ADVERTISEMENT

Final UNC AFAM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know how much Bilas dislikes how the NCAA is. A question though, how often did he say what the Holes did was wrong, even if it was found to be legal in the end? I'm asking, but did he ever criticize the Holes? He criticized how the Grayson dilemma last season was handled, but maybe it's my blue devil goggles I wear but I haven't heard him be critical of Roy and the program.
In a nutshell, Jay Bilas is the salt in the wound, or that's how it looks

Reactions: hart2chesson
We all know how much Bilas dislikes how the NCAA is. A question though, how often did he say what the Holes did was wrong, even if it was found to be legal in the end? I'm asking, but did he ever criticize the Holes? He criticized how the Grayson dilemma last season was handled, but maybe it's my blue devil goggles I wear but I haven't heard him be critical of Roy and the program.
He’s said more then once he disapproved of what UNC did. But if his goal is to disparage the NCAA , it weakens his case to mention any of unc’s wrong doings. He kept a laser focus on the NCAA.

Bilas spoke the UNC AGENDA mind, and the line his boss, his UNC law firm colleagues and golf buddy Roy wanted to hear...So proud of Alarie for bucking his ex teammate!

OFC

No, he didn’t.

And please quit saying this had anything to do with his boss being UNC alum John Skipper. I mean, seriously? That borders on some of the insane things I hear UNC fans claim about K.

Lastly, as has been pointed out multiple times, Bilas has said what UNC did was deplorable. He also said that’s not what was on trial. You’re either ignoring that point or unable to decipher it....I’m starting to think it’s the latter.

does the jay in dukiejay stand for jay bilas :)

Well played.

I disagree with Jay a lot. Most of the time I think he comes across pompous and arrogant even when I do agree with him. But, I’m able to also have a rational thought. Some Duke fans have made this about Jay vs. Duke, or Jay’s love for UNC. (It was hard to even type that last line without chuckling).

Jay Bilas loves Duke. He respects no one more than K. He speaks and raises money for and on behalf of Duke University all the time. He’s as proud a Duke alum as there is and as big a fan as any of us on this board.

He’s said more then once he disapproved of what UNC did. But if his goal is to disparage the NCAA , it weakens his case to mention any of unc’s wrong doings. He kept a laser focus on the NCAA.

He still should have kept an eye more on collegiate curriculum, and called on coaches, presidents, chancellors, etc to have preventative measures to prevent more UNC type shenanigans. OFC

He still should have kept an eye more on collegiate curriculum, and called on coaches, presidents, chancellors, etc to have preventative measures to prevent more UNC type shenanigans. OFC

No, he didn’t.

And please quit saying this had anything to do with his boss being UNC alum John Skipper. I mean, seriously? That borders on some of the insane things I hear UNC fans claim about K.

Lastly, as has been pointed out multiple times, Bilas has said what UNC did was deplorable. He also said that’s not what was on trial. You’re either ignoring that point or unable to decipher it....I’m starting to think it’s the latter.

Well played.

I disagree with Jay a lot. Most of the time I think he comes across pompous and arrogant even when I do agree with him. But, I’m able to also have a rational thought. Some Duke fans have made this about Jay vs. Duke, or Jay’s love for UNC. (It was hard to even type that last line without chuckling).

Jay Bilas loves Duke. He respects no one more than K. He speaks and raises money for and on behalf of Duke University all the time. He’s as proud a Duke alum as there is and as big a fan as any of us on this board.

Listen how about laying off some of your PERSONAL REMARKS toward posters, be it "reading comprehension," "eating too many paint chips," "behaving like your 3 yr old," calling folks "stupid," "insane," etc. Very unbecoming and others are talking about it. Keep it up, others will continue to suck up to you ONLY because you're a mod. Ban me, fine, I will have good company in Heyman....OFC

I can promise you almost no school wanted the NCAA involved with setting course rigor. Silently, a lot are happy UNC got away with it. This happens much more than you realize. Maybe not to this level, but it happens and the schools don’t want the NCAA sniffing around

Reactions: SorryNotSorry
Listen how about laying off some of your PERSONAL REMARKS toward posters, be it "reading comprehension," "eating too many paint chips," "behaving like your 3 yr old," calling folks "stupid," "insane," etc. Very unbecoming and others are talking about it. Keep it up, others will continue to suck up to you ONLY because you're a mod. Ban me, fine, I will have good company in Heyman....OFC

Lighten up, Francis. This is a message board.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
And I maintain my feelings about Bilas-Skipper.....Thats a paycheck baby....Remember as you yourself said DJ, "this is a message board." My opinion is just as valid as yours...OFC

197.gif

Well thought out...He never called out Roy specifically for accountability at all on the matter. He's afraid to burn that bridge. OFC

Am I going to have to send you boys to your rooms without any supper,T.V or video games. Come on both of you are two of my favorites posters and don't either one of you say "he started it. OFC

Sky I have no problem debating as long as things stay on topic. I know its "just a message board," but I have made a lot of friends here, and its like extended family in respect. Think how we all picked up Mac during the time his young daughter underwent an operation. Folks came together, for that little girl!!!

Then on another hand we're told to be so respectful of THR posters, yet then the same folks attack us personally and qu e stion our sanity, etc. Sure its a message board, but we can do better.

Now Sky, you're one of my faves too AMONG MANY, and I hope you respect my views. Rant over.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad and Mac9192
Am I going to have to send you boys to your rooms without any supper,T.V or video games. Come on both of you are two of my favorites posters and don't either one of you say "he started it. OFC

Sorry, skysdad....you’re one of my favorites too.

(But, he started it.) :D

Reactions: skysdad
I will take the high road here....:D

OFC

I wish we all could go to CTC together and sit at the same table. You know why. Because I really love you both and I really love me some show.. OFC

Last edited:
UNC has to put players on fake schedules to compete with us. They are sad. We are going to roll those clowns in their own dingy dome.

So UNC needs all these "fake" classes to keep athletes eligible so they can compete. Let me ask this: how often do you hear of top players from Division 1 schools not being able to play due to academic eligibility issues? All the other schools have none of those issues and, to boot, avoid them without having "fake" classes or even any unauthorized help. Impressive. UNC truly must recruit only players whose IQ is 2SD below the mean. Even NC State doesn't have this issue. Even with players like Julius Hodge who makes comments like, "when we honegry (sic), we eat!" Lol.

So UNC needs all these "fake" classes to keep athletes eligible so they can compete. Let me ask this: how often do you hear of top players from Division 1 schools not being able to play due to academic eligibility issues? All the other schools have none of those issues and, to boot, avoid them without having "fake" classes or even any unauthorized help. Impressive. UNC truly must recruit only players whose IQ is 2SD below the mean. Even NC State doesn't have this issue. Even with players like Julius Hodge who makes comments like, "when we honegry (sic), we eat!" Lol.
Well unx has former "student athletes" that say " the ceiling is the roof"!

So hypothetically, UL could go give 150k to a regular student and then buy one or two regular students a stripper and they would be in the clear? Since those benefits were also offered to the regular student body, UL would of done no wrong, correct?

Well unx has former "student athletes" that say " the ceiling is the roof"!
That fails to address my point. I've said that UNC must recruit players with IQs 2SD below the mean. But statistics say that leaves more players who are also at that same level. So how do we explain that, apparently, all these other schools have no issues with eligibility?

Notre Dame recently "forfeited" a basketball season and a football season by booting starting players of the team for academic issues. The one D lineman probably did more academic work to get back on the team the following year than UNC's entire 05 Champ team and the NCA ruled him ineligible!

K has sat multiple players in the past for not working up to his standards even though they met basic NCAA GPA eligibility and ACC standards.

Dale Brown booted Stanley Robinson off the team for not going to class. That team with Shaq had big time aspirations. Kind of bad when an SEC team has higher standards.

That fails to address my point. I've said that UNC must recruit players with IQs 2SD below the mean. But statistics say that leaves more players who are also at that same level. So how do we explain that, apparently, all these other schools have no issues with eligibility?
Every school has easy majors for lesser prepared students. Most schools make their athletes attend a real class, even if pretty easy. McCants didn't seem like he even wanted to take fake courses, but says he was told to do it.

Yes he did. He called it “academic fraud from the get-go.” He even knows WHY they did it. IOW , he doesn’t buy the “academic not athletic” rationale that too many unx fans suggest either. What he says is , basically , that unx drove thru a loophole big enough for an aircraft carrier but the NCAA is outta their jurisdiction trying to regulate class rigor. He has no illusions about what happened and why.

Notre Dame recently "forfeited" a basketball season and a football season by booting starting players of the team for academic issues. The one D lineman probably did more academic work to get back on the team the following year than UNC's entire 05 Champ team and the NCA ruled him ineligible!

K has sat multiple players in the past for not working up to his standards even though they met basic NCAA GPA eligibility and ACC standards.

Have specific examples of star players who were benched for GPA?

Until NOW when has unc had problems with player eligibility due to academics? I recall a scrub named Geoff Crumpton from a hundred years ago that had issues. Leslie MacDonald was penalized a game or two but that was AFTER all this came to light. Dollars to doughnuts , if none of this was revealed , MacDonald never misses a second.

Every school has easy majors for lesser prepared students. Most schools make their athletes attend a real class, even if pretty easy. McCants didn't seem like he even wanted to take fake courses, but says he was told to do it.

So they just put on the appearance? What does it matter if they attend class but sleep or play on their computer the entire time? Further, most classes at large universities don't take attendance. If you take whatever tests there are and turn in any required papers, that is the sole basis of your grade.

Until NOW when has unc had problems with player eligibility due to academics? I recall a scrub named Geoff Crumpton from a hundred years ago that had issues. Leslie MacDonald was penalized a game or two but that was AFTER all this came to light. Dollars to doughnuts , if none of this was revealed , MacDonald never misses a second.
And the same holds true for most Division 1 schools across the country.

Have specific examples of star players who were benched for GPA?
Another issue never addressed...unx’s Jack Evans was an architect of the APR system for addressing athletic eligibility. The same system that penalized UCONN. He knew the “soft spots.” He knew how to game it. That chicanery was built in too. While UCONN ( and others ) are doing what they need to do in compliance , unx is runnin’ the paper class scam , reporting artificially-inflated scores and writing bonus checks to Roy because his guys are doing so well academically. Topping off that crap , unx tells the NCAA that their admission to SACS of “academic fraud” was a “typo.” smh. Shameless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT