ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS GARDNER-WEBB OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Coming off of last Friday and Saturday's wins over Army and Campbell, Duke enters tonight's game against the Bulldogs of Gardner-Webb 3-0.

It's hard to tell where this team is right now, because they didn't have dominant performances really in either win. At this point, the most glaring thing to me is the continued need for perimeter scoring. Hopefully that continues to come along.

The Bulldogs (0-2) are certainly a respectable team out of the Big South whose losses came at the hands of UNLV (64-58) and #16 Arkansas in a blowout. Gardener-Webb is picked to finish third in the south division of the Big South Conference.

I think we will win this game, but I don't see us blowing GW out of the water.

Tonight's game is slated to tip at 7pm est and will air on the ACC Network. A spread for the game has yet to be posted.

Duke - 79

Gardner-Webb - 66

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach K Fact #4: Mike Krzyewski was born on the west side of Chicago on February 13th, 1947 to Polish-American parents William and Emily Krzyzewski. Coach K had one older brother, the late Bill Krzyzewski who sadly passed on Christmas Day of 2012.

What channel is the game on if I’m in the Charlotte area (I live 15 min from Gardner Webb)

Update: Are you sure it’s ACC Network? I’m seeing “RSN”

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
We still win but with all that's going on with the arrests, it will hamper the mood of the team. Williams AJ and Joey need to step up.

Duke 65
GW 56

What channel is the game on if I’m in the Charlotte area (I live 15 min from Gardner Webb)

Update: Are you sure it’s ACC Network? I’m seeing “RSN”
Me too. Hopefully that translates to Bally on my system.

I thought ESPN was carrying every Duke game this year in honor of K?

GW has played decent in two games albeit lost both.

Close game vs UNLV
Lost @ #16 Arkansas but played even in 2nd half.

Duke is -21

Duke 71
GWebb 53

Big games from Keels, Mark and Baker.

This could go either way with the events of the last couple days...

1) Team looks out of it and unfocused for large spans. Not much emotion... and we let them stick around

2) This somehow lights an unwarranted fire in their belly and they come out guns blazing.

I'm hopeful it's 2

Duke - 84
Them - 62

Duke 90
Gardner-Webb 68

The game is on ACCRSN, which for those that have Dish Network, ACCRSN is channel 412-28.

Just a note. The game is on ACCNX not ACCN. OFC

Quite the last 5 mins bar the phantom foul for 3 at the end. Good intensity and nice to see Mark getting after it on both ends

Other than that dumb foul call at the end, we played as well as we could have. Everything was there from defense rebounding and balanced scoring. Let's keep it up and put this team away by the 10 minute mark and get AJ Jones and Baker some playing time

Just got home from a long day of work and watched the highlights.
5 thoughts.
1. Mark got the memo. He looks like late last season mark, and it seemed to be a point of emphasis to get him the ball.
2. Who is that number 3 guy? Roach playing with a bounce and swagger I'm not sure I've seen.
3. Baker playing with confidence. A few nice drives and 12 points.
4. Keels looks like Kentucky Keels. That's my new nickname for him.
5. AJ with a nice drive and a 3. Not sure how good GW is, but we looked great tonight. I'll take it.

Last edited:
I liked the game Roach played a lot. That and Kheels hitting some shots were great.

The team defense, if it continues to improve, could be the best we've seen in a decade. Unlike some teams (like the '15 team) there are no weak links.

We're starting to see where Griffin can be a very valuable piece off the bench. His disruptive influence on defense and rebounding ability bring a different talent to this team. Right now he's basically a "3 and D" kind of guy but I think he's still trying to get the rust off regarding his ball handling. I really like it when he comes in the game.

Reactions: KDSTONE
I didn't get a chance to watch yet, but will have to check it out tonight.

Looking at the box score, lots of positives. Nice seeing nobody playing even 30 min in a blowout like this. Nice seeing nobody taking double digit shots - the shooting/scoring was super well balanced. Nice seeing Baker and Theo and AJ get some run, although I do wish AJ had played, say, 26 min instead of 16 min.

The last time I checked recruit ratings pre-season, AJ was ranked 13th in the class, and Keels was ranked 19th. We all know ranking high school kids is more art than science, but I think it's at least an indication of how good AJ can be if he gets comfortable out there.

Really hoping Mark Williams keeps improving. I assumed (and said on this board) that he'd have an up and down season and we shouldn't expect him to dominate just because he dominated a handful of games at the end of last season. It's the rare 19-year old seven footer whose skills have caught up to his size. But Mark is talented and can be a crucial piece for us if he develops well over the course of the season.

Or is UVA just not good? I was looking at both angles and not sure...
UVA Isn't that good. They lost to Navy at home in their home opener. Since then, Navy has lost to VA Tech by 20 then Louisville by 17.

On a side note, Michigan lost to Seton Hall at home last night. We should move up a spot or two as long as we win Friday.

Reactions: Fourteen44

Looking at the box score, lots of positives. Nice seeing nobody playing even 30 min in a blowout like this. Nice seeing nobody taking double digit shots - the shooting/scoring was super well balanced. Nice seeing Baker and Theo and AJ get some run, although I do wish AJ had played, say, 26 min instead of 16 min.

The last time I checked recruit ratings pre-season, AJ was ranked 13th in the class, and Keels was ranked 19th. We all know ranking high school kids is more art than science, but I think it's at least an indication of how good AJ can be if he gets comfortable out there.

Really hoping Mark Williams keeps improving. I assumed (and said on this board) that he'd have an up and down season and we shouldn't expect him to dominate just because he dominated a handful of games at the end of last season. It's the rare 19-year old seven footer whose skills have caught up to his size. But Mark is talented and can be a crucial piece for us if he develops well over the course of the season.

When you watch, I think you'll see from minutes 5 or so to the end of the first half, this is what our team can be when it's hitting on all cylinders.

Reactions: DukeJim99
Houston had it all in that game. The energy, defense , rebounding, shooting, everything. Just 1 game against UVA but it’s the best I’ve saw this season by any team. No idea what that means but yea. They passed the ball great and made contested shots which you have to do to beear uva

Good call with the rec rankings. If Aj is anywhere close to Keels I like our chances going forward. Great to see Mark looking like end of last year Mark

Reactions: DukeJim99
Virginia has built such a respectful program and Tony Bennett is a flat out winner. However, they look really down this year and may not even be a middle of the pack ACC team.

Reactions: Fourteen44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT