ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Duke vs. North Carolina Moments

bullcity gamer

Cameron Crazy
Oct 15, 2017
I am sure this topic has been discussed many times in the past. We are less than a week away from Duke's first matchup with UNC for the season. Some of my favorite moments from this rivalry in Duke's favor of course are the following (note a lot of them are recent and pay no attention to the numbers, I don't rank them one better than the other): 1) 82-50 (Scheyer, Thomas, and Zoubek's Senior nights), a play that sticks to me in this game is MP1's Dunk I believe, and Singler is waving his arms up high in celebration after the dunk, also the heels went to the NIT to lose to Dayton while Duke brought home #4. 2) Austin "Sub-Zero" Rivers hits the game winner over Tyler Zeller at the Duke Dome after UNC was up 10 points with 5 minutes to go in the game. 3) 2016 (Matchup #1), Matt Jones gets hurt early in the game and does not return, Jefferson has been hurt for 2 months, Duke again comes back to win after Thornton's block on Berry @ the Duke Dome with Allen, MP3 (had 4 fouls for the last 10 minutes of the game), and 4 Freshmen (Ingram, Thornton, Jeter, and Kennard) playing the majority of the minutes. 4) 2017 ACC Semi-Final Comeback win (Duke looked dead in the water at halftime, only to comeback against the Heels again, 3rd straight win in the ACC Tournament). 5) Duke's domination of UNC in the 2011 ACC Tournament Championship (Kyrie Year), it was raining 3's. 6) 2011 (1st matchup of the series), Duke was down at halftime and then N-Dot Smitty and Seth Curry took over. These are some of my favorite Duke vs. UNC moments, if you notice a common theme in most of them it's the No Quit Attitude from the Blue Devils. What are yours?

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Wow. Lots of them.

Rivers shot is a big one. It’s a game I think most of us had conceded at the under four timeout. We had a few breaks go our way those last two minutes, as well.

The win in Cameron when J.J. and Shelden were juniors....2005, I believe. Demarcus Nelson really had his breakout game as a freshman, and J.J. locked up McCants on the final possession. (Later that season was heartbreak. We blew a nine-point lead the last three minutes at Dean Dome. Yuck.)

Wojo’s senior night in 1998. If you weren’t at least a little misty-eyed then I question anyone’s Duke fandom.

Pummeling the Heels in the 2001 ACC Tournament championship game. It wasn’t really something any of us expected, at the time. I mean, I thought we’d win, but not by nearly 30 points.

The 2011 ACC championship game. That’s how Nolan and Kyle’s ACC careers should have ended. I’ll never forget the smile Nolan had on his face when he came out of that game. Love me ‘The People’s Champion’ a whole lot.

Blowing the doors off UNC in the 1991 ACCT finals, as well. Christian was named MVP of the tournament, IIRC.

Lastly, 82-50.

dukiejay I agree with being a big fan of the "People's Champ", I met him in Indy in 2015 after Duke beat Michigan State in the Final Four and he was nothing but CLASS. Talk about a player who LOVES DUKE! He improved every single year! Him and Singler are my two favorite Duke players just because of their competitiveness alone.

The one that sticks out in my mind a lot was the 82-50 win. We were driving to Disney World that night. My kids and I first time ever. I had paid extra for data to watch the game. The feed froze halfway into the 1st half. I still had audio and was afraid to refresh because I’d lose signal. I finally lost all contact with 10:00 or so left in the game. The feed came back with less than 2:00 left. I was going nuts in the car. My wife, kids, and mother-in-law woke up to me screaming like a kid. Rocked my Duke gear the next day at Magic Kingdom!!!

1. 82-50
2. When Moron Doherty got into it with Chris Collins
3. Like some have said Thornton’s block on Berry to win the game(one of the better highlights of that season)
4. When UNC couldn’t get the final shot off in 2005 at Cameron
5. Last years ACC tournament game!
6. Who can forget Gerald Henderson hit on baby Hansbrough
7. Austin Rivers shot(however I never ever like mentioning this moment because I can’t forget the way that season ended, but it was an incredible shot to give Duke the prevailing victory over the holes.
8. Many more I could mention, but those have to be my favorite.

As an OFC have a special fondness for the regular season home finale in '68. Mike Lewis ( our star center) fouled out and we looked destined for certain loss. Enter seldom used reserve big man Freddy Lind who exploded for like 16 points in sparking us to an 87-86 win. Also the '69 game at home (Vic Bubas last year) when Steve Vandenberg went off vs the holes, and we won. It was still Duke Indoor Stadium then. Two yrs later guard Robbie West hit a jumper from the left elbow and we stopped UNC 76-74, the same day Eddie Cameron was honored and the building was renamed in his honor!

Finally how bout Robert Brickey's block of Jeff Lebo's shot in '88 at Chapel Hill! That preserved a K squad 70-69 win and was just one leg of a "Triple Crown" that year over the Heels.(That win over Carolina snapped a two decade long losing streak dating back to the 60s in Chapel Hill).Also Quinn Snyder hit two fts in the Greensboro Coliseum to beat UNC and clinch an ACC Tourney title, and we also whipped em in Durham same yr!

OFC

Every time we beat them and the margin of victory is never enough. Rivers shot is big not only because of the win but the dome crowds reaction going from we've got this one and the noise level at an all -time high at the dome to total silence. The 82-80 was so sweet. They couldn't even blame the refs for that one. OFC

I agree with all the above, any win is nice. To me the best one in quite a while was the 16 game in Chapel Hill. They were better, we were a hobbled, shorthanded team that had no business winning. I just sat there knowing we were going to lose, we were supposed to lose. Allen and Ingram were special that game. Winning that game was so, so sweet. Roy and his team folded like a cheap suit. The look on the fans faces were priceless. Probably many a sweater vests got thrown away that night.

As an OFC have a special fondness for the regular season home finale in '68. Mike Lewis ( our star center) fouled out and we looked destined for certain loss. Enter seldom used reserve big man Freddy Lind who exploded for like 16 points in sparking us to an 87-86 win. Also the '69 game at home (Vic Bubas last year) when Steve Vandenberg went off vs the holes, and we won. It was still Duke Indoor Stadium then. Two yrs later guard Robbie West hit a jumper from the left elbow and we stopped UNC 76-74, the same day Eddie Cameron was honored and the building was renamed in his honor!

Finally how bout Robert Brickey's block of Jeff Lebo's shot in '88 at Chapel Hill! That preserved a K squad 70-69 win and was just one leg of a "Triple Crown" that year over the Heels.(That win over Carolina snapped a two decade long losing streak dating back to the 60s in Chapel Hill).Also Quinn Snyder hit two fts in the Greensboro Coliseum to beat UNC and clinch an ACC Tourney title, and we also whipped em in Durham same yr!

OFC
Was gonna mention this one

Every time we beat them and the margin of victory is never enough. Rivers shot is big not only because of the win but the dome crowds reaction going from we've got this one and the noise level at an all -time high at the dome to total silence. The 82-80 was so sweet. They couldn't even blame the refs for that one. OFC
I had a friend at that game who is a Heels fan. He said when he hit that shot you could feel every bit of energy and oxygen leave the room. He said it was pretty awesome to watch the entire dome go quiet and you could hear a mouse fart.

OFC
hart2chesson, you beat me to it. 1968 game my all time favorite UNC game. Fred Lind changed his career in a big way that game and became a major contributor afterwards. It was amazing as I thought we were doomed when Lewis fouled out. Man, I loved Vic Bubas!

hart2chesson, you beat me to it. 1968 game my all time favorite UNC game. Fred Lind changed his career in a big way that game and became a major contributor afterwards. It was amazing as I thought we were doomed when Lewis fouled out. Man, I loved Vic Bubas!

tate12 you're on money! Vic retired way too early!!!! You are also correct about Lind- he started after Big Mike graduated.

OFC

Reactions: tate12
Blowing the doors off UNC in the 1991 ACCT finals, as well.
'92. They whupped us in the '91 ACCT final.

Every game in the OP ranks at least an Honorable Mention for me (and only one of those). Add Wojo's Senior Day and the first 3 games of the Roy Era.

Oldie but goodie...
'84 ACCT semis. They had Jordan, Perkins, B Daugherty, and Kenny Smith. A senior Matt Doherty was pretty good, too. They'd gone undefeated in the ACC regular season, including a double OT thriller against us on their Senior Night less than a week earlier. I think they still entered the NCAAT ranked #1 despite the ACCT loss to us. This was K's first NCAAT team.

I had a friend at that game who is a Heels fan. He said when he hit that shot you could feel every bit of energy and oxygen leave the room. He said it was pretty awesome to watch the entire dome go quiet and you could hear a mouse fart.

I heard a mouse fart. NM it was me . I got so excited. OFC

Lot of great memories here.

There are so many, but the 82-50 was so fun because I don't think I've ever seen a UNC team forced to look so inept. There are probably more wtf plays by UNC in that than any game I can remember.

And the other game is the Rivers dagger. I personally like this one so much because it was the most fun I've had on this forum after that game. Everyone was posting like crazy, and I started photoshopping pics after posters making suggestions up until about 5 o'clock in the morning. Then I got about 3 hours rest and came back on here and started up again. The camaraderie was through the roof, and I'll never forget that game for that more than anything. Plus of course, the THR meltdown! Great times.

OFC

My top 5 in no order

Sub Zero at the buzzer, Duhon reverse layup, 82-50, 2015 comeback, and “there not gonna get a shot off!”

Honorable Mention: Hanstravel’s decapitated nose

Wow. Lots of them.

Rivers shot is a big one. It’s a game I think most of us had conceded at the under four timeout. We had a few breaks go our way those last two minutes, as well.

The win in Cameron when J.J. and Shelden were juniors....2005, I believe. Demarcus Nelson really had his breakout game as a freshman, and J.J. locked up McCants on the final possession. (Later that season was heartbreak. We blew a nine-point lead the last three minutes at Dean Dome. Yuck.)

Wojo’s senior night in 1998. If you weren’t at least a little misty-eyed then I question anyone’s Duke fandom.

Pummeling the Heels in the 2001 ACC Tournament championship game. It wasn’t really something any of us expected, at the time. I mean, I thought we’d win, but not by nearly 30 points.

The 2011 ACC championship game. That’s how Nolan and Kyle’s ACC careers should have ended. I’ll never forget the smile Nolan had on his face when he came out of that game. Love me ‘The People’s Champion’ a whole lot.

Blowing the doors off UNC in the 1991 ACCT finals, as well. Christian was named MVP of the tournament, IIRC.

Lastly, 82-50.
I’m with you on the last one. I enjoyed that ACC championship game more than any, man Dean Smith was one that I loved to hate, much like UNCheat fans are today about Coach K. I still remember Grant Hill on an open court dunk and the announcers using the “Superman” analogy on the play

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT