ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS STEPHEN F AUSTIN OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

How often does a blue blood lose to a mid major when they only make two 3’s the whole game. When we’ve lost to mid majors/inferior teams in the past it’s because they’ve gone off from 3. Not tonight.

Reactions: skysdad
Congrats to SFA. They fought their asses off and pulled out the upset of a lifetime. Hopefully we learn from this. I think it's time for Coach K to start working on offense in practice, as opposed to mostly defense like he's said. So much standing around tonight. No motion, and way too many forced plays. The guys fought, but putrid execution. Gonna lose some sleep from that one. 20 year streak snapped.... Time to start a new one.

We shot 50% from the floor and if you look at our top 6 guys stats, minutes-wise it looks pretty solid across the board. We even out rebounded them. Jack only had 3 pts but contributed in so many other effort ways.

Unfortunately they took TWENTY more shots than us due to turnovers. Just hard to overcome that and the FT shooting. We just didn’t deserve to win.

Maybe in the grand scheme of things we are better because of it. These guys know they are not unbeatable and not heads and shoulders above the other top 10-15 teams in the country. I suspect we’ll bounce back and play well next time out and even at MSU.

Hopefully. My BP can’t take games like this lol

Reactions: Liftee and hallside
You know, when adversity hits, stuff comes out of the woodwork. It's some comments and I'm sure some more by tomorrow that just make you shake your head. It's alright to lose a dang game. And as usual some want 4 year players. I've been a Duke fan all my life and even when we had the best 4 years players, I never recall going undefeated. A loss is disappointing when it happens, but losing games has and always will happen at home or not.. Bed time for me. Need my strength to read this board in the morning.

I know most of you are hitting the bail button, but I look at this game as one that won’t happen again this season. I KNOW no team the rest of this season will put that much effort into beating us. Those kids literally played their guts out every play. They deserved it. I feel good for them, they’ll always have that game. It won’t hurt us at all. In fact, it definitely helped. #1 right now means zilch. We still have a really great team here, I hate a lot of you will bash them now, but hey, we will recover. I still love this team. Good things ahead.
Quoting this so those that missed it on the previous page can read it.

This isn’t because of how bad we played from late in the first half through the second half and overtime but I’m glad that will be the last game that I should have to worry about watching on my phone because I’ve got a severe headache from having to watch the game on my small phone screen. As for the game, we had way too many turnovers in the game and we missed way too many free throws in the second half and overtime. If I’m remembering correctly, the announcers said we were 13-16 (81.2%) from the free throw line in first half but then we were 11-24 (45.8%) from the free throw line in the second half and overtime. It really sucks that our 19 year home non conference win streak came to an end but hopefully the players are pissed that they lost and learn from it and use it as motivation going forward.

I know what just happened I saw the game. Doesn’t mean we can’t laugh at Kensucky
Kensucky fans will get the last laugh though. That’s why you don’t rub bad losses in others faces. It will come back to bite. Worse than that though is the Cheats are laughing their asses off at both programs right now. Two number 1’s going down in so little time to non ranked middle of the road teams in their own house!!!! Wow!!!!

Thing I’m probably most worried about is the last two games have been really hard for Tre to guard and stay in front of his man. WTH is he going to do with Cole Anthony? His breakdowns defensively are causing breakdowns by the bigs and help defense all around. I don’t know if they are to quick for him or he’s just over extended and trying to do to much defensively.

Ha not sure why but all I am think about is the Tim Tebow speech in 2008. Lost to ole miss they had NO BUSINESS even being in a close game with...lost...then ended up kicking everyone’s butt the rest of the year and won the national championship

Reactions: tripleb71
It amazes me that some here just never see any problems
We do see the problems man but what can we do about it? We just fans arguing on a message board lol. It’s a long season and we still have a good team. K and the staff will figure it out and we will be laughing at this game when we make the Final Four

You know, when adversity hits, stuff comes out of the woodwork. It's some comments and I'm sure some more by tomorrow that just make you shake your head. It's alright to lose a dang game. And as usual some want 4 year players. I've been a Duke fan all my life and even when we had the best 4 years players, I never recall going undefeated. A loss is disappointing when it happens, but losing games has and always will happen at home or not.. Bed time for me. Need my strength to read this board in the morning.
No loss will ever compare to UCONN 99

Reactions: retiredsoldier
Thing I’m probably most worried about is the last two games have been really hard for Tre to guard and stay in front of his man. WTH is he going to do with Cole Anthony? His breakdowns defensively are causing breakdowns by the bigs and help defense all around. I don’t know if they are to quick for him or he’s just over extended and trying to do to much defensively.
I despise saying this but he won’t be able to stay with Cole, not many will tbh

We do see the problems man but what can we do about it? We just fans arguing on a message board lol. It’s a long season and we still have a good team. K and the staff will figure it out and we will be laughing at this game when we make the Final Four

I hope you're right

Reactions: Duke1783
Kensucky fans will get the last laugh though. That’s why you don’t rub bad losses in others faces. It will come back to bite. Worse than that though is the Cheats are laughing their asses off at both programs right now. Two number 1’s going down in so little time to non ranked middle of the road teams in their own house!!!! Wow!!!!
Don’t worry the Cheaters will get theirs

Didn’t drive on their 3 guys who had 4 fouls each. Carey not in those last minutes. Mind boggling but then again K is still GOAT. Like @CRAZIE4LIFE said....a lot to be thankful for.
Actually they had 4 players with 4 fouls for most of the second half and overtime and I was wondering the same thing because at least 2 of those players were killing us and we didn’t take advantage of them having 4 fouls and try to get them to pick up those 5th foul.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dad2ze
Yall made fun of UK losing to Evansville but they are ranked higher then SFA . Horrible losses by both teams yet both teams are the top 4 teams this season. Duke's big issue is they are 5 players and then a bunch of scrubs . UK's problem is we have 10 players don't know the roles of them at all yet as they are all pretty damn talented. Carey , Richards ,Maxey and Stanley are the elite players on each team though for sure .

Well, I didn't see the game and just came on the board to find us in meltdown mode. I missed the game, because my brother (my last living one out of 4) came over tonight to see me and bring me a couple of homemade pumpkin pies (my favorite) for Thanksgiving. This is the first time he's been to my house in 2 years, because his health has been so bad, and twice while in the hospital the doctor's called in our family to say our goodbye's. He is a walking, talking miracle who still is incredibly sick, but still here.

I was disappointed to find out we lost, but honestly I'm not hardly effected at all. You see, there are a lot more things to be thankful for than just winning ball games.
Duke's season is not over, and our guys will learn from this. I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.

OFC

I don’t understand all the people and even K saying they played harder than we did. I did not once think to myself wow, they are playing harder than us. We got out coached and out played tonight simple as that, it was not and effort thing. They will either learn and get better or continue down this path.

Reactions: 1dukeblue
Well, I didn't see the game and just came on the board to find us in meltdown mode. I missed the game, because my brother (my last living one out of 4) came over tonight to see me and bring me a couple of homemade pumpkin pies (my favorite) for Thanksgiving. This is the first time he's been to my house in 2 years, because his health has been so bad, and twice while in the hospital the doctor's called in our family to say our goodbye's. He is a walking, talking miracle who still is incredibly sick, but still here.

I was disappointed to find out we lost, but honestly I'm not hardly effected at all. You see, there are a lot more things to be thankful for than just winning ball games.
Duke's season is not over, and our guys will learn from this. I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.

OFC
So happy to hear your brother visited, ODD! Enjoy your pumpkin pie and avoid everything before page 12 of this thread.
I was upset after the loss but hearing about your brother puts everything in perspective and is a good reminder of what we should look at this week when we think about what we’re thankful for. I hope you get many more visits from your brother. Have a happy thanksgiving buddy!

Deep down, we all knew this season is going to be crazy. I just didnt thinking would be this soon lol. Trust me, the Mary go round of major upsets it just getting started. I laughed at Ky, and laughed at our boys tonight. I'm sure I will be laughing at others. Upsets is an equal opportunity disappointment.

K is going to have to give Tre some breathers- he plays so incredibly hard, it’s not possible for him to play 40 mins with that effort. It showed tonight. I know “tired legs” is a running joke around here- it’s real with Tre.

Obviously not a great K night, I think he thought they would learn from it yet win. Needed some TO’s and get off the chair and direct as he does come tourney etc. He also really shortened the rotation. Need to heat O’Connell and Baker up.

In the end the turnovers and missed free throws allowed them to hang around. Letting ANY team hang around mid way into the 2nd is extremely dangerous. The single loss does not bother me at all, the streak ending absolutely is devastating. It doesn’t seem real!

We are flawed- we knew we would be, fortunately all of College B-ball is this year

next.....

Reactions: 1dukeblue

OFC
Glad to hear you’re having a good Thanksgiving and wish you many more visits from your brother.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Yall made fun of UK losing to Evansville but they are ranked higher then SFA . Horrible losses by both teams yet both teams are the top 4 teams this season. Duke's big issue is they are 5 players and then a bunch of scrubs . UK's problem is we have 10 players don't know the roles of them at all yet as they are all pretty damn talented. Carey , Richards ,Maxey and Stanley are the elite players on each team though for sure .
Is your argument really “Evansville is ranked higher that SFA?”
Did you also hook up with ugliest chick at the party?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT