ADVERTISEMENT

Story on Trevor Keels/final scholarship

Brust ended up being a decent 3 point shooter. In high school he played inside. My freshman year of high school we had 2 nationally ranked teams in our league. Brust's school and Amityville, who had Shelton Jones, a McDonalds AA who also played for St. John's. Our coach played stall ball against Amityville and Amityville won like 18 to 12. I think Jones was mad because it messed with his scoring average.
Who was the 'Amityville Horror ' who claimed to be Michael Jordan's cousin? He said it too often and had to admit that he made it up. Perhaps Malik Sealy? Maybe Shelton Jones. I don't remember.

Reactions: christophero
The Amityville Horror was Jones' nickname. The same town as the book and movie. People from there say it was bs. Jones won the NBA slam dunk contest one year but mostly played overseas. Malik Sealy played for Tolentine in the Bronx. Amityville is on Long Island.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Brust ended up being a decent 3 point shooter. In high school he played inside. My freshman year of high school we had 2 nationally ranked teams in our league. Brust's school and Amityville, who had Shelton Jones, a McDonalds AA who also played for St. John's. Our coach played stall ball against Amityville and Amityville won like 18 to 12. I think Jones was mad because it messed with his scoring average.
He should have been upset. You don't stall when you have an All American.

The Amityville Horror was Jones' nickname. The same town as the book and movie. People from there says it was bs. Jones won the NBA slam dunk contest one year but mostly played overseas. Malik Sealy played for Tolentine in the Bronx. Amityville is on Long Island.
Thanks for the insight. I figured that you were a Hollywood producer since you cheered for UCLA. I used to cheer wildly for Chris Mullin against Georgetown

Yes. Brian Reese of unc played for Tolentine. I played against him a few times. He was nice enough but didn't seem talented enough to play for North Carolina. He started for the 1993 national champions so I must be wrong

St John's always seems to play their best game against Duke. My uncle played baseball for St. John's when he was 27 and working a regular job. Back when people could keep a secret

He's probably just waiting for Keels to make it official.
I remember a month ago when people were discussing the possibility of Keels and Moore both back. That seems like a long long time ago.

Last edited:
I suspect that Green will opt for Duke. I Googled and see that he already played for his dad, Kyle, at Northern Iowa. His dad was an assistant at Northern Iowa for 17 years before going to Iowa State
The dreaded ged (I LOVE UNC) HOPE HE GOES TO ISU JINX!!! Oh noooooo..... OFC

If Keels comes back then more definitely should because most mocks now have Keels going before Moore.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Looks like far from a lock that Keels goes NBA. Has some real issues at this point according to that article. OFC
Yeah I agree DI, if Keels takes a realistic look, he stays. He's teetering on falling out of the top 30.

I just feel like Keels is so enamored with the NBA he will ultimately opt pro this year.

OFC

True Shey, but Wendell has already crossed that bridge to the NBA officially hasn't he????

OFC
He signed with an NCAA approved agent but I don’t expect either back . I think they will be good role players in the league .

It would be far from a lock if Keels didn't go to Duke. If he is looking for reasons to come back he has them. If he is looking for reasons to stay in he has them.

Reactions: skysdad
If Keels comes back then more definitely should because most mocks now have Keels going before Moore.
Keels has a lot of room to improve with one more year at Duke. Wendell just had his big leap in improvement. He's not going to noticeably increase his draft stock with one more year at Duke. No way. But Keels has a good chance of doing just that.

Keels has a lot of room to improve with one more year at Duke. Wendell just had his big leap in improvement. He's not going to noticeably increase his draft stock with one more year at Duke. No way. But Keels has a good chance of doing just that.
The only thing Keels can really improve on is his consistency and athleticism. Both can also kill his draft stock if he comes back and doesn’t improve in those areas. Both he can also do in the league . People forget . A player can sign a league contract and the team sends them to the gleague so they can get playing experience instead of riding the bench .

Reactions: JimboSlice00
I hear Mayer is a LOCK for UNC!!

OFC
Mayer is my favorite non-UNC player of the last decade. I would draft him in the first round. I don't know what I'm missing. He's 6'9", fast and a good defender.

I've never seen Green play. Not even highlights. I'm sure that Duke will sign a good transfer. Probably Green. Hopefully not Mayer

I don't see much playing time available at UNC, but you make room for a player as good as Mayer

Puff would probably transfer too. He is finally in line for some major minutes and keeps getting recruited over. It would be two years in a row they took a transfer to fill his spot in the starting rotation.

Puff would probably transfer too. He is finally in line for some major minutes and keeps getting recruited over. It would be two years in a row they took a transfer to fill his spot in the starting rotation.
Dontrez Styles (6' 6" sf,) is going to clamor for PT at some point. Had some flashes of good play. Hit a huge 3 in Baylor game if I recall.....Hmmm.. Sounds like Hubert has plenty to keep happy. OFC

Reactions: dukecorey
Yeah if they get Mayer or Nance, not sure why Puff Johnson or D Styles would stay. Puff will be a Junior and already wasted his first two seasons. I’m sure he came to play more than his Senior season. D Styles had to be thinking transfer after barely playing this past season. He was a highly ranked recruit. I think they will have to decide if they want Mayer or Nance for one season or retain their current players.

Yeah if they get Mayer or Nance, not sure why Puff Johnson or D Styles would stay. Puff will be a Junior and already wasted his first two seasons. I’m sure he came to play more than his Senior season. D Styles had to be thinking transfer after barely playing this past season. He was a highly ranked recruit. I think they will have to decide if they want Mayer or Nance for one season or retain their current players.
Well thought out, solid post DC! Agree wholeheartedly!!! Puff would have to feel like he's getting screwed over, and Styles definitely has ability.

I really do not think Hubert cares who he steps on (see Kerwin Walton, well not anymore-he got the heck outta there). Of course I lost all respect for Hubert when K wasn't acknowledged at the Nose Dome, and the "F Coach K" chant wasn't stopped. Yeah they beat us twice, but they refuse to acknowledge K pissed in their corn flakes his last time there.

OFC

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I agree with this as well, but we do have to remember that Puff actually has three more seasons, because of the Covid extra year.

So, perhaps Puff is thinking that he has plenty of time.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
He's not thinking this, after filling in so admirably for Manek in the title game. He wants to START, if he has any drive at all.

OFC
I don't disagree, but if he gets recruited over and doesn't transfer, than that would make me think he doesn't have that drive...or is at least willing to wait.

I don't disagree, but if he gets recruited over and doesn't transfer, than that would make me think he doesn't have that drive...or is at least willing to wait.
Odds are Puff would depart if he's recruited over. The sibling rivalry usually kicks in. Cam made his own imprint on the program.I think Puff probably wants to make his own mark somewhere.

Reactions: dukecorey
Odds are Puff would depart if he's recruited over. The sibling rivalry usually kicks in. Cam made his own imprint on the program.I think Puff probably wants to make his own mark somewhere.

I know that’s what you guys wish, but it’s not reality. Both Puff & Dontrez love Carolina & aren’t going anywhere. They know they have to earn their time & aren’t promised anything. I know it’s hard to understand when you have a revolving door at your own university. Some kids love the college experience, the TRUE family atmosphere that lasts generations, not semesters (maybe I shouldn’t have used plural there). I’d also bet they are content with their NIL money at UNC than what they’d get at another school. Lots of factors in play other than getting to the Association as fast as possible. If anyone should’ve left it was DiMarco Dunn but he loves it too & is sticking around for at least 1 more year.

I know that’s what you guys wish, but it’s not reality. Both Puff & Dontrez love Carolina & aren’t going anywhere. They know they have to earn their time & aren’t promised anything. I know it’s hard to understand when you have a revolving door at your own university. Some kids love the college experience, the TRUE family atmosphere that lasts generations, not semesters (maybe I shouldn’t have used plural there). I’d also bet they are content with their NIL money at UNC than what they’d get at another school. Lots of factors in play other than getting to the Association as fast as possible. If anyone should’ve left it was DiMarco Dunn but he loves it too & is sticking around for at least 1 more year.
Even if they don’t start, there’s plenty of playing time to go around! Hubert played basically 6 to 7 last year..starters played 35 plus minutes…that’s not sustainable and he doesn’t wanna have to play that way! It just happened to workout that way! Styles and Puff had moments but we’re not fully ready to play 20 plus a game! Puff can play the 2-4, styles the 3-4! They will probably be the first 2 off the bench and play major minutes! I think we will play 9 or 10 at times next! Just like mentioned above these kids love UNC and Hubert! He’s the ultimate players coach! The only one I worry about transferring is Dunn and I think he will get solid minutes some games next year! Unc and Duke have 2 totally different ways of recruiting, playing time etc…we aren’t getting 5 to 6 top ten players every year! It helps with kids staying in a program

Keep telling yourself that. All kids want to play and when you get recruited over year after year they will go elsewhere. Look at Walton & Harris, they saw the writing on the wall. I think Davis will run with the starting 5 majority of the time and why wouldn’t he that gives you the best chance to win. I think both Puff and Styles are looking for major minutes next year and they were thinking no one in front of them at the 4 spot. If you add anyone else of immediate impact it definitely cuts into their minutes big time. Don’t think they stay for 10 minutes again even if they love UNC as you stated. These players believe they have a future in basketball and were fairly high recruits to sit on the bench much of their first two or three seasons. Maybe they are there for the education.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT