ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Time

How this roster is utilized by the coaching staff will tell a lot . I simply think there is too much front court size to go with a three guard line up .
I understand what you’re saying, but the guards this coming season are bigger. So it’s not the same argument or concern.

I understand what you’re saying, but the guards this coming season are bigger. So it’s not the same argument or concern.
It still is in my opinion and is one of the reasons Duke lost Stewart and Power. The only guard difference is Sion is 6’6” and not a freshman . My one worry is he played at Tulane and didn’t see constant high level competition as he will at Duke . I’ve never been in favor of a three guard line up . You loose to much on the rebounding end and Duke did not pressure the ball a lot to create turnovers . This season you have three legit front court shot blockers and possibly another in Pat .

I posted this in the “Duke in The NBA Thread” and want to post this on here as well.

The 2024 NBA Finals will not lack story lines nor Blue Devils 😈. This is the most excited I have been for an NBA Finals in recent memory.

The falling out between Luka and Porzingis
The falling out between Kyrie and Boston

Kyrie: Rejuvenated his career this season and is a Leader for The Mavericks. Arguably he has the best ball handling and layup game in all of NBA History. He is attempting to win his 2nd NBA Ring.

Tatum: Superstar! He is 26 years old and has already been to 6 Eastern Conference Finals and he is going to be playing in his 2nd NBA Finals in the last 3 seasons. I truly believe he is capable of being The Greatest Boston Celtic of All Time! He is trying to win his first NBA Ring.

Lively II: The 20 year old Rookie hasn’t had it easy. He’s lost both parents including his mother a couple months ago to a battle of cancer. I told my brother last summer while we were watching the NBA draft together, Lively was going to make an impact right away when he was selected #10 overall by Dallas playing alongside Luka and Kyrie. I added, Lively was the missing player! Lively earned All Rookie Honors this season and is vying for his 1st NBA Championship.

The basketball fan in me just wants a 7 game series with the outcome of Game 7 coming down to the very last possession and for both the Celtics and Mavericks to be completely healthy.

🍿 Enjoy The NBA Finals 😈🏀🏆

I listened to the Duke Blue Planet podcast and they had some thoughts on the first scrimmage at K Academy. It's only one scrimmage, but some of the new guys played, along with some former Duke guys, some of whom are pros. For what it's worth here are the early impressions.
Impressed: Sion, Cooper, Harris, Evans.
Struggled a bit: Kon, Mal, Brown.
Mal did have great length but he may need time to adjust like Mark Williams did. Evans impressed but clearly needs to add strength. Gillis had a quiet game. They seemed impressed with Harris's overall game which I found interesting. Kon may need time. Cooper and Sion are as good as advertised. Doesn't mean much but I figured people might be interested.

Last edited:
It’s a scrimmage at an academy . I don’t look for anyone to throw it all on the line . It’s like Reeves at CTC . Looked good but never translated to in game experience.
I’m ready for November.

I do think that's the starting five game one, and for most of the first half. Evans is going to play alot though and is the real deal. I think he is in that starting 5 come end of Janurary, early February.

I’m high on Evan’s but want to see him at the college level first . His scoring will be much needed.

Reactions: jamsession2
The CTC was an outlier. Lively was out, and Reeves had several open paths to the basket. He also couldn't stay healthy. Not sure what to expect from him at Clemson.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Read an article on DBR where Scheyer said his end of discussion were pretty forward and one thing he wouldn’t do was guarantee a starting spot or how many shot attempts or minutes anyone would get . If the player was fine with that then let’s role if not he’d help with their next step .

Peeps, I am not saying Tatum is better than Russell nor Larry Legend at this point in his career. But, I believe if Tatum Stays Healthy, starts Leading the Celtics to Multiple Championships, then eventually he can become the Greatest Celtic of All Time. He is only 26 years old, he is playing in his 2nd Finals in the last 3 seasons. Has played in 5 ECF in his first 7 seasons. He has also made 3 straight 1st Team All NBA Teams.

At this point in his career:

Tatum has the most playoff points in his first 7 seasons as an NBA Player (more than Bird and MJ at this point in their careers)

Tatum also is 1 of only 6 players in NBA History to lead his team to the Finals while leading his team in points, rebounds, and assists. The other 5 players: Jokic, LeBron, Duncan, Kidd, and Doncic.

Again, not saying Tatum is the Greatest Celtic of All Time at this point in his career, but if he starts leading the C’s to multiple championships and continues on the trajectory he is on right now, the sky is the limit for him.

Last edited:
Peeps, I am not saying Tatum is better than Russell not Larry Legend at this point in his career. But, I believe if Tatum Stays Healthy, starts Leading the Celtics to Multiple Championships, then eventually he can become the Greatest Celtic of All Time. He is only 26 years old, he is playing in his 2nd Finals in the last 3 seasons. Has played in 5 ECF in his first 7 seasons. He has also made 3 straight 1st Team All NBA Teams.

At this point in his career:

Tatum has the most playoff points in his first 7 seasons as an NBA Player (more than Bird and MJ at this point in their careers)

Tatum also is 1 one only 6 players in NBA History to lead his team to the Finals while leading his team in points, rebounds, and assists. The other 5 players: Jokic, LeBron, Duncan, Kidd, and Doncic.

Again, not saying Tatum is the Greatest Celtic of All Time at this point in his career, but if he starts leading the C’s to multiple championships and continues on the trajectory he is on right now, the sky is the limit for him.
I agree if he stays healthy. Injury did Larry Bird in.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
I like Tatum. He's good. But if he leads the Celtics to multiple titles is a big if. It is hard to maintain a run like this. If he gets 2 it is certainly a conversation. It is not a fair comparison right now. I am rooting for Lively and Dallas, although I don't watch NBA games anymore.

Last edited:
I'm not returning here unless I get a guarantee of 2 likes on all my posts.
That’s asking a lot . How about one like and an emoji ?

Thought this was the playing time thread ? Is Tatum returning or would his part not belong in the ,” Duke in the NBA thread?”.

To many threads get high jacked .

Reactions: christophero
That’s asking a lot . How about one like and an emoji ?

Thought this was the playing time thread ? Is Tatum returning or would his part not belong in the ,” Duke in the NBA thread?”.

To many threads get high jacked .

Shey, I had stated in my original post I had posted this in the Duke in the NBA thread as well, but I wanted to post the same thing here in case some of our posters don’t continue to follow the blue devils once they leave Duke. Tatum, Kyrie, and Lively are huge advocates for Duke and I think it’s awesome they are playing in the finals. Recruits pay attention to the success of Duke players in the nba.

I didn’t mean to annoy you with posting this on this thread, I’m sure if timo or Pisgah had an issue with it they would have removed my post.

It’s a scrimmage at an academy . I don’t look for anyone to throw it all on the line . It’s like Reeves at CTC . Looked good but never translated to in game experience.
I’m ready for November.
I would never poo poo what you see when Duke players play over the summer. It's where the players establish themselves. 2 years ago I was there and reported that Flip would be our best player after seeing him play. The games go to 7, so every point counts. I used to play in those games in the 90's and they are intense.

Reactions: christophero
Shey, I had stated in my original post I had posted this in the Duke in the NBA thread as well, but I wanted to post the same thing here in case some of our posters don’t continue to follow the blue devils once they leave Duke. Tatum, Kyrie, and Lively are huge advocates for Duke and I think it’s awesome they are playing in the finals. Recruits pay attention to the success of Duke players in the nba.

I didn’t mean to annoy you with posting this on this thread, I’m sure if timo or Pisgah had an issue with it they would have removed my post.
lol I was playing ain’t nothing really happening on the board just messing around.
Good lord you would have thought I directed my post at someone and I didn’t point at anyone some need to really calm down .

lol I was playing ain’t nothing really happening on the board just messing around.
Good lord you would have thought I directed my post at someone and I didn’t point at anyone some need to really calm down .

Haha it’s hard to tell when one is being sarcastic through text shey. I’m not upset haha life is good over my way buddy. I hope life is great over your way and with your loved ones as well! I hope life is going great with everyone and their loved ones on this board! Just wanted to address the “threads are getting hi jacked a lot on this board” portion of your last post in case you were bothered we were talking about former blue devils playing in the finals. Go Duke and let’s enjoy the Finals! Hopefully Tatum, Kyrie, and Lively II all show out!

Haha it’s hard to tell when one is being sarcastic through text shey. I’m not upset haha life is good over my way buddy. I hope life is great over your way and with your loved ones as well! I hope life is going great with everyone and their loved ones on this board! Just wanted to address the “threads are getting hi jacked a lot on this board” portion of your last post in case you were bothered we were talking about former blue devils playing in the finals. Go Duke and let’s enjoy the Finals! Hopefully Tatum, Kyrie, and Lively II all show out!
I really was just poking fun. It’s the off season not much going on . Same to you to , hope all is good and well. This is usually my fishing time .

• Love
I really was just poking fun. It’s the off season not much going on . Same to you to , hope all is good and well. This is usually my fishing time .
Thank You Shey, I appreciate you! It was just a misunderstanding on my part. Sorry if it seemed like I was coming off as a jerk, I promise that was definitely not my intention.

Fishing I heard is a very good time and relaxing. I need to get my license and do it this summer. Do you fish for sport or do you eat your catches?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT