ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS GEORGIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Ok am I the only one that was saying those things at that time? Not sure why I’m the only one being called out? It’s fine I will still be a Duke fan I just don’t need to keep paying money to this site. Have a great night everyone

Ok am I the only one that was saying those things at that time? Not sure why I’m the only one being called out? It’s fine I will still be a Duke fan I just don’t need to keep paying money to this site. Have a great night everyone
Relax man, you will be ok, just keep the trash comments out and you probably be just fine. I was welcomed here with open arms. But to think you can use the words you did and not take a hit, I don't know what to tell you. I've learned it's some sharp, diehard Duke fellows over here, which I love after being over on the preium board, but I don't make crazy comments about the team either. I would say you lucky some of the heavy hitters didn't catch your post or comment on it. I give you credit you did say it was wrong to use trash and I get it. Also this is not a payed site.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I'll just echo what @retiredsoldier said. You should just give today's game a few days to cool off, come back and try to not be so negative. (that can be hard to do in gameday threads, so maybe take those off). Some really well liked posters on here have been hammered for making outrageous statements before. If you don't double (and triple) down, and just move on and come back a few days later, most here will just move on too.
Except for @OldasdirtDevil - that guy is insufferable ;)

I'll just echo what @retiredsoldier said. You should just give today's game a few days to cool off, come back and try to not be so negative. (that can be hard to do in gameday threads, so maybe take those off). Some really well liked posters on here have been hammered for making outrageous statements before. If you don't double (and triple) down, and just move on and come back a few days later, most here will just move on too.
Except for @OldasdirtDevil - that guy is insufferable ;)
See you guys keep me cracking up over here. This board keeps you off balance for sure, but always gives you something to crack up about.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
You don’t need anyone’s permission to be you. Keep bleeding Duke blue my friend

Reactions: dukecorey
Give it a rest all. Not time to panic

1. Dog days of January

2. What an emotional roller coaster. 2 weeks ago, Cam hits the biggest shot of his life. Then two nights later, the best defender in the country goes down with what seems like a significant injury, Cam does not play, and it still takes the best shot of Syracuse and one of the worst shooting performances, and Duke still should have won. Then an emotional night against Virginia, to the worst games K hates coaching (In 5-point play after 2001, K said he hates coaching against former players and it is a big emotional toll). When is the emotional let down going to come?

3. If the halves are reversed, we are not nearly as gloom and doom. Remember, we only won by 15 at Pitt and were outscored in the second half.

If I had my choice of lights out shooting and mediocre defense or top-notch defense and mediocre shooting, I will take this.

4. Pack it in all you want, but this is not Louisville 2015. Duke can make you pay. If Duke has shown it can beat the arguably the best other team in the country making 2 threes, woah boy. Sag off Zion, he will get to the rim. Do you really trust AOC, Jack White, and RJ Barrett if you leave them open? And Tre just has to be a threat to make jumpers, which he has shown he can do.

Give it a rest, been a wild two weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shatterthesky22
Despite not shooting well, Cam is playing so well in other facets. Good lord if his shot ever falls again. He’s been a monster on the boards as of late.
You’re right. I’ve been impressed with his defense despit the fact he doesn’t shoot well in some games

Despite not shooting well, Cam is playing so well in other facets. Good lord if his shot ever falls again. He’s been a monster on the boards as of late.
One thing Cam has does is provide an easy out for guys dribbling to the hoop that run out of room. Tre and RJ can just toss the ball up high to Cam and he goes up and gets it no problem. Having a 6’9 guard has built in advantages. I think he can be our Corey Brewer, shrinking the court on defense and opening it up on offense.

I am willing to bet the 3 point slump will go away. Jack is struggling but he will find it, the same with Cam. When we start shooting around 35 percent from 3 look out.

Slump? Doesn't the word "slump" imply that we are in a period of negative results which was preceded by a period of positive results? When was the period of positive results?
Yes, we show well as a group in the KY game. And in a few games after that. But rarely in consecutive games. And I think that will continue. There will be games where we shoot OK from 3. Or even well. I don't think we'll string together multiple games of positive results from 3. If we can hit around 30% from 3, we'll have to call that a good shooting day. And that would have been considered disastrous shooting in recent years. Better shooting than that doomed us last year.
I mean, it is a different team, so it is all relative.
But......Slump? Really?

Slump? Doesn't the word "slump" imply that we are in a period of negative results which was preceded by a period of positive results? When was the period of positive results?
Yes, we show well as a group in the KY game. And in a few games after that. But rarely in consecutive games. And I think that will continue. There will be games where we shoot OK from 3. Or even well. I don't think we'll string together multiple games of positive results from 3. If we can hit around 30% from 3, we'll have to call that a good shooting day. And that would have been considered disastrous shooting in recent years. Better shooting than that doomed us last year.
But......Slump? Really?
This team’s offense operates in a way we’re not used to as Duke fans. The years where we complained about living and dying by the 3 are not this year. Duke could take five 3s an entire game and still win by double digits.

I love it, it’s not me bahaha .... I understand the venting, just not with this team.... #Relax

But......Slump? Really?
Why you have to dig so deep into a word? You know what he meant:rolleyes:

This team’s offense operates in a way we’re not used to as Duke fans. The years where we complained about living and dying by the 3 are not this year. Duke could take five 3s an entire game and still win by double digits.

I hope we would actually.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's not worth it to scan this thread start to finish. I stayed off intentionally during the game because we started worse than usual... Don't get me wrong, I was just as frustrated as the next guy in those first 25 minutes. Youth will do that to you in ACC play. Playing a ho-hum noon game vs GT doesn't build much excitement for any ACC team. That said, we need to bring more consistent energy on offense. Too much standing around waiting for RJ and Zion to create.

I expected some hiccups getting used to playing with Tre again. We certainly saw some. Some silly turnovers. Obviously the outside shooting is almost incomprehensible. Never seen a Duke team have multiple good shooters go cold for weeks (Jack, Cam, RJ, Alex-not many minutes). We NEED to improve there. Our FT's are improving which is nice. The defense is great! We start a little sloppy but always adjust and lock-down for good stretches. Defense is this year's backbone -- Which is much different(in a good way) than the last few years.

Media everywhere saying we are getting exposed? I'll take an 13 point ACC win, after trailing by 8 in the second. Again, playing with Tre again is a big change from just throwing the ball to RJ and Zion every play. IMO we are fine.

One good thing is I predicted we would win by 13. I should have bought a lottery ticket.

Disagree on all counts. We will live and die by the three in the games that matter. We can't win taking only 5 shots. We simply have to make around 30% of our threes vs good teams away from CIS. AKA post season tournaments.
The Zone stymied our offense in two games vs really, really mediocre teams. That Cuse team got dog walked by VT last night. GT is not a tournament team. UVA's D gave us problems, but they couldn't throw it in the ocean. If they'd had a bad shooting night, as opposed to a disastrous shooting night, they win. If they shoot near their season average, they'd have pounded us. Yes, yes, sans Tre. Last night, having Tre vs a mediocre Zone didn't exactly solve the problem. Going forward might be different, but it might not.
Shooting 30% from three isn't good. 33% is the bare minimum for "acceptable." Anything above 35% starts to venture into the realm of "good" shooting. We won't get there, but we have to get to "less awful" from the perimeter. If not, we'll see opposing team tighten the noose around the paint.
I do not look forward to the sweet 16 game, or the FF game, vs a talented opponent that has had a week to install and practice a zone.

Disagree on all counts. We will live and die by the three in the games that matter. We can't win taking only 5 shots. We simply have to make around 30% of our threes vs good teams away from CIS. AKA post season tournaments.
The Zone stymied our offense in two games vs really, really mediocre teams. That Cuse team got dog walked by VT last night. GT is not a tournament team. UVA's D gave us problems, but they couldn't throw it in the ocean. If they'd had a bad shooting night, as opposed to a disastrous shooting night, they win. If they shoot near their season average, they'd have pounded us. Yes, yes, sans Tre. Last night, having Tre vs a mediocre Zone didn't exactly solve the problem. Going forward might be different, but it might not.
Shooting 30% from three isn't good. 33% is the bare minimum for "acceptable." Anything above 35% starts to venture into the realm of "good" shooting. We won't get there, but we have to get to "less awful" from the perimeter. If not, we'll see opposing team tighten the noose around the paint.
I do not look forward to the sweet 16 game, or the FF game, vs a talented opponent that has had a week to install and practice a zone.
Look, I understand your worries about us shooting but, here's the thing man, if we can get the ball into the holes in the zone, inside the 3 point arc (which we did yesterday in the last 14 minutes) we'll be fine. We might be a bad shooting team but, that's okay, you know why? Because we take it away as well. We only shoot 30% from 3 on the season but guess what? Our opponents shoot worse. We've played some really damn good teams this year and aside from Gonzaga shooting out of their minds for 30 minutes and literally everything going wrong against Cuse (No Cam, No Tre, 9-43 from 3 which was a huge aberration even for this squad) We've beat em. Our shooting will get better(it can't get worse) and with as good as this squad already is, they'll become even more un****withable. Enjoy this season man, we've got a special team that loves and believes in each other and wants to cut down the nets worse than we want them to!

Edit:Wrong thread

Last edited:
UVA's D gave us problems, but they couldn't throw it in the ocean. If they'd had a bad shooting night, as opposed to a disastrous shooting night, they win. If they shoot near their season average, they'd have pounded us.

Hahahaha you really are something else. Saying it over and over doesn’t make it any more true.

In Cam’s defense, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 steals and a block is a nice contribution.
Yeah if you're Jack White, not a top 5 NBA pick. I'm not shitting on the kid, I want him to get it going as much as anyone but he shot 9% from the field yesterday... That's not good.

How many threes did we shoot in the second half against UVA? I am not sur e we took a single one. And we won. Playing our game we won. Playing tough D. Taking it to the rack. We won.

With how today’s game is built (NCAA&NBA) with teams jacking up all time amount of 3s we have it drilled in our heads you have to hit so many 3s or a certain percentage to win games, which is bullshit.

Our offense will take care of itself and our D is what IS going to win us the title. Hitting a high amount of 3s for this team is a luxury and combined with our current offensive efficiency will spell doom for any team we play. Some games we will stroke it. Some we won’t but we are going to kick mucho ass regardless.

#Chillandenjoytheridehonkeys

We can very much win against any team in the country without the 3 ball. We have enough guys on our team who have the ability to make a 3 and have a desire to shoot a 3 that we will never go fully without it, and we don’t need to. But by limiting the amount of 3’s we take we are not lowering our chances of beating the best of the best, that is flat out wrong. We have 2 of the best drivers of the basketball in the country. Both have a great ability to draw contact and finish through contact. Our best possession involves RJ or Zion attacking the glass. That doesn’t need to be our only offense, but that should be the core of our offense as it’s our best strength.

UVA couldn't stop Zion and RJ from getting to the basket if they packed it in so far the rim was up their ass. Is Greenberg posting here?

Duke won that game w/o Jones and completely in the half court, which is a stark contrast from the transition game they've played all year. UVA is not capable of playing a different style and once Duke got a two bucket lead under 5 the game was over.

No reason to discredit that win at all.

Reactions: chov1125

How much can you really tell with one game back for Tre? We had to be a totally different team for three games without him. I did not expect for him to be back out there and everything work like he was never gone. Cause you know, the 2010-2011 team looked so fluid the second Kyrie Irving stepped on the court...

Reactions: skysdad
How much can you really tell with one game back for Tre? We had to be a totally different team for three games without him. I did not expect for him to be back out there and everything work like he was never gone. Cause you know, the 2010-2011 team looked so fluid the second Kyrie Irving stepped on the court...

Good post. I've been thinking pretty much the same thing. It's gonna take a game or two for him to get back 100%. Maybe that's why Coach K went ahead and played him against G.T. That's gonna give him 4 full games against teams we should beat ( but no guarantees ) before going up to UVA and we know we are going to need everything we got and then some to win there. It may take a UK effort like game to win . My biggest worry right now is another significant injury. Fingers are crossed. OFC

I’ve said this in other threads and I’ll say it again here. Syracuse’s zone did not cause us problems. Zion and RJ scored at will from the
middle of the zone. We ran out of gas at the end due to missing two players so we started taking bad threes because they were easy to get. We did not lose that game because of our offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT