ADVERTISEMENT

***NCAA TOURNAMENT SWEET SIXTEEN - DUKE VS OREGON OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Dukiejay, thanks for all your work this year. They dont pay you enough. Dukehokie, Skeelow , Spike, bludvls1 see you at CTC ! "This old man " will be available to meet anyone else there as well, LOL. We go by the sweet 16 like it's not even there next season baby ! GO DUKE !

Dukehokie he did make some big shots this year! Like maybe 5 or 6 all season. It seems like he was better in the early season and we just had too many problems to make him look good.

I'll take 5-6 out of a freshman PG on a non-PG friendly team. He'll learn and grow from this, but I agree his early season was better than late year, just like Grayson and Matt.

Dukiejay, thanks for all your work this year. They dont pay you enough. Dukehokie, Skeelow , Spike, bludvls1 see you at CTC ! "This old man " will be available to meet anyone else there as well, LOL. We go by the sweet 16 like it's not even there next season baby ! GO DUKE !
Hopefully they'll let the players interact next year. My daughter wants to meet Luke again. I can't wait for next season. This one had its ups and downs but I'm still a fan no matter what!

See ya at CTC Show. And everyone else too. End of the day, we're all Duke fans. Together (right?).

For dramatic purposes. Lol... And no not the "only" reason. I'm pretty dissapointed with the lack of fire Grayson showed tonight. He struggled bad as he did against UK with teams that have length. He needs to stay or he'll be one people say "Duke doesn't produce pros" anout

In terms of legacy, he'll have a bigger impact in the basketball world if he stays at Duke and leaves with his jersey retired than he will be getting to the NBA and struggling.

Reactions: pisgah101
Adrian, you see how they pick on this tiny lil old man? Will you protect me at CTC?

Reactions: dukehokie
Maybe the Hoosiers can help ease the sting tomorrow. I mean, there has to be one or two good one's tomorrow, right? Four games and all four pretty much decided midway through the second half. When's the last time you didn't have to watch the last five minutes of a single Swwet 16 game in a night?

Seemed like our guys didn't play with that heart and guts like we have been accustomed to seeing throughout the season. Something seemed off. Sad to see the Plumlee era come to an end, but at the end of the day still proud of these guys for being able to play like they did all season with a very thin bench and make it to the sweet sixteen. Best of luck to Brandon Ingram in the NBA. It's been fun having him on this team. In my eyes he is well deserving of being the number one pick in the draft. Dissappointed about the loss like all of us are but fun times ahead next season.
In the meantime

Hoosier Daddy
Come Back Grayson
Come to Duke Marques:)

I think it's easy to over look what Oregon did. They were basically better all the way around. On top of that Duke wasn't good tonight. I thought when K preached emotion at the half we would see more life. Actually I think the start of the half best us. Oregon has a great coach. Prolly not a real likeabke squad but they are legit.

I really love Duke Basketball as its been a nice gift the good Lord has given me. What made this year special was 1st Grayson with his determination to not lose and his toughness (less the tripping of course) and I certainly hope he comes back another year. Then Ingram, when I first saw him and his seemingly lack of enthusiasm in the beginning and his lazy looking sleepy eyes and the awful tattoos I had real doubts about him but I quickly learned to love his game and instinct for the basket, rebounding and shot blocking. 3rd had to be the emergence of Marshall Plumlee as a good college center. His great enthusiasm, dunking, rebounding and leadership made me a real Marshall fan. 4th was a surprise from Luke Kennard who showed great scoring ability and rebounding for a guard. 5th was the job Coach K did with a thin team with little bench. Thank you fellows for a nice year of basketball, a great win over UNC. Also appreciative of the other players and hoping next year brings the best out of all the returning players.

DT is a young freshman so I understand his struggles but if this team is gonna win a NT next year he has to have a huge improvement. Coach K teams don't win NT with average to below average point guard play. The talent alone will not get us there. I hope he can become the player we all thought he was going to be.

Sucks when it ends like this, but only 5 times have we had a happy ending. Go duke and screw Verne

Reactions: Laettner
Had to wait a little while to gather some thoughts and really couldn't come up with many. Tough year but still loved this teams fight and hard work through some difficult times. We never were well. Looking forward to neXt year. Can't wait to see some vets back along with the new guys. So long Marshall. You will be missed by this old fart. You are a very special young man, OFC.

Reactions: Dad2ze
I think it's easy to over look what Oregon did. They were basically better all the way around. On top of that Duke wasn't good tonight. I thought when K preached emotion at the half we would see more life. Actually I think the start of the half best us. Oregon has a great coach. Prolly not a real likeabke squad but they are legit.

Agreed. I don't think they're a great team, but they're the type of club that gives us fits. Earlier in this thread I mentioned their length really worried me....specifically disrupting Grayson. Unfortunately I was right. In order to beat a team like that we need to shoot really well and we didn't. Heck, I thought they'd turn us over more, but we only had eight turnovers all night....and half of them were probably self-inflicted.

Reactions: dukehokie
Agreed. I don't think they're a great team, but they're the type of club that gives us fits. Earlier in this thread I mentioned their length really worried me....specifically disrupting Grayson. Unfortunately I was right. In order to beat a team like that we need to shoot really well and we didn't. Heck, I thought they'd turn us over more, but we only had eight turnovers all night....and half of them were probably self-inflicted.

That should be the first thing K tells Grayson when they meet about going pro. He can't handle pro length yet

To me they're very similar to Miami. Like above posters have said, a team that gives us fits on off years because of their athleticism.

With that said, similar to Miami. I think if you guard Oregon man to man they are very easy to defend. Duke just wasn't a good defensive team this year and had to go zone. To start the game our initial man D was very solid, than marshall got 2 dumb early fouls and that set us on the wrong track having to play a lot of zone.

Yeah, I heard the announcer immediately say "oh Allen just shoved the Oregon player away." He just wants to throw fuel on the fire.
Hope Verne Lundquist is proud of his flat out lie last night. "Allen shoved Brooks away as he tried to shake his hand". CBS went back & it was quite evident Grayson just walked away. A media member of Verne's status should not condemn a 20 year old college kid for something which did not occur. Lost a lot of respect for Verne last night.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
Good season and disappointed the season came to an end. Should be good weekend of hoops.

Hope Verne Lundquist is proud of his flat out lie last night. "Allen shoved Brooks away as he tried to shake his hand". CBS went back & it was quite evident Grayson just walked away. A media member of Verne's status should not condemn a 20 year old college kid for something which did not occur. Lost a lot of respect for Verne last night.

I'm a fan of Lundquist, but that was bad. The worst is that I've been seeing Grayson attacked on social media for not shaking hands with the opposing team. For one, he did shake hands, he just wasn't thrilled being hugged by a guy who shot a 30-footer with the clock winding down and leading by 11.

Reactions: dbav
I'm a fan of Lundquist, but that was bad. The worst is that I've been seeing Grayson attacked on social media for not shaking hands with the opposing team. For one, he did shake hands, he just wasn't thrilled being hugged by a guy who shot a 30-footer with the clock winding down and leading by 11.
Social media is a complete joke

You can thank Verne for that. I serve God for a living but after that I had some very bad thoughts about him. It was cheap and no call for it, Grayson did nothing wrong. He made a point to linger on it and then go back to it.

Typically all season if Brandon and Grayson both aren't superman we struggle and....

Also the discussion about the need to hit more than 8 3's well look at how bad we shot.

What did we hit....seven? And weren't three of them long after the game was in hand?
You're right........ all about percentages. Duke was shooting horrendous from 3. Flip side, Oregon shot great from the Field and 3, but terrible from FT line. Duke didn't win anything except FT percentage, and tied in turnovers. Duke didn't need to make 10 3's to win if they would have played good defense and rebounded. Honestly duke in a zone, K is telling the other team we don't want to play defense, hopefully you'll make a mistake or miss a wide open shot.

Duke has been getting out rebounded all season and doesn't turn teams over, bad combination on defense.

What did we hit....seven? And weren't three of them long after the game was in hand?

+ Oregon hit 10 3s. This particular iteration of Duke wasn't going to be an excellent team like Oregon by losing the battle from 3.

Entering the game, I thought Oregon was better and predicted that they'd take control in the second half. That more or less played out. With that said, I don't think we played well. Oregon was good in stretches; but gave us plenty of opportunities. We just made too many unforced errors, took bad shots, missed open shots, missed FTs --- and just didn't make timely plays when we needed them. Even towards the end, Oregon gave us a couple chances to put some game pressure on them -- and we just couldn't get the ball to go down. I thought Thornton & Kennard, particularly, were very bad last night.

With that said, I'm not too disappointed b/c I frankly don't think we were the better team; and don't think there's much chance at all that we could have even made it to the title game with OU, KU/Nova ahead of us. On to next year.

With that said, I'm not too disappointed b/c I frankly don't think we were the better team; and don't think there's much chance at all that we could have even made it to the title game with OU, KU/Nova ahead of us. On to next year.

I'm more bummed than disappointed. But like you said, I'm pretty convinced Oregon is better than us and that the three teams you listed are as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT