ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Playoffs Thread

I agree Patrick Yates in that I think Tatum has cemented his stay with the C's. Danny Ainge is no dummy and he made it a point to trade the #1 pick in the 2017 draft because he was really big on Tatum. In regards to Kyrie and Heyward being worried, I don't think they have anything to worry about. Irving and Heyward are Superstars and will be starters once they return. The players whose time on court reduces are Rozier, Morris, and Ojeleye. I would not be surprised to see teams lacking PG play to make a move for Rozier after the Playoff performances he has put on this season.

As well as he's played, and as often as Kyrie is injured, I'd retain Rozier.* I think the market for Smart will be brisk via sign and trade, as I feel a lot of teams will view him as an excellent guard to add to the rotation. Losing his D will hurt, but the Celts have to start making some hard decisions.
Ainge is currently basking in the glow of building a team that looks to be on the precipice of greatness. No matter what anyone ever says, it is the draft picks that best reflect on the GM. He's already being lauded for drafting Brown (higher than many projections said he should go), and the brilliant-in-retrospect trade down for Tatum.
Seriously, those could be the type of draft picks that are mentioned first when he accepts GM of the year awards in the future. Just brilliant draft moves. He won't be keen to burn that down.
As I said, in 2-3 years, the Eastern Conf finals, between Boston and the Celts (how erect are the execs in the league office and at ESPN/TNT for that to happen?) will be the de facto NBA title series. He's not dumb enough to squander what could be a decade long time in the sun, with a few series vs the LAL probably in the middle (now those league and TV execs need new trousers/undies/chairs). That is how a GM becomes a legend.
And, an oft injured Embiid, whom I personally don't think will put in the off season work to really prepare, is surmountable. The Phillies will be good, and will take a few of those series vs the Celts, but if the Celts make the correct moves, the future is bright.
A possible road bump is the relationship between Stevens and Heyward. In 2 years, contracts are going to start coming due for renegotiation. Based on future value (and a lowered cap), and current value, Heyward will represent the most value via trade. He could be turned into the type of valuable backups that title teams must have. Will Stevens be OK with jettisoning a guy whom Stevens used his personal relationship with to lure to the Celts? Like I said, only possible fly in the ointment.

*Barring sweetheart trade offer. If I'm the Celts, only Brown and Tatum (in that order) are untouchable. I'd include Horford, but given his age I'm not sure reasonable compensation would ever be offered. Horford is very important, but I don't think anyone will offer a decent trade for him, so he's ESSENTIALLY untouchable. Everyone else, Kyrie and Heyward included, would be available for the correct offer.

It better be a hell of an offer to part ways with Kyrie and/or Hayward. Kyrie has not even reached his prime.

Trade Irving, Morris and 1st round pick for Davis.
Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Davis small ball starters. Start Hortford to go big.
Hortford, Smart, Semi, Baynes, Larkin and Theis are subs.

Man I get the Terry Rozier love, but some of you have forgotten how great Kyrie is as a playmaker/clutch shot maker. Did you guys forget the performance he had in the 2016 NBA Finals (Cavs don’t win the Finals without him) or the MVP type level he was playing at the start of this year? He is 26 years old and has 10+ more years left in the league as long as he stays healthy. I’m sorry but Rozier nor Smart will ever reach the ceiling of Kyrie. If Boston lucks out and the lakers get the #2-#5 pick (it will then belong to Boston) and Boston drafts an Ayton, Bagley, or Carter then the Celtics will be just fine without an AD.

Kyrie is a shot maker. Most of his play making is creating his own shots. Celtics are now playing pure team basketball.
When K.I. returns there will not be as much team chemistry . He also is not known for his defense. I love his game
but he needs the ball in his hands. Right now Celtics are finding the open man. Add Hayward and Davis with 2 great Lebron defenders in Smart and Semi and Celtics win the East with Philly a close second.

Kyrie is a shot maker. Most of his play making is creating his own shots. Celtics are now playing pure team basketball.
When K.I. returns there will not be as much team chemistry . He also is not known for his defense. I love his game
but he needs the ball in his hands. Right now Celtics are finding the open man. Add Hayward and Davis with 2 great Lebron defenders in Smart and Semi and Celtics win the East with Philly a close second.
The ball movement that a few of these teams have is really good to watch. I also like the approach Stevens takes: next man up. He just expects the guy taking over to get the job done. He had the same thinking in college.

Kyrie’s defense has improved under Stevens. Yeah Kyrie can create his own shot and is a proven clutch performer on the big stage. I don’t agree with the notion that all he is a ball stopper and does not look for his teammates.

He's really, really good. There was that brief period when he was a freshman that he looked uncomfortable and out of sorts....that was soon replaced by everything sort of coming together at once. And it took him even less time to find that routine in the NBA. He has potential to be a star.
I thought he’d be solid this year but he’s been so much more. He had 2 healthy scratches this year ( both in the last week of the year) otherwise he started every game. I can only hope Boston does not trade him. I’d be much more willing to trade Jaylen Brown at this point. Even though i would rather that not happen either. His improvement from last year has been significant.

I think some of you are forgetting how goood Boston was with Irving. Tatum and Rozier stepped up big time but they are not ready to carry the load every game.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Exactly before Kyrie went down he was the on court leader of the team. I still see him talking to the younger guys on the sidelines during timeouts. Kyrie is one of the best point guards in the league and is a Superstar let’s not forget that.

Reactions: denniden
Exactly before Kyrie went down he was the on court leader of the team. I still see him talking to the younger guys on the sidelines during timeouts. Kyrie is one of the best point guards in the league and is a Superstar let’s not forget that.
Boston is a better team with Kyrie. All that BS about him needing the hall in his hands is regurgitated nonsense by people who were too lazy to take the time to see how he was playing in Boston and the positive effect it had.

They are probably the same people who said Tatum should have been coming off the bench at Duke and that Tatum was a ball stopper.

Reactions: denniden
I'm willing to bet Boston trades Rozier. Ainge is ruthless, Rozier's value will never be higher than this offseason. Plus, I believe he will be due to get paid soon, Boston isn't gonna flood their cap with Rozier. They already have Hayward and Kyrie making the max, my bet is they try to turn most of their assets into Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, or whatever other susperstar become available.

Also...Raptors choked, Lebron played his D+ game (bad for Lebron, still the best player on the court) and Raptors still lost. Series over.

I'm willing to bet Boston trades Rozier. Ainge is ruthless, Rozier's value will never be higher than this offseason. Plus, I believe he will be due to get paid soon, Boston isn't gonna flood their cap with Rozier. They already have Hayward and Kyrie making the max, my bet is they try to turn most of their assets into Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, or whatever other susperstar become available.

Also...Raptors choked, Lebron played his D+ game (bad for Lebron, still the best player on the court) and Raptors still lost. Series over.
Agree, you trade Rozier while his stock is at its highest. No brainer here.

Reactions: jwill133
I wasn't advocating trading Irving or Heyward. I'm just saying that everyone outside of Brown or Tatum would be AVAILABLE for trade. Now, those would have to be sweetheart deals, but I'd at least LISTEN to any offers for any players outside of Tatum and Brown.
If I'm Ainge, I don't trade Brown or Tatum for any reasonable offer. I don't feel there are the players available to get equal value for those guys.
Kyrie and Heyward are unique cases. Heyward is great, and I'd love to see what he, Brown, and Tatum look like. But, he's trade-able due to age and upside relative to Brown and Tatum, as well as some skill overlap.
As for Kyrie, he is still iffy wrt the most important ability in sports. Availability. His injury history means that he's available, for the right price. Again, it would take a good deal, but Ainge would have to at least listen to offers. As good as Kyrie is, you can't be sure he'll be available, or close to 100%, come May or later. That lowers his value somewhat, because he's a riskier player to fill a roster spot compared to some people.
The Celts just jettisoned IT, who was incredibly popular, largely because of injury questions.
I'll add that I don't think Ainge will trade Kyrie, nor Heyward for that matter, but both are at least available.
Lost in all the giddiness of their youth movement is the realization that both Brown and Tatum will be in line for Max deals.

I would think they would be salivating.

To play with them, yes. But JB and JT are going to be in line for Max deals in 3-5 years. And the team will need other pieces by then. Heyward and Kyrie could be used via trade to build the type of team around JB and JT, as well as draft picks, to keep the Celts in the title hunt for a decade.

To play with them, yes. But JB and JT are going to be in line for Max deals in 3-5 years. And the team will need other pieces by then. Heyward and Kyrie could be used via trade to build the type of team around JB and JT, as well as draft picks, to keep the Celts in the title hunt for a decade.

I hope they find a way to keep the group of Kyrie, Heyward, Tatum, and Brown together for a little while - which at least would be until the end of the latter two's rookie contracts. I would love to see what that group can do together.

I hope they find a way to keep the group of Kyrie, Heyward, Tatum, and Brown together for a little while - which at least would be until the end of the latter two's rookie contracts. I would love to see what that group can do together.

Oh, they will. For at least 3 years, until some hard decisions have to be made WRT contracts. It is certainly possible that all parties will take less than max deals to stay in a big market on a title caliber team in what looks like it could be one of the best organizations in pro sports.

Nobody is getting in Lebrons way until June.

Jayson Tatum is gonna play in a lot of all-star games.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Nobody is getting in Lebrons way until June.

Jayson Tatum is gonna play in a lot of all-star games.
Tatum is going to play in his share of finals too. I don’t think it happens this year, but healthy next year, the Celtics with Brad Stevens are going to be an absolute force and should be favored in the East regardless of what Bron does, outside of maybe him going to Philly.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Raptors are becoming like the Braves of old..great regular seasons,choke in post season.another sweep by Cavs
That’s disrespectful of the braves. They can’t even make the finals. The braves and bills were one of a kind as America’s best losers in the 90s.

Reactions: GillJET
Tatum is going to play in his share of finals too. I don’t think it happens this year, but healthy next year, the Celtics with Brad Stevens are going to be an absolute force and should be favored in the East regardless of what Bron does, outside of maybe him going to Philly.
Agreed. What’s crazy is there is a road-map for Philly to keep Embiid, Simmons, and Redick...but then add 2 max guys this summer (Lebron, Kawhi, PG13). Not saying it’ll happen, but if it does, HIDE YO KIDS, HIDE YO WIFE.

Boston’s summer will be just as interesting though.

Agreed. What’s crazy is there is a road-map for Philly to keep Embiid, Simmons, and Redick...but then add 2 max guys this summer (Lebron, Kawhi, PG13). Not saying it’ll happen, but if it does, HIDE YO KIDS, HIDE YO WIFE.

Boston’s summer will be just as interesting though.
Kawhai would have to be a trade. They’d have to resign JJ who’s on a 1 year deal and will absolutely get a lot of offers this summer. I can’t see both PG and Lebron going to Philly and I’m not even sure that is a good fit. If you’re philly though do you trade Embiid for Kawhai assuming that he signs long term?

Kawhai would have to be a trade. They’d have to resign JJ who’s on a 1 year deal and will absolutely get a lot of offers this summer. I can’t see both PG and Lebron going to Philly and I’m not even sure that is a good fit. If you’re philly though do you trade Embiid for Kawhai assuming that he signs long term?
I heard this all on a podcast. I knew JJ was on a 1 year, but makes sense to resign him rather than losing him for nothing, and trade everyone else away, because everyone else they have is still young enough to be an asset.

I don't think this will happen either, but the fact that it's in play is incredible. I think PG and Lebron fit fine together, however I don't see how Ben Simmons could play with Lebron. Lebron with the ball in his hands surrounded by shooters is the greatest offense an NBA team can run, that won't work with Simmons.

I would not trade Embiid for Kawhi if I'm Philly, Embiid is younger, and he fits better alongside Ben Simmons' timeline. Both are huge injury gambles, I'm not convinced Kawhi will ever return to being a top 5 player in the league.

I heard this all on a podcast. I knew JJ was on a 1 year, but makes sense to resign him rather than losing him for nothing, and trade everyone else away, because everyone else they have is still young enough to be an asset.

I don't think this will happen either, but the fact that it's in play is incredible. I think PG and Lebron fit fine together, however I don't see how Ben Simmons could play with Lebron. Lebron with the ball in his hands surrounded by shooters is the greatest offense an NBA team can run, that won't work with Simmons.

I would not trade Embiid for Kawhi if I'm Philly, Embiid is younger, and he fits better alongside Ben Simmons' timeline. Both are huge injury gambles, I'm not convinced Kawhi will ever return to being a top 5 player in the league.
Yeah the question will really be will JJ want to stay in Philly? Does he go to BK where he lives? Does he go to another contender? Boston even? Odds are he probably stays in Philly and signs a 2 year deal. Embiid to me is a huge question mark. I’d almost be inclined to trade him just because how can you believe with all of the injuries he has had that you can make a consecutive year deep run. I think it’s almost wasting Simmons. I also think Bron and Simmons makes zero sense. PG and Simmons obviously makes sense. Just adding PG might be enough but i think with Kyrie and Hayward coming back, with Stevens, and all of the experience these young guys have gotten that they’ll be the team to beat for the foreseeable future in the East.

Yeah the question will really be will JJ want to stay in Philly? Does he go to BK where he lives? Does he go to another contender? Boston even? Odds are he probably stays in Philly and signs a 2 year deal. Embiid to me is a huge question mark. I’d almost be inclined to trade him just because how can you believe with all of the injuries he has had that you can make a consecutive year deep run. I think it’s almost wasting Simmons. I also think Bron and Simmons makes zero sense. PG and Simmons obviously makes sense. Just adding PG might be enough but i think with Kyrie and Hayward coming back, with Stevens, and all of the experience these young guys have gotten that they’ll be the team to beat for the foreseeable future in the East.
I don't think Philly makes any earth shattering moves, maybe they add a Kawhi or PG, but not both. Lebron is the dark cloud hanging over everything, his decision is obviously gonna impact everything.

I know I'm gonna take some flack for this, but I'm not convinced Hayward will ultimately be a difference maker in the playoffs. I mean the guy is great, but what is he when he is healthy? The 25th best player in the league? He obviously won't hurt a team, and he also seems like someone who can blend well with another superstar. But when it comes down to the best in the playoffs, top ten guys seem to be the only ones who REALLY matter. Kyrie is a difference maker, he can win a playoff game by himself by scoring 50. But I really just see Hayward as a slight upgrade over Tatum/Brown, and will even slow down those 2 guys' development.

Now if the Celtics added a third guy, say Anthony Davis or Kawhi, watch out.

I don't think Philly makes any earth shattering moves, maybe they add a Kawhi or PG, but not both. Lebron is the dark cloud hanging over everything, his decision is obviously gonna impact everything.

I know I'm gonna take some flack for this, but I'm not convinced Hayward will ultimately be a difference maker in the playoffs. I mean the guy is great, but what is he when he is healthy? The 25th best player in the league? He obviously won't hurt a team, and he also seems like someone who can blend well with another superstar. But when it comes down to the best in the playoffs, top ten guys seem to be the only ones who REALLY matter. Kyrie is a difference maker, he can win a playoff game by himself by scoring 50. But I really just see Hayward as a slight upgrade over Tatum/Brown, and will even slow down those 2 guys' development.

Now if the Celtics added a third guy, say Anthony Davis or Kawhi, watch out.
If they traded Hayward for Kawhai it’s over.

If they traded Hayward for Kawhai it’s over.
Sure. But if I'm the Spurs, I don't want Hayward for Kawhi. I want Tatum AND Brown, plus that Grizzlies pick the Celtics got in the Fultz/Tatum trade (will be a top 5 draft pick I believe next year? Hello RJ Barrett or Cam Reddish). They know the Celtics have a treasure chest full of wonderful assets, I want them all for Kawhi. I also don't even think I would do that trade if I'm the Celtics

Sure. But if I'm the Spurs, I don't want Hayward for Kawhi. I want Tatum AND Brown, plus that Grizzlies pick the Celtics got in the Fultz/Tatum trade (will be a top 5 draft pick I believe next year? Hello RJ Barrett or Cam Reddish). They know the Celtics have a treasure chest full of wonderful assets, I want them all for Kawhi. I also don't even think I would do that trade if I'm the Celtics
I wouldn’t if I’m the Celtics. That’s way too much. Especially for a guy who wants out and only has one year left on his deal. That’s why Hayward and Rozier, or Hayward Rozier and a pick might get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT