ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

We just need to keep playing to our strengths. Teams are going to bait us a lot going forward, wanting us to shoot a lot of 3’s. We are who we are at this point of the year. When we attack the rim a lot of good things happen. When we fade around the perimeter and take the first look, we become guardable.

Defensively, you don’t see it as much because of Virginia’s slow pace, but they were very efficient against us. I do believe we switched every screen as a means of conserving energy, knowing we were only going really 6 deep tonight. But we had guys on islands that can’t be on islands. We miss our defensive captain badly. Get well Tre.

Great win, the rematch is going to be exciting.

Everyone's notion, mine included, was that Duke needed a good day from the three point line. Not so obviously - they just stayed on the attack in a way most people aren't capable of against Virginia. Two made threes, and no three point attempts at all in the last 15 minutes.

Free throws continue to be a concern going forward...

They are going to make us or break us. I feel right now that good free throw shooting right now is more important than 3 point shooting. Why? This team has a few guys that can drive to the basket, score the basket and get fouled. 3 points if the free throw is made and you're getting the other team in foul trouble. Not that I don't love the 3 but we have really struggled all year with it. Of course being efficient in both spells trouble for all other teams. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Dukie
They are going to make us or make us. I feel right now that good free throw shooting right now is more important than 3 point shooting. Why? This team has a few guys that can drive to the basket, score the basket and get fouled. 3 points if the free throw is made and you're getting the other team in foul trouble. Not that I don't love the 3 but we have really struggled all year with it. Of course being efficient in both spells trouble for all other teams. OFC
Agree. We need to get that average up in the 70"s. Zion and RJ and Cam need to get better because they are going to be fouled a lot. We made 7 out of 10 FF at the end. If we had only 50% at the end, we probably/possibly lose.

I think that’s the first game in Duke history where all of our participants were 6’6 or taller. That height was a big problem for UVA’s guards all night.

I thought the same DukeDenver. I thought it really caused problems for UVA who clearly has strong ball handlers and passers. It really limited the back door passes I thought. Obviously I want Trey back as soon as he is healthy, but I do wonder if it's something K might consider using down the road in certain situations.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I thought the same DukeDenver. I thought it really caused problems for UVA who clearly has strong ball handlers and passers. It really limited the back door passes I thought. Obviously I want Trey back as soon as he is healthy, but I do wonder if it's something K might consider using down the road in certain situations.
Yes Syracuse put out a pretty tall lineup against us, and all of our length didn’t really matter as we defended them. Tre however gave their weak passers some trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT