ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday Thread- Game 1 DUKE vs Jacksonville

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!! After another long offseason(although the older I get the shorter that off-season feels) it’s finally time to tip off. There will be a new king roaming the sidelines this year with national champion Jon Scheyer taking the helm after the goat walked off in nearly perfect fashion last year. The talk has happened, the speculation is over and we are now in a NEW era of duke basketball, let’s hope it’s a good one

Jacksonville state comes in off of a solid 21-22 season with a record of 21-10 and a 5 point lose in their conference championship game. They appear to return most of that core team for second year head coach Jordan Mincy who won the “joe b hall award” for top first year head coach in the country.. last year they also had the #5 scoring defense and #12 rebounding margin in the nation

this game doesn’t appear to be the pushover we might expect but prediction time…..

Duke-83
Jacksonville- 68

they keep it close for a while but we pull away the last 10-12 minutes

Duke -75
Jacksonville-60

I think they test Dukes guards tonight. Dukes bigs control the post and Flip has a good shooting night .

Ready to see what the new era will look like. Sounds like a lot on emphasis on defense. Looking forward to seeing that!

Let's Go Duke!

We win by 14. .It is close in the first half. Mitchell and Young lead the way. Flip hits double figures for the first time. The guards score more, and Lively doesn't play.

Last edited:
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!! After another long offseason(although the older I get the shorter that off-season feels) it’s finally time to tip off. There will be a new king roaming the sidelines this year with national champion Jon Scheyer taking the helm after the goat walked off in nearly perfect fashion last year. The talk has happened, the speculation is over and we are now in a NEW era of duke basketball, let’s hope it’s a good one

Jacksonville state comes in off of a solid 21-22 season with a record of 21-10 and a 5 point lose in their conference championship game. They appear to return most of that core team for second year head coach Jordan Mincy who won the “joe b hall award” for top first year head coach in the country.. last year they also had the #5 scoring defense and #12 rebounding margin in the nation

this game doesn’t appear to be the pushover we might expect but prediction time…..

Duke-83
Jacksonville- 68

they keep it close for a while but we pull away the last 10-12 minutes
Well done, Pis. Agree Jacksonville is no cupcake, and neither is Bellarmine, who knocked out Jville last year and who we play pretty soon. Duke by 12.

Reactions: pisgah101
Well Dariq is out, and I'm assuming the same for Lively. Just read that Jeff Goodman said Jacksonville 2nd best player is out too. 73-59 Duke

Duke up 20 to 13. Mitchell with 7, Roach with 8 points. Blakes has 6. he has hit 2 threes. Now 25-18.

Last edited:
Obviously very early but it seems more players touching the ball than what we’ve seen in recent years. Less isolation….

I loved the high low from Filipowski to Young.

Mitchell is like Winslow 2.0.
42-26.
Grandison with 4 rebounds off the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffrey236
Grandison is going to have to show me more. Not sure he should be ahead of Blakes.
Flip is a true freshman as is Proctor.

Mitchell showing out, Roach is hitting threes and Young is doing what he was brought in for .

Hard to really see this team without Lively and Whitehead. I’m on the side that we won’t see Whitehead until after Christmas. Not so sure on Lively but both will be needed.

Reactions: christophero
Proctor's 0 for 6. Blakes playing better right now. Flip with a solid half. Mitchell and Roach the standouts.
46-28. Ryan Young 6 points, 6 rebounds, 3-3 from the floor.

Our backcourt needs to be better. Proctor struggling out there.
Flip with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Young 12 and 7. Mitchell with 18 points. Roach has shot well. Even when Lively comes back Young needs at least 15mpg. He's so efficient.
65-38. Nice showing.

Last edited:
As long as he doesn’t play in no more then two or three games he’s fine .
Two guards that need to show more . Grandison and Proctor .

There was some stuff left out on the floor. Clear improvements to be had. But that is totally expected, especially missing the two players they are relying on making them great. Good first game.

Our leading minutes guy, tied with Roach at 32 minutes, was Young. Even though Lively is out, that says something. Mitchell has quietly become our best player. Blakes with another good outing. Roach with 16, 4 assists. Flip seems to be figuring it out. Proctor looks a little over his head, but should improve rapidly. I'm watching the highlights now and one thing I've seen this team do several times is make the extra pass. Twice Grandison gave up a look to get it to a wide open Blakes, who hit them both. Grandison does a lot of little things, so even when he isn't hitting he still contributes. He's a good passer and rebounder.

Last edited:
Thanks, Conor! Well, now we know that Reeves isn't redshirting. I thought that was a solid effort on the defensive end, and I liked most of what I saw tonight, especially the ball movement. This team plays very unselfishly with the basketball. Going to be a deep group once Whitehead and Lively get out there. On to Friday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT