the program behind the scenes or moving the goal posts on the anticipated Duke collapse to 5 years from now "after the K effect has fully dissipated" to paraphrase some of them. A lot of posters on both boards have spent years frothing at the mouth to see K retire and Duke become irrelevant. When fervent hope is dashed by reality:confused::mad:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT