ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS PORTLAND STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

He was talking bad about the refs moms cooking. Specifically, that she's misguided, because she prefers pumpkin pie, over sweet potato pie.

I still can't get over North completely losing his mind after the first half he had. He saw how things were going and found a way out. You don't see that in college ball very often.
I’m guessing he has family issues. The guy looked unstable, worse than when Grayson freaked out at himself last year. Yet, will we see national uproar and non stop ESPN coverage?

Reactions: Jnood
We were pretty bad today. I never really thought we were in jeopardy to lose, though. It’s one of the things I like about this team. We can do multiple things poorly, but we’re good enough in other areas to still win.

Now to the obvious.....we’re not a great shooting team, and when you have both Grayson and Gary struggling a bit like they are now, well, then we’re a bad shooting team. As for free throws....ugh. That’s our biggest weakness, IMO. We can get by not being a great shooting team, but free throws is another story. Close games are part of basketball, and unless Grayson or Gary are at the line, I feel no better than 50-50.

The coach doesn't seem to help his ability to have normal human reactions to things. It sounds like the guy has played at 47 different schools, and it doesn't appear to be due to basketball ability. The coach just acted like swinging on a guy after a tie up, and getting a T at the scorer table, is just par for the course. I was a bit confused as to why after 2 T's he wasn't ushered to the locker room? Instead, he looked like he was going to fight an assistant on the bench and yapped awhile longer. I guess coaching young men is hard, but unfortunately his just re enforced bad behavior, instead of having a role model to help him with something that will probably end up getting him in trouble when he gets into the real world.

I’m guessing he has family issues. The guy looked unstable, worse than when Grayson freaked out at himself last year. Yet, will we see national uproar and non stop ESPN coverage?
I'm sure somehow it will be reported that Allen instigated it.

Happy to emerge with the win, but that was not a good showing by us.

Giving PRST all the credit in the world for playing a chaotic tempo and shooting lights out in the first half. However, if we are going all the way, we can't be sweating it out that late against a team that was picked to be a preseason #8 in a Mid-Major conference.

All of that having been said, hope everyone had a great holiday !!

We were pretty bad today. I never really thought we were in jeopardy to lose, though. It’s one of the things I like about this team. We can do multiple things poorly, but we’re good enough in other areas to still win.

Now to the obvious.....we’re not a great shooting team, and when you have both Grayson and Gary struggling a bit like they are now, well, then we’re a bad shooting team. As for free throws....ugh. That’s our biggest weakness, IMO. We can get by not being a great shooting team, but free throws is another story. Close games are part of basketball, and unless Grayson or Gary are at the line, I feel no better than 50-50.

While I agree we have limited shooters, especially with G and Trent off, we are so loaded in the front court we can still put up 99 points. Another shout out to Alex who continues to prove people wrong.

My biggest concern is the defense. We are long and athletic enough where open shots should not be a consistent thing. That is where the most progress needs to be made between now and March. We’ll score come March, id bet my life on it. But can we limit the amount of good looks given and turn people over enough to limit the possibility of running into that team on that night in the tournament.

Alex will be getting more minutes as the season progresses. He just knows where to be on the court offensive and defense.

He is a major reason Portland St. lost last night. Duke couldn't contain him; he had a great first half.

Also, I'm a Grayson supporter... But c'mon, Grayson's episode last year was ten times worse than North's.

.... Would still love to know what he said on the sideline tho.

Duke needs to realize they have to bring their A game every night and they will realize that as the season progresses. They are young and we as fans have to accept the fact that they are capable of playing some games like last night. So long as it is out of their system come March.

I'm still trying to figure out how that guy stayed in the game after throwing a punch. I thought that was an automatic ejection, even if it doesn't land.

Grayson's episode last year was more intense, but not necessarily worse. Grayson's outburst was directed at himself, not the refs. When it was over, it was over. The PSU kid had forever to calm down and he continued his nonsense well after the moment was over. And, it was directed at the refs.

I also think it is little different when you over react to guys cheap shotting you/your team mates all game long vs. over reacting to the refs nailing you/your team mates for cheap shotting the other team. Just saying.

Grayson's episode last year was more intense, but not necessarily worse. Grayson's outburst was directed at himself, not the refs. When it was over, it was over. The PSU kid had forever to calm down and he continued his nonsense well after the moment was over. And, it was directed at the refs.

I also think it is little different when you over react to guys cheap shotting you/your team mates all game long vs. over reacting to the refs nailing you/your team mates for cheap shotting the other team. Just saying.
Thanks for saving me the typing. This was my take too. Grayson’s looked worse out of context and because of his history, but North was straight blaming others for no reason.

Reactions: Showenuff
This game gave me all kinds of Mercer and Lehigh flashbacks.

Re: Bagley

"Of course, we all knew that if he decided to reclassify, he was going to pick Puke, since they were the only school who could get him eligible before January, but, I can now understand the other reason. At Puke, he gets every call. He can manhandle someone on the defensive end and Bilas calls it "being physical". He gets brushed on the offensive end, and he is going to the line. Although he is a very poor foul shooter, the preferential treatment by the officiating crew still gets under my skin. It has to be worth 12-15 pts a game. Is it any wonder why kids are starting to pick them over UK? They get away with so much over there, and at UK you get screwed by the likes of Higgins."

1 Ben101er, Today at 10:20 AM

You might be able to see me in my Equality shirt during the game. We're three rows back from the court (across from the Portland St bench right now).

Reactions: PHXDukie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT