ADVERTISEMENT

Official 2024-25 minutes thread

As much as I enjoy this type of thread, it does drive me crazy. I know alot of it is accurate, I just like to think every player starts out with the "I'm taking someone's minutes/spot mentality" teammates or not... and I have that feel about Harris. Mal, Flagg, Proctor I feel they are locks. The rest IS UP FOR THE TAKING. That's how I'm approaching practice, summer workouts, personal drills, team building if I'm Jon. These HS rankings mean NOTHING... Earn it, Lock In, and take these minutes, I Don't care who gets upset. Maybe it'll light a 🔥 under somebody, which will igniter the team, or they'll move on... Find out who's for DUKE, or who's not... and thr reason I say HS rankings don't matter, Sheppard(79) and Dillingham(21) Out performed Edwards(3) Bradshaw(5) and Wagner(6) for Kentucky BIG TIME...
Agree with a lot of what you're saying. The only thing that seems fairly certain nowadays is that loyalty has been moved way down the list of importance. A coach isn't guaranteed any particular kid will hang around, no matter if he's a starter or not.

Yeah I feel like we do this every year, this year is just different due to having experienced transfers. But I’m pretty sure everyone was penciling in Stewart for 15-20 mpg, Power 15 mpg, Reeves and Schutt 10-15…and outside of some random games, they were all out of the rotation. Injuries to Schutt and reeves I know, but you know they weren’t gonna be in the rotation.

I’d love to see us play a deeper bench, but I’ll believe it when I see it. We are definitely going to be able to withstand injuries this year though.
Who ever thought those players would get that were just crazy . Now ten to five minutes would have been exceptional but I never thought they would get more then rest minutes for starters .

As much as I enjoy this type of thread, it does drive me crazy. I know alot of it is accurate, I just like to think every player starts out with the "I'm taking someone's minutes/spot mentality" teammates or not... and I have that feel about Harris. Mal, Flagg, Proctor I feel they are locks. The rest IS UP FOR THE TAKING. That's how I'm approaching practice, summer workouts, personal drills, team building if I'm Jon. These HS rankings mean NOTHING... Earn it, Lock In, and take these minutes, I Don't care who gets upset. Maybe it'll light a 🔥 under somebody, which will igniter the team, or they'll move on... Find out who's for DUKE, or who's not... and thr reason I say HS rankings don't matter, Sheppard(79) and Dillingham(21) Out performed Edwards(3) Bradshaw(5) and Wagner(6) for Kentucky BIG TIME...
That’s because you could also say sports were getting back to normal from Covid and players weren’t fully evaluated.

You're making excellent points, but you have to recruit the kids you described. In modern times, you have that attitude from kids that are 3 stars. The others feel a sense of entitlement.

Reactions: sheyduke
You say you "enjoy this type of thread" but then go on to explain why it is all BS and a waste of time. I agree with your last part. So, what's to "enjoy?"
OFC
Some of the enjoyment is just seeing if anyone is spot on with the predictions... and how we as posters think of the players. Who each person think will be what type of role, and what they will bring to the team... for me I'm riding with Evans and Harris. And Harris to surprise alot of us... I also think we will see more (8-10 mins) from most players each night. Florida State style, this season... we can't have a mass exodus again. And PT is a major reason for that. So I think Jon will give everyone some clock. Obviously it's situational, but I think we see more rotations and minutes spread out than DNPs.

Some of the enjoyment is just seeing if anyone is spot on with the predictions... and how we as posters think of the players. Who each person think will be what type of role, and what they will bring to the team... for me I'm riding with Evans and Harris. And Harris to surprise alot of us... I also think we will see more (8-10 mins) from most players each night. Florida State style, this season... we can't have a mass exodus again. And PT is a major reason for that. So I think Jon will give everyone some clock. Obviously it's situational, but I think we see more rotations and minutes spread out than DNPs.
I get what you’re saying, but this ain’t 2010, or even 2022. I think the days are gone on mid level kids hanging around, especially at schools like Duke. The problem is kids can go somewhere immediately that will pay them and offer playing time.

A way to possibly slow down some of the portal insanity is if a kid can only transfer once without sitting out a year.

Who ever thought those players would get that were just crazy . Now ten to five minutes would have been exceptional but I never thought they would get more then rest minutes for starters .
Projecting Sean to get 15 mpg is crazy? I for one thought he would get those minutes last year at this time a year ago, especially when we didn't land a big.

Reactions: GLStarrBrand
The ideal situation would be for the coaching staff to have the 11 scholarship guys have the opportunity to showcase what each of them can do by getting some floor time from November through the first couple of weeks of February. Then from the 3rd week of February and onward shorten down the rotation to the team’s 8-9 best core.

Will it happen that way? More than likely not, but it’s wishful thinking haha.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Projecting Sean to get 15 mpg is crazy? I for one thought he would get those minutes last year at this time a year ago, especially when we didn't land a big.
Not with Flip and Mitchell returning and Duke sticking to a three guard line up. I remember a lot of people hyping Power this time last year and he barely played but one would argue he was Dukes second best shooter next to McCain. That’s why I’m not surprised him or Stewart left at all.

I wonder if Flip, Mitchell, and Proctor returning caused tension with the freshman. I think people are so used to Duke guys being OAD. I think Flip and Proctor particularly surprised people. Cooper reclassed, so it was probably assumed Mitchell would be gone by then. Mitchell transferring makes more sense when I remembered that.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession2
Not with Flip and Mitchell returning and Duke sticking to a three guard line up. I remember a lot of people hyping Power this time last year and he barely played but one would argue he was Dukes second best shooter next to McCain. That’s why I’m not surprised him or Stewart left at all.
The game was too fast for Powers to play over 10mpg. Also, the coaching staff did not trust him on defense. As for Stewart, there was too much faith in Mitchell to man the pf. Stewart should've been given that opportunity.

I wonder if Flip, Mitchell, and Proctor returning caused tension with the freshman. I think people are so used to Duke guys being OAD. I think Flip and Proctor particularly surprised people. Cooper reclassed, so it was probably assumed Mitchell would be gone by then. Mitchell transferring makes more sense when I remembered that.
Definitely Flip, I ASSUME. Flip at times was close to being Josh Mac 2.0.

Reactions: christophero
The game was too fast for Powers to play over 10mpg. Also, the coaching staff did not trust him on defense. As for Stewart, there was too much faith in Mitchell to man the pf. Stewart should've been given that opportunity.
This makes sense, but there's more options for the coach to choose from here, so if you aren't really standing out, you're left out.

We will find out how he does under Bennett.

I agree about TJ, but it wasn't crazy to think Sean would get 15 mpg. I still believe he was underutilized and should have played around that 15 mpg mark.

This is the hype I’ve referred to the last few months. I don’t like it. Flagg just needs to be really good and not a generational talent. He doesn’t need additional pressure from us (Duke fans). The media is enough.
Comes with the territory. You don’t run and hide and he’s built for this. It’s not like this has all of a sudden been sprung on him. Embrace it and let’s go. Jon has done a masterful job of surrounding him with experience and talent across the board.

Comes with the territory. You don’t run and hide and he’s built for this. It’s not like this has all of a sudden been sprung on him. Embrace it and let’s go. Jon has done a masterful job of surrounding him with experience and talent across the board.
This ! I just want a balance and a bench . This team has it but will it be utilized ?

Timo, I have the utmost respect for your opinion. You have been posting here long before I started coming to this site in 2015. Almost everything you post is insightful and I probably agree with your opinion 95% of the time. Not on this though. There’s an added expectation that comes with the territory when playing for Duke. I get that. This has gone beyond that though and I do think Duke fans adding unnecessary pressure is unproductive. I only mention this because it’s something we can control. He may be built for it but at then of the day, he is still a kid and will be when he leaves the program. I agree with you about Jon helping him out.

Last edited:
Unless something unforeseen happens it will be. Doesn’t mean 11 guys are all getting equal min or playing every game.
I don’t want 11 guys playing equal minutes . I want ten guys getting some minutes especially against lesser opponents. I want to see a team so intact that teams don’t know how to approach them . A course more will play more minutes than others but I also think this team has the pieces to play bench players more against lesser opponents. I mean a win is a win if it’s by 1 or 100.

Timo, I have the utmost respect for your opinion. You have been posting here long before I started coming to this site in 2015. Almost everything you post is insightful and I probably agree with your opinion 95% of the time. Not on this though. There’s an added expectation that comes with the territory when playing for Duke. I get that. This has gone beyond that though and I do think Duke fans adding unnecessary pressure is unproductive. I only mention this because it’s something we can control. He may be built for it but at then of the day, he is still a kid and will be when he leaves the program. I agree with you about Jon helping him out.
Appreciate the kind words and I hear what you’re saying. My sentiment though is based in all the variables you brought up. We can’t control Duke nation or ask them to temper expectations. It’s not based in reality. Some players fold some players rise. Cooper is an absolute alpha. He’s a guy that won’t cower to the pressure. It’s not his personality. He’s been the consensus number one player for years, regardless of class. When he reclassed back from ‘25 to ‘24, he was still #1. Speaks to how good he is. A guy like Jabari Parker had even more expectations and he had a spectacular year, but he didn’t have the roster around him to allow him to be even better. That won’t be an excuse next year unless we are just decimated by injury or off the court issues. I’d say just enjoy the one year we get with this kid and let’s roll.

I don’t want 11 guys playing equal minutes . I want ten guys getting some minutes especially against lesser opponents. I want to see a team so intact that teams don’t know how to approach them . A course more will play more minutes than others but I also think this team has the pieces to play bench players more against lesser opponents. I mean a win is a win if it’s by 1 or 100.
I don’t disagree. ‘99 played I think 9 consistent min.

I agree with what you are saying Timo . I’m also not saying guys off the bench are going to get ten minutes or more . I just want to see three to five minutes for players six - ten. Let them learn and see what all they need to work on. I think this is what happened to Stewart and Power.

Reactions: jamsession2
If you only win by 1, it could have easily been a loss. I say beat the hell out of them and get back to teams expecting to lose when they come to Cameron.

Last edited:
If you only win by 1, it could have easily been a loss. I say beat the hell out of them and get back to teams expecting to lose when they come to Cameron.
I don’t think teams are scared to play Duke as much as they used to . College basketball has changed and the turn over of rosters year in and year out has given teams an edge as to where old Duke teams were full of upperclassmen that had played in Cameron for more then one to two years and were up to the task .

Reactions: dukesince91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT