ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

bleediteveryday30

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 24, 2013
Here's the yearly thread of who's staying or leaving. I saw last night Ryan Young officially announced his return for next season. Glad to have the old man YMCA game back for one more year. Roach is graduating and moving on. Lively and Dariq are 100% gone. I think we keep Jaden, Reeves, and Blakes. Or at least I hope they don't transfer. Grandison, Kale Catchings, and Max Johns will all graduate and move on. Our walk-ons will be Spencer Hubbard and Stanley Borden. I assume Mark is at 20/80, Proctor 50/50, and Flip 70/30. There's a lot of chatter out there that we keep two of the three freshmen, though. So, who would that be? Could we keep all three? Will one of Jaden, Reeves, and Blakes transfer? I assume we will know it all fairly quickly. The word is after Keels last year, Jon and his staff will no longer be waiting to find out on the last day. So, as bad as we didn't want the season to end, here we are, and we're faced with the yearly reminder of how quickly a roster can change.

What I notice is many on the board remain more optimistic than the reality. We 'hear rumbles keels is coming back' but it often is far less than board predictions.

The flipside to that is maybe Rachel & the shift to NIL could bring back a player or two if they're fringe. A guy like Mitchell, maybe.

I think Flip, Lively, Proctor, and Whitehead are all gone.

Proctor returning would be awesome. But i don't think he reclassified just to do a second year in college

Reactions: youngman42
What I notice is many on the board remain more optimistic than the reality. We 'hear rumbles keels is coming back' but it often is far less than board predictions.

The flipside to that is maybe Rachel & the shift to NIL could bring back a player or two if they're fringe. A guy like Mitchell, maybe.

I think Flip, Lively, Proctor, and Whitehead are all gone.

Proctor returning would be awesome. But i don't think he reclassified just to do a second year in college
I really don't think it's a foregone conclusion that we lose Flip and Proctor.

Reactions: pisgah101
I'm sure Roach will bounce. That's kinda what players do now-a-days. Change in scenery like Remmy Martin or w/e.

Is this definite? He's a junior. Which doesn't mean he can't graduate early, but he has 2 years of eligibility left.

I assume he's getting decent NIL (anybody know?) so why be in a hurry to leave?
Jesus, where have you been? I haven't seen you on here much this year. From what I gather, Roach made it clear to the staff the before the year that this would be his last season at Duke. Anything could change, but I think he's gone based on what I have read and heard.

Yea, I think also that 2 or 3 come back. I think it was a good year for Duke. Next year could be better if some of these guys come back. I don't think that it will take long for us to know.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Yea, I think also that 2 or 3 come back. I think it was a good year for Duke. Next year could be better if some of these guys come back. I don't think that it will take long for us to know.
It won't be like in the past; we will know sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 9dukejames
It's easy to imagine Flip, Lively, Proctor and Whitehead getting drafted - probably in the first round, some maybe even lottery.

That's not to say they couldn't use another year or 2 in the lower pressure semipros that the college game has become.

Is the NIL good enough to defuse the money side of the equation?

Do they like their coach, their teammates, their school enough to want to stick around?

I confess to being pretty ignorant about NIL but I'm pretty sure all those guys should be getting much more than they would make in the G League. Is that wrong?

Point being, if they are getting the development at Duke that the NBA wants them to get, and if they are getting good enough NIL, and they like being here, it's easy to see them staying another year.

Leaving one big question: If they stay, how does next year's class fit in? Drilling down, would any of them ask out of their letters of intent if they see their PT evaporate? If they all come, will there be chemistry problems?

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Jesus, where have you been? I haven't seen you on here much this year. From what I gather, Roach made it clear to the staff the before the year that this would be his last season at Duke. Anything could change, but I think he's gone based on what I have read and heard.
Ah, didn't know that.

I've been suffering though the dismal UNC season. Watching more Duke than usual, and liking this team. Wouldn't mind seeing most of these guys return.

It's easy to imagine Flip, Lively, Proctor and Whitehead getting drafted - probably in the first round, some maybe even lottery.

That's not to say they couldn't use another year or 2 in the lower pressure semipros that the college game has become.

Is the NIL good enough to defuse the money side of the equation?

Do they like their coach, their teammates, their school enough to want to stick around?

I confess to being pretty ignorant about NIL but I'm pretty sure all those guys should be getting much more than they would make in the G League. Is that wrong?

Point being, if they are getting the development at Duke that the NBA wants them to get, and if they are getting good enough NIL, and they like being here, it's easy to see them staying another year.

Leaving one big question: If they stay, how does next year's class fit in? Drilling down, would any of them ask out of their letters of intent if they see their PT evaporate? If they all come, will there be chemistry problems?
I would love to figure out the chemistry problems if Proctor, Mark, and Flip return, though! That's a good problem to have!

I've seen this song and dance as a fan with these 5 star kids to get fooled again. I'd say all the freshman are gone. Proctor would be such an alpha if he came back for his Sophomore year though. My goodness

Reactions: hart2chesson
I've seen this song and dance as a fan with these 5 star kids to get fooled again. I'd say all the freshman are gone. Proctor would be such an alpha if he came back for his Sophomore year though. My goodness
Jim, I think we actually get a few of these guys back this time.

Reactions: 9dukejames
You can't lose your entire team except one guy and be a final four team. You need some continuity. Jon did a great job, but as I've said Keels leaving was the tipping point. Shey said we were a first weekend team and he was right. Bleed too I think.

Proctor should be a Senior in HS....so next year would be truly his freshman year if he didnt reclassify..does the know the incoming freshman well? Could be a factor...plus he needs to hit the weights if he's going to be playing against grown men ( see yesterdays game)

You can't lose your entire team except one guy and be a final four team. You need some continuity. Jon did a great job, but as I've said Keels leaving was the tipping point. Shey said we were a first weekend team and he was right. Bleed too I think.
My ceiling for this team was a split with holes, a top 4 ACC finish, a deep run in the ACC, and Sweet Sixteen all year. If Mark played yesterday, we might have reached that and then some with Purdue going down. I still think we exceeded expectations for this season. Jon has us headed in the right direction. This is a slow, steady race, not sprinting out of the gate. Now, the focus is bringing some of these guys back with the NIL.

I really hope man....i really do. Can you blame me though for not believing it till I see it? Lol

Totally agree. My hope is we have the NIL fully figured out and prepared to get flip, proctor, Mitchell very very good money to come back. I don’t think we had it fully understood last year or we coulda presented more to keels. Also heard this week the great shooter we targeted in the portal that went to creighton asked for 600,000 in NIL and we said no.. I think that was a mistake we could have benefited from a great 3 point shooter.

Yeah you would think Duke nil would be stronger, it doesn’t seem like much

For sure i think
Flip and lively are gone, although I saw flip being projected at the 2nd round?
Roach may go and be a steward, but I don’t think he leaves the program for somewhere new. He’s just not an nba player. For his height he’s not quick enough

Mitchell should stay, don’t know why he would leave. Don’t really see him on any draft boards

Proctor should also stay but he’ll probably go. He’s not ready for the nba and imo you don’t really develop as much on the bench in the nba. I’d rather do one more year of college than 2 years in the g league

All that said unless you’re a lotto pick you shouldn’t leave. Too many dukies have left become second rounders and struggled at the next level. This idea that you HAVE TO LEAVE, is absolutely stupid .other schools have sophomores and juniors get drafted high, the same can happen at Duke. Just wish players understood that.

I don't know if i agree. It's easy to say- come back to duke, improve your stock and you'll have a better long term career.

But the majority of guys that come back are just delaying the inevitable. They might as well move on professionally and try to make money for an extra year. (Now with the NIL, maybe that'll change tho.)

Flip's stock likely drops if he comes back. That's the reality. It's an entire extra year to pick him apart. He's a good player but if he's first round, he should bounce. He averaged 16 & 9 as a freshman.

Of course, there's a few examples of improving your draft stock by returning. (mark will comes to mind)
But there's also a lot of examples of making your draft stock worse by returning. Which is why so few players do.

You only have a limited amount of time to make money as a professional basketball player. A lot of players just want to get that started, even if it means they don't make the NBA. cuz the odds of them making it doesn't exponentially improve if they stay at duke, despite what we all want to believe

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
For every Mark Williams, there are 5-10 guys who come back and their draft stock plummets. Caleb Love could have been a late 1st early 2nd last draft and now UNC doesn’t even want him.

Lively, Flip, and Whitehead are gone. Everything else is just a guess until some actual news comes back. I bet we get just Mitchell back, would love to be wrong and get Proctor back too. Mitchell and Proctor is best case scenario IMO.

I dont follow the NBA or the G league...for those that do....how often does a player that plays 2-3 seasons on the bench with limited mins blossom into a consistent starter? Steward has been in the G league for 2 seasons and averaging 13pts a game i think...that doesnt seem like he will make the jump to the NBA anytime soon....there are probably more examples of that...so does going to the pros even when you are clearly not ready pay off long term or is it just the initial money?

I’ve said it before, it’s a blessing and a curse being a Duke fan. It seems like if Roach was at any other school, there would be no doubt he would stay for his senior season. And Mitchell, Proctor, and possibly Flip, would return too.

But, I’m not going to hold my breath expecting it.

Mitchell, Proctor, Reeves, Jaden, Young and Blakes come back. 5 recruits come in to reload the team. Duke needs to go after a Big in the transfer portal.

I’ve said it before, it’s a blessing and a curse being a Duke fan. It seems like if Roach was at any other school, there would be no doubt he would stay for his senior season. And Mitchell, Proctor, and possibly Flip, would return too.

But, I’m not going to hold my breath expecting it.
When you reload every year, you push somebody out. It's a harsh reality.

I think the Blakes injury held him back this year. But I'd take a second year of Proctor over a third year of Blakes if we're choosing.
If Proctor was to come back, blakes is gone. JADEN is a weird guess because to he is the only traditional SG on the roster next year. McCain is 6'2 PG, Foster is a PG, Blakes is a PG. Proctor is a combo, but proved to be better with the ball in his hands, but I still think he's gone

Flip, Proctor, Lively and Whitehead are gone. I would be shocked if any of them returned though I believe Whitehead and Lively could certainly benefit from another year in school.
Roach is gone.
And I would be surprised if Mitchell returns.
I would also NOT be surprised if Jaden transfers.
Oh well…

Proctor is at 50/50 . He could go but next years draft is weaker at the guard spot .
McCain is a combo guard no where near a true pg as I’d Foster although Foster is more of the pg type in the mold of Proctor.
Blakes isn’t transferring. I think he will give Duke at least another year before making that decision and Jon is high on him . Where does Schutt go . He’s shown small glimpses of his talent much like Reeves but their time comes next year .
Flip, Lively and Whitehead all gone . Mitchell may return . He has a lot to work on . Young coming back is big for all the pf’s coming in .
I also think we find out in the next two weeks who’s all leaving .

Reactions: christophero
I know there's about a one in gazillion chances of this happening but what if everyone decides to come back next year except Roach.. Lively, Whitehead, Procter, Flip, Young , Mitchell and everyone else including Blakes, Reeves and Schutt. Will we have enough scholly's . Thirteen right? Well I just listed thirteen. Two over. Would we have a couple of red shirts? If by chance this did happen who would have to red shirt or we looking at transfers or decommitts from class of '23. Really reaching but it wold benefit all of our freshman to stay another year. As of now none of them are high on any mock drafts. Yep it's a stupid post but just something that would be awesome or would it. Dke can't force anyone to declare. OFC

I know there's about a one in gazillion chances of this happening but what if everyone decides to come back next year except Roach.. Lively, Whitehead, Procter, Flip, Young , Mitchell and everyone else including Blakes, Reeves and Schutt. Will we have enough scholly's . Thirteen right? Well I just listed thirteen. Two over. Would we have a couple of red shirts? If by chance this did happen who would have to red shirt or we looking at transfers or decommitts from class of '23. Really reaching but it wold benefit all of our freshman to stay another year. As of now none of them are high on any mock drafts. Yep it's a stupid post but just something that would be awesome or would it. Dke can't force anyone to declare. OFC

That is what message boards are for. We can dream on here, we can talk about the impossible until one day, the impossible happens. It always does eventually. Anyway, that kind of team would have a lot of pressure because expectations would be 40-0. I am not even sure I could enjoy the ride lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT