ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS LOUISVILLE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I have followed Duke for fifty years and it seems we always have a stretch that we lose some games that we feel should have won. The last two games teams have had inside players to matchup with Carey and they have also double teamed and trapped him like tonight. Once the team makes adjustments we will be better in the long run. One big concern is Hurts defense inside and out. I would also add Louisville and Florida state are good and well coached. Former Wake coach Gaudio is a assistant at Louisville.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on why we didn’t full court press more in the latter parts of the game? It was super disruptive early in the first half then we got away from it. I thought it was very effective.
I think it’s an interesting question. We did the same thing against Clemson when it seemed to be very effective there as well. Maybe guys were getting tired? Probably hard to keep up that pressure for long stretches without all 10 guys rotating in and out.

We're in that normal January funk that we always go through. It happens every year and most of you get emotional EVERY YEAR. It's going to be ok. Our freshmen are our primary scorers and around this time they seem to hit a wall every year. A hand few just run straight through the wall like RJ, Zion, Marvin and Tatum. This year Vernon has hit the wall. The physicality of conference play has knocked him back a little bit. When we are really buzzing it is him that's playing at a high level. The last 5 or so games he has struggled. He's going to make adjustments and take off again.

Cassius is starting to settle down and be more aggressive with the ball. This is good because when Moore gets back that will be another person we can have to put the ball in his hands to make a play. Cassius is looking like the best player on the team at this point.

For all of you saying Tre isn't an NBA player, you make it obvious that you just don't understand what you're watching. NO PLAYER will shut down every guy he guards. Tre has to do a lot offensively and that takes away some of his defense. He's still an elite defender. When he gets to the NBA he can go back to focusing on being an elite defender and playmaker. Look at Pat Bev. Tre may actually be bigger than him. Pat learned how to be respectable shooting over the years. The guy has been starting in the NBA for years while lacking a reliable jumper and athleticism. He plays his role at an elite level and play hard. That's exactly who Tre will be in the league BUT Tre has better playmaking skills.

Tonight we dug a big hole by not being strong with the ball early on. They got a lot of runouts on us. Our PnR coverage was terrible in the first half as well. It was much better in the second. Louisville had it on their mind today and came out full throttle. That's just how it is sometimes. We will bounce back and win about 7 in a row and people will say we are a top team. It happens EVERY year. I'm not worried at all

As most have said, Tre has to be better. He is our leader. He has been really bad at keeping the ball in front of him. Goldwire is doing a much better job defensively than him. One issue we have is our better defenders are not good scorers. When we have Tre, Jordan, Stanley, Jack, and Javin on the court, we only have 2 guys that can create their own shot.
The other problem we run into this time of the year are adjustments. Teams now have a scouting report on our team, and are better prepared for us now. It’s up to the staff, but more so the kids, to make adjustments to how they get played.
I like this team, but they need to do something that the no team of ours has done since 2015, and that’s improve from where we are now to March.

As most have said, Tre has to be better. He is our leader. He has been really bad at keeping the ball in front of him. Goldwire is doing a much better job defensively than him. One issue we have is our better defenders are not good scorers. When we have Tre, Jordan, Stanley, Jack, and Javin on the court, we only have 2 guys that can create their own shot.
The other problem we run into this time of the year are adjustments. Teams now have a scouting report on our team, and are better prepared for us now. It’s up to the staff, but more so the kids, to make adjustments to how they get played.
I like this team, but they need to do something that the no team of ours has done since 2015, and that’s improve from where we are now to March.
Bingo! We hit this wall in January where we become predictable. We make a few adjustments then rattle of a nice win streak. It’s on repeat every year

I have followed Duke for fifty years and it seems we always have a stretch that we lose some games that we feel should have won. The last two games teams have had inside players to matchup with Carey and they have also double teamed and trapped him like tonight. Once the team makes adjustments we will be better in the long run. One big concern is Hurts defense inside and out. I would also add Louisville and Florida state are good and well coached. Former Wake coach Gaudio is a assistant at Louisville.

Good point. OFC

My initial guess is that the press is best with certain lineups....and perhaps K felt his best chance to win was with those guys on the floor. I’ve been asking myself the same question.

I gotta say, I know, different team, different year, different circumstances, but early in the second half when we ran that 1-2-2 press it felt exactly the same as it did last year in the 23 point comeback. UL was panicked, made some bad turnovers, and it lead to transition points. And then we stopped after 4 possessions. Oh well, I am sure there was a reason. Just perplexing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT