ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga Game Preview

Anyone know if Paolo ever played against Holmgren in any HS games? If so how did they match up?

Can we start saying that UCLA ain’t the second best team in America?

Hard to tell on a shooting night like this. They looked great in the win vs Nova though

The Dickie V opening before the game was awesome though. Great to see him back

Reactions: jnastasi
Zags up 22 on UCLA. We better eat our Wheaties Friday. Chet with 9 and 4 rebounds before the half.

Reactions: ioliva
Can we start saying that UCLA ain’t the second best team in America?
Maybe not but 4/5 starters from a final 4 team , they have to be pretty damn good. Definitely a top 10 squad and this makes 2 top 5 teams Gonzaga has destroyed….. debating if ucla is “ second Best” shouldn’t be the focus at all

Bruins down 20 despite shooting 15 more shots....a combination of good defense and poor shot selection. Zags very efficient on the offensive end. We will have to rebound way better than we have shown and concentrate on every possession. It will be a great barometer to see how we can raise our play to this level or not. I tip my cap to Few for the way his teams always seem to be at a high level

Reactions: christophero
I do think we have a shot to win, but a big halftime deficit is also possible if we don't focus. They did this to Texas as well. Both games were over at halftime. My guess is we play them close; but they play very disciplined so we will need to as well. It would be an incredible win. We just cannot play young. I think we will give them a great game and it will be close.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ and ioliva
I seem to remember something from a summer game, they were both going at it pretty good. Banchero is better right now, but Chet looks like he's figuring it out fast like Mark did last year.

I seem to remember something from a summer game, they were both going at it pretty good. Banchero is better right now, but Chet looks like he's figuring it out fast like Mark did last year.
F/// hmgren Y’all act like he is the second coming of laettner or something. Jesus! He couldn’t hold mark Alaries jock

I hope we win by 20 and dunk all over Holmgren. I also can give credit where it is due. We have more size than UCLA, but I am surprised UCLA's guards are struggling so much. I like UCLA way better than the Zags, I'm just giving my observations.

Reactions: KDSTONE
A final four team with 4 starters back? (actually 5 but their center is injured)

My opinion on beating Gonzaga is Duke needs to be very physical with them. UCLA has played way too soft.
The other thing is you have to get back on defense.

I certainly don't know the x's and o's like a lot of you and I say that with respect. According to the experts Gonzaga should be us. They may beat us by 3, 5 , 10 or even 15 to 20 but I like our chances. Some think we have a matchup problem like who's gonna guard Holgram etc. I don't know their personal. I think they may have a match up problem themselves. Whose gonna guard Bancharo, Moore, Keels, Williams or Griffin? I have really nothing to lose so I'm gonna say we beat them. If we don't so what. If we do I can say I told you so. K-ville's game thread should be intetesting. He's been doing it about 14 years I believe and never once have I picked Duke to lose. I've been wrong of course but I'm not gonna change just because they are ranked #1 in the country. I remember last year people saying that they were going undefeated and winning the natty was a done deal but Baylor just humiliated them. You just never know. OFC
You are correct skysdad. I like our chances too! Keels and Paula will dominate who ever dui boy puts on the ever side of them. Duke in a blowout These guys went to Gonzaga for a reason. Dumb. Not ready for the big time Christoph this game means nothing. Duke gonna work the jokes silly!!

Anyone know if Paolo ever played against Holmgren in any HS games? If so how did they match up?
Yes and Paolo got the best of him.

I don’t want Paolo on Chet he needs to guard Timme and let’s Dukes two bigs guard Chet. K might have also cut back on Griffins time last game to make sure he’s healthy against Gonzaga . Throwing him and Paolo at Timme . I don’t think Timme ever faced a duo like that and Chet hasn’t seen a switch of Williams and Johns. Guard play decides this game and I give the defensive edge to Duke.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Duke cannot fall behind with a slow start. Gonzaga doesn't let up (I'm guessing most of their starters knows there's someone on the bench dying to play if the starter lets up) so it will be almost impossible to come back.

I feel we need to shoot well to have a good chance. Not only from 3 but the midrange game Moore and Banchero thrive on.

I think we can handle Timme and Holmgren with our size, the issue may be matching up with Nembhard who seems like the type of guard that gives us fits. We don't really have a defender to try to shut him down all game so the key is going to be stopping him from driving somehow. So definite match up issues for us...but hopefully we have the same for them on the offensive end with our talent. After last night I have no idea how this one turns out, except that it will be a great game to watch

Let’s throw Stanley Borden at Holmgren, fouling the ish out of Chet. Beat him with 5 quick fouls. Then unleash Mark and Theo on him.....

Reactions: IFaZe
I absolutely love Dukes chances here!! I think Gonzaga is VERY GOOD! I also think they shot better then their going to most nights. On top of that UCLA is not the 2nd best team in the nation right now- and did not play well vs the zags.

I really think our size and ability to be physical is going bother Gonzaga.

Nation will be on alert cone sat am!! Go Duke

Just saw that UCLA missed 25 of their first 31 FG, and shot 27% in the first half.

Ain't no way that was all Gonzaga's defense.

You're not going to be competitive with them with such rotten offense. That's just pitiful.

Reactions: sheyduke
Bring it. I’m not worried about Gonzaga but this will for sure be a grown man game. Who ever brings the physicality defense wise( hopefully Duke continues their defensive on slot) wins this game .

Reactions: Duke1783
Just watch the first 3 min of the game…Terrible offense and defense. Bad shot selection, bad decisions, passing, spacing. And they shot the ball bad period and missed some good looks. They played soft. Their defense looks lazy and got bullied. They won’t the number 2 team in the country last night. As for Gonzaga and the #1 recruit tall lanky dude I’m not impressed at all and have 0 worry about him playing us. Sure hes 7 foot 130 lbs and can take the ball up the court and and handle it at turtle speed….Am I supposed to be in awwwhh… We will shut him down without even game planning to do so. All we have to do is hold them to one shot on defense. And get back on offense after a (MADE) or missed shot. Obviously play good defense. I know they will being in the big spotlight after 4 days of rest they’ll bring the intensity against the #1 team in the country and try to make a statement. My keys to the game …Go deep in the bench so legs stay fresh. Get back on D! And rebound like we’re supposed to and we win the game. We’re to big, physical, and athletic for them to beat us IMO. The refs could have an impact too

I like our chances. Yeah UCLA was a final four team last year - but they were an 11 seed that made it to the final four and last year was too weird a year for any carryover ranking to me.

Now I am not saying Gonzaga is not very good. They look very good to me. But I think - I THINK - Duke is a bad matchup for them. I'd like to see us play some bully ball with our strength.

I like our chances. Yeah UCLA was a final four team last year - but they were an 11 seed that made it to the final four and last year was too weird a year for any carryover ranking to me.

Now I am not saying Gonzaga is not very good. They look very good to me. But I think - I THINK - Duke is a bad matchup for them. I'd like to see us play some bully ball with our strength.
Totally agree. They had a nice win against Villanova but ultimately last season they just got hot at the right time. They look small to me. I don't think we will look small, but this will be a huge challenge for us. I like our chances though, and hope we play physical and possibly get one of their bigs in foul trouble. That would be enormous considering their post depth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT