ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Saw that. I think he coaches until his grandson graduates and I could see him bowing out around then. Of course, I would love to have him around for longer than that, but I think he is eyeing it whether he's admitting that publicly or not. Human nature is a hell of a thing.

that’s definitely makes sense-

Tough loss. The silver lining is we are building towards next year and should be a lot better. it's not like we are getting blown out. If we were another team we would be saying watch out for them next year. This year is just tough. I did not watch the game; because in all honesty I thought we would lose and I don't enjoy watching us lose. Esp. that game. But guys are getting experience and slowly improving. Coleman seems to have replaced Brakefield in the rotation, unless it was just for yesterday. This team does not have the consistency to win the ACC tournament, so barring some drastic turnaround I will hope our guys come back and improve, which they should. Other than Hurt and Johnson. We need to learn how to win close games but I think that comes with experience.

Last edited:
He held the team accountable after the loss against Miami. Called them, "soft". They definitely competed last night, (something they did not do on Monday night), just came up short.

He should have continued holding them accountable. It was only competing because we were playing a team who has equally as bad fundamentals. They played hard, but does that matter when you are making mistake after mistake while playing hard? He can say we played hard, but still deserved to lose. Now they think it'll be fine to keep making boneheaded mistakes if they think that low bar performance is worthy of "winning". I understand your point, but just see it different.

Reactions: Devilinside
Tough loss. The silver lining is we are building towards next year and should be a lot better. it's not like we are getting blown out. If we were another team we would be saying watch out for them next year. This year is just tough. I did not watch the game; because in all honesty I thought we would lose and I don't enjoy watching us lose. Esp. that game. But guys are getting experience and slowly improving. Coleman seems to have replaced Brakefield in the rotation, unless it was just for yesterday. This team does not have the consistency to win the ACC tournament, so barring some drastic turnaround I will hope our guys come back and improve, which they should. Other than Hurt and Johnson. We need to learn how to win close games but I think that comes with experience.

I agree. The silver lining is that the players who showed up last night will still be with us next year with a year under thier belt.

Reactions: christophero
Anybody ever figure out what the hell Wendell was thinking on the last play/turnover?

It looked like a teammate was wide open in the lane. He was going up for the shot, but then saw the teammate at the last second.

Other than the holes going 13-22 from the free throw line, they played great. They had 3 guys that didn’t miss, going 13-13, with one of them 4-4 from 3’s. As a team, they shot over their head, 10-15. The only stat that isn’t surprising is they out rebounded us 38-31.
Duke only shot 7 free throws, going 4-7, and also got a subpar game from Matt Hurt. A loss is a loss, but if you see the stats, you’d think Duke got blown out, yet they had a chance to tie it at the end.

He should have continued holding them accountable. It was only competing because we were playing a team who has equally as bad fundamentals. They played hard, but does that matter when you are making mistake after mistake while playing hard? He can say we played hard, but still deserved to lose. Now they think it'll be fine to keep making boneheaded mistakes if they think that low bar performance is worthy of "winning". I understand your point, but just see it different.
Somehow I doubt these guys will think that making boneheaded mistakes is ok.

Other than the holes going 13-22 from the free throw line, they played great. They had 3 guys that didn’t miss, going 13-13, with one of them 4-4 from 3’s. As a team, they shot over their head, 10-15. The only stat that isn’t surprising is they out rebounded us 38-31.
Duke only shot 7 free throws, going 4-7, and also got a subpar game from Matt Hurt. A loss is a loss, but if you see the stats, you’d think Duke got blown out, yet they had a chance to tie it at the end.

UNC had 16 turnovers. I wouldn't say they played great. Shot well because of our poor perimeter defense on them but they didn't play great.

Last edited:
UNC had 16 turnovers. I wouldn't say they played great. Shot well because of our poor defense on them but they didn't play great.

To be fair, I did like and feel good that they didn't destroy us in the post and we held our own. The flipside is we let the shooters get good shots and UNC was having a good night with open shots. At the end of the day maybe our gameplan just backfired.

To be fair, I did like and feel good that they didn't destroy us in the post and we held our own. The flipside is we let the shooters get good shots and UNC was having a good night with open shots. At the end of the day maybe our gameplan just backfired.
I think that was it. We, rightfully, wanted them to beat us hitting outside shots. They just hit them, uncharacteristically.

My biggest gripe is the turnovers. So frustrating. And Wendell, you might want to go ahead and lay it in the basket. Otherwise I liked the effort and thought Johnson, Moore, Roach, and Baker played pretty well.

There’s nothing positive to really take out that game. Carolina is a bubble team at best. We’re losing close games to non tournament teams. We just aren’t good. It happens. It’s going down next year though. Coach K won’t even be able to mess that up too bad

Reactions: tripleb71
Anybody ever figure out what the hell Wendell was thinking on the last play/turnover?
My only thought was his intent was to drive in...suck in the defense and kick out for a three...got in so deep unexpectedly probably and just confused his own self...???

Reactions: geddoughton23
Be honest that they didn't play well. Turnovers were bad. Basketball IQ was bad. Only got to the FT line a few times and still didn't shoot them well. Didn't guard perimiter well. They won't get better being coddled that they were deserving to win. They weren't.
What he says to the press and what he says to the team privately are likely two very different things (and decibels).

What he says to the press and what he says to the team privately are likely two very different things (and decibels).

Very true Jeffrey. K had plenty of time to prepare for this game. The disciplined and calm responses in the presser doesnt necessarily mirror the message to team about this game. IMO after the loss at Miami, he probably figured the UNC game as start of season maker or breaker....K pretty much knows hes got to run the table at this point, or have no more than one loss.

OFC

Reactions: jeffrey236
Be honest that they didn't play well. Turnovers were bad. Basketball IQ was bad. Only got to the FT line a few times and still didn't shoot them well. Didn't guard perimiter well. They won't get better being coddled that they were deserving to win. They weren't.

For your benefit or the benefit of the team? K doesn’t give two shits what either of us think.

As someone else said, I don’t think K questioned their effort Saturday night. Against Miami their effort was embarrassing and he called it out.

Throwing shade on his team publicly isn’t really a trait K has adopted much over his 40+ years at Duke. Unlikely it will all of a sudden start now. Multiply the amount of frustration you and I have exponentially and that’s what K is feeling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT