ADVERTISEMENT

Final UNC AFAM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully expected a slap on the wrist but they didn't even get that. So now I have a question since the NCAA did nothing and said regular students benefited too could a university not create an entire program that's paper classes and funnel all athletes through it? They basically said that's okay right as long as some others took it

Yes if a university wants to create a sham department with fake classes as long as they say those courses are legit and put non-athletes in those classes then its all good. What is ridiculous is that UNCHeat can fire their AFAM program back up and running just like before and there's not a damn thing that can be done about it!

The NCAA is a parody of itself. If I were Memphis, I'd be hanging our banner back up.

Yes if a university wants to create a sham department with fake classes as long as they say those courses are legit and put non-athletes in those classes then its all good. What is ridiculous is that UNCHeat can fire their AFAM program back up and running just like before and there's not a damn thing that can be done about it!

This is so sadly true... What a bad time for the college game off the court and behind the scenes. OFC

Only so far as the NCAA is concerned. UNC did get punished for this - probation from the accreditation agency. It is sort of a "too big to fail" situation. Truly, degrees should have been deemed illegitimate. But UNC is too big for the accreditation agency to do that. That truly would have been a big deal.
UNC played this exactly right. They admitted all fault to the accreditation agency because those folks have teeth. Basically, "we are really sorry we let this happen and we will fix it."
UNC then turns around and tells the NCAA to kiss their ass. A conspiracy theorist would argue it's another "too big to fail" situation there. I think they just called the NCAA's bluff. If I am a member school, I NEVER fess up to any wrong doing or self impose any punishments, ever again.

This doesn't open the door for schools to create sham programs. The schools would be in big trouble (well, trouble enough to get probation if the school is too big to hammer) with accreditation.

Only so far as the NCAA is concerned. UNC did get punished for this - probation from the accreditation agency. It is sort of a "too big to fail" situation. Truly, degrees should have been deemed illegitimate. But UNC is too big for the accreditation agency to do that. That truly would have been a big deal.
UNC played this exactly right. They admitted all fault to the accreditation agency because those folks have teeth. Basically, "we are really sorry we let this happen and we will fix it."
UNC then turns around and tells the NCAA to kiss their ass. A conspiracy theorist would argue it's another "too big to fail" situation there. I think they just called the NCAA's bluff. If I am a member school, I NEVER fess up to any wrong doing or self impose any punishments, ever again.

This doesn't open the door for schools to create sham programs. The schools would be in big trouble (well, trouble enough to get probation if the school is too big to hammer) with accreditation.

Disagree somewhat....SACS doesnt have the power or stones to shut down a P5.....ONE YEAR PROBATION???? That and 75 cents will get Roy a Coke....OFC

I haven't kept up with this as some here have, but I'm not surprised about the ruling at all. I think Bilas has really helped them, pounding his fist in support of the Holes and Ol Roy every chance he has.
The only thing we can do is move forward, and hope we spank them every time we play them.
I really wish I could be at Cameron on March 3rd. I suspect the Crazies will have something entertaining for Ol Roy and the Holes, followed up by our boys beating them like a rented drum.

Bilas was the point man for UNC in the broadcast media, I concur Mac...Bless his heart....OFC

Disagree somewhat....SACS doesnt have the power or stones to shut down a P5.....ONE YEAR PROBATION???? That and 75 cents will get Roy a Coke....OFC
SACS doesn't have the power or stones to shut them down. They do have the power to pull accreditation (rendering degrees essentially worthless). We agree on the stones part. BUT, if UNC acted like they have with the NCAA in the face of SACS, I can't imagine UNC being that bold. A "death penalty" situation from your accreditation agency is a much worse thing than from the NCAA.

The NCAA is a joke. If it wasn't for Duke basketball, my interest in collegiate sports would be zero. Duke plays in the ACC, which is basically a semi-pro league. Start paying the players.

The SACS probation is humiliating and it accounts for why unx’s retention rate with academicians is lower than it has been in the past. Schools wanna attract ( and keep! ) top academic talent too. Thing is , your garden-variety WalMarter ( AND , apparently , your garden-variety Rams Clubber ) could give 2 sheets about such matters. #JustWinBaby If it was Duke , I’d be humiliated but after 7 years we’ve seen that unx’ers can’t be humiliated.

Reactions: dukephysics
I am in disbelief right now. I don't know what I expected, but I thought they'd get in SOME form of trouble. I mean honestly, at this point we should just hand Zion Williamson $50,000 then give a student $50,000 to match it, it'll equal out and we won't get in any trouble.

The SACS probation is humiliating and it accounts for why unx’s retention rate with academicians is lower than it has been in the past. Schools wanna attract ( and keep! ) top academic talent too. Thing is , your garden-variety WalMarter ( AND , apparently , your garden-variety Rams Clubber ) could give 2 sheets about such matters. #JustWinBaby If it was Duke , I’d be humiliated but after 7 years we’ve seen that unx’ers can’t be humiliated.

Bottom line the SACS probation wasnt a tick on the rump to UNC Athletics folks OR the NCAA....Made no difference...OFC

[QUOTE="dukephysics, post: 11210471, member: 30031 A "death penalty" situation from your accreditation agency is a much worse thing than from the NCAA.[/QUOTE]

But it was never to happen....Podunk u yeah, but not where the money is....OFC

Is he wrong, though? Or are you mad that he’s a Duke guy saying this?
I think hes wrong in the sense that the courses were NEVER ADVERTISED to general student body. Proves Dean created it to keep athletes eligible. JMO

OFC

Reactions: SWEc/o95

Good point. I wasn't thinking about the accreditation agency.

[QUOTE="dukephysics, post: 11210471, member: 30031 A "death penalty" situation from your accreditation agency is a much worse thing than from the NCAA.

But it was never to happen....Podunk u yeah, but not where the money is....OFC[/QUOTE]
I agree.
My point was, UNC did not create some magic blueprint for how to do this. Schools aren't going to be creating bogus programs and steering all their athletes there (along with a roughly equal number of non-athletes) and getting away with it. The accreditation agencies shut that stuff down.
I think what UNC did do is strip away any credibility the NCAA will have going forward. I would refuse to accept ANY punishment from them without making it an enormous legal battle.
How can the NCAA continue to exist as is when on the same day they hand our zero punishment to UNC, they prevent a kid who took summer school classes from participating this year?:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...man-braxton-beverly-ineligible-2017-18-season

I suddenly have an awful headache, back pain and diarrhea , constipation.

At least we know what they did even if they will not admit it. They will forever be called the Cheats.

Reactions: hart2chesson
But it was never to happen....Podunk u yeah, but not where the money is....OFC
I agree.
My point was, UNC did not create some magic blueprint for how to do this. Schools aren't going to be creating bogus programs and steering all their athletes there (along with a roughly equal number of non-athletes) and getting away with it. The accreditation agencies shut that stuff down.
I think what UNC did do is strip away any credibility the NCAA will have going forward. I would refuse to accept ANY punishment from them without making it an enormous legal battle.
How can the NCAA continue to exist as is when on the same day they hand our zero punishment to UNC, they prevent a kid who took summer school classes from participating this year?:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...man-braxton-beverly-ineligible-2017-18-season[/QUOTE]

When did SACS last shut a P5 SCHOOL down for such shenanigans. I am not talking SACS anyway- they didnt make the ruling. Besides others can pull from the UNC plan, and who knows perhaps hide it EVEN BETTER. SACS would have been clueless w/o Dan Kane and Pack Pride. OFC

I wonder if UNC fans are reading this and calling it a "Duke meltdown"?

If so, I'd just like to say, "I could give a shit about North Carolina."

We're going to beat y'alls asses with players who go to class. Name one way UNC is better than Duke. I challenge you to find something other than nightlife.

New NCAA logo revealed today.

NCAA%20No%20Mas%20No%20More.jpg

OFC

When did SACS last shut a P5 SCHOOL down for such shenanigans. I am not talking SACS anyway- they didnt make the ruling. Besides others can pull from the UNC plan, and who knows perhaps hide it EVEN BETTER. SACS would have been clueless w/o Dan Kane and Pack Pride. OFC

Stuff like this doesn't happen at P5 schools. No matter what the THR folks would want people to believe.

When did SACS have an academic fraud case this large?

"When UNC was put on probation in June 2015, SACS President Belle Wheelan said it was the first time in her 10 years with the commission that SACS had put a school on probation for matters of academic integrity."

Again, my point is I do not believe this creates an atmosphere where universities are going to create bogus programs and get away with it. I served on an accreditation committee as an undergrad (at a P5 school). This was no small thing. Academics take this very seriously, even at UNC.

Stuff like this doesn't happen at P5 schools. No matter what the THR folks would want people to believe.

"When UNC was put on probation in June 2015, SACS President Belle Wheelan said it was the first time in her 10 years with the commission that SACS had put a school on probation for matters of academic integrity."

Again, my point is I do not believe this creates an atmosphere where universities are going to create bogus programs and get away with it. I served on an accreditation committee as an undergrad (at a P5 school). This was no small thing. Academics take this very seriously, even at UNC.
Too bad "academics" have no power over sports or administration. Do you know what would happen to my job as a professor if a coach/administrator asked me to give an athlete a makeup test and I refused? It wouldn't matter if I was tenured or not. I'd be shown the door. Sports yield way too power at public institutions because the money is yuge... gold toilet yuge.

Reactions: 1dukeblue

Well DukePhysics I must say I admire your optimism and obviously you're a very intelligent chap....Lets hope this isnt dead yet my friend:

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/ac...cle_b85d1dcc-4785-5cc7-b519-e7c8dd620e18.html

OFC

Reactions: DukeDenver
I wasn't expecting major punishments, but I'm surprised nothing even minor was given. Everyone knows there was shady business going on, but it's time to move on and focus on the exciting season we have coming up!

Reactions: DukeDenver
It occurred t me this morning, after the ruling came down, that as much as UNC was concerned about Sankey being the head of the committee, it actually helped UNC. Sankey may be worried that if UNC is hammered, the SEC, with its questionable academics for athletes, would be next on the chopping block. The fact that UNC is now no better than the worst of the SEC seems lost on the hucksters (pun intended) over at the Hill.

Is he wrong, though? Or are you mad that he’s a Duke guy saying this?

Depends on how he meant it. Does he believe UNC was clean or that the NCAA didn't have a case? He knows they were damn dirty and continued to stand by their side in the media despite that, because of the "offered to everyone" loophole. We all know why those classes were created. Why defend UNC's stance?

Reactions: hart2chesson
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT