ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson

Kyle and Nolan had better careers at Duke. I don't think you can take what you know of them as 22-year-old's and say definitively Frank couldn't be just as good or better as both of them when he reaches that age. Just use the eye test....Frank is a better athlete than both, certainly more advanced shooting the ball than Nolan (ever was) and probably equal to Kyle after their respective freshmen seasons, and I'd say Frank's ability to get into the lane is better than both too.

Listen, Kyle and Nolan were tremendous college basketball players. All-Americans, national champions and Duke legends. No doubt about that. But do you truly feel Frank couldn't have been all those things, too? He's way ahead of where Nolan was at the same point in their careers. In addition, certain players transition to the NBA better than others. Tyler Hansbrough is one of the most dominant college players we've watched the last two decades in college. In the NBA he averaged a paltry six points and four rebounds over seven seasons and now is in the D-League at 31 years old.

Again, I'm not diminishing Nolan and Kyle whatsoever....two of my favorites to ever play at Duke, but I think it's premature to say a 19-year-old Frank Jackson wouldn't be able to live up to them. If we had been fortunate to have Frank for four seasons, he's probably a 2,000-point scorer and All-American. Unfortunately, we'll never get to find out.
Agreed 100

Although different players, look at Tyus Jones. If he can't stick, Frank Jackson sure won't. He's Nick Johnson 2.0 IMO. Nick Johnson ain't in the league. Best of luck to him.

Tyus is still sticking, and IMO, will for a long time. People forget that Tyus just turned 21 earlier this week and already has two NBA seasons under his belt. Most of these kids aren't leaving early because they're instant stars.

In today's era, Kyle and Nolan would not have grown up at Duke (both were border line first rounders throughout their Duke careers) soooo yeah I'll stick to the theory that landing at most one 5-star guy is not the way to go, thanks.

No, I get what you mean... just picking on the years you mentioned, because they were literally the years that lead up to and included the 2010 title:)

Happy for Frank. But irritated as a fan. Sorry if that isn't popular to say, but...

minutes for the guys that we crave for to get the opportunity to develop w/o such a short leash...just play the kids we got

Although different players, look at Tyus Jones. If he can't stick, Frank Jackson sure won't. He's Nick Johnson 2.0 IMO. Nick Johnson ain't in the league. Best of luck to him.

Tyus is still sticking, and IMO, will for a long time. People forget that Tyus just turned 21 earlier this week and already has two NBA seasons under his belt. Most of these kids aren't leaving early because they're instant stars.
I don't follow the NBA closely but it seems like he's spent a ton of time in the d league. I hope he does stick. I think Frank profiles very similar to Nick Johnson. He may be a slightly better shooter, but I think Nick was the superior athlete.l and defender. Be interesting to see how it turns out for Frank.

No, I get what you mean... just picking on the years you mentioned, because they were literally the years that lead up to and included the 2010 title:)

Happy for Frank. But irritated as a fan. Sorry if that isn't popular to say, but...

Yeah, but people forget the struggles it took to get to that point.

Since the turn of the century, the 2007 team is probably the worst Duke team in that timeframe.

In 2008, we were tiny up front and watched Kyle play center the whole season. That season was essentially highlighted by our win over a Carolina team playing without Ty Lawson.

We were better in 2009, but our ceiling was lower than recent seasons. We got dismantled by Villanova and failed to get past the Sweet 16 for the fifth season in a row.

Guys leave. That is a part of it. We have top five class coming in without Duval and 2 top 10 players coming in. With Duval, it's an even better class. I understand this may be a "weaker" class but there are some good players coming in. I don't think it needs to be doom and gloom. In 2014-15, we had a good class coming in to join a senior that hadn't lived up to expectations yet, a sophomore and junior that were good role players, and a highly regarded junior. And we won that year. I'm just saying we should trust the staff. I know they aren't perfect and make mistakes, but they have built a pretty solid resume.

Reactions: dukiejay
I don't follow the NBA closely but it seems like he's spent a ton of time in the d league. I hope he does stick. I think Frank profiles very similar to Nick Johnson. He may be a slightly better shooter, but I think Nick was the superior athlete.l and defender. Be interesting to see how it turns out for Frank.

He spent a lot of time in the D-League his rookie year. Not this past season.

Frank is more explosive than both Tyus and Nick Johnson, and frankly, I think a better long term NBA prospect.

Our minds and attitudes change with wins and losses. I think it also shows how selfish we are as message board posters. If, by some chance, Duke had won the national championship this past season, would any of us really care about Frank leaving, or would we then be saying, "good luck and thanks for getting us #6?" Think about that.

What I'm saying is that we don't really put these kids best interests in place unless we feel they've done something special for us. How much different would we feel about Tyus and Jah had Matt Jones not gotten hot against Gonzaga, we lost, and they still left? Again....food for thought.

Reactions: jwill133
Sorry gotta- I dont put Cal in K's class as a coach which is why I expect more.Just being real dude.

OFC
hart neither do I. As an in game coach running a classy basketball program K is second to no one. I think K is as good as they come in that respect. You must admit that Cal and UK are the best of the best when it comes to landing 5 star recruits each and EVERY year, Theres something unique drawing the NBA talent to UK since Cal arrived. I suppose getting to the NBA is the reason, just as Cal says thats his goal. However, my point is that regardless of what they land and regardless of how many big name players they get where has it taken Cal and UK. Only 1 championship since he has been there. The UK program is a success but not as successful as Duke or (difficult to say) the Cheats.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Guys leave. That is a part of it. We have top five class coming in without Duval and 2 top 10 players coming in. With Duval, it's an even better class. I understand this may be a "weaker" class but there are some good players coming in. I don't think it needs to be doom and gloom. In 2014-15, we had a good class coming in to join a senior that hadn't lived up to expectations yet, a sophomore and junior that were good role players, and a highly regarded junior. And we won that year. I'm just saying we should trust the staff. I know they aren't perfect and make mistakes, but they have built a pretty solid resume.

How dare you speak with any reason. I was one this board in January of 2015....and no one thought we were going to the Final Four, let alone winning a national championship, myself included. The team was a complete mess.

Let's let the 2017-18 bunch run their own course and cheer them on....they at least deserve that from us.

Reactions: sheyduke

I don't think there's anything wrong with this sentiment. Happy for Frank as a person, of course, and don't hold anything against him for following his dreams. Hell, most of us would do that same if we were in his position. But at the end of the day we're still Duke fans, and it is frustrating only getting to enjoy these guys in a Duke uniform for one year.

Coach K should give some of his salary back if Frank gets drafted in the first round. He looked like Calipari coaching out there this year. There's no way you have all of that talent and don't make the Elite 8 at least. Terrible job by him this year. I guess he can afford one bad year. Not having to deal with USA Basketball this year will definitely help. We might can go on that foreign tour this summer. It has been awhile

He spent a lot of time in the D-League his rookie year. Not this past season.

Frank is more explosive than both Tyus and Nick Johnson, and frankly, I think a better long term NBA prospect.

Our minds and attitudes change with wins and losses. I think it also shows how selfish we are as message board posters. If, by some chance, Duke had won the national championship this past season, would any of us really care about Frank leaving, or would we then be saying, "good luck and thanks for getting us #6?" Think about that.

What I'm saying is that we don't really put these kids best interests in place unless we feel they've done something special for us. How much different would we feel about Tyus and Jah had Matt Jones not gotten hot against Gonzaga, we lost, and they still left? Again....food for thought.
It's need a few years, but I remember Johnson being one hell of an explosive athlete at zona. No, I wouldn't care if he left, but it still would seem like a bit of a head scratcher. Tyus played heavy minutes and was more or less a finished product when he arrived at Duke. Frank really didn't play a ton and seems to be quite raw. I guess with the d league now more and more of this will happen.

I got an idea fellas... let's write a petition or contact K and the players and tell them to cancel the season... some of you guys are acting like we are going to only win 10 games... R E L A X.... I know losing all of these players hurts but let's see how the rest of the summer plays out with any more recruits we get in... hell a lot of you may get your wish and K might use a bench this year... but on May 12 for everyone to not only push the panic button but to stomp on it is a little much! You don't think the guys read and see these things... they will want to go out and prove a point.

I got an idea fellas... let's write a petition or contact K and the players and tell them to cancel the season... some of you guys are acting like we are going to only win 10 games... R E L A X.... I know losing all of these players hurts but let's see how the rest of the summer plays out with any more recruits we get in... hell a lot of you may get your wish and K might use a bench this year... but on May 12 for everyone to not only push the panic button but to stomp on it is a little much! You don't think the guys read and see these things... they will want to go out and prove a point.
No1 has said that.or "acting"

hart neither do I. As an in game coach running a classy basketball program K is second to no one. I think K is as good as they come in that respect. You must admit that Cal and UK are the best of the best when it comes to landing 5 star recruits each and EVERY year, Theres something unique drawing the NBA talent to UK since Cal arrived. I suppose getting to the NBA is the reason, just as Cal says thats his goal. However, my point is that regardless of what they land and regardless of how many big name players they get where has it taken Cal and UK. Only 1 championship since he has been there. The UK program is a success but not as successful as Duke or (difficult to say) the Cheats.

Have a lot of respect for your views my friend- nice post...OFC

Coach K should give some of his salary back if Frank gets drafted in the first round. He looked like Calipari coaching out there this year. There's no way you have all of that talent and don't make the Elite 8 at least. Terrible job by him this year. I guess he can afford one bad year. Not having to deal with USA Basketball this year will definitely help. We might can go on that foreign tour this summer. It has been awhile

This past season wasn't a particularly good one for K....I'll admit that and I'm sure he knows it too. Whether he was 'terrible' or not is pretty subjective. Just about everything that could have gone wrong for our favorite team did. There were a lot of factors....including the built-in hype.

And while I agree wholeheartedly this team not going farther was a crying shame, it's still one game in the NCAA Tournament and all can be done. When you think about how the season went as a whole, and in trying to make light of an overall bad situation, it ended, oddly, about as could be expected.

No1 has said that.or "acting"

Some people are insinuating it though saying this is going to be a down year and losing 9 players we are crushed not you IP and maybe not all on this thread but I've seen a couple posts like this..., going off on a tangent.. frank made a decision and it was one he thought was best and some people saying have fun in the D league and he's going to not make noise need to just stop... he has the intangibles at age 19 and can work on his game while getting paid... good luck to him

Obviously hope Frank does well. He was very good this past season. But if he's out of the NBA in 5 years, I will not feel sorry for him.

The OAD deal has gotten out of hand.

It's need a few years, but I remember Johnson being one hell of an explosive athlete at zona. No, I wouldn't care if he left, but it still would seem like a bit of a head scratcher. Tyus played heavy minutes and was more or less a finished product when he arrived at Duke. Frank really didn't play a ton and seems to be quite raw. I guess with the d league now more and more of this will happen.

He was a really good athlete, but he didn't/doesn't have the measureables of a Frank. And I'd agree that much of Frank's basketball acumen is still somewhat raw, but if it comes to fruition someone is going to look back and talk about him being a good pick. Remember, Frank is being talked about being a first-round pick in what is widely considered a very deep talent pool.

Some people are insinuating it though saying this is going to be a down year and losing 9 players we are crushed not you IP and maybe not all on this thread but I've seen a couple posts like this..., going off on a tangent.. frank made a decision and it was one he thought was best and some people saying have fun in the D league and he's going to not make noise need to just stop... he has the intangibles at age 19 and can work on his game while getting paid... good luck to him
I agree to a point..people get to attached to players and their selfish needs..he's a kid who's doing what's best for him ..wish him well ..sorrow ..recover ..move on ..but I do think things are getting uneasy about next season ..not panic mode though

Reactions: Laettner15
If anybody got attached to Jackson it was me ..my favorite player ..lately.and the one guy I wanted to stay but I'm not gonna bad mouth him over my needs lol ..I want to though ...not gonna lie..then I think he's a kid not a robot

Reactions: Laettner15
If anybody got attached to Jackson it was me ..my favorite player ..lately.and the one guy I wanted to stay but I'm not gonna bad mouth him over my needs lol ..I want to though ...not gonna lie..then I think he's a kid not a robot

Exactly.... if anyone of us were put in that situation I think it would make us think too.

I agree to a point..people get to attached to players and their selfish needs..he's a kid who's doing what's best for him ..wish him well ..sorrow ..recover ..move on ..but I do think things are getting uneasy about next season ..not panic mode though

I agree it's not going to be easy but ill wait to see if we do get Duval and Tucker... if we do then we are a top 10 no worse then top 15 team...

Exactly.... if anyone of us were put in that situation I think it would make us think too.

I agree it's not going to be easy but ill wait to see if we do get Duval and Tucker... if we do then we are a top 10 no worse then top 15 team...
I think bamba is a good possibility now also ..kentuckys loaded ...just my opinion nothing heard or said ..

Would love bamba... if we got him I'd be shocked (no knowledge here either) but I think he goes Texas
Meh I forgot about Texas ..who knows ...we're young verrry young reguardless is what worries me and some imo ..rain got me stuck in house is driving me crazy also

We didn't develope squat last season.(.live game time action ) tough spot for k ..you want to continue to get 5 stars and play the best players like u say in ur recruiting pitch ...yet to do so guys don't get to develope ...at least in game..especially when they don't live up to the hype and u can't close games to get these guys in ..like last year

The seasons over and the roster hopefully will be settled shortly.

Players come and go. Wish them nothing but the best. We are still Duke and now this season will be for players to step up.

This, imo will be a season where if players don't play it will be on them and we can't defend them getting time. Especially if we don't land Duval and K remedys the bench length.

We didn't develope squat last season.(.live game time action )

I actually thought we developed pretty well after the Wake game. We hit a rough snag losing three of the last four regular season games, but none of them were against cupcakes. That said, only UNC, and maybe Miami, are slightly excusable.

We literally played our best stretch and worst stretch of the season in a span of 7-to-10 days.

What will be your favorite memories from Franks stellar career at Duke? Mine will be him dancing with Grayson at CTC.

Reactions: Dukesince90
C'mon Laettner. You have common sense, but this post is devoid of any.

First off, the NBA chose the one-and-done route. K's recruiting strategies haven't changed in 30+ years. Neither have Roy Williams. The tide of the water changes people's perceptions. All of the people whining in this thread were likely the same people riding high last August.

Our recruiting misses in the 2007-10 timeframe were tough to handle at the time. K had 'lost' it and Duke basketball was fading off into the sunset. What happened in 2010 came as a shock to many when we won a title with a group of upperclassmen. All of a sudden, the brand became the 'it' thing again and recruiting soared. Then 2015 happened. Then, we landed the 2016 class and were hailed as the overwhelming preseason favorites. Then, ugh, the season started. Injuries. Grayson being stupid. K being out. Dysfunction. No point guard. In six months, Duke went from being the shiny new car to a rusty old Toyota.

I want Duke to continue recruiting the best players. I want Coach K to maybe experiment more. But mostly, I want people to realize the end of the world isn't here because things don't look all shiny and new. If anything, we should get behind next season's team even more.

I'll be 1000% behind next years squad but watching this exodus is very difficult for me after our tourney performance. Have to drop my old school thinking & accept the OAD culture.

Until the NCAA starts paying college athletes (whole different discussion) the OAD trend is only gonna get worse and worse. With the money the NBA is bringing in due to their new TV contract, we're not too far away from 2nd round picks/undrafted D-League players getting solid contracts.

Would love bamba... if we got him I'd be shocked (no knowledge here either) but I think he goes Texas
I think Texas too because if Bamba won't come here because of Bolden and Carter, then why in the world would he go to uk who is loaded on the frontcourt?!

Not shocked but also not sure its a good decision. Surrounded by people advising him that also benefit from his decision to go pro probably didnt help him. Good luck.
On a broader note, it seems that the new 5 stars all have one eye on the league when they get to school whether they are legit OAD's or not....so do they really commit to being the best Duke player they can be? Personally I dont see it. Our defense has suffered for years and we look uncoordinated on offense alot also. Proves that recruiting this level of talent is a double edged sword. Potential is high but the outcome seldom lives up to the hype.

Reactions: gottagonow
Not shocked but also not sure its a good decision. Surrounded by people advising him that also benefit from his decision to go pro probably didnt help him. Good luck.
On a broader note, it seems that the new 5 stars all have one eye on the league when they get to school whether they are legit OAD's or not....so do they really commit to being the best Duke player they can be? Personally I dont see it. Our defense has suffered for years and we look uncoordinated on offense alot also. Proves that recruiting this level of talent is a double edged sword. Potential is high but the outcome seldom lives up to the hype.
I disagree. I think we've consistently finished in the top 15 recruiting this way. Just because we don't win titles every year doesn't mean we aren't successful with top classes. We wouldn't have any more success if we were actively avoiding one and dones. I like what we're doing. We just have to get the right mix at the right time. It would help to always have a high level point man. Derryck Thornton screwed that up, then we didn't go after anyone last cycle. We really need Duval, but at least we have a real point man in the tank at this point.

Interesting post from another board....

Al Jackson had a heated verbal argument twice this year with Coach k. Once right outside the Duke locker room, and once before boarding the bus for a road game leaving Cameron. This is a fact, from someone who is with the team on a daily basis. Jackson had a negative impact on the team almost to the point of a Rasheed situation.

Has anyone heard or know if there was a problem?

We didn't develope squat last season.(.live game time action ) tough spot for k ..you want to continue to get 5 stars and play the best players like u say in ur recruiting pitch ...yet to do so guys don't get to develope ...at least in game..especially when they don't live up to the hype and u can't close games to get these guys in ..like last year
Practice time is not 100% accurate to tell if a kid can truly play. Game action is the true barometer. Yeah if a kid's lazy in practice, he shouldn't play, but you don't know how a kid will do until the lights are on and the stands are packed. Hopefully the returning guys like Javin, White, and Vrank get some good action, and are productive. The team will definitely need the bench guys to contribute significantly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT