ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga Game Preview

christophero

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
May 2, 2017
I live in Washington state and I have seen a lot of Gonzaga. With Kentucky a big win this seems like a good time to discuss our next big opponent. They beat Dixie State easily yesterday, and the real season begins against Texas this weekend.
1. Chet Holmgren is the center. Laugh if you want at his thin frame, but he has a warrior mentality and a Kyle Singler type aggressive game. He seems to make at least one play per game you just don't see from a 7 footer. While weak he is not soft and is very crafty. I will assume him and Mark are about even, but Theo may give us the edge. Sleep on this guy at your own risk, he is for real. Insane length and skill. Ben Gregg is a 6-10 skilled guy off the bench who can play the 4 and 5.
2. Drew Timme. 6-10 preseason player of the year. A ton of experience. Averaged 19 per game in Final Four run. Very interesting match up with Banchero. I'd call it a draw. Junior Anton Watson is a guy off the bench to keep an eye on. He started some games last year. Could be an X factor.
3. Julian Strawther is a 6-7 sophomore wing that has made a big jump and is expected by some to be one of their leading scorers. Had 17 and 10 in the opener. Maybe an even match up with Moore. We also have AJ, but they have the transfer from Iowa State Bolton who averaged 17 a game last year. Bolton probably starts.
4. Andrew Nembhard. A 6-5 senior transfer from Florida. I think this is his third year at Gonzaga. Averaged 9 a game last year on a loaded team. The 2 guards who left took a lot of shots so I imagine he scores around 14 a game this year. My gut says advantage Keels, but I'm gonna say this one is even due to his experience. They also have Hunter Sallis the good freshman who can play point as well.
5. PG Nolan Hickman. Freshman top 20 guard. Slight edge over Roach.
We seem pretty even with them. They do have more experience in key spots, and probably shoot better from 3, which right now would make them a few point favorite. They are number one for a reason. But I think we could beat them, but they probably win 2 of 3 right now.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but let's get past Ohio State first. I know they should have lost the other night but they're ranked for a reason and are at home.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Watching the Gonzaga game now. Small sample size, but Holmgren might be their best player. Also impressed by Strawther and the PG Hickman. They shoot the ball well. Holmgren with 6 first half blocks. He has stretch armstrong arms.

Last edited:
I think Gonzaga is a more experienced team and Duke isn't really ready for them yet. Might be different in March or even April though. This will be a real test for Mark/John to stay out of foul trouble.

It's OK to have an early season loss so long as Duke learns from it.

Having said all of that, I 'll be rooting hard for the Good Guys, at least until I fall asleep (really late game for us Easterners).

Both teams will have some games under their belts. I'm expecting one great game and my heart will be in my throat from opening whistle to the final horn. Playing UK early may help Duke a lot. OFC

Gonzaga by playing Duke, UCLA and Texas are very much saying they wanna prove they are the best team in the Country and are willing to play anyone.
Gonzaga is deeper with talent than most teams and that will need to be shown against Texas and UCLA who are both deep. But against Duke they are going to prove their talent is better.
I do think based on experience that the Zagas have an edge and this might be a game where Duke has some foul issues and we all shall see if Jones and Blakes can hang

Reactions: christophero
I like those 2 but the answer is no. Our top 7 can definitely hang with them. To me they look like a deeper, longer, more athletic Nova. Depending on how certain players develop, they could be as good as or even better than last year's team. That said, we can still beat them, but as Jake said, they appear deeper so we have to avoid foul trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
That joke gets high Marks.
Watching the Gonzaga game now. Small sample size, but Holmgren might be their best player. Also impressed by Strawther and the PG Hickman. They shoot the ball well. Holmgren with 6 first half blocks. He has stretch armstrong arms.
It’s easy for Holgrem to look good against Dixie State. Let’s see what he looks like against Texas. Gonzaga will still have a big time height advantage but they’ve got some older transfers and some studs on that team. I’m more worried about Timme, Hickman, Strawther, and Bolton in the matchup with us. Think Texas is able to neutralize Gonzaga’s backcourt, but think Bolton and Timme beat them up down low.

Gonzaga by playing Duke, UCLA and Texas are very much saying they wanna prove they are the best team in the Country and are willing to play anyone.
Gonzaga is deeper with talent than most teams and that will need to be shown against Texas and UCLA who are both deep. But against Duke they are going to prove their talent is better.
I do think based on experience that the Zagas have an edge and this might be a game where Duke has some foul issues and we all shall see if Jones and Blakes can hang
They also have to schedule games like that early because their conf schedule is sh—. Can’t wait for the game but it may require some no doz to stay up that late

Thanks for the preview Chris, super helpful, and a fun read going into the game. Like any other top 10 pre-conference matchup, I just want to see us be competitive. Sure a second win against a preseason top 10 team would be amazing, but unless we got blown out or we blow them out it really doesn't mean much. I would rather a win against a strong team in March than I would in November. Gonzaga is a very good team, and it will be a test for our young guys. After a nice win against Kentucky, and assuming a good showing against the Zags......nobody is sleeping on Duke this year.

THIS Gonzaga team isn’t built like the 2019 or 2021 team. Though skilled, it takes a while for [some] HS players to get used to the physicality of the college game (as we saw last year). It will be a good game, but I’m not worried. Let’s see if they pass their test against quality opponents first. So far, we have.

I'm definitely not worried about us competing with them after the Kentucky game. I think the game will be close. But they are a smart team. We will need to do the little things right, like hitting free throws and avoiding cheap fouls. They have 2 legit guys at every position. Having AJ will help as they are deep and skilled on the wing. But so are we. I don't think they will lose to Texas as some are saying. They look a lot better than Kentucky to me. UCLA will be interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quavarius
Not saying they will be exactly the same, but Gonzaga reminds me of our ‘16 team that lost a lot of players from the title team and brought in a #1 ranked recruiting class and our best player was a tall and skinny OAD player (Brandon Ingram). It took Ingram a while to adjust and he was playing well by the end of the season. Chet certainly has more experience surrounding him than Ingram did, but I thought it was an interesting comparison.

Chet is better than Ingram. But yeah, I see the comparison. I was interested in Chet so I watched a lot of videos on him offseason. I doubted him big time. But the more I watched the more impressed I became. He enjoys proving people wrong. He likes dunking on people and big time guys were constantly taking it inside only to have it swatted away. His arms are so long he is very good at blocking without fouling. I've become a fan. I want him to do good against Texas. I hope he struggles against us. I imagine he will get pushed around a bit though. He is also a good passer so if you double team him Timme is going to get easy baskets.

Last edited:
Gonzaga has played zone before so I think we will see a zone when we play. We're going to see a lot of zone unless we can hit 3's.

After all my Chet gushing he gets 2 points against Texas.
Doesn’t mean you’re wrong about the kid. He had a subpar game. You have to remember some on here don’t want to hear any praise about our competition. Gonzaga is legit no matter what they say, and everyone knows you’re a Duke fan.

Chet is better than Ingram. But yeah, I see the comparison. I was interested in Chet so I watched a lot of videos on him offseason. I doubted him big time. But the more I watched the more impressed I became. He enjoys proving people wrong. He likes dunking on people and big time guys were constantly taking it inside only to have it swatted away. His arms are so long he is very good at blocking without fouling. I've become a fan. I want him to do good against Texas. I hope he struggles against us. I imagine he will get pushed around a bit though. He is also a good passer so if you double team him Timme is going to get easy baskets.
I got to ask. How is Chet better then Ingram? Two different positions and both only/will spend one year in college Chet showed me nothing against Texas except he is a freshman.

I got to ask. How is Chet better then Ingram? Two different positions and both only/will spend one year in college Chet showed me nothing against Texas except he is a freshman.
It wasn't a knock on Ingram they are both good. But Chet was higher ranked in high school and will probably go one or two in the draft. He may take some time, but Timme also scored close to 40 yesterday and Chet wasn't really needed. But I was disappointed he only had 2 points. He almost had a double double in the first half the game before, although the competition was not good. But I imagine he will have more double doubles as the season progresses. If he continues to struggle you may be right, but I think he will make big improvements.

Last edited:
It wasn't a knock on Ingram they are both good. But Chet was higher ranked in high school and will probably go one or two in the draft. He may take some time, but Timme also scored close to 40 yesterday and Chet wasn't really needed. But I was disappointed he only had 2 points. He almost had a double double in the first half the game before, although the competition was not good. But I imagine he will have more double doubles as the season progresses. If he continues to struggle you may be right, but I think he will make big improvements.
He’s rail thin and likes floating to the perimeter at times. It’s like most freshman he’s no longer the biggest guy on the floor. Just like the UK big did to Duke older bigs will bully Chet off the low block . Going one or two is simply off potential. Difference between Chet and Ingram. Ingram can play the three to four. Chet is a modern era center who needs to bulk up . I think Paolo got the best of him in their last match up. Timme worries me more then Chet .

I’m looking forward to watching Holmgren develop. I really like him (in a strictly platonic way). Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Maybe it's just me but let's get past Ohio State first. I know they should have lost the other night but they're ranked for a reason and are at home.

Oh yeah I forgot we play OSU first. The Gonzaga match up intrigues me though.
Actually we play Gonzaga first on the 26th then we play Ohio State on the 30th. I understand that those are both big gams for us but I thibk it’s a bit early to be talking about either of those games because we have 3 other games that we play before those 2 games.

Actually we play Gonzaga first on the 26th then we play Ohio State on the 30th. I understand that those are both big gams for us but I thibk it’s a bit early to be talking about either of those games because we have 3 other games that we play before those 2 games.
Yeah another poster called me out on it. My mistake.

Just my opinion. With time to prepare, K's craftiness could give the Zags FITS with small ball. Sure, I'm a Duke fan, but coached 15 years as well. Campbell gave us a fit, and nearly pulled it off.

In case of a meeting down the road in March or April, K may not choose to overplay his hand. Just go with the bigs and see what the heck happens. In K I TRUST, THE G.O.A.T.

OFC

Gonzaga beat Bellarmine last night 92-50. Not the best opponent, probably similar to ours. Timme had 25, Holmgren 18, and Strawther 19. Hickman and Nembhard with 9 and 8. Strawther and Moore should be a great match up.

Gonzaga is just an elite offensive team and I don't think our defense will slow them down, if we play pressure M2M. Not sure zone would even help that much.

Only question is if we can match their scoring enough.

I think we match up well enough. We need Banchero's A game because if Timme dominates that match up we're sunk. If we get a draw there we can win. Timme has been on fire early on. One concern is Timme getting us in foul trouble; he's pretty crafty around the rim. Chet has been slow out of the gate so Mark could have the advantage. The other 3 positions about even. AJ could be the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: bullettoothtony
I think we match up well enough. We need Banchero's A game because if Timme dominates that match up we're sunk. If we get a draw there we can win. Timme has been on fire early on. One concern is Timme getting us in foul trouble; he's pretty crafty around the rim. Chet has been slow out of the gate so Mark could have the advantage. The other 3 positions about even. AJ could be the difference.
Timme isn’t stopping Paolo . I’m not worried about Gonzaga . I think they squeak out a win over us but it’s not going to be a blow out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT