ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga Game Preview

I'd love to get their big guys in foul trouble. I don't think they have much depth, especially in the front court

I think we need to respect this Gonzaga team. Banchero isn’t going to dominate Timme the way a lot of people think. Chet isn’t some unprepared skinny freshman. It’s going to be a battle and a great test for our young team. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
Two positives:

zags only run 7 or 8 deep

zags aren’t a strong 3-point shooting team

Gonzaga is just an elite offensive team and I don't think our defense will slow them down, if we play pressure M2M. Not sure zone would even help that much.

Only question is if we can match their scoring enough.
Gonzaga was an elite offensive team last year but when they played a physical elite defense they got blew out. It’s looking like we have at least 3 elite defenders in our starting lineup. We are a physically built team as well. So I don’t see them just running through us like you are implying

I think we need to respect this Gonzaga team. Banchero isn’t going to dominate Timme the way a lot of people think. Chet isn’t some unprepared skinny freshman. It’s going to be a battle and a great test for our young team. Looking forward to it.
And Timme isn’t going to score 37 on Paolo either. The difference here is Paolo isn’t restricted to the paint and can guard the 3-5 position. Chet gets the nod a little in front of Williams but Duke has Johns that I do not think Chet can match his physicality . If Dukes defense on the ball continues then this will be who can stop the ball and rebound. It’s going to be a good game .

No one's saying we are getting blown out. It should be close. They play disciplined, so we will need to play that way as well. I think it will be a great measuring stick for us.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
No one's saying we are getting blown out. It should be close. They play disciplined, so we will need to play that way as well. I think it will be a great measuring stick for us.
Our guards just need to play within their strengths and Keels needs to put together his whole offensive game in this one along with Moore. Attacking and hitting three’s. Roach needs to come alive as well.

Reactions: christophero
Unlike Kentucky Gonzaga might zone us. They do play zone from time to time. Off topic I just saw Syracuse lost to Colgate by 15. Yikes. Colgate scored 100.

Last edited:
Ouch. The Orange zone is not stopping anyone, with guys like Boeheim and Girard and the transfer Swinder starting. Swinder is a nice player, kind of like Brakefield, but would not start at Duke. Just looked up their stats, they are both averaging 11ppg.

Last edited:
Roach needs to come alive as well.
Shey I think Jeremy's progress this year is perhaps pivotal to how far we go. I was looking at some MP's today, and didnt realize he was leading us in minutes played. I think he must become more of an offensive threat, so defenses cannot slough off of him. #GoDuke

OFC

I think AJ may eat into some of Roach's minutes as he improves. I like the Moore, Keels AJ line up. Roach will still play.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I certainly don't know the x's and o's like a lot of you and I say that with respect. According to the experts Gonzaga should be us. They may beat us by 3, 5 , 10 or even 15 to 20 but I like our chances. Some think we have a matchup problem like who's gonna guard Holgram etc. I don't know their personal. I think they may have a match up problem themselves. Whose gonna guard Bancharo, Moore, Keels, Williams or Griffin? I have really nothing to lose so I'm gonna say we beat them. If we don't so what. If we do I can say I told you so. K-ville's game thread should be intetesting. He's been doing it about 14 years I believe and never once have I picked Duke to lose. I've been wrong of course but I'm not gonna change just because they are ranked #1 in the country. I remember last year people saying that they were going undefeated and winning the natty was a done deal but Baylor just humiliated them. You just never know. OFC

Like I said guys, I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I just don't completely trust our defense against a team like Gonzaga. I don't think we'll keep them under 85 points, so we'll have to outscore them to win IMO.

But I'll admit much of this is the result of scar tissue, so to speak. This team has shown some signs defensively.

But I'm not there all the way yet.

The good news is I'm a terrible predictor so we should win 90-70. ;-)

I’m with bullet. Not completely sold on the defense yet seeing all the easy back door cuts gives me nightmares and I think that is the one area Gonzaga will try to exploit with their guards. However, that said it could be a Williams block party as well. I don’t see them beating Duke( that’s if they do ) by no more then ten.

Reactions: bullettoothtony
Like I said guys, I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I just don't completely trust our defense against a team like Gonzaga. I don't think we'll keep them under 85 points, so we'll have to outscore them to win IMO.

But I'll admit much of this is the result of scar tissue, so to speak. This team has shown some signs defensively.

But I'm not there all the way yet.

The good news is I'm a terrible predictor so we should win 90-70. ;-)
You could be right. I'm sure most of the experts will agree but I think we will win. They have deal with us also. I also know with the exception of UK we really haven't been tested. Agree back door cuts defense needs attention as well as guarding the three. So you pack it in a little to slow down the bsck doors but that makes it harder to get out on the three. Like I said in an earlier post we may lose by 5, 10 or 15 to 20 points but we could reverse those numbers any come early Saturday morning it is my wish that I can post "I told you so " instead of ok enough of talking about a loss and saying "next game? " OFC

Reactions: bullettoothtony
I think it'll come down to us rebounding and how the game will be called by the refs. We're a more physical team and if refs are calling ticky tack fouls then it'll be harder for us.

Reactions: IFaZe
Match up’s. We will see how Chet and Williams play on Friday. I think as far as size match up goes. I expect to see Johns on him alot . I think he is the key to wearing down Chet as long as he stays out of foul trouble.

I think it'll come down to us rebounding and how the game will be called by the refs. We're a more physical team and if refs are calling ticky tack fouls then it'll be harder for us.
I concur 100%. If they let these guys play and we out rebound then we win 100%. Buttt have we out rebounded anybody yet? Lol

This could be a year for Gonzaga like it was with UVA getting embarrassed the previous year. Or it could end up like it started , with a DUI lol

Dam Chris What you hiding in Mark Fews bushes? Is his wife smoking? Somehow I doubt it!
Nah I just live out here so I know a lot about them. Plus 2 of my friends are Zags fans. Believe me I will be rooting for us Friday.

Nah I just live out here so I know a lot about them. Plus 2 of my friends are Zags fans. Believe me I will be rooting for us Friday.
Never a doubt about your loyalties. You’re as true blue as they come. I just don’t think this game means much; I want to see how our guys match up and I always hate it when we have less pts than the other team but if we win it may be rat poison for our young guys to think they’re already good enough to cut down nets when if they lose this game it may be better come March

Gonzaga lost a lot last year. Kispert went 15th overall. Ayayi didn't get drafted, but was really good for them last year. Suggs was their toughest and maybe best player. That is a lot.

Tonight and Friday night will tell us a lot about who's who in college basketball at this point. Bigger question is who improves the most and who stays healthy.

I actually hope Gonzaga beats UCLA. I'd rather not have them coming off a loss when they know these games are the ones that will dictate their tournament seed. They'd be playing with an extra edge. Then again, they may play like that either way.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Looking forward to the Zags/UCLA....should be a great barometer for how good these teams are and what to expect when we play the Zags. Timme is a match up I want to watch since he has size but more so experience...we are young so how will that match up shake out. Zags play a very organized brand of ball under Few so it wont be a frenetic game, again good to watch and see what that will look like before we play them. I think the Zags win a close game < 5 pts

I like this Duke team but it’s early season - Zags by 8-12. That’ll likely be different if they see each other again in the tourney.

Slenderman Holmgren is very active on both ends despite his frame. It will be a good match up to watch with Paolo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT