ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

It’s a mutual decision.. it works out best for duke and him to not come next year. A ball dominate player would not be able to flourish in what Jon has built for next year.. not after the returns.
This. I know we do not have much to do but speculate, but why can’t we say it is the best for all involved (like I believe the Whitehead situation was) and leave it at that. Was it really questionable academics? Who cares? Would he have been a chemistry issue if he came? Whatever! It is a win-win for both him and Duke.

I think people wanting to come back and then someone unexpectedly comes back so Duke allows a crowded position player to bolt makes Duke look really good. On one hand it does look like the easy way out for someone to say “I do not want to compete for a starters position”, but like mentioned earlier, if he truly has his heart set on one and done, there is virtually no chance for him to win a starting spot in 35-40 games.

This. I know we do not have much to do but speculate, but why can’t we say it is the best for all involved (like I believe the Whitehead situation was) and leave it at that. Was it really questionable academics? Who cares? Would he have been a chemistry issue if he came? Whatever! It is a win-win for both him and Duke.

I think people wanting to come back and then someone unexpectedly comes back so Duke allows a crowded position player to bolt makes Duke look really good. On one hand it does look like the easy way out for someone to say “I do not want to compete for a starters position”, but like mentioned earlier, if he truly has his heart set on one and done, there is virtually no chance for him to win a starting spot in 35-40 games.
Chemistry and winning is what's important.

I don’t believe that rumor for a second.
It's not a rumor. It's fact. There's a chance the kid will skip college ball all together. Sure the timing seems bizarre given Flip staying, but Mgbako's grades just haven't come up to be admitted this spring.

If he opts for college I would suspect a Louisville, Memphis or UNC to nab him. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
If grades were the issue, he's already signed to UNCheat because we all know he won't attend a single class there.

All in all, there absolutely no doubt a trade of the national freshman of the year over this kid is a wonderful trade. Hell yeah Flip!

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Apologies to the ones I offended about Mgbako's academics keeping him out of Duke. This was thoroughly checked out and I strive for the utmost integrity on information I write here. This goes back to the basic principles I learned as a former journalist. My detractors can have at it.

OFC

Apologies to the ones I offended about Mgbako's academics keeping him out of Duke. This was thoroughly checked out and I strive for the utmost integrity on information I write here. This goes back to the basic principles I learned as a former journalist. My detractors can have at it.

OFC
Hart- you're always the man!

OFC
I don’t think you offended anyone, I saw the same thing but I’m not buying it- and I’m not saying he’s a scholar athlete. My point is, it’s awfully convenient to now say it was grades. He had already been accepted, he had already signed his NLI, we had to grant his release, not the other way around. Now if it comes out that they did it that way just to make it look amicable then I’ll gladly say I was wrong. But we’ve certainly been lenient on “grades” with a multitude of star players, like all other top tier programs outside of maybe two. So I certainly could be wrong, it just seems like a sour grapes excuse now to have that come out, on the day he decommits, the same day Flip announces his return. That’s just my take on that report.

I don’t think you offended anyone, I saw the same thing but I’m not buying it- and I’m not saying he’s a scholar athlete. My point is, it’s awfully convenient to now say it was grades. He had already been accepted, he had already signed his NLI, we had to grant his release, not the other way around. Now if it comes out that they did it that way just to make it look amicable then I’ll gladly say I was wrong. But we’ve certainly been lenient on “grades” with a multitude of star players, like all other top tier programs outside of maybe two. So I certainly could be wrong, it just seems like a sour grapes excuse now to have that come out, on the day he decommits, the same day Flip announces his return. That’s just my take on that report.
This saved me a lot of time.

I can totally understand your position. No harm, no foul, we can simply agree to disagree. In fact, my intent really was to report the Duke information emanating from the school. Bottom line I can understand your "sour grapes" theory per the TIMING of the Flip announcement.

We ARE TOTALLY on the same page when it comes to us being "lenient on grades with a multitude of star players." There's still one we rushed thru the academic process one summer about five or six years ago. Now he was a Game Changer, but I can't say he belonged at Duke.

Peace brother! #GoDuke

Mgbako was also one of the last ones to sign his LOI . Wasn’t he ?
It was a good move for both sides . Would have liked to have him on this team but glad with what Duke has.
I have also read about academics being an issue but it didn’t come from the staff or the University.
A friend of mine mentioned that he thought should Flip return we see Mgbako de- commit due to the make up of the roster . He gets some guesses right lol.
I’d look for Louisville to be in the mix though .

Like… this just strikes me as being more than a bit desperate to justify something that obviously sucks for Duke. We all wanted our cake and to eat it too. We wanted both guys to come in, share minutes and have that Duke kumbaya moment, with everything for the good of the team. Those days are gone. Today, actions have consequences. Both Flip and Mgbako want to play the 4. Why? That’s where they both see themselves at the next level. Combined with Mitchell returning, Mgbako could conceivably be coming off the bench. And, that’s why he’s gone. Ockham’s Razor. He wouldn’t have been able to showcase his talents as effectively as he would like.

Honestly? I think we dodged a bullet. Not in academics but in terms of chemistry. That’s far more important than individual talent. In 2015, we had it. We haven’t really had that feel since, even with all of the talent. Even with Zion’s team, didn’t it feel like something was… off?

I think Krzyzewski got a bit caught up in Calipari’s arms race of burger boys, caring about fielding the most talent on the floor, at the cost of having a team identity. I’m hoping Scheyer learned the bad lessons as well as the good.
Can’t see this Mckago is a three in NBA

Reactions: hart2chesson
According to DBR sources from the team banquet Blakes and Schutt are back. :) One could leave if Roach stays in the draft I imagine.

I think you meant the other way around, if Roach comes back. If Schutt works on his strength and his handle he'll play next year with that shot of his.
We want very little changes to the roster outside of Lively, Whitehead and those whose eligibility is exhausted. Compete hard in practice, and dismantle the competition on gameday.

Last edited:
Don't know where else to post this.

Saw on yahoo sports they had a projection for the 2024 NBA draft - first round only. Fair number of Duke guys listed.

Proctor at 6
Flip at 10

That would be huge steps up for both guys compared to where they were expected to go this year

They have Mgbako at 20. Still bummed he left, but certainly understand the decision. Bronny James at 24. That's kinda nuts. His stock has SOARED lately

McCain at 26.

Don't know where else to post this.

Saw on yahoo sports they had a projection for the 2024 NBA draft - first round only. Fair number of Duke guys listed.

Proctor at 6
Flip at 10

That would be huge steps up for both guys compared to where they were expected to go this year

They have Mgbako at 20. Still bummed he left, but certainly understand the decision. Bronny James at 24. That's kinda nuts. His stock has SOARED lately

McCain at 26.
Good info 99. Would be great
for Proctor/Flip. McCain at 26 is intriguing too. I am really hoping he develops into the outside sniper we need at the 2.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT