ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson

I cant wait for the season where we do actually have a rough one to see how many "Duke" fans stay loyal
I lived thru the the early 80's, the 95, 2007 and all the one and done seasons, I will always be a fan. The next 2 years are going to be average to below average seasons. I just don't see K sticking around for it. It is really hard to be a college basketball fan anymore.

I have always loved the NBA more than college basketball (Duke rules over all though.) Even I am annoyed with how the NBA has chewed up and spit out the college game. $$$$$$$$$$$ will do that though.

If UK can stay elite every year though by replenishing with a whole new team, we should be able to as well...probably won't next year though.

Building a roster around three-star 4 year players is not the answer. Goldwire I am excited about though, he will be good in 2020.

For me personally I could care less...what has happened to college basketball has made it very difficult to have connection to a player or a program....it's a revolving door now..

On to the next OAD class....

For me personally I could care less...what has happened to college basketball has made it very difficult to have connection to a player or a program....it's a revolving door now..

On to the next OAD class....
Agree with this 100 percent. I have always loved Duke basketball and what the university stands for, but I could honestly care less if we land Duval or that Frank left. I will watch the product on the floor and see what happens. College Basketball is not the same, and as K-oach said, there is no connection anymore. Thank god for guys like Grayson Allen.

I have always loved the NBA more than college basketball (Duke rules over all though.) Even I am annoyed with how the NBA has chewed up and spit out the college game. $$$$$$$$$$$ will do that though.

If UK can stay elite every year though by replenishing with a whole new team, we should be able to as well...probably won't next year though.

Building a roster around three-star 4 year players is not the answer. Goldwire I am excited about though, he will be good in 2020.

You may need to play him next year...

Agree with this 100 percent. I have always loved Duke basketball and what the university stands for, but I could honestly care less if we land Duval or that Frank left. I will watch the product on the floor and see what happens. College Basketball is not the same, and as K-oach said, there is no connection anymore. Thank god for guys like Grayson Allen.

Remember Grayson could have left Freshmen, Soph and even this year.

K can recruit 4 stars and build but chose the OAD route. This is the result.

C'mon Laettner. You have common sense, but this post is devoid of any.

First off, the NBA chose the one-and-done route. K's recruiting strategies haven't changed in 30+ years. Neither have Roy Williams. The tide of the water changes people's perceptions. All of the people whining in this thread were likely the same people riding high last August.

Our recruiting misses in the 2007-10 timeframe were tough to handle at the time. K had 'lost' it and Duke basketball was fading off into the sunset. What happened in 2010 came as a shock to many when we won a title with a group of upperclassmen. All of a sudden, the brand became the 'it' thing again and recruiting soared. Then 2015 happened. Then, we landed the 2016 class and were hailed as the overwhelming preseason favorites. Then, ugh, the season started. Injuries. Grayson being stupid. K being out. Dysfunction. No point guard. In six months, Duke went from being the shiny new car to a rusty old Toyota.

I want Duke to continue recruiting the best players. I want Coach K to maybe experiment more. But mostly, I want people to realize the end of the world isn't here because things don't look all shiny and new. If anything, we should get behind next season's team even more.

C'mon Laettner. You have common sense, but this post is devoid of any.

First off, the NBA chose the one-and-done route. K's recruiting strategies haven't changed in 30+ years. Neither have Roy Williams. The tide of the water changes people's perceptions. All of the people whining in this thread were likely the same people riding high last August.

Our recruiting misses in the 2007-10 timeframe were tough to handle at the time. K had 'lost' it and Duke basketball was fading off into the sunset. What happened in 2010 came as a shock to many when we won a title with a group of upperclassmen. All of a sudden, the brand became the 'it' thing again and recruiting soared. Then 2015 happened. Then, we landed the 2016 class and were hailed as the overwhelming preseason favorites. Then, ugh, the season started. Injuries. Grayson being stupid. K being out. Dysfunction. No point guard. In six months, Duke went from being the shiny new car to a rusty old Toyota.

I want Duke to continue recruiting the best players. I want Coach K to maybe experiment more. But mostly, I want people to realize the end of the world isn't here because things don't look all shiny and new. If anything, we should get behind next season's team even more.
THIS. I want the best players every year. I don't want to go through 2007-2010 again. We are Duke, we get the best, regardless how many years they stay. Leave the 3 and 4 stars to Clemson and Wake Forest.

Certainly want to sprinkle in multi-years guy though, unlike UK.

Reactions: MyDudeG
I certainly don't know why but Duke cannot compete each and every year with UK and it's signing of so many 5 star players and I think thats fine with me, no team can, but Duke is as good at it as any team not named UK. I have tempered my expectations because of this past season but will still pull for the boys and hope for the best.

Damn, I hate UNCheats.

Getting all of the 5 star players will not bring a championship to UK though. Only 5 guys can play at a time.

College basketball player hype and John Calapari have ruined the college game. Did I mention I hate UNC.

Best of luck Frank!

4 first rounders and we cannot make the second weekend. Season just got harder to swallow. Just my opinion.

I agree with you....And the State loss at home may have ultimately made us a 2nd seed practically on SC's home court.

OFC

Have you been out in the sun without your hat? Are you some kind of grand puba that thinks because you speak it's the truth? K has 2 freshmen that are 5 stars, 1 sophomore that was, a senior that was, and recruiting a point guard that is. Yet you want to boast that Duke will be bad next year or say something disrespectful and stupid about a freshman (Goldwire) that hasn't played yet. Duke is Duke, I'm a little older than you and have watched some bad basketball by Duke. If we listened to you we may as well not watch.

I agree with you....And the State loss at home may have ultimately made us a 2nd seed practically on SC's home court.

OFC
hart and Laettner UK has proven many times that 3 or 4 first rounders do not mean crap when it comes to a championship and they will continue to do so.

Its all going to be ok guys...lets not start the meltdown before the season even starts.. We will be fine. it drives me crazy how some of us feel like these guys owe us something. My goodness, if I had the chance to play pro ball after 1 year of college, I'd take it too. yeah it sucks they all don't stay four years, but lets wish them the best and move on. Im excited for next season. A senior Grayson, and some solid guys who are going to get a chance to show they can play.
So Dukesky85 are you saying that a player should try to fulfill his dream in spite of what we basketball fans want?:cool:

Man this board stinks sometimes, basically whenever things go south.

People beg for bench players to get minutes. Now an opportunity opens up and we all of a sudden are going to suck. For crying out loud someone take a look at our roster and compare it to 90+% of the other teams out there next year before crying like little girls or bashing a guy on his way out the door.

Reactions: hart2chesson
hart and Laettner UK has proven many times that 3 or 4 first rounders do not mean crap when it comes to a championship and they will continue to do so.

Sorry gotta- I dont put Cal in K's class as a coach which is why I expect more.Just being real dude.

OFC

I was really looking forward to seeing what Jackson could do next year but I'm so tired of people bashing kids because they dont do what we as fans wanted them to do. I'd like to see every kid that goes to Duke stay four years but it isn't reality. It isn't reality that most of them will stay two anymore. Frank is making what he thinks is the best decision for himself, not what would be best for us fans. Duke basketball will be alright.

Have you been out in the sun without your hat? Are you some kind of grand puba that thinks because you speak it's the truth? K has 2 freshmen that are 5 stars, 1 sophomore that was, a senior that was, and recruiting a point guard that is. Yet you want to boast that Duke will be bad next year or say something disrespectful and stupid about a freshman (Goldwire) that hasn't played yet. Duke is Duke, I'm a little older than you and have watched some bad basketball by Duke. If we listened to you we may as well not watch.
This isn't the 80's anymore. A team of 5 five stars (3 freshman, sophomore, senior) built around....Goldwire, O'Connell, Jack White, Vrank isn't gonna cut it.
I said we wouldn't be very good next year, I didn't know that meant we would be bad?? Not very good for Duke standards means I believe we will be ranked 10-20 throughout the year.

Didn't know that it was disrespectful to say that a 3-star player who we out-recruited EKU for will be good come 2020.

This isn't the 80's anymore. A team of 5 five stars (3 freshman, sophomore, senior) built around....Goldwire, O'Connell, Jack White, Vrank isn't gonna cut it.
I said we wouldn't be very good next year, I didn't know that meant we would be bad?? Not very good for Duke standards means I believe we will be ranked 10-20 throughout the year.

Didn't know that it was disrespectful to say that a 3-star player who we out-recruited EKU for will be good come 2020.

Add Javin Delaurier to the mix and hopefully Jordan Tucker and Duval....Things arent so bad....I will say K needs to perhaps cast a WIDER NET to offset the premature departures AND 5 star misses...OFC

Add Javin Delaurier to the mix and hopefully Jordan Tucker and Duval....Things arent so bad....I will say K needs to perhaps cast a WIDER NET to offset the premature departures AND 5 star misses...OFC
Oops did forget Javin. Duval was included as 1 of our 5 five stars. If we miss out on Duval.........................................................................

This thread had Tarhole report written all over it... smh. With the good comes the bad, you've got to be able to ride the bad out to appreciate the good. Funny thing is, it's a luxury in what we as fans have. We have 4 declare for the draft, 2 (potentially 3) top 10 recruits, returning preseason POY candidate, the best coach to ever walk the face of the earth and Cameron Indoors. Guys, we still have good things happening. Get out of the gutters.

Well folks, we can put another one to bed. I believe the people that mattered (Frank Jackson & family), made a decision that they felt was in their best interest. We don't have to like it, but the least we could do is wish him the best. I enjoyed watching him this past season and would have liked to have seen more, but it is what it is.
I really feel that Duke will be fine next year, and laugh if you want, but it we get Duval, I still think we will be a "final four" caliber team! May be a few people here underestimating the talent that is coming in and what is already here. This is still Duke and trust me "IT'S GONNA BE OK!
Go Duke!
OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT