ADVERTISEMENT

***NCAA TOURNAMENT SWEET SIXTEEN - DUKE VS OREGON OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
After our back-to-back home losses to Syracuse and Notre Dame I'm not sure where I thought this team would be at the end of the year - especially as it looked increasingly more likely that Amile wasn't coming back.

This team has found a way, however. It's not always been pretty and it's not always conventional, but somehow Coach K has this team back in the Sweet Sixteen and oddly, I can see this team making an even deeper run into the tournament.

Similar to every game with this team, at this point in the season, tonight's game is going to come down to a few simple things. Do we hit shots? Do we rebound? Can we defend? Oregon isn't an offensive juggernaut but they are talented in the back court and have athletic, defensive-minded bigs.

If we come out and hit shots early, I think Duke can set the tone and win this game. For some reason, I feel really good about our chances...

Tonight's game is a late start - slated for a 10:07pm est tip but that's obviously approximate and will be entirely predicated off of the end of the Oklahoma/Texas A & M game that precedes it. It will air on TBS HD (247 for you Directv guys like me :))

Duke 77

Oregon 74

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke 80
Oregon 76

Initially I was going to go with Duke 82-76 but then I saw that dukiejay and DukeSky85 both had 76 for the score of the losing team and only had a 2 point gap in their score for the winning team I decided to take 2 points off the score for the winning team to keep the winning scores in order 79, 80 and 81 but like DukeSky85 I picked Duke to win. Watch the final score end up being 82-76 since I decided to not go with my original prediction. lol

Duke has it's work cut out for them, but I think our guys will find a way.

Duke 74
Oregon 73

Go Duke!

OFC

I woke up excited. I think we win and if we lose it'll be because they hit everything and blow us out(like AZ and Nova did before) but I think we're just a better team
Duke-82
Oregon-74

Dukies aren't ready to go home. Survive and Advance. I'm just excited as hell for this game

No matter the outcome, I'm proud of these guys and happy they made it this far. I'm really torn how to pick. Oregon looks really good but they play in a weak pac12, but they are deep at guard. Either way I Love Duke.

Oregon 88
Duke 79

Reactions: Dad2ze and dbav
I really want to be wrong....

Oregon 81
Duke 76

I'm with you. I think Duke will have a very difficult time guarding their athleticism, and Duke will be very reliant on jump shooting, which is a precarious thing. I'm proud as hell of this team, even if the ride ends here. But I'm still going to go with some wishful thinking on my prediction (my heart, not my head):
Duke - 83
Oregon - 80

Foul trouble has me most concerned...they can go five out and drive.

If we can play an effective zone I think we can win...but I think foul trouble does us in.

Oregon. 80
Duke. 73

Duke 81
Oregon 75

Game doesn't end till after 12:30 EST.

I don't really know much at all about Oregon. I know that they are athletic and have some very good scorers. But like K-ville said the only way we win is if we shoot well. and by well I mean really good. We cant come out of the gates slow. Because they are gonna hit us with everything they have to start I think. Just have to stick around. We have been here before, they haven't really. Doesn't look like they have won a ton of close games. Think if we can keep it close (within a basket or two) maybe the pressure can get to them.

This game will be close. I do however see Duke jumping out to a decent lead but won't be able to hold onto the lead like so many times this season, but in the end Duke wins a close one which is all that matters.

Duke- 85
Oregon- 81

Let's Go Duke!!!

I agree with many above.....we have to shoot well from outside. Luke needs to find his stroke. Matt needs to knock down a couple. Brandon and Grayson have to make a couple outside shots in the first half and then take it to the rim and convert from the foul line in the second half. Marshall has to be Marshall. DT needs to man up on defense.

I think it's game like the first UNC game. We have to hang around, and hang around, and hang around. Never get down by more than ten, and be within a couple possessions with under 5. When the horn sounds all the Oregon players, coaches and fans have that stunned look, and the announcers say over and over again; "Somehow Duke won this basketball game."

Duke 84
Oregon 80

Does anybody know what type of arena we will be playing in tonight? I know they normally get A LOT bigger and the depth perception starts becoming an issue for shooting teams... I remember last year just how hard it was in Houston? to hit jumpers in that arena even after they put up that weird black curtain. I think this could be a HUGE problem for us tonight. We go as our shooting goes unfortunately.

Oregon only plays 7 players more than 10 minutes. They have no one Plumlee's size. The closest is Boucher at 6' 10" and 200 pounds. After him it drops to two guys 6' 7" and 6' 8" around 220 pounds. I think Duke needs to establish Plumlee early and go inside to him and Jeeter. They need to not foul but make Oregon get into foul trouble inside. I don't think Oregon will be able to guard the perimeter and hold down the much bigger Plumlee if he can show he is going to be a force early on.

Duke 91
Oregon 78

( Closer game until the last 90 seconds when the fouling begins )

Does anybody know what type of arena we will be playing in tonight? I know they normally get A LOT bigger and the depth perception starts becoming an issue for shooting teams... I remember last year just how hard it was in Houston? to hit jumpers in that arena even after they put up that weird black curtain. I think this could be a HUGE problem for us tonight. We go as our shooting goes unfortunately.
We are not playing in a football dome. We are playing at the Honda Center, where the Anaheim Ducks play, pretty much an NBA arena.
The NCAA did away with all sweet 16/Elite8 matchups being held in giant domes, as it just looked awful on TV, and the shooting was bad. However, the Final 4 is still held in a giant dome, obviously.
Arena seats around 18,500. Depth perception here should be no issue at all.

Reactions: HuffyJB and vcugreg
We are not playing in a football dome. We are playing at the Honda Center, where the Anaheim Ducks play, pretty much an NBA arena.
The NCAA did away with all sweet 16/Elite8 matchups being held in giant domes, as it just looked awful on TV, and the shooting was bad. However, the Final 4 is still held in a giant dome, obviously.
Arena seats around 18,500. Depth perception here should be no issue at all.

THANK. GOD.

My faith in our shooting tonight just got renewed. I was worried that Luke would have an off night having never played in a football arena. Thanks!

End of the road I'm afraid. I'll settle for a N.C. , a sweet sixteen and then another N.C . ! I'll be pulling for 'em hard tonight though, GO DUKE !

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
They're going to attack the rim and we have to defend without fouling. If we do that and shoot well we have a chance, but at the end of the day I think their athleticism will be too much for us.

Oregon 85
Duke 75

I hope I'm wrong!

Just want a win. Don't care if it's by 1 point or 20 points....Luke has to be hot to take some of the pressure off Grayson and Ingram...and it sure would help if Thornton hit a few shot...I keep hoping every game he becomes an offensive threat but so far he hasn't....maybe tonight is the night.

And I don't care if the game don't end until 4:00am, I will be watching every last second of it...will pay for it tomorrow but I don't care....Survive and advance!

Such a close match-up but experience in tourney is on our side:

Duke - 66
Oregon - 64

While shooting is obviously something we're going to need to be successful, I'll be most interested to see how Grayson handles Oregon's length on the perimeter and when he drives. If there's one area where Grayson struggles it's against guys more athletic and longer than him. For his sake and Duke's, I hope he's able to get off to a quick start and can see the ball go in the basket a few times early. I worry about him going away from his game if he gets discouraged. If that happens then we don't have much of a chance.

Feed Brandon, Feed Brandon, Feed Brandon. I'm extremely comfortable with the ball in his hands (like sr scheyer comfort) Brandon can make ALL the plays, passing, creating for himself or others and has a knack for body control so he avoids offense of fouls.

If we're going down I want our biggest gun to be in hand in the end.

I can't see Duke losing yet, I have a really good feeling seeing how loose the boys are. This is a special group, enough talent to be dangerous and enough heart to be champions!!!!!!!

Reactions: jwill133
The only thing that scares me about Brandon is when he creates his own shot with a fade away jumper... Jordan style.. He seems to shoot a very low percentage on those.

I am more worried when Duke plays on short rest. I like our chances. Gary Trent Jr. picked Duke over Oregon, and I am right there with him!

Go Duke!

Reactions: Dad2ze
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT