ADVERTISEMENT

Final UNC AFAM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another issue never addressed...unx’s Jack Evans was an architect of the APR system for addressing athletic eligibility. The same system that penalized UCONN. He knew the “soft spots.” He knew how to game it. That chicanery was built in too. While UCONN ( and others ) are doing what they need to do in compliance , unx is runnin’ the paper class scam , reporting artificially-inflated scores and writing bonus checks to Roy because his guys are doing so well academically. Topping off that crap , unx tells the NCAA that their admission to SACS of “academic fraud” was a “typo.” smh. Shameless.
Oh, you are so right. UNC is morally bankrupt and corrupt and every other school has no issues with academic eligibility, education for athletes that pales in comparison to the traditional student, etc.

Now that that's settled, let's sit back and see how many of these schools with high academic standards for their athletes are taken down in the FBI's probe.

3 day thread. 200 replies and 3703 looks and growing. This is going to be an epic thread and should always be on page one just to piss off all the heel lurkers. Sooner or later one of them is going to get tired of seeing it and pop off as if it his their own board. I can't wait. OFC

And the same holds true for most Division 1 schools across the country.
Here we go again. Where was all this “everybody does it” stuff when unx was actively ( VERY actively! ) promoting that bull sheet notion called the “carolina way?” Dean put it on his book knowing full well it was garbage. This is something unx fans rarely , if ever , address. The “Public Ivy” brought on much of this criticism simply for lording that holier-than-thou crap in everyone’s face. “Southern Cal? tOSU? The U? That kinda stuff doesn’t happen in Chapel Hill. We wouldn’t stand for such shenanigans. Go heels!” My ass. Not only is unx as bad as those schools , they’re worse. When is anyone from unx gonna acknowledge the decades of hypocrisy and lying?

Reactions: skysdad
Here we go again. Where was all this “everybody does it” stuff when unx was actively ( VERY actively! ) promoting that bull sheet notion called the “carolina way?” Dean put it on his book knowing full well it was garbage. This is something unx fans rarely , if ever , address. The “Public Ivy” brought on much of this criticism simply for lording that holier-than-thou crap in everyone’s face. “Southern Cal? tOSU? The U? That kinda stuff doesn’t happen in Chapel Hill. We wouldn’t stand for such shenanigans. Go heels!” My ass. Not only is unx as bad as those schools , they’re worse. When is anyone from unx gonna acknowledge the decades of hypocrisy and lying?

You never heard that from me. No one in big time sports does everything 100% by the book--including Duke.

But, I would argue that UNC handled this in a way that many schools wouldn't have. Had they clamped down like many other schools have done, much of this probably wouldn't have come to light. You really think any other school who allowed others to investigate them so thoroughly would come out looking squeaky clean?

The "Carolina Way" was something that really started with Dean. I don't buy for one second that he knew anything about those classes. It was at the twilight of his career at UNC.

Reactions: SorryNotSorry
We agree!
The fact that unx would choose AFAM to exploit by steering AA athletes into it then doing everything possible to PREVENT those kids from getting a meaningful education , says all ya need to know about unx’s “morals.” Recall that time unx chose their Math dept to keep white boys on the golf team eligible? Me neither. Another bullet unx dodged was the appalling racism involved. Made more egregious due to the complicity of AA staff. Nyang’oro was bought with on-field passes and seats behind the bench at the DES.

You never heard that from me. No one in big time sports does everything 100% by the book--including Duke.

But, I would argue that UNC handled this in a way that many schools wouldn't have. Had they clamped down like many other schools have done, much of this probably wouldn't have come to light. You really think any other school who allowed others to investigate them so thoroughly would come out looking squeaky clean?

The "Carolina Way" was something that really started with Dean. I don't buy for one second that he knew anything about those classes. It was at the twilight of his career at UNC.
The classes STARTED with Dean. He was instrumental in the formation of the AFAM dept at unx. WTF does a ball coach have to do with curriculum? Not a damn thing unless it’s self-serving...which it was. Dean coached basketball. That’s all he did. He was no saint. And unx wasn’t nearly as open as you suggest either. Martin was a dog-n-pony show. The ex-guvna has since retracted his initial findings. unx has spared no effort trying to discredit Wainstein. unx did what unx does. Image is everything to unx so they spent millions in legal fees and PR. Wanna be open? Let’s see those transcripts. Redact the names and publish ‘em. Recalculate the GPA’s and see who was ( and who WASN’T! ) eligible. unx being “transparent” is every bit as big of a myth than the “carolina way.”

Reactions: Danger 35 Zone
First should probably drop the U in UNC, since that isn't a thing there.

But, I would argue that NC handled this in a way that many schools wouldn't have. Had they clamped down like many other schools have done, much of this probably wouldn't have come to light. You really think any other school who allowed others to investigate them so thoroughly would come out looking squeaky clean?
Most schools would of came out and said we were wrong let us correct our self. Example Georgia and their academic scandal. Not NC, they fight tooth and nail, prolong it every step of the way. In the end it was we cheated but you don't have jurisdiction over how we cheated.

The "Carolina Way" was something that really started with Dean. I don't buy for one second that he knew anything about those classes. It was at the twilight of his career at NC.

There is no doubt in my mind that Dean was the architect of the biggest cheating scandal in the history of college sports. While I do agree that every school cheats in one way or another. Dean will go down as the biggest fraud in the history of sports.

Now Roy on the other hand, I honestly could see how he didn't know. He seems like a guy that doesn't know what is going on around him. You think Dean didn't know? So NC thought so little of him. If true NC obviously already knew what a piece of crap he was, now the rest of the world knows this too.

First should probably drop the U in UNC, since that isn't a thing there.

Most schools would of came out and said we were wrong let us correct our self. Example Georgia and their academic scandal. Not NC, they fight tooth and nail, prolong it every step of the way. In the end it was we cheated but you don't have jurisdiction over how we cheated.

There is no doubt in my mind that Dean was the architect of the biggest cheating scandal in the history of college sports. While I do agree that every school cheats in one way or another. Dean will go down as the biggest fraud in the history of sports.

Now Roy on the other hand, I honestly could see how he didn't know. He seems like a guy that doesn't know what is going on around him. You think Dean didn't know? So NC thought so little of him. If true NC obviously already knew what a piece of crap he was, now the rest of the world knows this too.

Roy doesn't get a pass, Roy knew exactly what was going on and had his hands all in the scandal.

You are right at this point. When Roy got there in 2004, he was alarmed there were so many AFAM on the team and directed Walden to look into it. By 2009, there was only one AFAM on the team.

You do realize Roy had the most players enrolled in that curriculum out any of the coaches correct? Once things became suspicious, Roy knew it was time to pull his athletes from the curriculum. Saint Roy knew what was going on and was very active in the scandal. There's no telling what type of scandal he'll be involved in now, the NCAA basically gave UNC the green light to cheat moving forward.

Reactions: hart2chesson
You are right at this point. When Roy got there in 2004, he was alarmed there were so many AFAM on the team and directed Walden to look into it. By 2009, there was only one AFAM on the team.

And they immediately started "clustering" in EXSS and COMM. I doubt Roy would have such concerns if his guys were all clustered in , say , Math. He took his kids out due to the red flags starting to crop up. That suggests he KNEW something was goin' on but was ok "not knowing" until the scrutiny. Another thing...and I'd say the same about K...it's his JOB to know. "Golly Gee Whiz , I had no dadgum idea this stuff was goin' on etc" won't cut it. He either knew or SHOULD have.

DLO2-31VYAAIg27.jpg

DLOf1L2WsAAwMs3.jpg

And they immediately started "clustering" in EXSS and COMM. I doubt Roy would have such concerns if his guys were all clustered in , say , Math. He took his kids out due to the red flags starting to crop up. That suggests he KNEW something was goin' on but was ok "not knowing" until the scrutiny. Another thing...and I'd say the same about K...it's his JOB to know. "Golly Gee Whiz , I had no dadgum idea this stuff was goin' on etc" won't cut it. He either knew or SHOULD have.

DLO2-31VYAAIg27.jpg

DLOf1L2WsAAwMs3.jpg
Do you know what interview your image is from? I'd like to see the actual video

Most have been paid handsomely to keep quiet.I still think before all this is over Dan Kane will uncover even more than we know now. I will be shocked if he doesnt publish a book on something Hollywood couldnt have created. OFC

North Carolina's approach to NCAA charges might just work for Gophers

Jan Gangelhoff was 56 when she died from cancer in March 2005. This was unfortunate for Jan, family and friends, and perhaps in the wake of Friday’s news from the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions, for the legacy of Minnesota’s finest on-court days in men’s basketball.

Gangelhoff was the office manager for Clem Haskins’ program, and came forward to inform first the St. Paul Pioneer Press and then enforcement officials of having written 400 pieces of course work for 20 basketball players from 1995 to 1998.

This revelation wound up taking credit away from the Gophers for the 1997 Big Ten championship, a place in the 1997 Final Four and the 1998 NIT championship. It also cost Haskins his job and Bobby Jackson official recognition for his greatness as a Gopher.

But here’s the deal: If Jan still was with us, perhaps she could recall a few of those papers finding their way to non-basketball players — a late-breaking revelation that this aggressive tutoring was not restricted to athletes.

And then maybe the NCAA could announce, “Based on the general availability, the panel cannot conclude a systemic effort to impermissibly benefit student athletes,’’ and then the Gophers could get back all those wins and various banners.

Plus, the Gophers could bring back that montage painting that used to grace a basketball area, where Clem was painted away but the person charged with doing so neglected to remove his shoes.

Yes. The absurdity of North Carolina disavowing the report it commissioned (and once approved) on two decades of organized academic fraud benefiting scores of athletes and getting away with it; heck, Ski U Mah coming up with a new theory on its scandal could be no greater scam.

http://www.startribune.com/north-ca...harges-might-just-work-for-gophers/450928743/

As a North Carolina grad, NCAA ruling gives me no joy

I am a UNC graduate, class of 2001.

I have spent the majority of my adult life working in sports media as a reporter, blogger and editor covering games and making news decisions.

Working in sports for so many years has ground down most of my childhood fandom, as it tends to do for media professionals. But Carolina athletics is the lone survivor of that grind, hoops in particular.

I take no joy in the decision handed down by the NCAA on Friday.

While there may (or may not) be sound legal ground for the decision, the evidence of corruption and wrongdoing in Chapel Hill is unassailable. A quick scan of Twitter proves any arguments otherwise absurd.

As much as I love UNC athletics, I love my UNC degree more. And it has been sullied.

It has been tarnished by people who should value the integrity of that degree and, frankly, should know better. A few people who work in UNC academics – administrators and professors alike – long-conspired to taint the proud legacy of one our nation’s beacons of state-run public education. There’s no need to recount the details here. It’s all well-documented. There is zero excuse.

And it’s disgusting. AFAM 41 makes my stomach churn.

And it’s all in the name of what? Banners? Basketball records? Beating Duke in a game?

That all pales in comparison to the ambition for Carolina to compete with its much-lauded rival seven miles down the road academically and professionally. UNC has clearly and willingly ceded that ground. It sucks.

I’m writing this because I know a great deal of the UNC fan base is celebrating this decision. Carolina’s hanging another banner this fall, and all is allegedly well again in Chapel Hill.

...And what we end up with is academic fraud in Chapel Hill...

I’d really like to be able to watch college basketball again with a clean conscience. And, more importantly, I want my degree to maintain the same value it had the day I graduated.

https://sports.yahoo.com/north-carolina-grad-im-embarrassed-school-184520419.html?src=rss

Oh, you are so right. UNC is morally bankrupt and corrupt and every other school has no issues with academic eligibility, education for athletes that pales in comparison to the traditional student, etc.

Now that that's settled, let's sit back and see how many of these schools with high academic standards for their athletes are taken down in the FBI's probe.

I did not have a chance to chime in over the weekend, but wanted to here. My question in response is what do the eligibility requirements at other schools and any trouble with them have to do with UNCheat?

I can only cite a few issues in the past where I know players have been benched due to grades. It happened at Syracuse by the NCAA, Bobby Knight has benched kids who were eligible but he wanted better from, and K has done the same in the past.

The ultimate answer here is that the fact that other schools may have a scheme set up does not mitigate the fact that UNCheat was engaging in the actions it did. The only difference is that UNCheat may have been behind the curve in making sure these fake classes were offered to everyone.

So, honestly, the statement "I don't see other schools having eligibility issues, so there is nothing to see here" is really baseless. The fact the other schools may also be cheating does not legitimize cheating at UNCheat. It simply means that UNCheat is no better than those other schools.

I did not have a chance to chime in over the weekend, but wanted to here. My question in response is what do the eligibility requirements at other schools and any trouble with them have to do with UNCheat?

I can only cite a few issues in the past where I know players have been benched due to grades. It happened at Syracuse by the NCAA, Bobby Knight has benched kids who were eligible but he wanted better from, and K has done the same in the past.

The ultimate answer here is that the fact that other schools may have a scheme set up does not mitigate the fact that UNCheat was engaging in the actions it did. The only difference is that UNCheat may have been behind the curve in making sure these fake classes were offered to everyone.

So, honestly, the statement "I don't see other schools having eligibility issues, so there is nothing to see here" is really baseless. The fact the other schools may also be cheating does not legitimize cheating at UNCheat. It simply means that UNCheat is no better than those other schools.
My assumption is that Duke players work harder on coursework than other D1 ball players. I base this off of my own experiences there.

I witnessed the entire 2001 Duke team going to class and studying hard during down time. Battier and Dunleavy studied more than I did. Boozer was quiet, don't know much about him. Jay Williams was a bit slack, but he still did his own work. Duhon studied on the weekends, a very bright guy, was a decent writer. I remember Horvath tutoring non-athletes in science classes. Sanders was a bit of a mess, but the staff stayed on him about school work. He never had anyone write his papers.

Reactions: dbav
The past four UNC scandal threads here have generated 1,883 posts and 50,369 views. That's a lot of our time and effort. We should be compensated by the NCAA.
OFC.
Here are the highlights for those who don't want to read it all:
-UNC cheated
-Duke fans are vexed by the legality of the cheating
-Roy likes Coca Cola
-Jay Bilas wears Tarheel underwear

Meh. I had low expectations and I wasn't very invested in it, so whatever. I do understand their case that it was an academic issue, not an athletic one, and I never cared enough to spend any time rebutting that.

If you need any sour grapes to rally around, they're going to have to hear about this and deal w/ accusations that they got away w/ something way longer than any punishment would have lasted. Think about the Maggette thing and the LT thing: Never mind how mild and player-specific the punishments might have been; b/c nothing detrimental happened to Duke we have to deal w/ those being thrown in our faces all the time. This will dog them for a long, long time.

I do understand their case that it was an academic issue, not an athletic one, and I never cared enough to spend any time rebutting that.
So you don't believe those classes were created for the purpose of keeping athletes eligible??

Imo but Unc fans do not understand why most people are so upset with this decision.For most of my life I had to listen to them crow about how morally superior they were to everyone else.The narrative has now changed to we didn't do anything that everyone else did.So congrats on getting away with it at least I never have to listen to any more of the Carolina Way BS

Imo but Unc fans do not understand why most people are so upset with this decision.For most of my life I had to listen to them crow about how morally superior they were to everyone else.The narrative has now changed to we didn't do anything that everyone else did.So congrats on getting away with it at least I never have to listen to any more of the Carolina Way BS
As a UNC fan, I totally get this. Those arrogant pricks from our fan base deserve to be knocked down a few pegs.

Reactions: Dattier
Meh. I had low expectations and I wasn't very invested in it, so whatever. I do understand their case that it was an academic issue, not an athletic one, and I never cared enough to spend any time rebutting that.

If you need any sour grapes to rally around, they're going to have to hear about this and deal w/ accusations that they got away w/ something way longer than any punishment would have lasted. Think about the Maggette thing and the LT thing: Never mind how mild and player-specific the punishments might have been; b/c nothing detrimental happened to Duke we have to deal w/ those being thrown in our faces all the time. This will dog them for a long, long time.

Perhaps the one bright spot in all this. They're OJ. They got away with it but in the process they became another poster-child for everything WRONG with collegiate athletics and ,a s mentioned , the "carolina way" became a punchline.

Reactions: Dattier and skysdad
Perhaps the one bright spot in all this. They're OJ. They got away with it but in the process they became another poster-child for everything WRONG with collegiate athletics and ,a s mentioned , the "carolina way" became a punchline.

Well said. I've been wanting to come up with something like that but just couldn't put it together. OFC

C'mon SACS. Drop 'em. Cut 'em off. Let unx play in the NAIA for a year or two. Lulz...

UNC’s accreditor will review NCAA report on academic scandal

UNC-Chapel Hill’s accrediting body will review the findings of the NCAA report that last week issued no punishment against the university for its long-running athletic and academic scandal.

Belle Wheelan, president of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, said in an email that the Georgia-based accrediting agency will examine the NCAA’s findings.

“We will consider the information under our unsolicited information policy,” Wheelan wrote in an email in response to a question from a News & Observer reporter. “It will be reviewed to determine if the institution is out of compliance with any of our Principles of Accreditation. If we find that they are, we will investigate.”

The NCAA’s Committee on Infractions recommended that the NCAA send its report to the accreditor. UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Carol Folt said Friday the university had already sent it

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article179169576.html

Guess not...

Accrediting agency won't reopen investigation into UNC 'paper classes'

Posted: 40 minutes ago
Updated: 40 minutes ago

The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the accrediting body for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, told WRAL News Monday that it had reviewed the NCAA's findings against UNC and did not find anything there that would prompt another investigation.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/page/12745416/?break_id=19481

Last edited:

talkalot24 shame on you and your lowlife classless school for the worst cheating of all time and shame on you for supporting it. You know you avoided having your nut sack ripped open on a simple technicality that cost Cheaterhill 20 million smackers. Piss on all of you simpeltons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT