ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS ST. JOHN'S OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Here is a stat that really hurts...

The only team St Johns put up a higher offensive efficiency number against this season was Sacred Heart

THAT is our issue. I looked at their 3 point shooting the last 4 games before this one and it wasn't even close. Why does it seem like every team we play has their best game of the year from the 3 point line? And all of them are not wide open. I've seen a lot of teams throw up a 3 that I thought had no chance, and it's all net. So frustrating

You guys sound like spoiled brats. Grow a pair. That only counts as one loss. We’re about to go play UNC, and it’d be nice if you pessimists stopped crying by then so we can actually support our team. Otherwise, peace out until then.

We lost to a team that is 0-11 in the Big East.

Yea you’re right we should probably just call it a season. Why even play the rest of the year? According to you it won’t matter, because teams can’t recover from bad games. The season is lost and we are in shambles. #4 in the country and 19-4 on the year. Man we are just awful.

P.S.- Is this how you react when you have a bad day in real life? If so, I apologize to your friends.

Welcome to the one and done world. They just don’t understand at the level of intensity you have to play at when DUKE is strapped across your chest. Of course they do know how to sign a contract at years end. That’s the main thing
I don’t fault the OAD players for their lack of consistent effort in these mid year games. They have at lot at stake, and losing a few games won’t really affect their lives at all. There’s no reason for K or anyone to expect 100% sacrifice from sure NBA picks. That doesn’t mean that we can’t mix in a few OADs with some vets and get a nice product. It helps if your PG knows how to manage a game. Duval is still pretty green and his instinct is to do things solo. Grayson is the only steady veteran force. Bolden and DeLaurier are not leaders yet. Robinson/White/Vrank have the leadership and commitment, but can’t find the floor as long as pros are crowding their positions. Goldwire is just not experienced enough yet, but is already showing flashes of being a Quinn-like force in the future.

This all adds up to a poor passing team that is dominant in one on one play against less athletic teams, but that stalls against teams that know how to play defense and can hit outside shots. We had 10 assists and 18 turns. That’s crap basketball from a squad like this. That means we’re not getting enough easy buckets. No one in our starting lineup is good on defense. Wendell/Bags are OK in straight up D scenarios, but they both get lost in space. Our guards just can’t D up for more than 10 minutes per half.

THAT is our issue. I looked at their 3 point shooting the last 4 games before this one and it wasn't even close. Why does it seem like every team we play has their best game of the year from the 3 point line? And all of them are not wide open. I've seen a lot of teams throw up a 3 that I thought had no chance, and it's all net. So frustrating
When you play with nothing to lose, then you can just play.

Twenty years from now most of that SJ team will be reliving game over and over. And they should.

Reactions: gottagonow
Lol you don't need to go to practice every day to see that Duke has had problems defensively consistently for the past decade. That's a coaching issue. Whether it's the way the team is being built or the coaching that's being done is your pick. It's funny too how many times that people have said on this board "they'll get it relax!" and then we go onto the tournament lose and start saying how they always knew this team wouldn't go far. Duke has constantly had the same problems year after year for the last decade besides two years.
Everyone on this board was complaining about defense the entire 2015 run. We dropped two straight and this board went mad. We lose in the ACCT to ND and again everyone said we were an early exit in the NCAA Tourney. I’ll agree the defense is good at times and looks terrible the rest of the time. We play for March.

This loss was on the starting five. When they gonna come together as a fist, as K would say.

UNC is gonna be a good game but this wasn’t a trap game it was a pure straight up slap in the mouth, let’s play ball.

It is February so not to many months left to work out the kinks

Reactions: hart2chesson
Nothing wrong if people vent when they lose, especially to a team like today. Personally it makes me sick to my stomach, mainly because I love this program and I have my whole life. So don’t call out every downer after a loss. I have more concern about fans that are just ho hum after a terrible loss. Hell just like everyone else here, come the next game I will be here on my game chair stomping, cussing, and throwing shit again unless we have a 20 point lead with 5 min to go.

Reactions: hart2chesson
This team has 4 losses and some posters on here are in total meltdown mode. Relax, NC State is a tournament team beating Unc, Duke, and Arizona. Boston College was the 1st conference game and on the road. Virginia was the #2 ranked team and has one of the best defenses in the country. This loss was terrible, no doubt. Good thing our guys still have 8 regular season games to fine tune it up. Don’t be a fair weather fan and only cheer the team on when things are going well for Duke.
Is any one going to give St John's any credit? they shot light outs,their defense was great..they played better....period..

We are all pissed, and should be. Some of us are saying things we don't really mean and some do mean what they are saying. It would be worse in my opinion if the board WASNT really upset. You can say trap game, free throws, not gelled, or whatever, but this was a bad bad loss and it's only natural that it makes us fearful for March. This team could exit the first weekend, or they could win 6 games by double digits. Either of those is actually possible, but games like today makes it really hard to be overly confident

Reactions: LONMUNU
Nothing wrong if people vent when they lose, especially to a team like today. Personally it makes me sick to my stomach, mainly because I love this program and I have my whole life. So don’t call out every downer after a loss. I have more concern about fans that are just ho hum after a terrible loss. Hell just like everyone else here, come the next game I will be here on my game chair stomping, cussing, and throwing shit again unless we have a 20 point lead with 5 min to go.
I will say that I move on much quicker after losses than I used to. But you have to also realize that some fans will still be ho hum even if we were in last place. Guess it is all just how you view it as a fan.

Reactions: germantondevil
Is any one going to give St John's any credit? they shot light outs,their defense was great..they played better....period..

Im with you man, but I think those 11 losses in a row makes to hard to credit them. I don't care if they lost all 11 by 1 point.....they didn't lose to us. And it seems like everybody shoots the lights out against us. I get that we are everybody's Super Bowl, but at some point, we have to be able to prevent them from shooting lights out.

You make it sound like you attended Duke or played for Duke. Did you do either of these things?

I hate the opinion that someone has to have attended the school to be a fan of their sports team..

Especially people that live in North Carolina, where you almost HAVE to pick a team by the time you are in elementary school..

I’ve invested a ton more time and money in Duke Basketball / University than I did the high school I graduated from.. Hell, I’ve probably invested almost as much money in Duke, as I did the University I graduated from, and that includes tuition.

Everyone has their right to be pissed, frustrated, upset, bewildered, etc.. I feel all of the above. But don’t count out this team. That is just plain stupid. They’ll come to play when their life is on the line. Believe that.

...that’s 8 times since 2007 we haven’t played on the second weekend or have been out on the Thurs/Friday game which isn’t a weekend....So Drama...LMAO those are straight facts...I would love to see us play on the second weekend...it actually does not happen much anymore....
If you have to use calendar technicalities to omit the Sweet 16 from the second weekend... your "straight facts" are part of your drama.

There's also all the difference in the world between "hasn't happened lately" and "doesn't happen much... anymooOOOoorrruh!"

Reactions: dukesince91
Not the result any of us expected. I don't know what the deal is with Grayson. He took 4 shots the first 39 minutes of the game. That is the biggest issue I have. To me that's totally unacceptable. I don't know where that blame lies, if it's him, teammates, or coaches. I don't see any screens or double screens set for him. He's too good to have 4 shots going into the last minute. The other guy that needs more touches is Wendell.
This may get some backlash, but I would like to have seen what would have happened had Bagley fouled out earlier in the game.
My hats off to the way Duval played the last 7-8 minutes. It shouldn't have come down to missing free throws. Free throws didn't cost us.

Reactions: jcdevilfan
Keep on coming with the weak, insecure posts! Just funny to me at this point and have been for years.

You're saying K is washed up and I'm bringing weak posts? LOL. There are a lot of newer posters here that haven't seen your "style" through the years. It's just old and moldy for me. You go ahead and lower expectations for the rest of K's career, I'll stay a little more positive, but hey, that's just me, I don't get off on pretending to be a Duke fan, only showing up after losses and chiseling away at morale. It's just stupid to me someone would get off on shit like that.

They feel worse than us? I’ve loved this ream my whole life! For them this is a pit stop on the way to the NBA
Should have sat that reply out.
They've dedicated their entire lives to this game. Claiming this means nothing more than a pit stop to them is no way to show how you've loved this team your whole life, exclamation point.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
If you have to use calendar technicalities to omit the Sweet 16 from the second weekend... your "straight facts" are part of your drama.

There's also all the difference in the world between "hasn't happened lately" and "doesn't happen much... anymooOOOoorrruh!"

This post just akes me chuckle...the truth hurts...

Last edited:
Should have sat that reply out.
They've dedicated their entire lives to this game. Claiming this means nothing more than a pit stop to them is no way to show how you've loved this team your whole life, exclamation point.
Opinions vary

You're saying K is washed up and I'm bringing weak posts? LOL. There are a lot of newer posters here that haven't seen your "style" through the years. It's just old and moldy for me. You go ahead and lower expectations for the rest of K's career, I'll stay a little more positive, but hey, that's just me, I don't get off on pretending to be a Duke fan, only showing up after losses and chiseling away at morale. It's just stupid to me someone would get off on shit like that.
It's called venting idiot. Everyone doesn't have a desire to be friends with people on a message board and invite them to their house. I have better things to do than to spend all day, everyday, on a message board.

And you're right. You don't get off pretending to be a Duke fan. You get off on pretending to be a tough guy. The only thing that does is highlight how insecure of a man you are. You try to be a bully on a message board for crying out loud. Grow up.

Now back to Duke basketball.

I don’t fault the OAD players for their lack of consistent effort in these mid year games. They have at lot at stake, and losing a few games won’t really affect their lives at all. There’s no reason for K or anyone to expect 100% sacrifice from sure NBA picks.
Do you think freshmen destined to be 4-year college players do any better? I don't. Long after I had passed my Dad in size, strength, and pretty much every measure of physical ability, he could still outwork me. It wasn't that I could've but chose otherwise; I lacked the mental strength and know-how.

We need to stop acting like things like this have anything to do with heart or character.

Reactions: dukesince91
Ok, here is how bad it is. Ky is losing and I can't even get excited about it! I don't even care if they come back and win or not. This is an all time low for me! I've never been so upset that a ky loss didn't help at least a little bit!!

It's called venting idiot. Everyone doesn't have a desire to be friends with people on a message board and invite them to their house. I have better things to do than to spend all day, everyday, on a message board.

And you're right. You don't get off pretending to be a Duke fan. You get off on pretending to be a tough guy. The only thing that does is highlight how insecure of a man you are. You try to be a bully on a message board for crying out loud. Grow up.

Now back to Duke basketball.

That won't end well for you....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT