ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday Thread- Game 1 DUKE vs Jacksonville

Reeves was told in the shootaround that he won't be redshirting this year. (Thanks Conor) Hey, at least it gives us another body and will get him some game experience. I don't expect him to play much though.

Reeves was told in the shootaround that he won't be redshirting this year. (Thanks Conor) Hey, at least it gives us another body and will get him some game experience. I don't expect him to play much though.
Not a good conversation...

Reactions: sheyduke
Thought there were a lot of positives last night. Play a deep bench, slow the tempo at times, defense keeps them out of the paint. Not too many crazy turnovers. Should continue to improve and hopefully peak late. Be a tough out in the NCAAT.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Don’t agree with the Reeves not red shirting . He will be last big off the bench( he’s not beating out Mitchell or young ). It’s not my call but he’ll have work to do .

Chris, I like your enthusiasm for Grandison but I can’t give him an upgrade over Baker. What do you expect from a fifth year senior who played at Rice and Illinois? He’s going to have to show me more . He differed to Blakes because his shot wasn’t falling. Great extra pass but still not sure he’s ahead of Blakes.

Proctor will be fine . He simply has to do what got him scouted and I think he’s really just pushing himself to hard.

If Reeves is insurance for Lively in case he stays injured , him playing at the end of the game shows he’s got a ways to go to break the rotation .

All in all, a good game on to Friday now and hopefully a healthy Lively .

Duke looked good overall. One moment I was thinking Young wasn’t very good but once he got going he looked good. Proctor? First game jitters I bet - he looked overwhelmed out there. Roach and Mitchell were beast mode.

This was a quality opponent they handled by nearly 30 while not having two presumed starters…..I will take it.

Also, it appears Reeves won’t redshirt, unless the rules changed and I honestly missed it. He will be needed in the long haul this season.

Reactions: pisgah101
Duke looked good overall. One moment I was thinking Young wasn’t very good but once he got going he looked good. Proctor? First game jitters I bet - he looked overwhelmed out there. Roach and Mitchell were beast mode.

This was a quality opponent they handled by nearly 30 while not having two presumed starters…..I will take it.

Also, it appears Reeves won’t redshirt, unless the rules changed and I honestly missed it. He will be needed in the long haul this season.
It was told to him at shoot around he wasn’t red shirting but he will be last big in off the bench unless lively simply can’t stay healthy

Feature on Mark Mitchell and his defensive versatility (free).

I'd be remiss if I didn't at least offer one plug to sign up for a premium membership. The story from last night and the one linked above are free, but a lot of stories in basketball season won't be. By unlocking them, hopefully you get a feel for the coverage I'll provide and if you enjoy those stories, sign up to read more of them.

You can sign up for a 30-day free trial using "DUKE30" by clicking here.

It was told to him at shoot around he wasn’t red shirting but he will be last big in off the bench unless lively simply can’t stay healthy
He wouldn’t be the last big though, that’s Borden. Reeves will end up playing more minutes before end of season, I’m confident in that. Not 30 min a game, but I suspect he will help in high foul games.

Reactions: pisgah101
He wouldn’t be the last big though, that’s Borden. Reeves will end up playing more minutes before end of season, I’m confident in that. Not 30 min a game, but I suspect he will help in high foul games.

he didn’t even look lost like most do in scrap minutes. Lively, young, flip, and reeves is a 4 headed monster inside for us

Reactions: Fourteen44
I've said it before, I don't see Reeves staying 4 years let alone 5. I think this reflects the staff thinking he'll be ready next year or the year after and he deserves to get a little burn this year.

I'm still very high on Proctor. He just has to learn to pick his spots. Also, it's hard for him to drive from the top of the key against a zone. I like his defense too.

I think it's official, Blakes is in the rotation and Schutt is not. I hope Schutt keeps working on his game so he isn't passed up in future years as well.

I would've played Borden before Reeves. Not because Borden is better, but he's needed later.

I've said it before, I don't see Reeves staying 4 years let alone 5. I think this reflects the staff thinking he'll be ready next year or the year after and he deserves to get a little burn this year.

I'm still very high on Proctor. He just has to learn to pick his spots. Also, it's hard for him to drive from the top of the key against a zone. I like his defense too.

I think it's official, Blakes is in the rotation and Schutt is not. I hope Schutt keeps working on his game so he isn't passed up in future years as well.
Duke is loaded, but loaded don't mean everyone is playing. Mitchell is solid. If D Whitehead is better, Oh My!

Reactions: sheyduke
Your forgetting about Mitchell. The Bulk of Mitchell’s minutes are coming at the four. He can defend the three but his offensive game is better suited at the four. Leaving Reeves last big man off the bench u less he just completely surpasses Flip and young .
Also when Whitehead and Lively are both healthy I just see it being hard to keep Mitchell out the starting line up. I’d look for both Young and Flip to come off the bench .

Your forgetting about Mitchell. The Bulk of Mitchell’s minutes are coming at the four. He can defend the three but his offensive game is better suited at the four. Leaving Reeves last big man off the bench u less he just completely surpasses Flip and young .
Also when Whitehead and Lively are both healthy I just see it being hard to keep Mitchell out the starting line up. I’d look for both Young and Flip to come off the bench .
I’m not ignoring Mitchell, I’m looking at situations where a true 5 is needed. If Mitchell is playing the 5 in a physical game, then Duke is likely in a ton of trouble a la UConn 2004.

Grandison is going to have to show me more. Not sure he should be ahead of Blakes.
Flip is a true freshman as is Proctor.

Mitchell showing out, Roach is hitting threes and Young is doing what he was brought in for .

Hard to really see this team without Lively and Whitehead. I’m on the side that we won’t see Whitehead until after Christmas. Not so sure on Lively but both will be needed.
grandison looked good in the exhibition....was 1 of 4 last night, but did have 5 rebs and 5 asts

Reactions: christophero
Wasn't Grandison our leading scorer the game before this one?
Against who? Fayetteville St. you could give Schutt the minutes he played and he atleast hits ten against Fayetteville st. I could see if he was playing at Holy Cross again but this is Duke. The guard play only gets harder.

I’m not ignoring Mitchell, I’m looking at situations where a true 5 is needed. If Mitchell is playing the 5 in a physical game, then Duke is likely in a ton of trouble a la UConn 2004.
That’s why Duke has Lively, Flip and Young. Reeves would still be third to fourth option at Center. Even if you play Lively and Flip together . That still leaves Young and Mitchell. I just don’t see a situation where Mitchell is glued coming off the bench behind Whitehead all season and see the bulk of his minutes coming at the four especially when Whitehead gets healthy.

grandison looked good in the exhibition....was 1 of 4 last night, but did have 5 rebs and 5 asts
Yes I’m an exhibition. He was brought in as a shooter and to add experience. The competition isn’t going to equal Fayetteville st or even Jacksonville. It will only get harder .

That’s why Duke has Lively, Flip and Young. Reeves would still be third to fourth option at Center. Even if you play Lively and Flip together . That still leaves Young and Mitchell. I just don’t see a situation where Mitchell is glued coming off the bench behind Whitehead all season and see the bulk of his minutes coming at the four especially when Whitehead gets healthy.
I’m not sold - you’re assuming everyone gets and stays healthy and Duke has no high-foul games. Regardless you’ll disagree with what I say so this is futile. Lol.

I’m not sold - you’re assuming everyone gets and stays healthy and Duke has no high-foul games. Regardless you’ll disagree with what I say so this is futile. Lol.
I’m not disagreeing . I get what everyone is saying in reference to it but let’s be honest here. Do you see a case where three centers get into foul trouble in one night ? Even with injury ( hopefully not two bigs ) do you see him getting a lot of minutes ? Lively has been out CTC ( Reeves shined), Houston scrimmage ( didn’t play ) and mop up minutes yesterday. I guess my other question baring injury , Who’s minutes do they cut back on with a healthy Lively and Whitehead? Who does he take minutes from at the five over Lively , Flip and young ? Mitchell we have already seen split minutes at sf/pf spot . We’ve seen Flip and Mitchell, Young and Flip and Young and Mitchell .

I’m not disagreeing . I get what everyone is saying in reference to it but let’s be honest here. Do you see a case where three centers get into foul trouble in one night ? Even with injury ( hopefully not two bigs ) do you see him getting a lot of minutes ? Lively has been out CTC ( Reeves shined), Houston scrimmage ( didn’t play ) and mop up minutes yesterday. I guess my other question baring injury . Who’s minutes do they cut back on with a healthy Lively and Whitehead?
I don’t see Flip playing a ton of the 5, regardless, and I’m not sure Lively will stay healthy. Lastly, Whitehead is far from the clear - this injury may cause issues the whole season. I hope I’m wrong. The staff isn’t wasting a redshirt for Reeves for him to play mop up all season.

I don’t see Flip playing a ton of the 5, regardless, and I’m not sure Lively will stay healthy. Lastly, Whitehead is far from the clear - this injury may cause issues the whole season. I hope I’m wrong. The staff isn’t wasting a redshirt for Reeves for him to play mop up all season.
But it’s position less basketball so I guess we can say frontcourt. He played the five last night with Mitchell,Grandison, Roach and Blakes/Proctor on the floor.
Me and my son had the same idea with Whitehead last night . He could play or another injury to the same foot could cause him to sit out the season. I’m not going to say that due to how many players have burned their red shirt to play mop up minutes ? Even with out Flip playing the five there is still Young .

But it’s position less basketball so I guess we can say frontcourt. He played the five last night with Mitchell,Grandison, Roach and Blakes/Proctor on the floor.
Me and my son had the same idea with Whitehead last night . He could play or another injury to the same foot could cause him to sit out the season. I’m not going to say that due to how many players have burned their red shirt to play mop up minutes ? Even with out Flip playing the five there is still Young .
Reeves will play more as season goes on I bet. We shall see. The staff knows something we don’t, is it injury issues, lack of confidence of the current set up for the long haul?

Reeves will play more as season goes on I bet. We shall see. The staff knows something we don’t, is it injury issues, lack of confidence of the current set up for the long haul?
I’ll give it to the staff . The rotation was different then K’s in terms of players being rotated out . We will have to see on Reeves . If his minutes begin to pick up starting Friday . It will be interesting to see going forward .

The no redshirt tells me the staff are all in and think this team can go far. Lively could also be injury prone, who knows. And there will probably be more injuries there always are. But there is probably one or two games we will need Reeves, like UConn or when Vrank stepped up in the ACC tournament when Bolden was hurt.

Reactions: jamsession3
Vrank was the elephant in the room in many conversations. In another program, that kid starts or the first big off the bench. We do not need the repeat. I'm going to trust Jon!

I was beating the Vrank needs to play more that whole year haha. Bolden was frustrating to watch.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Just tells me they are realistic and know that very few players stay at one school for 5 years these days, especially at Duke.

Just tells me they are realistic and know that very few players stay at one school for 5 years these days, especially at Duke.
I don’t get this . Who ever guarantees red shirt or not to stay at one school for four or five years given the state of college basketball. All a player has to say is I don’t like something and he can bolt to another school. If anything I’d have to agree with 44 and say it has to do more with the injuries possibly occurring. Outside of Lively , Reeves is the only known rim protector . I look forward to seeing if his minutes increase a little starting Friday .

Reactions: geddoughton23
If Young and Lively get in foul trouble, he could be very helpful. I’ll never forget 2004 against UConn when Okafor and the zebras fouled out our front line. I’d have paid good money to have a guy like Reeves available… And I still think that if Reeves isn’t going to be there more than 4 years anyway, he might as well be available and get some minutes, even if only in cleanup time.

If Young and Lively get in foul trouble, he could be very helpful. I’ll never forget 2004 against UConn when Okafor and the zebras fouled out our front line. I’d have paid good money to have a guy like Reeves available… And I still think that if Reeves isn’t going to be there more than 4 years anyway, he might as well be available and get some minutes, even if only in cleanup time.
I get this but your still leaving out Mitchell being able to play the four and sliding flip over to the five . I doubt we see a night where three big men are in foul trouble . Hopefully he continues to work his tail off and gets more then two minutes a game . I get everyone is looking at the fouls Flip and Young can pile up but this is with out Lively and once healthy I think it’s safe to say Young comes off the bench .

Yes I’m an exhibition. He was brought in as a shooter and to add experience. The competition isn’t going to equal Fayetteville st or even Jacksonville. It will only get harder .
exhibition true, but he only took 4 shots....he did though defend, rebound and assist

Grandison does a lot of Nate James type stuff. He is way more than a shooter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT