ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

Have we ever had a guy who is solidly in the first round return? We've had some second rounders return, but I can't think of anyone since Singler or Mason Plumlee. Flip back would be incredible, but I will believe it when I see it. Maybe he has a good NIL deal.
I think Grayson Allen was a first rounder after his sophomore season?

Reactions: christophero
Have we ever had a guy who is solidly in the first round return? We've had some second rounders return, but I can't think of anyone since Singler or Mason Plumlee. Flip back would be incredible, but I will believe it when I see it. Maybe he has a good NIL deal.
Maybe too, it would start to chip away some of the image Duke is a sure fire OAD stop for 5 stars.

OFC

Reactions: christophero
Mark Williams likely would have gone late in the 2021 first round had he opted to go after his freshman season. Remember how well he played in the ACC Tournament that year.

Obviously, he improved his stock by returning.

Williams was also a very good student from a family that values education. By staying a second year he improved his path to getting a degree down the line.

My point is we've never had a guy rated as high as Flip (teens) come back. At least not in a while. This would signal a change.

Reactions: hart2chesson
My point is we've never had a guy rated as high as Flip (teens) come back. At least not in a while. This would signal a change.
Maybe. But Williams was pretty raw and could have gone in the second.
NBA teams use first-round picks on raw players all the time, if that player is an athletic 7-1 rim-protector with potential oozing out the wazoo.

NBA teams have the resources to develop raw.

Filipowski coming back would be great for next year's team but I don't think it would be a paradigm changer. When a presumptive top-10 pick comes back, when a presumptive top-five pick comes back and they cite NIL as a big reason for coming back, that's a paradigm shift.

Reactions: jamsession3
NBA teams use first-round picks on raw players all the time, if that player is an athletic 7-1 rim-protector with potential oozing out the wazoo.

Filipowski coming back would be great for next year's team but I don't think it would be a paradigm changer. When a presumptive top-10 pick comes back, when a presumptive top-five pick comes back and they cite NIL as a big reason for coming back, that's a paradigm shift.
Good Analysis Jim, but I'm thinking the landscape of how the NBA Scouts talent may be changing because of the NIL. The NIL is also influencing the high school kid. I wonder will we be able to really determine raw talent moving forward.

Err, I think it's important to note that not all raw players have the same potential or athleticism as a 7-1 rim-protector.

As for Filipowski, while his return would certainly be a positive for the team next year, I'm not sure it would be a paradigm changer 'cause success often relies on how well the players work together...

Now - I wanna ask, do you think the recent changes in NIL regulations will have a significant impact on college basketball recruiting?

Reactions: jamsession3
Err, I think it's important to note that not all raw players have the same potential or athleticism as a 7-1 rim-protector.

As for Filipowski, while his return would certainly be a positive for the team next year, I'm not sure it would be a paradigm changer 'cause success often relies on how well the players work together...

Now - I wanna ask, do you think the recent changes in NIL regulations will have a significant impact on college basketball recruiting?
Absolutely...

I was in Marshall's and saw the 8th man on a top tier, power 5 conference basketball team. This kid is getting paid...and he's the 8th man. Kids are going to stay in college.

In theory, NIL should impact player retention but not recruiting since using NIL to recruit is illegal.

Yes, folks, I'll be here all week. I do weddings and bar mitzvahs.

Seriously, NIL, the transfer portal, the dominance of football in conference re-alignment, the irrelevance of the NCAA as an arbiter, the maturation of the G-League, well I don't pretend to have any idea what college basketball will look like in five years. I think there's a non-zero chance we'll just start paying players openly and above board, with implications I can't begin to fathom. Salary cap? Player's union? CBA? Optional classroom attendance?

It's a brave new world, folks.

I was in Marshall's and saw the 8th man on a top tier, power 5 conference basketball team. This kid is getting paid...and he's the 8th man. Kids are going to stay in college.
If he's shopping at the Marshall's I am thinking of he's not making that much money.

I would love Roach to come back. But I dont think he will. Thank you for helping us reach a final four and staying 3 years. With Proctor back he will likely move on. Getting 3 years out of a 5 star is pretty good. Best of luck to him. He will not be drafted but this has been his plan. At least he left the option open. Maybe he wants to play overseas, but I can't imagine the money is that good.

Last edited:
I expect him back.. he’s not going to hear anything good in the draft process. Probably getting feedback to see what he needs to do with overseas being possible.. that’s a total guess on my part
I agree. Get feedback, go through the process. See what’s out there for you. At the end of the day the money and exposure here may just win out.

Filipowski posted on twitter-

Darn did I miss the time window again? Guess we gotta wait til tmr

I expect him back.. he’s not going to hear anything good in the draft process. Probably getting feedback to see what he needs to do with overseas being possible.. that’s a total guess on my part

Respectfully, I think his years at Duke are behind him. I could be wrong here — I’m often wrong — but, there was something in the wording that makes me think that, while he might come back to college, it’s not necessarily going to be at Duke.

This letter seemed like a farewell to Duke, if not a farewell to the possibility of playing again in college. And honestly, I think he might be smart to transfer to another school, where he could run the point. Because, in the NBA, that’s going to be his position. Somewhere, where he can be a true standout and really showcase his talents while solidifying those point guard chops.

If he comes back? I’ll be happy. Don’t get me wrong. But, I don’t want to be selfish as a fan. It’s going to be crowded. And, Proctor is likely going to be the starting point. Roach’s minutes will likely diminish… barring something I’m not seeing.

I'd love Roach back, but not a big blow if he doesn't come back as our backcourt is just fine. All I care about is Flip as he holds the keys to so much potential success for us next year.

Respectfully, I think his years at Duke are behind him. I could be wrong here — I’m often wrong — but, there was something in the wording that makes me think that, while he might come back to college, it’s not necessarily going to be at Duke.

This letter seemed like a farewell to Duke, if not a farewell to the possibility of playing again in college. And honestly, I think he might be smart to transfer to another school, where he could run the point. Because, in the NBA, that’s going to be his position. Somewhere, where he can be a true standout and really showcase his talents while solidifying those point guard chops.

If he comes back? I’ll be happy. Don’t get me wrong. But, I don’t want to be selfish as a fan. It’s going to be crowded. And, Proctor is likely going to be the starting point. Roach’s minutes will likely diminish… barring something I’m not seeing.
I don't think anyone will disagree with this, however in order for Roach to transfer to another school, he would also have to put his name in the transfer portal, which I don't think he has done. So, unless he puts his name in the portal, it's either NBA, overseas or Duke.

Well said

Reactions: TheLaettnerStomp

Playing coy is certainly one way to get people talking. I just don’t see a world in which he returns. I think we all suspect that, as he refines his game and develops more muscle mass, he’ll be more enticing to the NBA. But, that’s a lot to risk. You’re one injury away from losing what you have. It’s a classic bird-in-the-hand scenario.

Back to playing coy. If anything, if you’re going to make the jump, rip the Band-Aid off. Don’t keep us in suspense… unless, you plan to deliver good news. Then again, good news is up to interpretation. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I hope he stays. While Roach might have grown all he can at Duke, I think Filipowski has a bit of growing left at Duke. But, I’m a realist. I know what I’d do.

I don't think anyone will disagree with this, however in order for Roach to transfer to another school, he would also have to put his name in the transfer portal, which I don't think he has done. So, unless he puts his name in the portal, it's either NBA, overseas or Duke.
Absolutely true. We’ll know soon enough either way.

Yeah man...I mean this has to mean he's coming back, right? I've been very skeptical about him returning as I would have given that possibility 20% at best a month ago, even though many seem very confident he comes back. After a tweet like that, I think he showed his hand, or it will be the ultimate internal Duke troll job ever.

Is the portal an option? Because Roach will probably be told he needs to improve his pg skils, which he cannot do with Proctor there.

Last edited:
Yeah man...I mean this has to mean he's coming back, right? I've been very skeptical about him returning as I would have given that possibility 20% at best a month ago, even though many seem very confident he comes back. After a tweet like that, I think he showed his hand, or it will be the ultimate internal Duke troll job ever.

Yep if he’s leaving after this tweet it would be a super troll job

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT