ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VCU OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Grayson Allen!!! I'm so proud of him. He showed the type of player he is...and wants to be. What a great game for him.

OFC

Reactions: JCColsCane
Am impressed with Thornton's play. I think we have our point guard!

OFC

Yeah, he's getting better every game. He's our guy...always has been...just had to have a little patience with him because he got a late start in getting to Duke.

OFC

Hey guys, I get my 900th post on a Duke win!! I know we are all spoiled from last year, and we were playing VCU, but I gotta tell you, the way these kids came back and battled tonight, it was huuuuge!
Great recruits or not, we a very young and inexperienced, and this was a big step forward. I don't think a lot of people realize how far a loss in this game could have set this team back. We still have a long way to go, but I am very pleased with where we are.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Hey guys, I get my 900th post on a Duke win!! I know we are all spoiled from last year, and we were playing VCU, but I gotta tell you, the way these kids came back and battled tonight, it was huuuuge!
Great recruits or not, we a very young and inexperienced, and this was a big step forward. I don't think a lot of people realize how far a loss in this game could have set this team back. We still have a long way to go, but I am very pleased with where we are.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Yeah, these guys fight...they did against Kentucky also, but couldn't get over the hump. As Show said, we need for the chemistry to kick in...and for goodness sake, please make some dang free throws. But we're getting better.

EDIT...Oh, and congrats on the 900th, JCC!

OFC

Very concerned about our Free throw shooting for the year.

Really proud of Luke and Grayson tonight. Especially Luke.

Looks like it's going to be a game by game learning process. Disappointed in our free throw shooting. We need to get a lot better. Grayson bounced back well and Thornton continues to improve. It's just a matter of time with Ingram. The college game is a big difference from high school. We'll be where we should be come March. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I really like Thorntons improvement. He's going to get there. OuR FT shooting is nothing short of horrid. Kennard, thinking to much, his only problem. Once he sees 4 or 5 go in he will go off.

I really like Thorntons improvement. He's going to get there. OuR FT shooting is nothing short of horrid. Kennard, thinking to much, his only problem. Once he sees 4 or 5 go in he will go off.

Yeah, I don't usually get too upset...but the free throw shooting is about to get to me! And you're so right about Luke...just needs to see the ball drop through the net a few times to get his confidence back.

OFC

We beat a good team tonight, took some blows and punched back. Found some intensity and got the W. I'll wait a bit before I lose sleep over free throws. Young group, big arena etc etc.... I took plenty of positive away!!!

G town scares me some but K has another day and more film to teach with. Lotta talent and it will come together!!! I'm just hoping Gary keeps predicting against us

I hope Grayson just ended up with leg cramps and not a hamstring problem. Pretty quick turnaround playing again on Sunday. He seemed to work it out as the game progressed, he was all over the court. He'll probably have trouble getting around tomorrow morning.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

I hope Grayson just ended up with leg cramps and not a hamstring problem. Pretty quick turnaround playing again on Sunday. He seemed to work it out as the game progressed, he was all over the court. He'll probably have trouble getting around tomorrow morning.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC
Hopefully he'll be better by Sunday, JCC. We need him at 100%, or very close to it.
I can't remember a player that takes more hard falls to the floor than Grayson, but he's just so aggressive, and fearless.

OFC

Ingram has all the tools but one. HEART. He's got to find it soon.

Sleepy isn't just because of his appearance. The kid is really good, just give him some time. DT had some great spots tonight but some bad turnovers also.

Rebounding was very disappointing tonight.

Love that our team had to endure this so early in the season. Should serve them well. Liked how we keep pushing and pushing till we snagged a double digit lead.

K has got to take Amile out in end game situations, his FT shooting is a liability and has been for years.

Dicky v grated on me tonight - "I THINK THORNTON CAN BE THEIR PG, I THINK HE CAN PLAY PG".
O realy Dick? Do ya think so!?!?!

I just loved how Luke didn't let bad shooting ruin his night. That's how you find PT as a freshman.

Duke made the run with Ingram on the bench. I really hope this isn't what we can expect from him going forward.

Duke made the run with Ingram on the bench. I really hope this isn't what we can expect from him going forward.
He'll realize what he has to do sooner or later. He is clearly a late bloomer. Once that switch flips, he'll be unstoppable.

if he used the pull up mid range jumper every time, I wouldn't be sad. He gets blown up in the lane.

K has got to take Amile out in end game situations, his FT shooting is a liability and has been for years.

I have been harping on this for years. He needs to have more arc on his shot. It has been too flat and hits the back of the rim all the time. It is simple physics. Your form does not have to be textbook (e.g. Larry Bird and Reggie Miller) but the trajectory cannot be that flat, however you shoot the ball. Textbook form generally takes care of this problem naturally.

He needs to keep the forearm more vertical in order to have an upwards push up motion for the arc. His upper body leans back too much as well. Too much fling the ball forward motion from his upper body and forearm. His last free throw against Bryant is what he needs to strive for -- good arc and hit the back the net.

Brandon has been invited to my home for Thanksgiving....he needs some weight
I get him for Black Angus Friday.

The good thing is, so much of this teams problems are mistakes (passing, defensive assignments, FT's, etc.)... And those things can be fixed.. We have shooters, we have scorers, we have defenders, we have size/length, we have athletes.. We just have to get them all on the same page and knowing their roles.
Good point. We don't lack the athletic talent, meaning this is not really the same as our Paulus-led teams, but for having the talent and never quite putting it together, I have to say the '14 team was one of the more frustrating teams for me. I have had some moments reminiscent of that already.

Ingram is sooo damn lazy.
Is it Derrick Coleman lazy, or is it exercise-induced-asthma-freshman-Gerald-Henderson-who-didn't-know-how-to-work-that-hard lazy? Or is it just eyelid lazy? He's really young, remember, and oh, by the way, he's skinny, too. I hope it's a lack of awareness and knowledge, rather than something that reflects on his character. Either way, he spent some well earned time on the bench last night.

Reactions: Showenuff
I just loved how Luke didn't let bad shooting ruin his night. That's how you find PT as a freshman.
Unfortunately, Amile is one of the top 5 guys we can count on to keep a cool head in end-game situations right now. Either he'll find a groove at the line, or someone else will step up for those situations, or we'll just have to grimace and accept that he needs to be out there for defense, communication, intelligence, and as little ball-handling as possible.

Agreed about Luke. Grayson's poor shooting vs UK was compounded by mental frustration and mistakes, and K yanked him quickly. It was to Luke's credit he didn't add that to his shooting woes and to K's credit to support that. That builds trust, comfort, relaxation, confidence.

He'll realize what he has to do sooner or later. He is clearly a late bloomer. Once that switch flips, he'll be unstoppable.
That's more my take on Brandon. I don't like to assume things about his heart, his character, etc.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Brandon has the talent, no doubt there. Twice in the first half he grabbed the defensive board, took the ball coast-to-coast, with one resulting in a bucket, and the other resulting in a sweet pass to Amile for the easy hoop. He just needs to be stronger with the ball, and stop having those passive phases of the game.

Unfortunately, Amile is one of the top 5 guys we can count on to keep a cool head in end-game situations right now. Either he'll find a groove at the line, or someone else will step up for those situations, or we'll just have to grimace and accept that he needs to be out there for defense, communication, intelligence, and as little ball-handling as possible.
This is spot on. We took control once we went with the small lineup, like in the Final 4. Amile is the only guy we have to faciltate the offense AND defend screens and in the post. He was the MVP last night... easily.

Brandon finished the game with some energy. Had a nice block, some nice boards and affected quite a few shots. I'd like to see Brandon be a defensive minded player the next few games (a la Luke). I don't think he'll find his offense until the winter break.

Chapeltower, your correct, his shot has no arc. I specifically remember learning in a class my freshman year about the importance of an arc (it was actually a engineering class).

Good points on Amile needed for his ball handling, very much needed. Tough, need his maturity and IQ, but if he see's the line it's not a great situation.

Chapeltower, your correct, his shot has no arc. I specifically remember learning in a class my freshman year about the importance of an arc (it was actually a engineering class).
I believe I learned the same lesson scoping the chiquitas.

Good points on Amile needed for his ball handling, very much needed. Tough, need his maturity and IQ, but if he see's the line it's not a great situation.

They used to think 45 degree is optimal. Now we know you probably want 50. Just watch Curry. Michael Jordon's shots were also very flat. He could have been even better if he had a higher arc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT