ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
There are a couple of gameday threads every year that I geek out on when I get the honor of posting them. I know, I know, it’s probably silly - but, it’s special to me. I was trying to think back how long I’ve been doing this for, and how many Duke/Carolina games I’ve posted the gameday thread for...

If my time frame is accurate, I’ve been posting the Duke gameday threads since 2008-2009. That’s 12 years, two national championships, and many, many beat downs (ok and a couple losses) of the Holes during my time.

Many of the elder statesman around here (COUGH***COUGH) @skysdad and @OldasdirtDevil I get can remember back when Roshanritter (sp?) started them, and then literally one day came up missing lol...I’ve done it since, and I want to say thank you for allowing me the privelage that this tradition is for me.

So what my wife, and anyone that isn’t a part of this crazy family we call DI would know much this site, and most (yes I said most) of the posters on here are part of a very cool community of fanatics and in the process, have become friends. So thank you - from the bottom of my heart.

The point of ALL of my rambling, is to respect how uniquely awesome this rivalry is and they we get to live it two - occasionally three - amazing times a year; and we’re back for another round.

On to today’s game! I’m not sure what to think about tonight’s game. On one hand, I see a UNC team that’s down as much as they’ve been since the 2009-2010 season, which is amazingly fun to laugh it. But I also know that this rivalry is so intense, records can be thrown out the window and on top of that, we’re in the Dean Dome so I expect a battle. Nonetheless, I really like our chances. In fact, some of the best games we’ve played all year, were games where the stakes and media coverage were higher than normal and we’ve risen to the occasion.

Duke enters tonight tilt a -7.5 favorite. From a Vegas standpoint, it’s right we here I expected it to be, from a rivalry standpoint, that’s giving a lot all things considered. We will win but my gut says we won’t cover....

“The Rivalry” will tip tonight at 6pm est. and will air on ESPN.

Duke 82

UNC 77

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great way to start this thread K-Ville...not much to say after that except Duke by double digits.........oh and GTHC-GTH.

Let's Go

Duke 76
The Hertz Holes 74

I do believe this will be a battle. UNC will play like this is their NCAA title game and Roy may even use a timeout or two. I won’t be able to watch live because I’ve “got more important things to do”......;)

Reactions: hpnole
Well.. going to miss the game as it’s my wife’s birthday tomorrow so she wants to go out tonight.

I expect this game to be close.. real close.. as in UNC will lead and lead late. But I think Duke bands together and pulls out a win

Duke - 84
Them - 79

Unless our boys decide to pick things up in the effort department we’re walking out with the most embarrassing loss in this rivalry’s history.

Cheats- 75

Duke - 71

I expect a battle. We will make somebody that we least expect, like Playtex, look like an all-American, but in the end, I think we will prevail. Duke by 8-10 points!!! GO DUKE & GO TO HELL CRYOLINA!!!!!

OFC

I agree with Kville. I could see this one ending in 3 different ways. Us losing a really close one, beating them in a really close one, or us coming out and crushing them. I’m gonna say we don’t start slow in this one and put it in them

Duke 84
Them. 69

This one makes me nervous. As others have said I think they will play like it’s their national championship. If we don’t pick up the intensity tonight we are in the danger zone. I have to live with a die hard UNC fan so we really need to win. I never predict scores so I’ll just say we pull out a close one.

I just don’t think UNC can get crucial bucket after crucial bucket down the stretch. They need everything to go right in this game. We have a lot more room for error. I am going to go with Duke because this team consistently comes up big in big spots away from home. But I don’t think we cover.

Duke 80
UNC 73

Reactions: Quavarius
Anthony is due a good game for them. Like a few have mentioned, it will be close if we play like we have been. Coach publicly criticized the guys. I’m glad he did. I hope they respond like we want them to.

Like someone else said, you can throw out the records and rankings when these two teams meet. However, here are two things that work in Duke’s favor:

1- perimeter defense. If Cole is going to try to win the game himself, Tre, Wendell and Jordan will smoother him, making it difficult for post entry passes. The more havoc we cause on the perimeter, the better. Duke’s defense ranks 9th in the nation and UNC’s offense ranks 135th

2- if it is a close game, UNC has proven they are not good in close games and have literally given games away in the late minutes to teams worse than Duke.

Duke 79
UNC 69

Rebounding and turnovers will be crucial in this one. If Duke can hang on the boards and not turn it over they will have a great chance. Hurt could be a major key if he can hit shots and pull a big out to stop the double on Vernon.

I can’t wait to see this game, hope we can end it with a beat down that crushes Carolinas soul for the rest of the season. Unfortunately I doubt Carolina plays like their record.

Reactions: sheyduke
I'm more nervous now than what I thought I'd be at the first of January. UNC has played just poor enough to lose, while Duke has played barely well enough to win. This is the biggest game of the year for the cheats and they know this is their only chance to get the season in order. Gonna be a stressful one I'm afraid.

Bad feeling about this one. I fear TV Teddy Valentine (in Roy's pocket ever since he was reprimanded unofficially by Swofford few years ago for not discussing a call w/Joel Berry) will call game and Carey picks up 2 fouls in first five minutes.

Concerned about rebounding and defending their inside game. Does Vernon get any help on the boards or do they play volleyball on 2nd and 3rd shots????

The Cheats are by far the most desperate team and know a win tonite and and maybe 17-18 wins gets them in tourney. (Swofford pull). Please let me be wrong, 78-75 Cheats..
ESPN HD as all Duke-Cheats game....OFC

Reactions: PixelDevil
Bad feeling about this one. I fear TV Teddy Valentine (in Roy's pocket ever since he was reprimanded unofficially by Swofford few years ago for not discussing a call w/Joel Berry) will call game and Carey picks up 2 fouls in first five minutes.

Concerned about rebounding and defending their inside game. Does Vernon get any help on the boards or do they play volleyball on 2nd and 3rd shots????

The Cheats are by far the most desperate team and know a win tonite and and maybe 17-18 wins gets them in tourney. (Swofford pull). Please let me be wrong, 78-75 Cheats..
ESPN HD as all Duke-Cheats game....OFC
giphy.gif

@skysdad.....you’ve been kind of quiet today. You awake? You feel ok? You DID do that “thing” right? Made the drop? Eagle has landed?
I’m nervous he hasn’t responded. Did Roy intercept the drop? Is @skysdad in Roy’s basement putting the lotion on the skin to avoid the hose again? Is he tied up in Roy’s rental drug house with PJ blowing bong hits in his face? Did he get swept under a rug? IS HE UNDER A BUS WITH THE UNC PLAYERS?!?!?!?

Some stats:

UNC offense:
29.6% from 3 (323rd)
45.6% from 2 (312th)
65.6% from FT (311th)

UNC defense:
33.3% from 3
47.0% from 2
73.4% from FT

Duke offense:
35.4% from 3 (73rd)
54.5% from 2 (19th)
69.2% from FT (221st)

Duke defense:
29.2% from 3 (22nd)
45.7% from 2 (65th)
66.6% from FT (30th)

Duke 82
UNC 70

After some initial nerves, Duke keeps a healthy margin, the crowd never plays a factor. 'Ol Huckleberry manages to use two timeouts.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I’m nervous he hasn’t responded. Did Roy intercept the drop? Is @skysdad in Roy’s basement putting the lotion on the skin to avoid the hose again? Is he tied up in Roy’s rental drug house with PJ blowing bong hits in his face? Did he get swept under a rug? IS HE UNDER A BUS WITH THE UNC PLAYERS?!?!?!?

It’s gonna be your fault if @OldasdirtDevil makes a meme of @skysdad down in a pit with Roy lowering a basket to him!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT