ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga Game Preview

Duke dominanted the Zags this match.

Our upperclassmen played awful (Timme & Nembhard had 12 TO's by themselves) & while our young guns played decent, they either weren't ready for Duke's size, or stuck to limited mins (fouls, experience, etc)

Duke deserves credit for leading all 1st half. They played with more urgency, had a great gameplan, and just more muscle at key positions. It showed.

I do get the sense Gonzaga could potentially have a higher ceiling by season's end in terms of individual development/growth. We aren't nearly as good as last year, yet I feel we can be.

Paolo is Paolo. Already using his body, playing big mins, taking/making tough shots, etc. He can score more points yet he's already figured it out, so to speak. He's the current #1 pick, hands down.

Chet, Hickman, Strawther, Sallis, et al are freshman still learning their roles, bodies, and figuring how to play vs bigger players, like Duke. It started to show itself in 2nd half, yet too little too late. And Coach Few doesn't quite trust them yet. A mistake going to Timme late in game when younger/other talent were playing solidly.

Overall though, Duke was the better, and very obviously, the bigger team.

Duke's transition game shocked us. Did not expect the bigs to run the floor like they did. Weren't ready for it in the slightest.

Also, when the bigs hit longer jump shots early, it put a ton of extra pressure on team defense.

This game will propel Duke to #1. Deservedly so. Zags already beat two Top 5 teams this season. Duke on another level. The covid season seemed to provide the right seasoning for a few of your Sophomores too.

Honestly, this entire deal is Duke's, Purdue's, or Gonzaga's to lose this season. And as of right now, I put the two former in another Tier. Texas could jump up once they gel more.

It was a fun game, great atmosphere, and two good teams battling, yet Duke made more plays and consistently played better defense throughout.

Tough loss for Zags, yet a good "film session" type game, and humbling moment for the team.

Duke dominanted the Zags this match.

Our upperclassmen played awful (Timme & Nembhard had 12 TO's by themselves) & while our young guns played decent, they either weren't ready for Duke's size, or stuck to limited mins (fouls, experience, etc)

Duke deserves credit for leading all 1st half. They played with more urgency, had a great gameplan, and just more muscle at key positions. It showed.

I do get the sense Gonzaga could potentially have a higher ceiling by season's end in terms of individual development/growth. We aren't nearly as good as last year, yet I feel we can be.

Paolo is Paolo. Already using his body, playing big mins, taking/making tough shots, etc. He can score more points yet he's already figured it out, so to speak. He's the current #1 pick, hands down.

Chet, Hickman, Strawther, Sallis, et al are freshman still learning their roles, bodies, and figuring how to play vs bigger players, like Duke. It started to show itself in 2nd half, yet too little too late. And Coach Few doesn't quite trust them yet. A mistake going to Timme late in game when younger/other talent were playing solidly.

Overall though, Duke was the better, and very obviously, the bigger team.

Duke's transition game shocked us. Did not expect the bigs to run the floor like they did. Weren't ready for it in the slightest.

Also, when the bigs hit longer jump shots early, it put a ton of extra pressure on team defense.

This game will propel Duke to #1. Deservedly so. Zags already beat two Top 5 teams this season. Duke on another level. The covid season seemed to provide the right seasoning for a few of your Sophomores too.

Honestly, this entire deal is Duke's, Purdue's, or Gonzaga's to lose this season. And as of right now, I put the two former in another Tier. Texas could jump up once they gel more.

It was a fun game, great atmosphere, and two good teams battling, yet Duke made more plays and consistently played better defense throughout.

Tough loss for Zags, yet a good "film session" type game, and humbling moment for the team.

Gonzaga has the higher ceiling??? 🤣

Reactions: JimboSlice00
In terms of young talent coming into their own and taking over games, yes, I truly believe that.

Simply based on the 3 Duke games I've seen this year and the 5 I've seen from Gonzaga.

I know Duke will get better as a team as well, yet I see Chet, Nolan Hickman, Julian Strawther, Hunter Sallis growing more rapidly as a team and within the team over the course of a season, than I do from Keels, Paolo, Griffin, et al.

Those 3 on Duke are currently much better players yet they're already big strong and playing their part, as #1 and even #2 options. Our script is reversed for our young guys.

Zags have leaned on Nembhard and Timme, and just stratching the surface with young/new faces. Getting better every game.

I can't say the same, at least yet, about your Frosh. They are already the major players if u will

It could all be relative by season's end. Both will be terrific teams ready to make a run at a Championship.

I never once said Gonzaga was better or will be better. We don't know...I simply see a higher trajectory as a unit with our young guys gaining momentum, getting bigger/stronger, & more trust within our system, esp from Coach Few.

And there's a very good chance we cross paths again. Might not be til New Orleans yet I'd expect another great game. I thought Duke was 8-10 pts better this game, yet I also wouldn't expect Duke to score 24 pts off our 17 TO's while Zags scored 2 pts off your 7 TO's. I do anticipate that glaring stat to even out a bit more by then.

And part of that is our team developing the young guys...who were also 5*, Top 20 kids...just much smaller than your 5* Top 20 kids.

gonzaga has upside but so does duke.

we had a top 10 recruit in AJ Griffin who’s been hurt and barely contributed last night

it’s safe to say that if Paolo doesn’t cramp and AJ develops, we have just as high upside as anyone including gonzaga

Reactions: christophero
It’s about confidence. I was impressed with the game overall. That said this was Williams come out game against the possible number one pick and potential player of the year. He can only build off this game. Roach and Keels need to find their swag on both sides of the ball and put it together. AJ needs time and if he can come on during conference play Duke has interchangeable parts. It was a good game but Duke still has a lot of room to improve on both sides of the ball .

In terms of young talent coming into their own and taking over games, yes, I truly believe that.

Simply based on the 3 Duke games I've seen this year and the 5 I've seen from Gonzaga.

I know Duke will get better as a team as well, yet I see Chet, Nolan Hickman, Julian Strawther, Hunter Sallis growing more rapidly as a team and within the team over the course of a season, than I do from Keels, Paolo, Griffin, et al.

Those 3 on Duke are currently much better players yet they're already big strong and playing their part, as #1 and even #2 options. Our script is reversed for our young guys.

Zags have leaned on Nembhard and Timme, and just stratching the surface with young/new faces. Getting better every game.

I can't say the same, at least yet, about your Frosh. They are already the major players if u will

It could all be relative by season's end. Both will be terrific teams ready to make a run at a Championship.

I never once said Gonzaga was better or will be better. We don't know...I simply see a higher trajectory as a unit with our young guys gaining momentum, getting bigger/stronger, & more trust within our system, esp from Coach Few.

And there's a very good chance we cross paths again. Might not be til New Orleans yet I'd expect another great game. I thought Duke was 8-10 pts better this game, yet I also wouldn't expect Duke to score 24 pts off our 17 TO's while Zags scored 2 pts off your 7 TO's. I do anticipate that glaring stat to even out a bit more by then.

And part of that is our team developing the young guys...who were also 5*, Top 20 kids...just much smaller than your 5* Top 20 kids.
Are you sure you aren’t a unc fan. You sound strikingly similar to them.

Nah, he makes good points for the most part. We tend to not know, forget the youth other teams have too.

That said, AJ alone has as much improvement potential by himself as some other entire teams. AJ has lottery pick potential and gave us zero last night. AJ playing like a top 10 pick would be the final piece to our puzzle X 10.

@GoZags1 what happened to that confidence? You do realize you’re lucky paolo cramped up? 😀
Correct. Holmgrem may go onto be an Allstar I’m no Marty Blake but no way do I draft a guy with that body type top 3 lottery pick. He looks like a stiff wind could blow him over

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT