ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
So far the ACC schedule has been kind to us, and it couldn't have been with better timing. We played well at ND, but then had the long layoff meant BC was way too tight and WF it took us pulling away in the last 6-7 minutes after we wore them down.

All that said, tonight should be a fun one. Jalen Johnson is a gametime decision, and he's been sorely missed. So even if it's not tonight that he returns, it's soon it would appear.

I'd also like to see Brakefield get back into the mix and bring a little juice off the bench like he did early on. That, along with Hurt and Moore hopefully bringing some consistency, this isn't the doom and gloom many think.

We probably aren't winning the dance this year, but considering where we all thought this team might end up when we were staring a home loss to Boston College, we'll take it. I commiserate with @spike05rk all the time during games, we've shared an equal level of skepticism and frustration.

Duke comes in currently favored by -1.5 and I'm going to refrain from answering whether or not I like that spread. I'll just say this - I've been doing these gameday threads for close to 13 years and I've never, NEVER picked against us. Even though I wouldn't bet the spread, I'm still picking us - you can read between the lines what you prefer lol.

Gametime is slated for a 7pm est tip and the game will once again air on the ACC Network.

Duke - 71

Virginia Tech - 70

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: timo0402
This place has never been real kind to us
It's going to be a battle. If we can get a good start and shoot well from the three point line, I think we will pull out a close one! GO DUKE!!!!
OFC

I would love to see us press 30 minutes tonight. We seem to be at our best when pressing and creating offense off turns. This is a tough win no matter how you look at it. I think we need to shoot a decent percentage from 3 to stay in the game, and our defense seals the close win in the last minute.

Duke 75
VT 73

Going to be a tough cavernous arena tonight. Site lines are pitiful. Hoping we can make our FTs and convert by the rim.

We always seem to struggle here. My gut says we lose, but I have faith in our team. If we can get this win I think this team could be very good. But it will be a tough test. At least there's no crowd of duke haters. VT 78 Duke 74. Would gladly be wrong. I'm always torn between picking what I want to happen vs. what I think will happen.

Please god just win tonight...their fans are unbearable....guard cone for sure...bede and Radford aren't much threats on offense...Radford hustles like hell...need to for aluma into some turnovers...he is prone to when getting double teamed.

Play smart, cut down on turnovers and I think duke wins.... no crowd in cassell will help

per article...tape still out/back..........coleman and coach carrawell didnt travel due to sickness (non Covid/negative tests)

Reactions: christophero
Cone is from my home town and he comes off the bench but he can score in bunches and is a great shooter. Small but really really good. Prolific scorer in HS.

Any word if Jalen is playing?
He is good and I seen him play quite a bit in high school. Our local school won the conference but Cone could shoot lights out and he can really get up for his height. Had heard he wanted to play for Duke but they might not have offered.

He is good and I seen him play quite a bit in high school. Our local school won the conference but Cone could shoot lights out and he can really get up for his height. Had heard he wanted to play for Duke but they might not have offered.

That is pretty cool. I followed him closely also and my younger brother texts with him fairly often. He didn’t get great looks from schools due to size but he is an elite shooter. He is a great kid too.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Tape still out due to back issues. Coleman sick and not making trip. Non Covid. Hopefully we see JJ for a few minutes. He's been cleared to play. With 3 bigs possibly out a good shooting night from Brakefield would help.

Last edited:
VT is rather small, so not the worst team to play with a depleted front court. Still, not an ideal situation. May need a big game from Hurt even more than usual.

Reactions: christophero
Always tough to win in Blacksburg! Not having fans there will definitely help. I think Duke wins a nail biter!

Duke: 72
Va Tech: 68

Let’s go Duke!!

It's close to game time. Let's get off to a great start on both ends of the court. We can't start our 2 for 15 from the floor or down ten in the first 5 minutes. We have played enough games as scheduled now to play well. Hit our free throws and win both halfs. OFC

Wish Duke guards would learn to protect the ball and not make so many turnovers.

Poor defense, poor shooting and poor ball security is a recipe for disaster.

Duke can't pass, can't dribble, can't catch. Just sad seeing us turn the ball over at will.

Remind me again why Baker doesn’t get to play. Wasn’t it because he doesn’t play defense? Well who on the team does?

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT