ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS GONZAGA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

They need to start doing prophylactic IV’s for some of these guys, to avoid cramps. Problem is, if they overdo it, they’ll be running in to take leaks often lol.

Great win by our guys. Moore was just ridiculous in the 2nd half and Banchero was amazing in the 1st half. Mark was great the entire game and Keels played amazing defense. These cramps almost cost us the game, as did our FT shooting. We’ve got access to one of the best medical teams in the world and they can’t figure out how to deal with potential cramps?This will end up costing us and I just hope it’s in the regular season versus the NCAA/ACC tournaments. Need to get this figured out and have to shoot better at the FT line.

Great game to watch and was thrilled that we pulled out the win!!!
My soon to be daughter in law worked at Alabama as the football team’s nutritionist and she said that they had ten to twelve players who received an IV before each game and at halftime as a preventative measure against cramps.Paulo appears to need this.

Duke at +8.5 was the easiest money I’ve seen all season. If you knew this Duke team you knew we would keep it close. But wow, solid game on a big stage, what a clutch win.

Reactions: Quavarius
Duke is back. We just announced it to the world. And it's not like we shot the lights out or played a perfect game. This is my favorite Duke team since 2015.

Great win. Nice to see Williams accept the challenge against Timme and Holmgren. He seems to be the Williams we all expected from last year. Let's keep it going against Ohio State next week. LFG Duke!!!!!!!

Keels and Moore's physical play got the better of Gonzaga's guards, although Strawther played good. Nembhard was off. Timme did not go crazy; he seemed bothered by our length.

Reactions: Quavarius
My soon to be daughter in law worked at Alabama as the football team’s nutritionist and she said that they had ten to twelve players who received an IV before each game and at halftime as a preventative measure against cramps.Paulo appears to need this.
Yes, it’s not rocket science. If they are already doing this then they need to figure something else out. I get it happening against Kentucky. Lesson leaned but it shouldn’t have happened again. If it happens against Ohio State then we need to make some changes.

I have to admit, when I saw Wendell as a freshman, I didn’t think he had a big upside. I was wrong. This kid has seriously impressed me.
I always hoped he would develop into a C-well type player. He’s getting there. May already be there

Reactions: Fourteen44
The Ohio State game worries me a bit. It's the type of trap/letdown game we've historically lost. But we have a tough team. It will be another great test. But make no mistake; they are capable of beating us. But I trust coach will have them ready. It will be our first true road game. Another great experience for the team. I think we win, but it will be a grinder. But for this weekend I'm just gonna enjoy our huge victory.

Last edited:
The Ohio State game worries me a bit. It's the type of trap/letdown game we've historically lost. But we have a tough team. It will be another great test. But make no mistake; they are capable of beating us. But I trust coach will have them ready. It will be our first true road game. Another great experience for the team. I think we win, but it will be a grinder. But for this weekend I'm just gonna enjoy our huge victory.
The OSU game worries me too but so did Gonzaga. Got to put Gonzaga behind us and look at our next game as the biggest game of the year and do not look ahead at the schedule and try to figure out what our won -loss record is going to be at any point in the season. Yea I know it is said over and over again but it is true. One game at a time. OFC

Great win.

The only thing that really worries me about this team is Keels. Talented player and love his defense. But he reminds me a bit of RJ Barrett (though not as good) with his shot selection. He's just not a good 3 point shooter - streaky and inconsistent. Barrett was similar and took too many bad shots that he missed in critical NCAA games.

And there were times when he forced shots and had guys open for 3s if he looked to pass.

Not having guards that can shoot the 3 is going to hurt at some point. Neither Keels nor Roach are good from the outside.

Would love to see Griffin come on and be more involved in the offense. He has a better shot. Baker can shoot but he just does not have that killer instinct when he shoots. It's much more, "Please go in this time," and if a few go in he can get hot. But in reality he's not a guy you can rely on.

Reactions: christophero
Great win.

The only thing that really worries me about this team is Keels. Talented player and love his defense. But he reminds me a bit of RJ Barrett (though not as good) with his shot selection. He's just not a good 3 point shooter - streaky and inconsistent. Barrett was similar and took too many bad shots that he missed in critical NCAA games.

And there were times when he forced shots and had guys open for 3s if he looked to pass.

Not having guards that can shoot the 3 is going to hurt at some point. Neither Keels nor Roach are good from the outside.

Would love to see Griffin come on and be more involved in the offense. He has a better shot. Baker can shoot but he just does not have that killer instinct when he shoots. It's much more, "Please go in this time," and if a few go in he can get hot. But in reality he's not a guy you can rely on.
Two very different players. I think Keels will improve from the outside. He's a better shooter than his %'s indicate IMO.

He shot it pretty well against Kentucky. I see the comparison though. Both can be frustrating as they get one track minds and drive to the cup.

Keels handles it well though and had a couple of really nice passes to Mark. His ability to handle the ball + Moore & Roach makes our PG by committee actually something that i like. We do need to shoot better from the outside. But we just beat Gonzaga with Roach & Keels going 5-24. I'll take it- i think they'll shoot better but we're good enough defensively to win those sorts of games

Reactions: youngman42
I do think our guards need to shoot better down the line, but we just beat the number one ranked team so these are nice problems to have. But a 5 for 24 performance in the tournament could send us home, so I expect that to improve. We have a month to get AJ into the regular rotation which is great.

Last edited:
Keels just creates a matchup problem on both ends of the floor so I think we need him to play better moreso than Roach. He just needs to make his free throws because he can out muscle any guard and get them and their centers in fouls trouble when they come over to try and block it.

I know Theo has gained a lot of new fans since he’s joined the team. He also has his own t-shirts FYI

Reactions: skysdad
if I recall correctly, Roach hit a couple clutch shots as the game was winding down. One being a layup.
He did. He also hit that little jumper in the lane. He was wide open, but it was still a huge shot at the time.

Really Joey's two threes were huge too, because they came when Paolo was out and we were having trouble finding our offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT