ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

Playing coy is certainly one way to get people talking. I just don’t see a world in which he returns. I think we all suspect that, as he refines his game and develops more muscle mass, he’ll be more enticing to the NBA. But, that’s a lot to risk. You’re one injury away from losing what you have. It’s a classic bird-in-the-hand scenario.

Back to playing coy. If anything, if you’re going to make the jump, rip the Band-Aid off. Don’t keep us in suspense… unless, you plan to deliver good news. Then again, good news is up to interpretation. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I hope he stays. While Roach might have grown all he can at Duke, I think Filipowski has a bit of growing left at Duke. But, I’m a realist. I know what I’d do.

Good takes on this and roach but flip will be back

Reactions: Fourteen44
Duke men’s basketball official twitter-

“mock drafts 🥹🤩😶🫡📛📐”

Flip will be back. Question is what does Roach do. I personally don’t see him transferring anywhere if he decides to return to college. But Laettner makes good points and remember the plan for him coming into this year was always that this would be his last. He’s on track to graduate early and I don’t believe anyone truly knows (including him) what he will do after going through the process. There are some new two way player offerings that he may look at and say those are enough to warrant going pro. Who knows.

Reactions: wcu1113
Duke has 2 Scholarships available at the moment if Flip comes back it’s down to one. No room for Roach and a transfer center. Only other options for Roach to come back and get a transfer is for either Blakes or Schutt to leave.

Flip comes back

Holmes leaves the draft and comes to Duke

Roach gets a dose of reality with regards to his professional aspirations

He looks at this stacked Duke team

Proctor
Foster
Mitchell
Flip
Holmes

MgBako
McCain
Stewart
Young

Lots of pub as preseason #1, NIL, an opportunity for a National Championship.

He decides to return for the ride of his life, an epic senior night vs UNC

Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Flip
Holmes

MgBako
Foster
McCain
Stewart
Young

Blakes, Schutt, and Reeves transfer

Duke goes 40-0 and Roach leaves Duke a National Champion, three time ACC champion, and part of the historic undefeated season.

Not sure what Roach will wind up doing, but man, if he decides to come back and Flip does what most are saying, on paper this is one stacked team.
Duke could have more 5 stars sitting the bench than many teams have on their entire roster.

I hope Jon majored in psychology in college, because unless something has changed with the mentality of a 5 star, he’s gonna have his hands full massaging egos.

Not sure what Roach will wind up doing, but man, if he decides to come back and Flip does what most are saying, on paper this is one stacked team.
Duke could have more 5 stars sitting the bench than many teams have on their entire roster.

I hope Jon majored in psychology in college, because unless something has changed with the mentality of a 5 star, he’s gonna have his hands full massaging egos.
Then those that need their ego’s massaged should go elsewhere. Its throwback time, where you have to prove it. If you are good enough, you will play.

Flip comes back

Holmes leaves the draft and comes to Duke

Roach gets a dose of reality with regards to his professional aspirations

He looks at this stacked Duke team

Proctor
Foster
Mitchell
Flip
Holmes

MgBako
McCain
Stewart
Young

Lots of pub as preseason #1, NIL, an opportunity for a National Championship.

He decides to return for the ride of his life, an epic senior night vs UNC

Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Flip
Holmes

MgBako
Foster
McCain
Stewart
Young

Blakes, Schutt, and Reeves transfer

Duke goes 40-0 and Roach leaves Duke a National Champion, three time ACC champion, and part of the historic undefeated season.
That’s… optimistic. It’s almost Kentucky fan level. Well… preseason-level Kentucky fan. Before the pessimism sets in. Which somehow again turns to optimism, before crashing back down into reality.

Roach making a post with the brotherhood forever sign doesn't scream "I'm coming back to school."
Chris I agree. The Brotherhood mention could have waited until his official exit. It's a not so subtle sign to me Jeremy is headed for the door as a Duke player. I am thankful for the three years he gave us. I am approaching it like this anyway.

I also truly believe Young, Flip and Proctor provide necessary leadership. We're still pretty stacked at the guard position.

OFC

Reactions: christophero
Frankly, I think the situation with Mgbako pulling back may work to our advantage PER YOUR SCENARIO Mac. Your point is VERY WELL TAKEN. I also think Jeremy is waving bye, because I am not certain he would get as many minutes next year. We'll see how it goes.

It's funny you mention about Jon majoring in psychology, because coaches need to apply it in today's egocentric culture. Hubert Davis found out the hard way this year, in the situation involving Love/Davis. There were problems within the program.

OFC

No one wants to admit this reality.

Frankly, I think the situation with Mgbako pulling back may work to our advantage PER YOUR SCENARIO Mac. Your point is VERY WELL TAKEN. I also think Jeremy is waving bye, because I am not certain he would get as many minutes next year. We'll see how it goes.

It's funny you mention about Jon majoring in psychology, because coaches need to apply it in today's egocentric culture. Hubert Davis found out the hard way this year, in the situation involving Love/Davis. There were problems within the program.

OFC
Davis never got the 'Core' to understand the 'Goal'!

As of right now, the coaching staff, trainers and team need to be one page. Nothing else matters except the SHIP! Adding whatever piece to this puzzle needs to be strategic.

I mean… maybe? That seems awfully convenient. A bit too easy, perhaps? I don’t know.
Very good timing???? Let's see where he ends up? Princeton, UCLA, Temple, St. Johns, UNC, Tuskegee, Morehouse, Alabama, Texas, USC, MIT, University of Chicago, etc...:rolleyes:

I don’t believe that rumor for a second.
Like… this just strikes me as being more than a bit desperate to justify something that obviously sucks for Duke. We all wanted our cake and to eat it too. We wanted both guys to come in, share minutes and have that Duke kumbaya moment, with everything for the good of the team. Those days are gone. Today, actions have consequences. Both Flip and Mgbako want to play the 4. Why? That’s where they both see themselves at the next level. Combined with Mitchell returning, Mgbako could conceivably be coming off the bench. And, that’s why he’s gone. Ockham’s Razor. He wouldn’t have been able to showcase his talents as effectively as he would like.

Honestly? I think we dodged a bullet. Not in academics but in terms of chemistry. That’s far more important than individual talent. In 2015, we had it. We haven’t really had that feel since, even with all of the talent. Even with Zion’s team, didn’t it feel like something was… off?

I think Krzyzewski got a bit caught up in Calipari’s arms race of burger boys, caring about fielding the most talent on the floor, at the cost of having a team identity. I’m hoping Scheyer learned the bad lessons as well as the good.

Reactions: Mac9192
Very good timing???? Let's see where he ends up? Princeton, UCLA, Temple, St. Johns, UNC, Tuskegee, Morehouse, Alabama, Texas, USC, MIT, University of Chicago, etc...:rolleyes:
Respectfully, what? This kid wants to go to the NBA. Period. He was never coming to Duke to get an education. Just like many, many others who have played for Duke.

Personally, I don’t know what his academics are like. I’m guessing you don’t either. It seems like sour grapes to say anything other than, “I wish you the best of luck.” Even if academics were a factor, it’s Busch League to make that accusation.

Respectfully, what? This kid wants to go to the NBA. Period. He was never coming to Duke to get an education. Just like many, many others who have played for Duke.

Personally, I don’t know what his academics are like. I’m guessing you don’t either. It seems like sour grapes to say anything other than, “I wish you the best of luck.” Even if academics were a factor, it’s Busch League to make that accusation.
I agree it’s sour grapes. What I don’t quite understand is that if everyone (outside of Christophero) knew Flip was returning, and Mitchell announced weeks ago he was returning, why did he wait so long? Not that it matters I guess, but that’s the only question I had, because he clearly knew what the roster would be. It’s a tough blow bc he would be great on this team, but likely he wouldn’t have started so it’s hard for me to blame him.

This is not accusations. This is about a kid, like you said, attempting to go PLAY. His ambition is the NBA. It does not matter where he goes. What school gives him the best opportunity to showcase his talents. As far as academics are concerned, it's a mood point. The opportunity to be a STUDENT is and will be available at all the schools I mentioned and more.

Bottom-line... Flip came back! He was going to lose playing time if everyone was healthy.

This is not accusations. This is about a kid, like you said, attempting to go PLAY. His ambition is the NBA. It does not matter where he goes. What school gives him the best opportunity to showcase his talents. As far as academics are concerned, it's a mood point. The opportunity to be a STUDENT is and will be available at all the schools I mentioned and more.

Bottom-line... Flip came back! He was going to lose playing time if everyone was healthy.
Fair.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT