ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Talk about a major let down for Butler going from the beautiful confines of San Diego to going to the boring redneck country of Lexington
Deliverance Dueling Banjos GIF

• Haha
Reactions: bullcity gamer
Pisgah, my very first encounter with Kentucky fans was at the 2015 final four semi finals. My father and I were checking into the hotel we were staying at in Indianapolis. We had not said a single word to a group of kentucky fans hanging out in the lobby and they just start running their mouths to us. Then at the games that same night at Lucas Oil, some of the older Kentucky fans were saying racial slurs to Duke fans. At the State Farm Champions Classic, I’ve witnessed live at the games, Kentucky fans instigating fights with fans of opposing teams both in 22 (Indianapolis) and 23 (Chicago). I have zero tolerance for racist individuals.

I don't think Poplar would be a good fit. There was a lot of NIL drama swirling around Miami, and I'd rather just get a guy happy with his role. A better version of Blakes. A physical guard. A smaller name will probably not scare off the freshman.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Pisgah, my very first encounter with Kentucky fans was at the 2015 final four semi finals. My father and I were checking into the hotel we were staying at in Indianapolis. We had not said a single word to a group of kentucky fans hanging out in the lobby and they just start running their mouths to us. Then at the games that same night at Lucas Oil, some of the older Kentucky fans were saying racial slurs to Duke fans. At the State Farm Champions Classic, I’ve witnessed live at the games, Kentucky fans instigating fights with fans of opposing teams both in 22 (Indianapolis) and 23 (Chicago). I have zero tolerance for racist individuals.

That's odd, because I live in Kentucky and sport Duke gear all the time and have never had one person say a word to me good or bad.... 🤷‍♂️

There is also the thing about the fans of uk calling and harassing John Higgins’ roofing business after they lost to Unc in 2017. 1) that’s illegal and 2) it’s stupidity

I don't think Poplar would be a good fit. There was a lot of NIL drama swirling around Miami, and I'd rather just get a guy happy with his role. A better version of Blakes. A physical guard. A smaller name will probably not scare off the freshman.
Agree with you on the guard you would like to see Jon bring in. I’ve been saying we already have ten guys. Sure, six are unproven, but Jon has added two skilled transfers. Some on here seem to conveniently forget everyone can’t play.

And the more talent you bring in, the harder it is to have chemistry.

Agree with you on the guard you would like to see Jon bring in. I’ve been saying we already have ten guys. Sure, six are unproven, but Jon has added two skilled transfers. Some on here seem to conveniently forget everyone can’t play.

And the more talent you bring in, the harder it is to have chemistry.
Just need some good team players and role players.

Reactions: Mac9192
Oh wow that would do it! That’s nuts!

My least favorite teams are UNC and Kentucky hands down. It’s their fan bases that causes the dislike. Wish they lost every game
I don’t like the way either fan base acts. However, in my experience, unc fans are much worse than uk fans. Worst fans in order: phillies, unc, and Maryland back when they had a basketball team.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I would add Red Sox fans to the list. I did not have good experiences driving around Boston with NY plates. A bunch of Mark Wahlbergs with a pathological hatred of the Yankees and looking to get in fights.

Chris, I can definitely see Red Sox fans acting the way you describe them.
I also got beat up on a Boston playground when I was 10 or so visiting my aunt. Not badly, but knocked the wind out of me. So yes, I will always have a dim view of Boston. I did have fun up there in my 20's, but left my Yankee hat at home. it is a city with great history I will say.
Back on topic there is some Kadary Richmond/Duke chatter on Duke Forum. Seton Hall PG averaged 15, 7 and 5. Several schools are chasing him. HALLpasshoops.com is predicting he may end up at Duke. Just speculation at this point.
Cade Tyson to the Tar Heels.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tik Tok
I can see why the coaching staff wants to add 1-2 more players. They want to have enough players available to have 5 on 5 scrimmages at practices. 12 players allow you to do so especially when injuries are not a rare thing.

Amen. And like so many of you have said expect some 🤬 injuries as it’s Duke. They don’t even get winter colds at other schools but the glass feet syndrome continues yearly in Durham and I’m not talking the Cinderella slipper kind of feet.

The portal closes today. I'm really concerned Duke may not get anyone. Are there any 3 or 4 star freshmen without a school? Of course meet the academic requirements, but looking to learn and be part of a system? Do you think any of our transfers may want to come back?

The portal closes today. I'm really concerned Duke may not get anyone. Are there any 3 or 4 star freshmen without a school? Of course meet the academic requirements, but looking to learn and be part of a system? Do you think any of our transfers may want to come back?
The entry portal closes today . So if you haven’t entered the portal you can’t do so after today. If you already entered you simply have until enrollment period to find another school.

I don’t believe any of our portal guys are coming back. Sounds like sean is between Georgetown/Osu and Power is visiting Boston college

Reactions: jamsession2
There is minutes available for a portal guard. As been stated plenty of times, due to injuries especially at Duke you need more depth. Last season Duke used 4 guards playing major minutes. Obviously there might be a shift away from 3 guards. But I’m sure we see some games Duke will have to play small due to matchups. I see major guard minutes for Proctor and Foster. I can see Evans getting good minutes at the 2/3 spot. Harris and Kon is the unknown right now. Are they able to make to jump to college ball or would they have limitations playing guard defensively? If Duke is able to get Wooga Poplar that could really setup in case of injury or players not ready at this level. He would be a huge addition to the roster. You never know freshman to freshman.

Reactions: Dattier
There’s no room to add another good player, unless several kids hardly ever play. Power and Stewart were highly rated and played very little on a team that was just ok.
Nine or ten kids will possibly play meaningful minutes in blow outs, or early in the season. Seven or eight will play in tight games, and as the season gets into January.

I understand what you are saying but you can’t have just a 10 man roster. If for injuries alone. If one of Proctor or Foster gets injured again the season will be seriously in danger. Last season Duke survived those injuries because they had 4 big time guards. Why waste the three scholarships when every other school is taking on 11 or 12 spots. All you can do is hope Kon, Harris or whoever might have limited roles on this team next season. Or until they earn those minutes. Guess we will have to see what Coach Scheyer thinks is best for his team.

If you were in the portal and saw that there were 6 highly touted freshmen coming in, and 2 returning PGs...plus a couple of transfers already...would you sign up? Transfers want to play..not sit...and our scenario right now is not conducive to that...
Great Point!

I understand what you are saying but you can’t have just a 10 man roster. If for injuries alone. If one of Proctor or Foster gets injured again the season will be seriously in danger. Last season Duke survived those injuries because they had 4 big time guards. Why waste the three scholarships when every other school is taking on 11 or 12 spots. All you can do is hope Kon, Harris or whoever might have limited roles on this team next season. Or until they earn those minutes. Guess we will have to see what Coach Scheyer thinks is best for his team.
There must be a few decent 3 star guards left to learn a system and be part of great tradition.

Hopefully Coach is working the portal in the background. I’m positive he is working to improve his roster. There are some good guards out there 3 star or 4 star. I know Poplar was one he was in contact with. Not sure how far it has gone. All the others that have been mentioned have stayed, committed elsewhere or Duke passed.

Duke simply needs a combo that’s it . I think the staff is working the portal game to where they are showing the incoming class that there will be minutes to play . You start doing like most of these schools getting alot of portal players watch how many of the same portal players go right back to the portal next season . One combo guard and that’s 11 players . Role with that .

I never said we only need ten guys. What I've said is everyone can't play. I hope Jon can find a point guard from a small school, and maybe a project big, where they would be ok with being practice players, or on small occasions, filling in.
No title hunting team is ten deep in good talent though. None. There will be 6-7 good players, and on the really good ones, there's also a couple stars.

On the subject of injuries, name a team that isn't an injury away from their point guard to being mediocre to slightly above.

An example if UNC lost RJ, it would definitely hurt them but they do have depth to plug in with Ian, Drake, Seth. That’s two 5 stars and their sixth man last year. Now would they be title contenders no one knows. But they would definitely be in better shape than Duke losing Proctor or Foster. Just my opinion.

Just curious,,,,when does the portal close?
OFC
It closed today for entry . You have to choose a school I believe before enrollment of the school session unless summer school is required.

Foster and proctor along with Harris , Knup and Evans is a strong back court even if you remove Evans from the backcourt you simply need a combo and there are still a lot of players who have declared for the draft that will pull out and I think that date to withdrawal is later in May or early first of June .

Reactions: Willcampbell
It closed today for entry . You have to choose a school I believe before enrollment of the school session unless summer school is required.

Foster and proctor along with Harris , Knup and Evans is a strong back court even if you remove Evans from the backcourt you simply need a combo and there are still a lot of players who have declared for the draft that will pull out and I think that date to withdrawal is later in May or early first of June .
Thank you.
OFC

Duke simply needs a combo that’s it . I think the staff is working the portal game to where they are showing the incoming class that there will be minutes to play . You start doing like most of these schools getting alot of portal players watch how many of the same portal players go right back to the portal next season . One combo guard and that’s 11 players . Role with that .
I can respect that.

Reactions: sheyduke
If you were in the portal and saw that there were 6 highly touted freshmen coming in, and 2 returning PGs...plus a couple of transfers already...would you sign up? Transfers want to play..not sit...and our scenario right now is not conducive to that...
Look at what Kansas has done. They aren’t having any problems bringing in top portal players and are returning 3-4 starters including Dickinson. Cal at Arkansas is loading up. Indiana is loading up. We’ve got more minutes that we need filled than any of those schools outside of Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT